Start by marking “Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard)” as Want to Read:
Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard)

Battle for Shadowland (Witch & Wizard: The Comic #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,092 ratings  ·  85 reviews
In a blink of an eye, their world has changed, with the oppressive New Order declaring all magic as evil incarnate In this action-packed tale spinning out of author James Pattersons' bestselling novel, Witch & Wizard, sibling teenagers Whit and Wisty Allgood use their newly discovered magical powers to infiltrate the enemy territory of the New Order to gain control of ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Idea and Design Works, LLC (first published August 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Battle for Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle for Shadowland

1st to Die by James PattersonKiss the Girls by James PattersonThe Angel Experiment by James PattersonSuzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James PattersonSchool's Out—Forever by James Patterson
Favorite James Patterson Novels
39th out of 61 books — 327 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Wizard and Witching Books
51st out of 220 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
I'm doing something I'm calling the Nick Experiment for my review of this one. Which means, I made my kid read this book, and then tell me what he thought about it.
Good parenting, right?
See, when I read it, I thought it was pretty lame. But every time I write a less than positive review about a middle-grade reader, some jackass always eventually makes a comment about how You're not the target audience!, or How would you know what kids like?! My little Johnny loved this one!...something along
Randy
A graphic novel falling between the first novel in this urban fantasy series and the one due next month.

The Allgood siblings fight a plot by The One Who Is The One to invade the Shadowland, that dimension kids with magic use as a shortcut highway from one area to the next.
Krista Bunny
If you have not read Witch and Wizard prior to picking this up, STOP. You will enjoy this a lot more if you have read the book first.
Anyways, I love graphic novels based from books and this one is a great example. The characters look exactly what I thought of in my head when I read the book. I loved how the authors used the graphic novel genre to enhance the story, like the weasel blushing at the end, that's not something that would be included in the book, but used really well in this setting.
Monica!
The writing is awful. The art is... awfuller. If there was a way for me to give this zero stars without it looking like I just hadn't rated it, I would.

I'm not quite sure where all the positive reviews are coming from; perhaps Patterson is bribing his readership and I just missed out on the monetary compensation? James! Call me!
Jessica Bronder
This is a story after the first book, Witch & Wizard. It is the continued story of two young adults, Whit and Wisty, and a group of other teenagers that are being hunted down by the New Order. This edition has Wisty, Whit, and Byron Swain breaking into the New Orders building and stealing a hard drive that has information that they need to have.

After learning what the New Order is up to, the teenagers break up into two groups. One is to go to the Shadowlands and recruit as many half-lights a
Magila
This deserves a 2.5.

The book was my first trip into the Witch and Wizard world. As a graphic novel, it wasn't a win. The art was reminiscent of Ben 10 and Archie, maybe Scoobie and the gang, and the writing was bleh. Even the bubble placement, something which normally doesn't even register, left a bit to be desired.

I have to add, the artist may have not been to blame for the book's shortcomings, it could have been the producers or ink. The original ideas provided by the artist were a little da
Sara Thompson
This graphic novel is based on the Witch and Wizard series by James Patterson. I was given the first issue of the graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. The full novel will be in stores October 2011.

I was a little disappointed with this work. The beginning felt stagnant and didn't draw me in as I had hoped. About half way through I started to feel as if this was something I wanted to read. There was just enough mystery that I want to read the next installment but I didn't connect enough
Elizabeth
I checked this out from the library not realizing it was set between the 1st and 2nd books in a series. It was entertaining enough but didn't provide much back story, and the stuff that was provided was already obvious if you've read/seen much in the vein of V for Vendetta. I'm not sure that the world and characters were interesting enough to warrant reading the novels, but maybe.
Monica Devlin
Read this with and to my 7yr old and my 5yr old kids, boy and girl respectively. The 7 yr old was attentive and asked very good questions. Such as Who is the One and why is that his name and then tried to get clarification of the plot. We got the feeling of kind of being thrown into the middle of a story. I almost thought maybe we missed a book and started reading a sequel. The set up of the book as a comic kept my son's interest. He is learning to read and I think this helped motivate him.
Christy
It's probably recommended that you read Patterson's Witch & Wizard novel before checking out this graphic novel. This is a GN between the first novel and the second (the Gift). Artwork was wonderful, and captions/dialogue was easy to follow. Text was a little small, but not much can be done about that without effecting the artwork.

Story follows a brother and sister who have magical abilities. They are fighting against the New Order (NO), led by a man who wants to control the Shadowland, wher
Ashley
Not going to read his other ones.
WAAAAY too campy for my taste.
I've read of a lot of young adult fiction...this one seemed the least polished.
I know what you're thinking "But it's James Patterson!" and I'm all "I know, right?"

...but that little sentence? That's the book. That's it. That's how it comes through. Very...let's call it 'straight-forward'. The world seems just too out of reach. I felt like I was reading a blog...or some sort of teen's attempt at his first fiction story.

