The Aristobrats

The Aristobrats

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"It's all about the Attitude"

Parker Bell knows the secret to beauty is pretty simplewearing the right clothes isn't as important as how you feel in them. Popularity is like that too. It's all about attitude. You have to picture who you want to be and then just imagine that's who you already are.

This year Parker and her three best friends have made their way to the top of t...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

Blodeuedd Finland
Not what I usually read, but I wanted to try a younger book once too, and I did. What can I say, it was a cute one.

I never like books that try too much to be young, or show the worst side of kids, since they are nice kids too that never did stuff like that. I was one of those and I rather read about those too. This book has hip kids, prepsters, and slang, but it felt real.

Parker goes to a fancy private school, she had her 3 best friends and she year she will rule the school. But not in mean girl...more
Renee
I really started to read a lot when I was introduced to the school library in elementary school and discovered the Sweet Valley High books and The Babysitter's Club. It was fun to read about girls who were a lot like me and yet different in so many ways. Todays girls have waaaay more options that I did including this new book from Jennifer Solow, The Aristobrats. I really think it's what a lot of younger kids today are looking for and something that their parents wouldn't mind them reading.

The...more
Lauren
Sep 19, 2010 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting too much from this one, but it ended up surprising me in some very good ways, because not only was it a cute and fun read but it also had some really great messages underneath it all; just an all around awesome addition to the tween reading list, in my opinion.

The Aristrobrats tells the story of four girls- Parker, Kiki, Plum, and Ikea- who've been inseparable since they began the exclusive Wallingford Academy all those years ago, and this year (the eighth...more
Kelsey
The Aristobrats was an entertaining and original start to what I'm sure will be a very fun series.

In middle school I loved reading series like The Clique and Gossip Girl. They were my guilty pleasure reads that I could finish in a couple of hours. The Aristobrats was similar but it was much more positive and full of girl power. While Parker and her three besties are all about being popular and setting new trends, they also care about other people and just want to be kind and positive. Other stud...more
Victoria Burke
I thought this was great for preteens. It has a great storyline and would definitely encourage them to read because it will remind them of their school life and friends with trying to fit in. I thought the storyline was realistic. The only thing unrealistic about the story was the school, however if my school everybody else school was like theirs they would love school. The school reminded me of Hogwarts with the themes and computerize stuff. Except it doesn't have any magical beings such as wiz...more
Alea
The Aristobrats is about a group of girls that while high on the popularity scale aren't really what you would consider mean girls, not really, they really like their popularity but for the most part they are nice to other students which was refreshing!

The book was very current which was good and bad, I loved the idea of someone like Steve Jobs providing the school with all sort of current gadgets like giant screens and tablets and things that let you spy on classrooms making it an ultra-techy s...more
Margaret
Did you see the guest post from Jennifer? What a turn of events! Such madness with a creativity avenue underlying -- desperate to break through.

I think it was when we lived in Monroe, where I discovered a quaint children's book shop that specialized in getting teens into reading. The shelves were lined with books of interest. While I perused I was shocked and taken aback and some of the genres. Books that I felt certain should be classified as adult romances were being sold, and apparently writt...more
Katie
The Aristobrats has an interesting premise but couldn't seem to hold my attention. It was hard to get into from the beginning and I didn't feel like it was something I could relate to. This is definitely a book aimed for younger readers.

Parker Bell's eighth grade year is supposed to be the best ever. She will get with the guy of her dreams, climb to the top of the populadder, and basically rule Wallingford Academy. From the very start of the year there are two problems: she and her friends have...more
Cindy Hudson
Parker, Ikea, Plum and Kiki can’t wait for eighth grade to start at the exclusive Wallingford Academy. They feel like they’ve earned the privilege of being at the top of the social heap and are set to reap the rewards before they leave for high school. The foursome is inseparable, even signing off on emails and texts with the acronym “Lylas”—Love you like a sister.

But the year gets off to a rocky start when the principal assigns them the job of producing Wallingford Academy Today, a webcast prod...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

At first glance, The Aristobrats sounds like it will be a book about popular girls who are mean and only care about themselves. Take another look. It’s actually a book that teaches important lessons about friendship and self-confidence.

Parker and her best friends (Plum, Ikea, and Kiki) are at the top of the populadder at their exclusive private school. In case you didn’t know it, a populadder is “the unseen hierarchical system of popularity, the bottom two-thirds of which don’t count.” Al...more
Ronni
I promised Jennifer that I would review this months ago, and I am finally following through. Sorry for taking so long, Jennifer!

I'm going to be the first to say that I am not the world's best reviewer. I used to have a "book review blog" years ago, way before they became popular, and I didn't keep up with it because I realized it's not my strength. (Get me blogging about Disney World, on the other hand....) Still, I am going to give it my best shot.

At first glance, it may seem that The Aristobra...more
Page (One Book At A Time)
My first guy reaction was I don't really like this. But, it's not because this isn't a good book. I just don't identify with it. And that's ok, because not every book written is going to have cross over appeal. So, I continued on with the idea that I'm previewing it for my daughter's to read when they are older.

While, I still had a hard time with the lingo (thank god there's a glossary in the back lol), I ended up liking the story for the message I think it portrays. I think it has a really pos...more
Annie McElfresh
This novel puts me in the mindset of the wildly popular 'Clique' series. It was seriously cute. There was so much girl power and talk of besties you couldn't help to fall in love with the four friends in this novel. It was a refreshing read, taking back to the side of YA for younger readers (I recommend ages 10-14 for this one), because the focus was on the the struggle of popularity and true friends.

This is a cute series. Read book one of the Aristobrats series if you're into Clique and Babysi...more
Inspired Kathy
I am definitely not the target audience for this book. It held little crossover appeal to me as an adult reader. It does have a good message about friendship and what is important in life and will likely appeal to tweens!
For a chance to win a copy stop by my blog to enter my giveaway which runs through Sept. 24th.
Ashley
Sent to me by a publisher to review on the blog ... 'fraid I'm having a hard time connecting with the rich and oh-so stylishly shallow 13-y-o characters, however ...

Turned out to be a fun-ish kind of book after all. :)
Julie
Sep 17, 2010 Julie added it
trying very hard to read this book --but can't get past that someone is called ikea. Will pass along to my daughter to read.
Nishk
Very awesome book! The slang was kinda confusing bug whatever
Caitlin
I just started but, can barely put it down!
Sabina Ali
Sabina Ali marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
koko kringles
koko kringles marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Balletprincess
Balletprincess marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jennifer Solow is the author of THE ARISTOBRATS (Sourcebooks, Jabberwocky, September 1, 2010) – about four best friends who’ve finally made it the very top of the populadder at Wallingford Academy only to be handed an assignment that threatens to ruin everything (even their friendship).

Like her characters, Jennifer once attended an exclusive private school where her spot on the populadder waivere...more
More about Jennifer Solow...
The Booster Stay Pretty Wallingford: The Aristobrats Aristobrats

“The secret was pretty simple — wearing the right clothes wasn’t as important as how you felt in them. Being beautiful was about what you did with what you had. Popularity was like that too — it was all about attitude. You had to picture who you wanted to be and then just imagine that’s who you already were.” 3 likes