Start by marking “スクレイリングの樹 / Sukureiringu no ki” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
スクレイリングの樹 / Sukureirin...

Michael Moorcock

スクレイリングの樹 / Sukureiringu no ki (The Dreamquest Trilogy #2)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Warner Books, 2003, 1st printing, As new., Unused, in dust jacket. Bright, clean, tight. First printing. [Fiction, Albinos] Out-of-print and antiquarian booksellers since 1933. We pack and ship with care.
Published 2007 by 早川書房, Hayakawa Shobō (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about スクレイリングの樹 / Sukureiringu no ki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about スクレイリングの樹 / Sukureiringu no ki

Carl Alves
I've read other Michael Moorcock novel, and thought I would like this one, but I found The Skrayling Tree impossible to get into. I like a little complexity in my novels, but this one became convoluted and so hard to understand that I just gave up after a while. There was so much theoretical discussion about multiverses and balance and chaos, but not much emphasis on plot, and as a result this story suffered immensely. I didn't find any of the characters interesting. The one part that piqued my ...more
Silvio Curtis
Though I didn't particularly like the first book in this series either, now was as good a time as any to revisit it as any, since I'd just re-read Amanda Hemingway's The Greenstone Grail and I'm learning some Norse mythology from an ancient Germanic studies club. This blends the Grail motif (as in Hemingway's trilogy, de-Christianized but given cosmic significance) with some North stuff, particularly a re-interpretation of the world-tree Yggdrasil, Native American history and legend from I've no ...more
Mike
Jul 13, 2014 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Moorcock for many years and have enjoyed many of his strange, interconnected, philosophical "eternal champion" books with their character crossovers and brooding worldview. This book, however, is just garbage (at least, as much as I could stand to read). Untethered philosophizing, references to characters who (presumably) are introduced in other books, random wandering around to no purpose, and silly futzing with american indian history.
Macha
i've always been fond of Moorcock. and this is such a grand concept, sewing up the threads of the multiverse, i wanted to like it more. but Moorcock's writing doesn't seem to take flight any more and it takes no chances. the voices and the authorial perspective don't even really change when the narrator changes. what would Una Persson make of Oona van Bek, i kept wondering? and the answer came back: she might well recall a previous engagement, and decamp. plus there's no sense of building toward ...more
Axel M.
Jan 05, 2015 Axel M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, multiverse
Moorcocks Welt, und sein Stil, wird im Alter immer vielschichtiger und filigraner. Das ist natürlich Geschmackssache. Den zweiten Elric der neueren Werke sollte man nicht unmittelbar mit dem lakonischen, geplagten Helden der Originale vergleichen.
Jimmy
Apr 18, 2015 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ulrick von Bek's wife is kidnapped and he must travel to an another dimension to seek help from his own alternate self, Eric of Melnibone, to win her back from the evil Graynor.
Travis
May 31, 2008 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Really enjoyed it when Moorcock started combining all his stories into one huge universe. There was all kinds of crossover and you never knew you would show up.
Plus, Moorcock has always been great and twisting the cliches of fantasy fiction as well as mixing all kinds of mythologies together.

This has Elric and the Von Beks ( along with two new very cool character. Two native american fantasy warrior types) on a quest to reach the tree at the center of the multiverse before a variety of evil guys
Katherine Simmons
Like other reviewers I found this book to be rather poorly written compared to his other books.
Mr X
Jan 25, 2015 Mr X rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were sooo conceptual that it was hard for me to get through or understand. But it's Moorcock - he's wonderful and every one of his books are fantastic.
William Cardini
I liked this more than Dreamthief's Daughter. I think the scale changes are a good conceit. The book is divided into three sections (or branches), each written in the first-person perspective of a different individual. In each branch, we approach the climax from a different angle. I really dug that structure.
Philip Wickstrand
Oct 16, 2014 Philip Wickstrand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I never thought there'd be a Michael Moorcock book I couldn't finish but here it is. I forced myself within 35 pages of the end before putting it down for good. Ploddingly slow, largely plotless and excruciatingly boring sums The Skrayling Tree up in a nutshell.

Read at your own risk.
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 18, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A nice fantasy that comprehensively treks through most of Moorcock's multiversal writing of recent years. The end is a bit weaker than the rest of the book because it gets too esoteric, but it's still an enjoyable read and a nice capstone to Moorcock's work.
Jimmy
Jun 12, 2015 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Seth Tomko
Jun 08, 2014 Seth Tomko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a review of The Skrayling Tree, please visit my article at http://satomko.hubpages.com/hub/Revie...
Dawn
May 29, 2014 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I had known that this was set in current times I never would have tried to read it. The synopsis didn't mention that bit.
Squire
Jan 08, 2013 Squire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michael-moorcock
The best of the Elric books. A dazzling mixture of native American mytholgy and the Albino Warrior's history.
Joe
Feb 11, 2011 Joe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never thought I'd put down a Moorcock book because it was boring, but there it is.
Alexa Logan
Mar 27, 2013 Alexa Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It had been a long time since I had last enjoyed a book so much!
Robert
Oct 03, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok. Didn't set the world on fire.
Jose Alfredo
Jose Alfredo marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Lisa Francis
Lisa Francis is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Robert
Robert added it
Jun 10, 2016
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Fred Manhart
Fred Manhart marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Peter Pinkney
Peter Pinkney rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Dance of Demons (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #5)
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • Night's Black Agents
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Offspring (The Silent Empire, #4)
  • Felaheen
  • This Mortal Mountain (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 3)
  • Waslala
  • Broken Mirrors (Marla Mason, #5)
  • Bard
  • Bloodstone
  • The Quest for Cush (Imaro #2)
  • The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics, #8)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

The Dreamquest Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Dreamthief's Daughter
  • The White Wolf's Son: The Albino Underground (Elric & Oona Von Bek, #3)