Start by marking “The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)” as Want to Read:

The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name Is America)

Librarian's Note: This is alternate cover edition #1
ISBN 10: 059043814X
ISBN13: 9780590438148

See: Original Record Here

Newbery Honor author Jim Murphy portrays the brave and rigorous army life of a 16-year-old Union soldier who has been ordered by his commanding officer to keep a written record of G Company during the most brutal years of the Civil War.
--- Amazon

James Edmo
Hardcover, First Edition, 173 pages
Published 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier

Mina B
Jun 07, 2016 Mina B rated it really liked it
I read this book only because it seemed interesting to my partners. I was surprised at how much action there was though. I ended up giving the book four stars instead of one or two as I originally thought before I read this book. I learned that you should NEVER judge a book by its cover literally
Jorge
Sep 29, 2008 Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy journals and history
The Journal of James Edmond Pease is a really good book that talks about the civil war of Virginia. This book is about private James Edmond Pease's expierience during Virginia's civil war. Learn how James survived during the war and his life afterwards. This book will teach readers to never lose hope and to never give up. People who read this book will get new perspectives about life and war.
Jacob
The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier Book Review
The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier by Jim Murphy

The second book that I read this term was The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier by Jim Murphy. Basically, the book is about the adventures that James has while fighting for the Union in the Civil War. The book focuses on the Civil War battles that take place in Virginia and describes the part that James plays in them.

My favorite part of the book was when James got separated from the rest of the Union

Beverly
Feb 21, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
James is an orphan, raised by Aunt and Uncle. They do not make him feel loved or welcome, so he escapes during the night. After days of walking, he joins the 122 Regiment of NY Volunteers of Onondaga County. In later campfires, as each tells why they volunteered, James brings laughter when he responds, "I needed a pair of boots and a good meal."

He is chosen to keep a journal of the Regiment's History, because his handwriting is more legible than most. His impression of the early battles are spri
Krista
Apr 25, 2010 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This account of an "unlucky" underage boy who lied his way into the Union army in order to get "boots and a hot supper" is a gripping story, told through entries in a diary and punctuated periodically by sketches, ostensibly done by Pease.

Not as much violence as there could have been, certainly, but still enough to make me think twice about letting my son read this (a precocious six year old) for another couple of years.

But a fine telling in a believable voice with top-notch maps and a fine his
Elaine Shipley-pope
Jul 30, 2014 Elaine Shipley-pope rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I am actually not a fan of the My Name Is America series. However I included them on my quest to read all the Dear America books. The reason why I'm not a fan is that I find them boring. I find them lacking something that the original Dear America series (for the most part) has. Though this specific book caught my interest long enough that I didn't struggle to make myself finish it. Its about a Civil War soldier who, at the command of his officer, keeps a journal to record the lives of his compa ...more
Ian
Aug 06, 2010 Ian rated it really liked it
I remember really liking this particular book. Mind you, I read it five years ago, but I believe I still recall a scene from the book: the main character going on a mad rampage against the enemy and successfully driving them back like a viking's beserker mode. That was one of my favourite scenes of all time and has stuck with me. What I learned from this book: Mad men are great fun.
Katie
Mar 02, 2012 Katie is currently reading it
Shelves: books
very interesting and when you get to where james fights you can't lay the book down
Nicole
Dec 02, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
My favourite part was the freaking spy-level badassness of a slave character as she runs rings around her 'masters' and tricked the hell out of them.
Clint Keller
Nov 29, 2011 Clint Keller rated it liked it
The Journal of James Edmond Pease, a novel made by the My Name is America series, is a story of a young civil war soldier who has to keep record of his group of men called G company. James Pease, who is 16 decided to join the army because of his dislike of being home with his uncle and aunt. After the past two journal keepers were kill in action, Pease recieved the job even though he thought it was bad luck. Through out the book though he realized that keeping the journal actually kept him sane ...more
Patrick
Feb 21, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story contains is a lot of information about the Civil War packed into a short text. The slaves in the story speak French, which brings an interesting dynamic to the text. Also, the narrator's lack of education is a focus of the story. The text includes a recurrance of grammatical errors, i.e. always substituting "was" for the correct were. The misspellings do add a spice of realism to the tale, but too often feel forced into the text. Surprisingly, the story highlights episodes of PTSD that ...more
Ericka
Dec 01, 2009 Ericka rated it it was amazing
4th-8th grade

Murphy draws you into his book from page one. The outside of the book is gray in color showing a faded background of a civil war field with a charcoal picture of a young boy. This young boy is meant to represent James Edmond Pease. The story is technically broken into days not by chapters. The diary goes from the prelude of explaining he had help writing, to Nov 6th- May 13th of 1865. The writing is made to depict the era. The pages are from top to bottom of a smaller font with litt
Anna
At first, I found this installment of the "Dear America" series to be rather slow since it had a lot of war and army jargon. But it moved along a lot faster by the time Pease lost his company. Then, I was amazed by how moving the rest of the story was. Pease's encounters with death especially choked me up. I felt inspired by his courage despite his fear - amazing for a boy of only 16 years old fighting in a bloody war.

