Start by marking “Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard Graphic Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard Graphic Novel, #1)

Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard Graphic Novel #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,220 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
In a blink of an eye, their world has changed, with the oppressive New Order declaring all magic as evil incarnate In this action-packed tale spinning out of author James Pattersons' bestselling novel, Witch & Wizard, sibling teenagers Whit and Wisty Allgood use their newly discovered magical powers to infiltrate the enemy territory of the New Order to gain control of ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Idea and Design Works, LLC (first published August 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Battle for Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle for Shadowland

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson1st to Die by James PattersonThe Angel Experiment by James PattersonSuzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James PattersonSchool's Out—Forever by James Patterson
Favorite James Patterson Novels
39th out of 60 books — 342 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Wizard and Witching Books
63rd out of 218 books — 184 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
I'm doing something I'm calling the Nick Experiment for my review of this one. Which means, I made my kid read this book, and then tell me what he thought about it.
Good parenting, right?
See, when I read it, I thought it was pretty lame. But every time I write a less than positive review about a middle-grade reader, some jackass always eventually makes a comment about how You're not the target audience!, or How would you know what kids like?! My little Johnny loved this one!...something along
Tony Laplume
Aug 25, 2015 Tony Laplume rated it it was ok
For a reader who wants ambitions from writers, James Patterson will always be disappointing. Patterson crafted himself into a popular fiction machine on purpose, and there are plenty of readers who won't care. Those who do, who care about all the shortcuts he takes, will mildly despise Patterson. There's just no way around that.

Witch & Wizard is the Patterson young adult property that's more or less the Patterson version of Harry Potter crossed with The Hunger Games (I came up with that befo
Randy
Nov 06, 2010 Randy rated it really liked it
A graphic novel falling between the first novel in this urban fantasy series and the one due next month.

The Allgood siblings fight a plot by The One Who Is The One to invade the Shadowland, that dimension kids with magic use as a shortcut highway from one area to the next.
Krista Bunny
If you have not read Witch and Wizard prior to picking this up, STOP. You will enjoy this a lot more if you have read the book first.
Anyways, I love graphic novels based from books and this one is a great example. The characters look exactly what I thought of in my head when I read the book. I loved how the authors used the graphic novel genre to enhance the story, like the weasel blushing at the end, that's not something that would be included in the book, but used really well in this setting.
Jubilation Lee
The writing is awful. The art is... awfuller. If there was a way for me to give this zero stars without it looking like I just hadn't rated it, I would.

I'm not quite sure where all the positive reviews are coming from; perhaps Patterson is bribing his readership and I just missed out on the monetary compensation? James! Call me!
Klega50
Jan 30, 2016 Klega50 rated it liked it
As for the book, it was good. What I didn't care for was the fact that it did not say anywhere on the cover or back of the book that it was the beginning of a series. Or that it was a book for young readers. While I have nothing against reading books for young readers (some are very good as this was) it would be nice to know that there would be no resolution to the story. The story ended the way it began and said to be continued. If the author and publisher would be nice enough to say this was b ...more
Jessica Bronder
Sep 13, 2011 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it
This is a story after the first book, Witch & Wizard. It is the continued story of two young adults, Whit and Wisty, and a group of other teenagers that are being hunted down by the New Order. This edition has Wisty, Whit, and Byron Swain breaking into the New Orders building and stealing a hard drive that has information that they need to have.

After learning what the New Order is up to, the teenagers break up into two groups. One is to go to the Shadowlands and recruit as many half-lights a
Magila
May 01, 2012 Magila rated it it was ok
This deserves a 2.5.

The book was my first trip into the Witch and Wizard world. As a graphic novel, it wasn't a win. The art was reminiscent of Ben 10 and Archie, maybe Scoobie and the gang, and the writing was bleh. Even the bubble placement, something which normally doesn't even register, left a bit to be desired.

