Start by marking “The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier” as Want to Read:
The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier

The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier (My Name Is America)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Newbery Honor author Jim Murphy portrays the brave and rigorous army life of a 16-year-old Union soldier who has been ordered by his commanding officer to keep a written record of G Company during the most brutal years of the Civil War.
Published September 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier

The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie by Susan Campbell BartolettiThe Journal of Ben Uchida by Barry DenenbergJournal of Douglas Allen Deeds by Rodman PhilbrickJournal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker by William DurbinJournal of Augustus Pelletier by Kathryn Lasky
My Name is America Series
10th out of 19 books — 10 voters
Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
132nd out of 173 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverly
James is an orphan, raised by Aunt and Uncle. They do not make him feel loved or welcome, so he escapes during the night. After days of walking, he joins the 122 Regiment of NY Volunteers of Onondaga County. In later campfires, as each tells why they volunteered, James brings laughter when he responds, "I needed a pair of boots and a good meal."

He is chosen to keep a journal of the Regiment's History, because his handwriting is more legible than most. His impression of the early battles are spri
Jorge
Sep 29, 2008 Jorge rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy journals and history
The Journal of James Edmond Pease is a really good book that talks about the civil war of Virginia. This book is about private James Edmond Pease's expierience during Virginia's civil war. Learn how James survived during the war and his life afterwards. This book will teach readers to never lose hope and to never give up. People who read this book will get new perspectives about life and war.
Annadella
It used to really piss me off that, in context of the Dear America books, girls were positioned as addressing America whereas boys embodied it. I guess it still pisses me off.
Jacob
The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier Book Review
The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier by Jim Murphy

The second book that I read this term was The Journal Of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier by Jim Murphy. Basically, the book is about the adventures that James has while fighting for the Union in the Civil War. The book focuses on the Civil War battles that take place in Virginia and describes the part that James plays in them.

My favorite part of the book was when James got separated from the rest of the Union

Clint Keller
The Journal of James Edmond Pease, a novel made by the My Name is America series, is a story of a young civil war soldier who has to keep record of his group of men called G company. James Pease, who is 16 decided to join the army because of his dislike of being home with his uncle and aunt. After the past two journal keepers were kill in action, Pease recieved the job even though he thought it was bad luck. Through out the book though he realized that keeping the journal actually kept him sane ...more
Rebecca Rash
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! When one can learn so much history, and yet be so drawn into a story that they can't put the book down, I say it's a keeper! James is a really interesting character as well; he has little self confidence but still rises to every challenge that faces him. He is persistent, and quick-witted - and he is an excellent writer. ;) There was a couple of swear words which could very well have been avoided. Otherwise recommended for ages 12 and up.
Patrick
The story contains is a lot of information about the Civil War packed into a short text. The slaves in the story speak French, which brings an interesting dynamic to the text. Also, the narrator's lack of education is a focus of the story. The text includes a recurrance of grammatical errors, i.e. always substituting "was" for the correct were. The misspellings do add a spice of realism to the tale, but too often feel forced into the text. Surprisingly, the story highlights episodes of PTSD that ...more
Ericka
4th-8th grade

Murphy draws you into his book from page one. The outside of the book is gray in color showing a faded background of a civil war field with a charcoal picture of a young boy. This young boy is meant to represent James Edmond Pease. The story is technically broken into days not by chapters. The diary goes from the prelude of explaining he had help writing, to Nov 6th- May 13th of 1865. The writing is made to depict the era. The pages are from top to bottom of a smaller font with litt
Elaine Shipley-pope
I am actually not a fan of the My Name Is America series. However I included them on my quest to read all the Dear America books. The reason why I'm not a fan is that I find them boring. I find them lacking something that the original Dear America series (for the most part) has. Though this specific book caught my interest long enough that I didn't struggle to make myself finish it. Its about a Civil War soldier who, at the command of his officer, keeps a journal to record the lives of his compa ...more
Krista
This account of an "unlucky" underage boy who lied his way into the Union army in order to get "boots and a hot supper" is a gripping story, told through entries in a diary and punctuated periodically by sketches, ostensibly done by Pease.

Not as much violence as there could have been, certainly, but still enough to make me think twice about letting my son read this (a precocious six year old) for another couple of years.

