Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)

Red Blooded Murder (Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Chicago is the Windy City, and these days the winds of change are whipping Izzy McNeil's life all over the map. A high-profile job on Trial TV lands her in the hot seat. After a shocking end to her engagement, she finds herself juggling not only her ex-fiance, but a guy she never expected. And a moonlighting undercover gig has her digging deep into worlds she barely knew e...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Red Blooded Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Blooded Murder

Kristen
If you love great thrillers, you'll also love the second installment in the Izzy McNeil series. In Red-Blooded Murder, it picked up six months later from Red Hot Lies. We really have gotten involved into Izzy's world, when she tackled a lot that have been going on in her life. And man, did she have a full plate in this series? We saw Izzy on an emotional roller coaster ride. I really became worried about her, since she became stuck and embroiled into another murder mystery of her own, when she w...more
Babs
really, really having trouble with this book. Not sure why I haven't given up, especially with the knowledge from reading the book synopsis previews that I know the main character's outcome in this book, (not to be confused with the identity of the murderer in this book) and I'm not happy or pleased with that outcome. Read a few pages, was not happy, intrigued or engaged, and gave up until today.

I am now engaged in the murder mystery. I am still not pleased with the development of the main char...more
Katelyn
I loved this book! Kept me turning the pages so much I hated when I had to put it down to make dinner or whatever.

I "discovered" Izzy McNeil with "Claim of Innocence" and then read "Question of Trust," so now I'm back-tracking and reading all the previous books. So far the only book that's been less than 5-stars for me has been Question of Trust (for some reason's Theo's problem wasn't as suspenseful as the mysteries in the other books, but it was still good--I loved the last page, so poignant)...more
Lindig
I haven't read the first book in this trilogy. While overall I liked this book, and think it seemed more realistic than most, I found that most of the characters were a trifle on the one-dimensional side, including the heroine. The pacing was a little too fast, and the heroine was always thinking on her feet in the middle of a crisis, often wrongly, as it turns out. The author in general strikes a reasonable balance between personal relationships and the detective story, but none of the emotions...more
Meigan
This book was almost as much fun as the previous book in the series, but I found it lacked the amount of humor that Red Hot Lies contained. Many of the characters from book one made appearances in this one, but I wanted more from them. I realize that Izzy McNeil is the star, she is incredibly likeable, a bunch of fun, but I would still like more from some of the secondary characters.

I didn't have pause to notice anything formulaic in the first book, being that it was the first one I had read fro...more
Johnsergeant
Narrated by Nancy Liem
Series: Izzy McNeil, Book 2

14 hrs and 13 mins

Publisher's Summary

"For the first time in my adult life I was flying without a net. Fear was nibbling at my insides, creeping its way into my brain. I was buzzing with apprehension. But the job offer from Jane was a bolt of calm, clean sunshine breaking through the murky depths of my nerves."

Jan
Izzy McNeil is a lawyer who's lost her "lawyering job" her fiance and her self-esteem. In the midst of getting back with her fiance, she lands a job on Trial TV with a former client, pseudo friend, Jane Alexander, who is mysteriously murdered (!) and Izzy is a person of interest. Throw in Jane's husband and several "one night stands" and the plot thickens nicely.

I like Izzy and will enjoy watching her character develop thru the next book. Jane was a piece of work and I felt sorry for her husban...more
Teena in Toronto
This is the second of three in a series ... I had read the first one, then the third one and now the second one.

I'd say that this is the weakest of the series. Though I enjoyed the writing style, the story was so-so. I found some of the situations absurd and unbelievable.

It was good to find out how she met Theo (I like him) but I got tired of Sam coming back and forth and whining.

The part with Mayburn could have been left out as it had no bearing on the main story but I guess she had to have him...more
Linda
What a colossal disappointment after enjoying the first book in this trilogy a great deal. The author takes her main character from likable and sympathetic to a whiner with slutty tendencies who finds coincidence (good and bad) at every turn. The plot is choppy, no flow to the narrative, not to mention the fact I figured out who the killer was right away. Even the subplot of Izzy undercover held no surprises. Once I knew who the culprit was, the book held no appeal and I just put it down.
Pamsholley
Slow start but quickly moved into very suspenseful with action moving right along. Izzy caught between Sam, her former boyfriend who bagged on her last year, and Theo, young, tattooed lover. Her friend Jane Augustine is killed and Izzy is the primary suspect, especially when she's given Jane's anchor job at Trial TV. Need to read 1st in series and see what's next.
Patt
I really liked this book, the second in a series. The setting is Chicago and ,if you know the city, it's pretty believable that the author is familiar with it. I would recommend reading the first in the series, "Red Hot Lies'" before you read this because many references will not be too clear if you don't. Murder, intrigue, and romance all in one.
Amy
I didn't get a book to read during MLA, but Kelly was awesome enough to loan me this one. The writing flowed nicely despite a few small typos and mystery was engaging. I wanted to know who did it. There were several times during the second hall where the main character made poor decisions that felt forced so that the plot could move forward.
Cora
2nd book in the Izzy McNeil trilogy is even better than the 1st book. Don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just say you have to read this. 3rd book in the Izzy McNeil trilogy is out on 7/28, can't wait to read it. If it is anything like the first 2 book, then it should be just as good.
Donna Halloran
Loved this second one. I struggled with the main character more than last time. I also was annoyed at how badly she was railroaded... part of me believes this couldn't happen, but I know I am naive.

I am excited about the next one but know I need to take a break...
Toni
Another fun romp through my favorite city, Chicago. I'm enjoying getting to know the Izzy McNeil character in this series. Even though these mysteries are on the lighter/escapist side, they're meaty, well-written, cheese-free, and plausible. My kind of escapism.
Mandy
The 2nd book in the series, this was another good book. It took a little bit longer for me to get into the story, but again it ended differently from what I expected. If you like a mystery then I recommend the series.
Cheryl Karkoff
This is the second book in the Izzy McNeil series. Crazy life of an x lawyer and her many adventures. This one is about the death of her freind and how she gets caught up in the investigation. Easy fun read.
Ebony Small
Great characters, wonderful plot, sexy and yet believable. Really liked this one. I did figure out half way through the book who dunnit, though.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: F

Made it to page 325, more than halfway through, gave up and read the end. Should have been shorter and I would have liked it!
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Good travel/ airplane read, but not as suspenseful as expected... Story-line sounded more promising than it turned out to be.
Ali
I liked this one better than the first one. It's a fun, thrilling read. I definitely like this murder-mystery/chick-lit combo.
Kathy
Sheila
I can't remember much about this book so long after reading it, so can't rate it.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
I really like this character! Will be sad when I finish the last in the trilogy :(
Marianne
I gave the series a chance, but I'm abandoning it after book 2. Wouldn't recommend.
Janetlee
Introduction of a new, younger love interest that sounds great!
Melissa Wehunt
Red Blooded Murder (Izzy Mcneil) by Laura Caldwell (2009)
Linda

Much better than first book.
  • Taken (Randall Shane, #1)
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Invasion of Privacy
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery #3)
  • She Shoots to Conquer (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #14)
  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter, #3)
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • Deadly Identity (Jackson Hole, #2)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Worth Dying For (The Protectors, #24)
  • Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)
  • Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)
  • Shades of Passion (SIG, #3)
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La...more
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously Burning The Map A Clean Slate Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) The Night I Got Lucky