Start by marking “Sister” as Want to Read:

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  3 reviews
When Doretha was nine, her father gave her an old notebook with empty pages. On the first page, Doretha wrote in black: "Me, age 9. My Doretha Book - Memories." Now Doretha is thirteen, and there are lots of pages filled up with words and colors, each page holding a special memory. Some are happy, like the day Doretha learns about her freedom-fighting, ex-slave ancestor. A ...more
Published April 1st 1992 by Perfection Learning (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister

Joe Paul
The story of Doretha, a 13 year old girl who lives with her mom and older sister after her father has passed away. Doretha's older sister Alberta has been staying out late, not coming home, and getting into trouble spending time with friends that are trouble. Doretha loves her mother and her sister and she is struggling as she grows up and is witnessing some of the harsher realities of life. One day when her sister leaves the house and Doretha and her mother are worrying about her, Doretha feels ...more
Admittedly I'm reading some shorter books to fluff out my reading goal for this year. My boyfriend even called me out on it yesterday. He pointed out the two smaller chapter books on top of one of the giant piles of books on my bedside table, "do those count?"

Yes, they count! This is yet another Amazing Bookstore find. I love looking through their young adult award winning section, which is a few cardboard boxes full of books that are often recent cast offs from school libraries or teachers.

In which a girl rereads her diary.

If it had been a longer book, I would have gotten bored with the episodic structure. It's a nice afternoon read, poignant, and it doesn't try to resolve problems that don't have easy answers. Not bad.

Recommended grades: 5-7.
KN added it
Jul 02, 2015
Dayana marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Kim added it
Oct 08, 2014
Fanny marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Farzana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Room A-2
Room A-2 marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Meadow Park
Meadow Park marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
Shevi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2009
Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems The Great Migration: Journey to the North Honey, I love Childtimes: A Three-Generation Memoir Grandpa's Face