Start by marking “Werewolf Haiku” as Want to Read:
Werewolf Haiku

Werewolf Haiku

"Dear haiku journal, I think I killed some people.That was no dog bite."

This journal contains the poetic musings of a mailman who, after being bitten by what he thinks is a dog, discovers that he is actually now a werewolf. Wreaking havoc wherever he goes, he details his new life and transformations in the 5-7-5 syllable structure of haiku--his poetry of choice.

Published September 2nd 2010 by How Books (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Werewolf Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werewolf Haiku

Oct 10, 2010 Eliza rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, funny, horror
There's more poop in this one.
Mar 05, 2010 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
i liked it.
May 08, 2014 Basil rated it it was ok
Totally disgusting--brace yourself before reading this book. Some lines are clever and others are revolting--the images on some pages were the worst. If pictures of clumps of wet, bloody hair or descriptions of hair make you sick, pass up this book and never look back.
Feb 02, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
Don't eat before you read this book. And if you're not into horror or gore, don't bother picking it up at all. It's a funny horror novel, written in verse. Not scary, but fairly disgusting. But if you like that stuff, read on!
Amie Doughty
Oct 09, 2010 Amie Doughty rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
I really wanted to like this book. Certainly the concept is fun, and much of the book itself is decent, but the overuse of toilet humor and the over-the-top graphics took away from the book's potential.
Sep 04, 2011 Lora rated it liked it
Got it for $2 at a Borders close out sale. Cute and only worth about what I paid.
Sep 15, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it
Really clever and gory
Apr 13, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as Vampire Haiku (same author), but a really good book nonetheless.
Mar 28, 2016 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Werewolf Haiku’, a postman believes he has been bitten by a dog only to realize that he has transformed into a werewolf. Thus, he pens a series of haiku which details the changes he’s constantly undergoing and how he deals with them.

Despite tackling such a common subject and storyline, this book was quite entertaining as the author handled the werewolf aspect in a light-hearted manner. As a result, there were many humorous moments – some of which featured a play on words. For instance, missi
Who doesn’t remember haikus, the fallback of every underpaid teacher as a way of presenting children to verse? You were introduced to them in the second or third grade and, for many of us, that’s where our lessons in poetry stopped (unless you decided to take English Lit[e] in High School).

Mr. Mecum clearly remembers those fledgling stabs at shoving culture down the throats of our young’uns in this, his third entry in creature feature poetry. The internal journey of a poor mailman bitten by a v
Mar 26, 2014 Andersreads rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Who would think to write a book entirely in haiku in the first place? And then to make the main character a werewolf who was bitten by a rabid dog? This small book had me both marveling at the haiku, which were well written and felt like poetry, and laughing at the many of the poems. Here are a few: "The woman next door/with that huge mole on her neck/I think I ate it." Or, "When I walk past sticks/I now find myself thinking/'Sure love to chase that!'" And "People who eat fast/and call it 'wolfi ...more
Ryk Stanton
Mar 26, 2014 Ryk Stanton rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Mr. Mecum's "Zombie Haiku" but I was disappointed by this book. ZH is masterful: it has a storyline and real suspense, as well as great graphics. This one just feels sloppily put together. maybe I'm being unjust by comparing it to his earlier work, but I think I would feel the same way even if I had never read another one of his books. This one is just ... okay.

On the upside, I was able to borrow this book from Amazon for free because of my Prime membership.
Daniel Osborn
Sep 14, 2011 Daniel Osborn rated it liked it
Let me start out by saying that this book is about a postman who thinks that he got bitten by a dog while delivering mail. Infact he was bitten by a werewolf. So he starts writing a journal. Not just any journal but a haiku journal about his experiences being a werewolf. Why I gave it a 3 is the quality of the pictures in this book and the design itself. I like the whole journal thing. Also some of the poems were quite funny when he talks about his transformation from a human to a werewolf.
Jan 06, 2011 Schnaucl rated it liked it
It was okay but it wasn't as amusing or interesting as Zombie Haiku.
Jul 24, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Again disappointed. Maybe haikus just work better in my mind for zombies? No idea why that would be, but both Vampire and Werewolf haiku fell flat for me.

It just didn't come off as clever and pithy as the two zombie haiku books.
Dec 11, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: bow-wow
It was funny and somewhat creepy. There were photos of puke, which was gross and it was really graphic in some areas, but all in all it was good, and the story was still easy to follow, even in haiku form, which isn't the case with some haiku books.
Adult Services At Eckhart Public Library
Werewolves are, without a doubt, one of my favorite supernatural creatures. Seeing this book made my day when I first found it and now when I'm having a bad day even just thinking back to this book makes me smile. - Heather
My least favorite of the four (so far) haiku books. There is a lot of talk about poop, vomit, and other bodily functions. This one felt scattered.
Blanca Lara
Sep 04, 2011 Blanca Lara rated it it was amazing
Such a cute and creative book. I think anyone that loves poetry or short formatted books will love this.
Jun 28, 2011 Renae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rachelle DeMunck
As edgy and deliciously gory as Zombie Haiku.

Mecum's razor-edged wit fits the genre perfectly.
Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Amanda Pryor
Amanda Pryor rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2012
Franz rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2015
Bianca Chavira
Bianca Chavira rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
April rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Anastasia rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Eileen Cocca
Eileen Cocca rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Danica rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Shadowblue rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Chris rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • The Apprentice's Masterpiece: A Story of Medieval Spain