Perhaps it is only my love of the American Civil War that made me enjoy this b
Jenny
Jan 18, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, tween
James Edmond Pease is a 15 year old boy fighting in the civil war who is given the assignment by his lieutenant to keep a record of his experiences. He thinks he is horribly unlucky and will probably die soon, but does as he is ordered. I enjoyed the book from the first "entry." It totally reminded me of my boys journal entries -sparse- and the need to give them specific instructions to get anything written. A fun, quick read.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Rebecca Rash
Jan 31, 2014 Rebecca Rash rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! When one can learn so much history, and yet be so drawn into a story that they can't put the book down, I say it's a keeper! James is a really interesting character as well; he has little self confidence but still rises to every challenge that faces him. He is persistent, and quick-witted - and he is an excellent writer. ;) There was a couple of swear words which could very well have been avoided. Otherwise recommended for ages 12 and up.
Judine
Jul 18, 2008 Judine rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is part of the Scholastic "Dear America" series and is subject to the usual litany of complaints attached (author unclear, how factual is it?, etc.). However, this account of a 16-year-old who lied his way into the Union army in order to get "boots and a hot supper" is a touching, believable account that is the best of any of the series I've read to date.
Arnetta
Aug 20, 2016 Arnetta rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I always try to put myself into a story and think about how I'd feel. This makes it a lot easier. He's a minor who lied about his age to volunteer. The author read multiple journals of real underage soldiers and took that info, merged it into the journal of James. Very informative....always an interesting read.
Zoe
Aug 02, 2015 Zoe rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book right now. Because it actually happened to someone. And just by reading their journal I can read about what happened to the person at the time. Plus this was so interesting. I couldn't put the book down. I totally recommend the Dear America Journals.
Conner
Dec 15, 2010 Conner rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-quarter
I liked this book it was just how the war was. It had Great action and exitment. In the book it talked about a man that was in the civil war. That did good and was in a few battles. And was a peorson that did good in his ranks.
Julie
Sep 09, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what bothered me about this book. The main character was likeable enough. I just had a hard time feeling a part of the story, if you know what I mean. It's possible that the starting and stopping of the journal writing interfered for me.
Robby Scharf
Jan 10, 2011 Robby Scharf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
summery: The heart of virgina in the civil war

charictar trait: Adventurius,curius,a good shot and lonley...

M.I.E: Axidently KILLING Allies in front of his genral.

Recomondation: to war documentry/diary loving people
Ashley Sparks
Nov 18, 2010 Ashley Sparks rated it really liked it
This is a great book. I used this during literature circles for one of my PTLS lessons. It was a great read for the boys. It is about a young boy soldier who is fighting during the Civil War. I would recommend it to 4th and 5th grade teachers.
Valerie
Mar 25, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
While I did think the book started a little slow, I think it needed to. The life of a soldier at this time was not very face paced and exciting and that side needed to be told. The end does get exciting though and ties together a lot of history.
Linda
Oct 12, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
war is interesting. when the truce flag was flying the men from both sides came out to the battle field to collect their wounded and dead. sometimes they even had coffee together. a boy might enjoy this story.
Theresa
Jan 07, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a great historical story written form the point of view of an individual who lived the adventure of the historical events of the civil war its fictional even though it was written as if it was a journal.
Jared Hunt
Jan 31, 2012 Jared Hunt rated it really liked it
I loved how you got to read about how this 15 year old kid enlisted into the Civil War. It also isn't alot of made up stuff nd real life and in this boys view
Luca
Apr 09, 2016 Luca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the book. The book is exciting even though its not completely full with the Civil War battles.
Bree Bosse
Nov 30, 2010 Bree Bosse rated it really liked it
This book is a great perspective of a Union Soldier during the Civil War. It shows students a different POV as well as a model for a Journal or Diary Entry and first person POV.
ϟEvelynϟ
Jul 23, 2012 ϟEvelynϟ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dear-america, series
I am wanting to read this soon! I just love Civil War-type books. Plus, I want to see how it was like fighting in the war from a young man.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846  (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
20468
an American author of more than 35 nonfiction and fiction books for children, young adults, and general audiences, including more than 30 about American history. He won the Margaret Edwards Award from the American Library Association in 2010 for his contribution in writing for teens. Jim lives in Maplewood, New Jersey, in a hundred-year-old house with his wife Alison Blank, a children’s TV produce ...more
More about Jim Murphy...

My Name Is America (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948