Start by marking “The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition” as Want to Read:
The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition

The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,006 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Circle Within is your guide to creating a personal spiritual practice for daily life. The first section is a thoughtful examination of Wiccan ethics and philosophy that explores how to truly live Wicca. The second section includes devotional prayers and rituals that provide inspiration for group or solitary practice. Topics in this Wicca book include: cultivating an on ...more
Published August 8th 2003 by Llewellyn Publications (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Circle Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Circle Within

Wicca by Scott CunninghamLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkEarth, Air, Fire & Water by Scott CunninghamA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Books for Wiccans
11th out of 179 books — 148 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonLiving Wicca by Scott Cunningham
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
42nd out of 135 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen Garber
This book is meant to be for Wiccans who have already moved past the basics and want help incorporating their path into their daily lives. For those who want to "[be] really living and breathing your spirituality

The book is broken up into two sections. The first deals with ethics, philosophy and everyday life. The second section is a collection of prayers and devotionals to use everyday (at meals, at bed etc....)

The chapter headings (because I always feel this gives you information on the cont
This book resonated with me deeply. It is the only book I have ever willingly highlighted in. Simple statements made me think about my faith in every day life. I don't know why I love it so much, but I do.
The Circle Within, Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition, by Dianne Sylvan, stands out from the current army of Wiccan "how to" books crowding New Age bookshelves, by exploring deepening Pagan spiritual experience through truly living the path you walk. The Spirit Within covers:

* an introduction to personal spiritual practice.
* our relationship with the Deity.
* ethics and standards of behavior.
* concepts of sacred space.
* elements of a daily practice.
* the Wheel of the Year and the element
Jan 12, 2009 Bex rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pagans, Neo-pagans, wiccans, anyone on a spiritual journey
Shelves: spirituality
Re-reading as I loved it the first time. I read this book about this time last year (and funny I'm reading it again almost a year later lol) and I just love her ideas about ritual and only doing what is comfortable for you. There are great, easy little rituals and prayers and stuff in the back that I'd like to try this time around. Great great book, I recommend it to anyone with Neo-Pagan or Pagan views or anyone who is open minded enough to learn a new way to be spiritual. I really think the st ...more
I love this book's focus on spirituality and connection with the sacred; it's a subject that is near and dear to my heart. After all, I almost never feel a need to cast a spell, but I always feel the need to feel connected to my spiritual roots.

This is a book that assumes knowledge of Wicca or a similar spiritual path--so, not a beginner's guide.

There are times when the author is a little cranky in her tone, but since in my case she was preaching to the choir it didn't effect my enjoyment of th
Rose Butler
I have been looking for a book like this ever since Wicca lost its newness for me. Growing up Christian, I missed that daily devotion and connection with the divine I used to get through prayer and reading the Bible. This book introduced me to ways of getting that connection as a Wiccan, and for that I am so grateful. I borrowed this book from the library at first, but I loved it so much I had to buy it. This is definitely a must-read for anyone who's grown tired of beginner books or just wants ...more
Alfred Salteena
This is probably the most important book on Wicca and spirituality in general that I have read in years. I felt the author put down on paper what I have felt in my heart since I began on the Path. This book validates Wicca as a living religion and a religion to live by. If you feel your practice has become routine and lacks true connection with Divinity, then this is the book for you. I recommend it to all starting out on the Wiccan/Pagan path to be read in conjunction with Wicca101 books. I hav ...more
this book was wonderful for learning more of the spirituality of my religion. It gave a more indepth and personal look into the gods and the world.
Coleen Lewis
Just like many books I have on my shelf, I bought this years ago, started it and just now have finished it. A combination of lost interest, moving, having to read school books instead etc. The author coincidentally is from my hometown, and maybe that's why it was so readily available on the Half Price Books shelf. At first I didn't like her style, it felt as though she was a little arrogant or high and mighty about her religion, or just simply for the fact that she was glad he was not a Christia ...more
Bob James
This review was originally published on my blog on September 3, 2005

It is a sign of maturity when one looks deeply at oneself and asks the tough questions, makes the hard assessments. When one moves to the point where a decision is made to actually walk the walk, rather than just talking grandly, then it can be said that "growing up" has begun in earnest.

Wicca may very well be doing just that.

Dianne Sylvan's Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition (Llewellyn Worldwide, copyright 200
This is a very useful book for individuals looking to move beyond "Wicca 101" and create a personal spirituality which brings them closer to the gods. Sylvan includes several chapters with suggestions for ways to sanctify daily life, as well as a short section of devotional rituals for various occasions. It is the only book I have seen of its kind.

