Blank-133x176
Die Spur Der Rose: Roman

Barbara Michaels

Die Spur Der Rose: Roman

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,415 ratings  ·  36 reviews

Fearing for the safety of her missing brother, lawyer Diana Reed will do anything to get to the truth. Taking a job as a landscape architect at the last place Brad was seen—the sprawling estate where he worked as a caretaker—she prowls the strange old house determined to unlock its secrets. But each mystery Diana uncovers is more unsettling than the last, as odd visions, s

Published 1996 by Scherz (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Die Spur Der Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Spur Der Rose

Hannah
First off, thanks go to Lisa for awarding me this book from her first blog giveaway. If you enjoy those gothic books (from the 1960's and 1970's especially), visit Lisa's awesome blog at:
She's written a ton of book reviews on all types of gothic lit. There's a little something for every gothic taste.

OK, now on the the review.

I'm pretty sure I read this book when it was first published in the early 1990's. Michaels is one of my favorite gothic writers and many of her...more
Caitie
Jan 03, 2009 Caitie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: mystery
Andrea
The heroine's objective in passing herself off as an expert in old roses is not clear until about 1/2 of the way through the book (unless you read some of the reviews at the front of the book).

The old estate in located in Virginia, where a couple that recently hit the lottery jackpot bought the house from an aging single lady with an eye to restoring the house and the grounds. Only later do we learn that Diana's brother disappeared after living among the townsfolk for a brief period of time, and...more
Lara
Barbara Michaels books are such ridiculous fluff, and I love it. This is one of my favorites, but I'm not sure I can really even say why. Maybe it's that I find Diana's quest to find out what happened to her missing brother Brad interesting, or maybe it's that I like Andy as the love interest--I'm always a fan of the goofy, funny guy getting the girl. Maybe it's that I find the history of roses kind of fascinating, or that there's a supernatural element to the story that's never completely expla...more
Judith
I was disappointed in this book. It just didn't hold together. There were too many elements mixed in - romance, the supernatural, murder, but it didn't tie in the end. For the first 150 pages the reader didn't know what the mystery was. The romance was vague and I couldn't understand why the protagonist chose Andy when it looked like Michaels was setting her up with Walt. Michaels' characters as usual were wonderful but as a whole it fell far short of her other, better work. Nonetheless, she is...more
Kitty
Very good. Not her very best, but definitely a "Michaels". Young lawyer lady pretends to be a landscape artist in order to gain access to an old mansion recently purchased by an elderly couple who just won the lottery. She is looking for clues about something that might have happened at this old mansion - something she has a personal interest in. Murder, ghosts, hints of romance... everything a good story needs.
Ryan G
After my dissapointing time with Neverland I had to read something that I knew would be a great read and since I had a few Barbara Michaels' books waiting to be read, I picked one up and I was dissapointed. Michaels is a new author for me, as I've only read one other book of hers but I enjoyed it so much that I figured I would at least enjoy another. So when I picked up Vanish With The Rose and started reading, I wasn't dissapointed.

Diana is a wonderfully headstrong woman who sets out to discove...more
Sridhar Babu
This book is about the search for her missing brother brings lawyer Diana Reed, where her brother had worked as a care taker..and disappeared, so Diana convinces the owner of the estate, that she is an expert in Rose Garden,,sort of undercover.

From page after page this novel creates great expectations,like...a secret attic in the Hall of the house , Diana's search for the former owners of the house...unknown tomb stones at the back yard of the house, the skeletal bones found during renovating...more
Marina Gardner
I purchased this book after seeing some good reviews and as I like the idea of past meeting present I thought lets give it a go ....and?
Terrible! I stuck with it and the first third of the book aside from managing to get to know the main players I wondered if all the rambling about roses was bnecessary and indeed at points I wondered if I had picked up a horticulturist book on roses.
I likes the litte quotes at the beginning of each chapter, the characters showed promise but the story line flitte...more
Celise
The Good: Picked this up because I have a few "old roses" planted in the yard and it intrigued me that someone would use this theme to write around. The different scenes in the book were more like "real life" in that there was a lot of wasted time chasing dead ends or things that amounted to nothing. Good surprise ending, although it was hinted at fairly strongly it made me want to skip to the end to see what I was missing!