I have to add, the artist may have not been to blame for the book's shortcomings, it could have been the producers or ink. The original ideas provided by the artist were a little da
Sara Thompson
This graphic novel is based on the Witch and Wizard series by James Patterson. I was given the first issue of the graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. The full novel will be in stores October 2011.

I was a little disappointed with this work. The beginning felt stagnant and didn't draw me in as I had hoped. About half way through I started to feel as if this was something I wanted to read. There was just enough mystery that I want to read the next installment but I didn't connect enough
Amy
Apr 16, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
I don't actually know Patterson's views on religion, but in this graphic novel, he not-so-subtly uses text and expressions and descriptions that are very theological in nature, and in a derogatory and judgmental fashion. Whether he is religious or not, it was disappointing to read such unimaginative phraseology and names and concepts, as they've all been done before. The art was okay, but not what I was hoping for. I've read other Patterson books and liked them, but not this one.
Elizabeth
I checked this out from the library not realizing it was set between the 1st and 2nd books in a series. It was entertaining enough but didn't provide much back story, and the stuff that was provided was already obvious if you've read/seen much in the vein of V for Vendetta. I'm not sure that the world and characters were interesting enough to warrant reading the novels, but maybe.
Whitney
Sep 16, 2015 Whitney rated it did not like it
Nope. Just nope. Poor writing, horrible character names, and shoddy world building to name a few of the problems.

Now I know in this case I'm really not the target audience, but I've read quite a lot of middle grade and young adult novels and graphic novels over the years, and the overall quality of this book was bottom of the pile bad.
Monica Devlin
Jan 26, 2015 Monica Devlin rated it liked it
Read this with and to my 7yr old and my 5yr old kids, boy and girl respectively. The 7 yr old was attentive and asked very good questions. Such as Who is the One and why is that his name and then tried to get clarification of the plot. We got the feeling of kind of being thrown into the middle of a story. I almost thought maybe we missed a book and started reading a sequel. The set up of the book as a comic kept my son's interest. He is learning to read and I think this helped motivate him.
Stephen Kelley
Apr 13, 2016 Stephen Kelley rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, comics
I must not be the target audience, as this was rough for me to get through. mostly, I felt like the art was far too cheerful for something that was supposed to be somewhat dystopian. You can't have characters lamenting about how hellish their life is when everything is bright pink on every page.
Bob Large
Mar 25, 2016 Bob Large rated it did not like it
You know when a band puts out commercial pop music because it's trendy and bound to make a heap of money? Well this book is pop story telling. I certainly won't waste my time reading any more in the series.
Alicia
Mar 06, 2016 Alicia rated it it was ok
Ok, I'm not the target demographic for this series, but I did enjoy the related manga. This is all plot and almost no character, and every person in it is one-dimensional. On top of that, the art is meh.
Christy
Feb 06, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
It's probably recommended that you read Patterson's Witch & Wizard novel before checking out this graphic novel. This is a GN between the first novel and the second (the Gift). Artwork was wonderful, and captions/dialogue was easy to follow. Text was a little small, but not much can be done about that without effecting the artwork.

Story follows a brother and sister who have magical abilities. They are fighting against the New Order (NO), led by a man who wants to control the Shadowland, wher
Ashley
Mar 14, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
Not going to read his other ones.
WAAAAY too campy for my taste.
I've read of a lot of young adult fiction...this one seemed the least polished.
I know what you're thinking "But it's James Patterson!" and I'm all "I know, right?"

...but that little sentence? That's the book. That's it. That's how it comes through. Very...let's call it 'straight-forward'. The world seems just too out of reach. I felt like I was reading a blog...or some sort of teen's attempt at his first fiction story.