However, like everything I've read that was published by Llewellyn, it's fairly superficial. It says more about why Wiccans should be creating their o
This book was incredibly inspirational for me. It helped me develop a daily practice that made all the difference for me feel truly connected to the Divine and to my path outside of Sabbats and Esbats. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, not just limited to Wiccans.
I cannot give this book enough stars! For those who are sick of getting through the vocab presented in beginner books but still want a good starter book to reference every now and then, READ THIS BOOK. A lifetime of Paganism and I still find wonderful inspiration in these pages. Thank you, Dianne Sylvan, for putting your words and self into print!
I like her writing style. And she has this nice balance of not being Christian but not being super anti-angry at Christians like some pagan books I've looked at. A lot of good information.
Jan 03, 2012 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non beginners
Recommended to James by: found it surfing
Shelves: wicca
Finally an advanced book on Wicca even a straight man can sink his teeth into . This book had a pretty good balance of the God and Goddess , unlike allot of Wicca books that tend to lean to more of a Goddess religion . This book helped push Wicca further down the road . I was ready to start looking else where because just about everything I was reading after Scott Cunningham's books were pretty much Goddess this and Goddess that ( reminded me of the monotheistic religion I'm trying to leave behi ...more
Nicole Evelina
This book gets at the heart of what it means to be wiccan outside of the sabbats and esbats. But I don't think its message is limited to those in the pagan community. The probing questions she asks and examples of religion in action can and should apply to people of all faiths. Just substitue the word wiccan with the religion of your choice. This one will be permanently in my prayer collection and has really transformed the way I view and experience spirituality in my daily life. Amazing that an ...more
Narkitsa Orada
It's okay. I'm not a Wiccan, and I read this book wanting to get a better understanding of Wiccan spirituality --- you know, something about the religion that goes beyond the Llewellyn Wicca 101 crap. It wasn't bad, but I didn't honestly feel like I learned much from it. On the whole it felt pretty bland, and while there was nothing objectionable about it and Sylvan seems like a good writer, I was left wondering what the point of the book was supposed to be.
Jennifer Lee
I have often been overwhelmed and frustrated with the culture of the Wiccan community. In the past, I have felt like I was forced to live a double life. With some of Sylvan's suggestions, I have come up with more ways to meld both my spiritual and mundane life. Sylvan is straightforward and witty, making this a book both educational and fun.
I can count the number of non-fiction books on paganism that I actually loved on one hand. And this book is one of them. I love Sylvan's writing style, very uplifting and easy to follow, as if you were talking to a friend. I love how strongly she emphasizes the importance of creating your spirituality for yourself.

Highly recommended!!
Wicked Podcast
This week Storm and Sorcha have a discussion with author Dianne Sylvan about her books "The Circle Within" and "The Body Sacred". Musical Interlude: "Mother Earth" by Freedom Call. Vote for your favorite pagan podcast on Podcast Alley and look for more Proud Pagan Podcasters!
Heather Adkins
(5-16-10) I just re-read this book because I'll be discussing it with my Wiccan group next week. It was just as good the second time around, if not better. I felt like I was really able to let it all sink in and to really appreciate her words. This is a must have book for any Wiccan.
A thought provoking well written book. It even uses humour. I liek this author, she makes this subject quite interesting and entertaining. Most just review prior works and say the say things over and over, but this author takes a different approach.
I felt this was a great read. It touched me deeply. It is a really good student book. A little advanced for the seeker. I feel it should be required reading. Hope you get the chance to enjoy it.
A re-read, due to a book discussion this week. This book is such a fabulous example of practical ways to work through a process and create a meaningful spiritual daily practice.
Oct 22, 2007 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: good-stuff
This book is great. It is very imformative and insightful. I learned a great deal about myself and it allows you to get an idea of you are in this lifetime.
I will never be a Wiccan, or anything else for that matter. Nevertheless, Ms. Sylvan taught me much that helped me in a time of great trouble.
Aimee Mcdowd
This is my favorite book on Wicca and paganism. I cannot recommend it enough for those who have been through a year and a day of 101.
Laura Bailey
a fabulously inspiring guide on living a pagan tradition in your daily life. you've gotta add this one to your collection!
This book is the perfect text for anyone that really wants to live to be an any day Witch not just a Sabbat Witch.
I absolutely love this book and feel it is a must for daily spiritual connection.
God and Goddess 1 5 Nov 10, 2011 04:24AM
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Natural Magic
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice
  • The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
  • Wicca: The Complete Craft
Dianne Sylvan, author of the Shadow World novels (Queen of Shadows, Shadowflame, Shadow’s Fall, the forthcoming Of Shadow Born, and at least one more) as well as two books on NeoPagan spirituality (The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition and The Body Sacred), lives in Austin, Texas, the only sane part of the entire state.

She is an unabashed Mac enthusiast, a froofy iced coffee bev
More about Dianne Sylvan...

“We are disconnected from nature, we are wounded from the Spirit outward, and that has caused the largest majority of the problems that plague the world today.” 5 likes
“I am but a tiny thread in an infinite web of shimmering life, no more or less than the rocks and stars.” 1 likes