But a fine telling in a believable voice with top-notch maps and a fine his
Anna
At first, I found this installment of the "Dear America" series to be rather slow since it had a lot of war and army jargon. But it moved along a lot faster by the time Pease lost his company. Then, I was amazed by how moving the rest of the story was. Pease's encounters with death especially choked me up. I felt inspired by his courage despite his fear - amazing for a boy of only 16 years old fighting in a bloody war.

Perhaps it is only my love of the American Civil War that made me enjoy this b
Scott Williams
bc3694eb-1b5a-427f-a24f-fd8868b48948
Scott Williams
da2080a2-4932-4756-82b3-dd2ad8551c1a
Molly
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Jenny
James Edmond Pease is a 15 year old boy fighting in the civil war who is given the assignment by his lieutenant to keep a record of his experiences. He thinks he is horribly unlucky and will probably die soon, but does as he is ordered. I enjoyed the book from the first "entry." It totally reminded me of my boys journal entries -sparse- and the need to give them specific instructions to get anything written. A fun, quick read.
Ian
I remember really liking this particular book. Mind you, I read it five years ago, but I believe I still recall a scene from the book: the main character going on a mad rampage against the enemy and successfully driving them back like a viking's beserker mode. That was one of my favourite scenes of all time and has stuck with me. What I learned from this book: Mad men are great fun.
Judine
This is part of the Scholastic "Dear America" series and is subject to the usual litany of complaints attached (author unclear, how factual is it?, etc.). However, this account of a 16-year-old who lied his way into the Union army in order to get "boots and a hot supper" is a touching, believable account that is the best of any of the series I've read to date.
Julie
I'm not sure what bothered me about this book. The main character was likeable enough. I just had a hard time feeling a part of the story, if you know what I mean. It's possible that the starting and stopping of the journal writing interfered for me.
Ashley Sparks
This is a great book. I used this during literature circles for one of my PTLS lessons. It was a great read for the boys. It is about a young boy soldier who is fighting during the Civil War. I would recommend it to 4th and 5th grade teachers.
Conner
I liked this book it was just how the war was. It had Great action and exitment. In the book it talked about a man that was in the civil war. That did good and was in a few battles. And was a peorson that did good in his ranks.
Robby Scharf
summery: The heart of virgina in the civil war

charictar trait: Adventurius,curius,a good shot and lonley...

M.I.E: Axidently KILLING Allies in front of his genral.

Recomondation: to war documentry/diary loving people
Linda
war is interesting. when the truce flag was flying the men from both sides came out to the battle field to collect their wounded and dead. sometimes they even had coffee together. a boy might enjoy this story.
Theresa
a great historical story written form the point of view of an individual who lived the adventure of the historical events of the civil war its fictional even though it was written as if it was a journal.
Bishop Fletcher
So far so good it kind of is teaching me about the civil war. I just am reading it because in my ILA teacher's class it was nothing to read so I picked this book because I need something to read.
Bree Bosse
This book is a great perspective of a Union Soldier during the Civil War. It shows students a different POV as well as a model for a Journal or Diary Entry and first person POV.
Jared Hunt
I loved how you got to read about how this 15 year old kid enlisted into the Civil War. It also isn't alot of made up stuff nd real life and in this boys view
ϟEvelynϟ
Jul 23, 2012 ϟEvelynϟ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dear-america, series
I am wanting to read this soon! I just love Civil War-type books. Plus, I want to see how it was like fighting in the war from a young man.
Amy
It was so good. I really enjoyed this book. It had great history and a beautiful story of the life of one boy.
Karen
It was a good book, although I have been reading the entire series and I have read others which are better.
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846  (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Color Me Dark: The Diary of Nellie Lee Love, the Great Migration North, Chicago, Illinois, 1919 (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
20468
an American author of more than 35 nonfiction and fiction books for children, young adults, and general audiences, including more than 30 about American history. He won the Margaret Edwards Award from the American Library Association in 2010 for his contribution in writing for teens. Jim lives in Maplewood, New Jersey, in a hundred-year-old house with his wife Alison Blank, a children’s TV produce ...more
More about Jim Murphy...
An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi The Great Fire My Face to the Wind: The Diary of Sarah Jane Price, a Prairie Teacher (Dear America) Truce: The Day the Soldiers Stopped Fighting