I can't eve
Ashley Logan
First of all, I am finding myself having trouble remembering books that are in series that come out a year or more apart. I vaguely remember reading Witch and Wizard last Dec. but I can't remember it all that well. I got the sequel a few weeks ago and plan on reading it very soon and hope that I can remember the first book as I go into the second. My husband got me the graphic novel for Christmas and I read it last night. It was pretty good. It helped me remember some of the first book. The stor ...more
Cindy
Whisty and Witt were taken away from there home one day by the new power in rule called the new order. It wasn't until they were imprisoned that they discovered that they had magical powers. With the help of Witt's dead girlfriend, they escape and discover how truly powerful they are, which also explains why the New Order wants them dead. There is a prophecy that says that there will be two children that will be able to save the world from the New Order, which explains why they want them dead. T ...more
Rose
Too many plot holes to even pass for a comic book
Mary
I was told by a sales lady that this book was good and to give it a try. I think Patterson does a great job with the 1st and introduction to this story. It is a teen/young adult book if you venture to try it so it does have the teen mentality so keep that in mind. Patteron does a good job with descriptions of the actions that need to be taken by these "teen saviors". Does it make you feel like you are right there with them in the story - not really, but could be because it is a young adult book. ...more
Crystal
Harry Potter meets 1984 meets Farenheit 451 describes this book. It was a very interesting tale about two teenagers who are kidnapped from their home in the middle of the night(view spoiler) It will be interesting to see where they find themselves in the second book.
Debbie
Graphic novel that takes place between books one and two of the Witch and Wizard series.

The hypocritical and ruthless New Order (N.O.) has taken over, and the only opponents left are a handful of teenaged witches and wizards and the half-lights in Shadowland. Twins Whit and Wisty are snarky and sarcastic and determined to overthrow "The One Who Is The One." I have not read the prose books, but, thanks to the excellent prologue, had no trouble jumping right into the story.
Adriana
Nice little side-episode to the adventures of Whit and Wisty as they fight the One Who Is The One. It bears to mention that you have to be at least familiar with what happens in the first book to fully understand all that happens and is mentioned. There are a couple of panels that try to give some backstory, but they don’t really do a proper job of it. I’m not sure I would’ve liked it as much if I wasn’t already familiar with the world.
Amanda Coffey
Very intense with good action sequences. I really enjoyed this one and can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Kary
When I picked this up, I thought it was a graphic version of the first W & W book. But, it is actually about what takes place between the first and second book. So, since I have not read any of the novels, I was a little bit lost. I'm also somewhat "new" to the graphic novel world, so I had a hard time following the text in places. It was just "meh" to me. It didn't really make me want to run out and buy the novels.
vampire lover
This book i would recommend for anyone who has read fang. Just like fang, they have this thing with finding out there true way of life. And for some reason both fang and this book have like something to do with there parents. This book is long but so was fang, writen by the same auther ( james patterson ) I will tell you this though at the very end it has a TO BE CONTINUED sign. I hope you read it!!!
Katherine
I'm not a quitter, but I quit this book. My folks thought I'd like it because I enjoyed Harry Potter and I like James Patterson, but the writing is so frustratingly weak that I felt myself getting dumber the further along I ready. Maybe it isn't fair to be so hard having only ready the first 1/3 but, seriously, if you're going to pick up a Patterson novel, don't read this one.
JoLene
I picked up this book to fulfill a challenge requirement. I thought that the series has sounded interesting and thought this was a graphic novel of the first book --- unfortunately, I think that this is another story in the series vs a retelling. I was intrigued by the premise but probably won't get to it until much later.
Brenda
This was definitely better then Witch and Wizard "Book One" - Free Preview but this series is not for me at all. I gave it a fair try but James Petterson isnt doing it for me.
Jennifer Broadbent
I'm not really 100% sure why I read this, but I did. I do want to read "The Gift" though. The first book was definitely good. Not sure how I felt about this graphic novel. I have read a few other graphic novels and this one didn't really feel as interesting. Stick to your regular books please :)
Julie Witt
This is my first graphic novel and I really enjoyed the format. It made for quick reading, which is always good! The story picked up well from where the first book ended, and I assume will leave off at a picking up point for the next novel. I will definitely read more books like this :)
Michele
My kids read this book and wanted me to read it as well. All of us enjoyed the story. The kids could relate to the kids in the book. We all enjoy fantasy and magic. It is a quick read for an adult and allows you the opportunity to talk about oppression and history with them.
Tweller83
"After Wisty and White Allgood, a sister and brother were torn from their beds in the middle of the night and slammed into prison, they were accused of being a witch and a wizard. Others may try to help them but Wisty and Whit soon discover they must set themselves free."
Kari Ramirez
A bit better than the book, but still pretty bad. Of course, Patterson has to make the most money so instead of this being a graphic version of the first book it takes off after the first one so you have to have some knowledge of the story before you read this one.
Traci
It was ok. It read more like a kids book than young adult book. But sometimes young adult books shouldn't be for young adults. The plot is good but it was like something was missing. Maybe I will read the next one and just to see if it gets any better.
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • Fallen Flowers
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Challenge (Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, #2)
  • The Serpent Awakes (Faerie Path: Lamia's Revenge, #1)
  • Blood Divided (Soul Born Saga, #2)
  • The Devil's Workshop
  • eensy-weensyモンスター 1 (Eensy-Weensy Monster, #1)
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • The Dirt Eaters (The Longlight Legacy, #1)
  • Midnighters Manga #1
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • Chaos - Graphic Novel (The Lost Books, #4)
  • The Talk Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #3)
  • How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
  • World's End (Dormia, #2)
  • The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

The subject of a Time magazine feature called, "The Man Who Can't Miss," James Patterson is the bestselling author of the past year, bar none, with more than 16 million books sold in North America alone. In 2007, one of every fifteen hardcover fiction books sold was a Patter
More about James Patterson...

Witch & Wizard: The Comic (2 books)
  • Operation Zero (Witch & Wizard)
Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas