Start by marking “The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You” as Want to Read:
The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You

The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  44 reviews
From Chris Widener, the author of the breakout bestseller The Angel Inside, comes an inspiring new parable on the power of influence.

The Art of Influence will make you think twice about everything you've ever learned about influence. As Chris Widener’s inspiring story reveals, it’s not something you "do" to other people but rather something that starts with how you shape a
Published July 8th 2008 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Influence

Joseph McBee
The parable style of business books is a successful sub-genre and I typically enjoy them. In these slim volumes one can often find some great nuggets of truth as well as some practical methods for applying this truth to their business and personal lives.

Unfortunately, some of these books have far more fluff than substance. I don't think that is the case with this one though.

In THE ART OF INFLUENCE, Widener writes about the four laws of influence. There isn't too much that's new here. The laws ar
Avel
Recommended by a mentor. A parable on influence and its fundamental role in leadership. As Chris says it: "Influence is the key to success. Influence is the art of business." Through the story of Marcus and Bobby, we learn about the Four Golden Rules of Influence:

1) Live a life of undivided integrity
2) Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3) Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4) Don't settle for anything less than excellence

While the above learnings are by no means
Michael
In this book, Widener creates a parable to teach his four principles of influence (Live a life of undivided integrity; Always demonstrate a positive attitude; Consider other people's interests as more important than your own; Don't settle for anything less than excellence). It's a good message, and I certainly fall short of living up to these principles (particularly #2 and #3). But I would argue that while this message is good, it's not "good enough." It's not true enough to the gritty reality ...more
Krishna Kumar
Except for rare instances like “The Goal”, I hate cooked-up anecdotes written for illustrating some business principle. “The Art of Influence” is an excellent example of how bad it can get. Here is the basic story outline: A business graduate gets to spend a few days with a rich billionaire, who teaches him the rules of influencing people. The story ends with the billionaire providing some start-up capital for the graduate’s idea and offering additional money for equity in the future.

So what’s w
La capacidad de influir en el entorno y en los demás es la clave del éxito en el arte de los negocios. PESCAS O CAZAS? La persuasión es como la caza y la influencia es como la pesca.
Reglas de Oro del arte de la influencia:
1-Lleva una vida integra sin condiciones.
2-Demuestra una actitud positiva en todo momento.
3-Antepón los intereses de los demás a los tuyos.
4-No te conformes con nada menos que la perfección.

Omar Halabieh
This book was recommended to me by my mentor. This book is a parable on influence and its fundamental role in leadership. As Chris describes it: "Influence is the key to success. Influence is the art of business." Through the story of Marcus and Bobby, we learn about the Four Golden Rules of Influence:

1) Live a life of undivided integrity

2) Always demonstrate a positive attitude

3) Consider other people's interests as more important than your own

4) Don't settle for anything less than excellence

Wh
Surfergirl
Susan
This book was fine, nothing spectacular. It changed the way I define "influence," which gives me a good starting point for developing myself. I didn't like that the book was formatted as a fictional narrative. That was kind of weird. I listened to the audiobook which was read by the author. He wasn't the best. It was only two hours though.
Mary Olivera
Outstanding

have been reading about leadership came across Chris Widened series and his influence teachings. made me immediately get the book and begin my path to success utilizing the tools he provided
Jessica
These were nice reminders of how to be a good person. The format made it a quick read. Did I love it? No. But I'd rather read this than Dale Carnegie- it's a simpler, easier version of that.
Annie
An okay book, with a couple of mild insights. That said - throughout this book, with the partial exception of the grandmother, women act solely as loving wife-pets. Could have been written in 1950.
Eugene Kok
If I could pass a book to any teenager who embarks to the working world. This would be the ultimate book that leads in career, relationship and life!
Fox
Mar 31, 2009 Fox rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fox by: Library
Shelves: fiction, 2009
The Art of Influence was a very quick read. I saw this book in the Non-Fiction section of new releases, and it seemed interesting enough. I'm always up to figuring out how to better myself and a small hardcover like this seemed like it would come to me right when I needed it. The Four Golden Rules of Influence discussed in the book:

Live a life of undivided integrity

Always Demonstrate a Positive Attitude

Consider Other People's Interests As More Important Than Your Own

Don't Settle For Anything Les
Rachel
This was a short and easy read recommended by my librarian. It was told through a story format that was enjoyable and easy to follow.
Karen Kenney
Interesting take on the power of influence in the business world.
John
good little story with true principles...as well as nice and short
Richard Stephenson
Being able to put such important soft-skills, or characteristics, into a good old, semi-believable story is a good thing. I got well absorbed into the journey of Marcus through his path to world-wide-domination... oh... I mean leadership and growth.

It was fun to listen to (I checked out the audiobook version) and even brought up a few really good points I had not considered before. Double whammy!

Recommend it to anyone looking to be a leader, entrepreneur, intrapreneur, or just an all around more
Michelle
Oct 03, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in learning about him or herself
Amazing book that is not very long and had my six-year-old sitting on the edge of his bed every night, waiting for what happens next. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite certain this book is meant for the adult mentality, but everyone can learn something about allowing or not allowing influence to either impede or strengthen him or herself.

I'm utilizing this work to allow my son to understand at a young age the power influence can have and hopefully how to bridle it.
I really enjoyed this story. a great way to get across the Four Golden Rules of Influence.
Jessica Hobson
Recommended by an executive at my company. Good for sales philosophy! Quick Read!
Lisa
A great little parable with theories on influence that were easy to grasp thanks to the story line they were put to. The art of influence is based on 4 core points:

1. Live a life of undivided integrity
2. Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3. Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4. Don't settle for anything less than excellence
Yuki
"If you want to attract people of vision (or a certain character trait) you have to be a person of vision (that character trait)"

Golden rules:
1. Live with integrity
2. Choose optimism
3. Take and show interest in people
4. Work on yourself- lead by example

Easy good read, simple rules which I completely agree with.
Recommended.
Artlibrarian
What would you look for in a person that you would allow to influence you?
List ten things you look for in a leader:
Honesty
good listening skills
an ability to communicate
courage
positive attitude

Consider other people's interests as more important than you.
Suz
Four main points to take away:

1. Live a life of undivided integrity
2. Always demonstrate a positive attitude
3. Consider other people's interests as more important than your own
4. Don't settle for anything less than excellence

Book was rather cheesy, but made good points.
Tim
A simple narrative suitable for the novice who is starting on his or her personal development quest.

The book was good enough in my opinion to make some notes in my journal.

The book is one I'd recommend to anyone who needs and wants a primer in "The Art of Influence".
Ken
Once again, Chris Widener hits a homerun. The (4) Golden Rules shared in this story are rules for success in ALL ASPECTS of our life. They are not diccicult & are vey simple to follow. The problem with most of us is thart we never take the time to focus on them.
Thomas
I can see how the idea of this book is well-regarded but the approach was so stupid and annoying I absolutely hated it - I pictured a person reading the book to me and I wanted to punch them. There's much better books out there with the same advice.
JP
An elegant story that explains the difference between influence and persuasion. Widener explains how influence requires character, backed by effort and good relationships. Given the short time it takes to read, I would recommend this to anyone.
Irene Timm
The "Four Golden Rules of Influence" say it all. Quality business books (and their authors) and quality people define themselves in ways that are in line with the highest aspirations of personal development and religious traditions.
Shelby
1.Living a Life of Undivided Integrity.

2.Always Demonstrate a Positive Attitude.

3.Consider Other People’s Interests as More Important Than Your Own.

4.Don’t Settle For Anything Less Than Excellence.
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • Final Blackout
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
  • The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • A Maze of Stars
  • Night Noises
  • More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • One Christmas
  • Science: A Four Thousand Year History
Chris Widener is one of the rising stars of the personal development field.

Chris has been speaking professionally since 1988 and has shared the stage with top political figures, nationally known television news anchors, best-selling authors, and professional athletes. He has spoken on motivation and leadership to groups at some of America's finest organizations such as General Electric, Cisco Syst
More about Chris Widener...
The Angel Inside: Michelangelo's Secrets For Following Your Passion and Finding the Work You Love Twelve Pillars The Image Leadership Rules: How to Become the Leader You Want to Be How to Talk to Anybody, Anytime, Anywhere: 3 Steps to Make Instant Connections