I can't eve
Ashley Logan
Dec 25, 2010 Ashley Logan rated it really liked it
First of all, I am finding myself having trouble remembering books that are in series that come out a year or more apart. I vaguely remember reading Witch and Wizard last Dec. but I can't remember it all that well. I got the sequel a few weeks ago and plan on reading it very soon and hope that I can remember the first book as I go into the second. My husband got me the graphic novel for Christmas and I read it last night. It was pretty good. It helped me remember some of the first book. The stor ...more
Cindy
Nov 11, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
Whisty and Witt were taken away from there home one day by the new power in rule called the new order. It wasn't until they were imprisoned that they discovered that they had magical powers. With the help of Witt's dead girlfriend, they escape and discover how truly powerful they are, which also explains why the New Order wants them dead. There is a prophecy that says that there will be two children that will be able to save the world from the New Order, which explains why they want them dead. T ...more
Clyde Ruth
Feb 10, 2016 Clyde Ruth rated it liked it
Good story; I'm just not a fan of short, choppy chapters
Rose
Feb 09, 2015 Rose rated it did not like it
Too many plot holes to even pass for a comic book
Maxine
Feb 17, 2016 Maxine rated it did not like it
Confusing. Done with Patterson.
Mary
Apr 03, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
I was told by a sales lady that this book was good and to give it a try. I think Patterson does a great job with the 1st and introduction to this story. It is a teen/young adult book if you venture to try it so it does have the teen mentality so keep that in mind. Patteron does a good job with descriptions of the actions that need to be taken by these "teen saviors". Does it make you feel like you are right there with them in the story - not really, but could be because it is a young adult book. ...more
Crystal
Feb 19, 2011 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Harry Potter meets 1984 meets Farenheit 451 describes this book. It was a very interesting tale about two teenagers who are kidnapped from their home in the middle of the night(view spoiler) It will be interesting to see where they find themselves in the second book.
Debbie
Graphic novel that takes place between books one and two of the Witch and Wizard series.

The hypocritical and ruthless New Order (N.O.) has taken over, and the only opponents left are a handful of teenaged witches and wizards and the half-lights in Shadowland. Twins Whit and Wisty are snarky and sarcastic and determined to overthrow "The One Who Is The One." I have not read the prose books, but, thanks to the excellent prologue, had no trouble jumping right into the story.
Adriana
Jan 25, 2015 Adriana rated it really liked it
Nice little side-episode to the adventures of Whit and Wisty as they fight the One Who Is The One. It bears to mention that you have to be at least familiar with what happens in the first book to fully understand all that happens and is mentioned. There are a couple of panels that try to give some backstory, but they don’t really do a proper job of it. I’m not sure I would’ve liked it as much if I wasn’t already familiar with the world.
Amanda Coffey
Jan 18, 2014 Amanda Coffey rated it really liked it
Very intense with good action sequences. I really enjoyed this one and can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Kary
May 21, 2013 Kary rated it it was ok
When I picked this up, I thought it was a graphic version of the first W & W book. But, it is actually about what takes place between the first and second book. So, since I have not read any of the novels, I was a little bit lost. I'm also somewhat "new" to the graphic novel world, so I had a hard time following the text in places. It was just "meh" to me. It didn't really make me want to run out and buy the novels.
vampire lover
Jan 13, 2012 vampire lover rated it it was amazing
This book i would recommend for anyone who has read fang. Just like fang, they have this thing with finding out there true way of life. And for some reason both fang and this book have like something to do with there parents. This book is long but so was fang, writen by the same auther ( james patterson ) I will tell you this though at the very end it has a TO BE CONTINUED sign. I hope you read it!!!
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • Fallen Flowers
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Challenge (Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, #2)
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • The Serpent Awakes (Faerie Path: Lamia's Revenge, #1)
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • The Devil's Workshop
  • Chobits, Omnibus 2
  • Blood Divided (Soul Born Saga, #2)
  • A Home for Mr. Easter
  • Midnighters Manga #1
  • The Dirt Eaters (The Longlight Legacy, #1)
  • eensy-weensyモンスター 1 (Eensy-Weensy Monster, #1)
  • Made for Each Other (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #2)
  • How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
  • Dead Boy Detectives, Vol. 1: Schoolboy Terrors
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350 milli
More about James Patterson...

Witch & Wizard Graphic Novel (2 books)
  • Operation Zero (Witch & Wizard Graphic Novel, #2)