The Bad: Difficult to imagine the scenery, house, characters -- not very...more
Sarah Sammis
I enjoyed the book thoroughly even the rather silly fourteen page coda which ends in a desire to conserve water. Vanish with the Rose is vintage Barbara Michaels. I just wish she would save some of this writing style for her Elizabeth Peters non de plum as the Michaels book are always so much more deliciously dark, brooding and macabre. I do have to admit to figuring out who done it about seventy pages before the ending as it otherwise would have made no sense to introduce that character into th...more
Katherine P
Picked this up to re-read between a book I hated and a new author I wasn't
sure about. As always this was a satisfying read. It isn't fine literature
and there are some holes in the plot but the characters are likable and watching the
relationships evolve is fun. Wish the ghostly elements had been a little more fleshed out but overall a good fun read.
Ashley
Good build up on the author's part using suspence and two different story lines. Wasn't a fan of the ending, seemed abrupt and too easy. Plus the "ghost story" wasn't really addressed and didn't bring the level of suspence that the murder mystery did. The book was a good read and would reccomend for a fast beach/pool side summer read.
Anna
Loved loved LOVED IT!!! Romance, mystery, suspense, downright creepy at times, and just well written, this book sucked me in and refused to relinquish its hold on me. Nor would I relinquish *my* hold on *it*. Definitely a feel-good book to be re-read over and over. Oh, and it's full of roses. :)
Yvonne
A gothic novel, although not really a romance as much as a mystery. It was a bit long and could have been improved had it been shorter. The story was interesting and had a satisfying ending. The author did a good job of keeping the reader guessing until the very end.
Kathryn House
Such a great read :) lots of mystery and plot twists! Once I started reading it, it was a struggle to put down! I would most definitely recommend for anymore who likes novels that vary from mystery to romance! Very well written.
Jellicle
This book made me want to go dig up plants from old home places that are rapidly being turned into subdivisions around me. Lots of suspense and romance with a little bit of Gothic. Just what I want and expect from Michaels.
SJuhl4
Barbara Michaels (Elizabeth Peters) writes a great gothic mystery. All of her books are good. This one is outstanding. I have read it a couple time and still love it. (Even though the ending is no longer a surprise.) A must read.
Earthwatchaddict
Interesting to learn about old roses. The solution to the mystery seemed a bit unfair. I don't think there was really any way to see it coming. All in all, another good read from a great author.
Linda
I read it before years ago when ill and marked it good but didn't remember so am reading again. I would say it's enjoyable and a place for the heart and mind to go for a break from ones world!
HaywardPublicLibrary
Jan 29, 2010 HaywardPublicLibrary added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to HaywardPublicLibrary by: Heidi Ontiveros, librarian and book group leader
October 2009 selection of the Mystery Novels by Women Book Discussion Group at the Hayward Public Library. Discussion on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009, at 6:30 pm.
June
Aug 06, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peters fans, mystery, romance and supernatural readers
Recommended to June by: Polly Ross
An interesting mix of mystery, romance and supernatural. Enjoyed the characters and humor. Did not catch on to the mystery, sidetracked by the roses.
Kristin
good book kinda slow in reading it. Then ending didn't wrap it very well and I had a hard time understanding what exactly happened.
Jen
3.5, rounded up. There's a lot of blunt force exposition, but it's about topics I'm interested in (heirloom roses, history, etc.).
Jenny
If you have ever read Barbara Michaels, this book follows the same structure. Mystery, romance, and paranormal. My guilty pleasure!
Kristine
This novel isn't bad, but to me it had several slow moving spots that got kinda hard to get through sometimes.
Maggie
Meant to be a spooky tale about a lawyer who is searching for her missing brother. Not spooky, not my cup of tea.
Julia
An old-fashioned thriller with a supernatural twist. Barbara Michaels is a favorite author!
Arwen
Mar 09, 2009 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
Shelves: four-star
A mystery story complete with haunted house, a false identity and a twist at the end.
Jenn Estepp
This meanders quite a bit, but it was pretty much exactly what I needed, so.
  • Summer of the Dragon
  • Touch Not the Cat
  • The Trembling Hills
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Be Buried in the Rain