Start by marking “The Sand Creek Massacre” as Want to Read:
The Sand Creek Massacre

The Sand Creek Massacre

Sometimes called "The Chivington Massacre" by those who would emphasize his responsibility for the attack and "The Battle of Sand Creek" by those who would imply that it was not a massacre, this event has become one of our nation’s most controversial Indian conflicts. The subject of army and Congressional investigations and inquiries, a matter of vigorous newspaper debates ...more
Published February 15th 1974 by University of Oklahoma Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Sand Creek Massacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sand Creek Massacre

booklady
First read this in 6 days back in 2001 when our family tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the site of The Sand Creek Massacre or as some prefer to call it, "The Chivington Massacre" on vacation to the West. The large map of the time only showed a small designation of the site, but nothing about a National Park, unless we overlooked something. Not locating the site was the one great disappointment of that trip, as I had desired to pay respects to those innocents who died there. This tragic event is ...more
Efrem Sepulveda
Jul 12, 2011 Efrem Sepulveda rated it it was amazing
The morning of November 28, 1864 was truly a day which should live in infamy with regards to the treatment of Native Americans. Stan Hoig, who passed away just a few short years ago, wrote a brief but concise history on background and events that led to the Sand Creek Massacre which took place northeast of present-day La Junta, Colorado those many years ago.

Tensions arose between the alliance of Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes and the growing number of whites who migrated westward to take advantage
Abbey Cadenhead
Apr 30, 2013 Abbey Cadenhead rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for a book review that I had to do in my American Indian History course. I honestly thought that it was dull, but as a historical monograph it does its intended job (which is why I gave it 4 stars). The authors intent is to resolve any questions of accountabiltiy in the Sand Creek Massacre. The information could have been presented in a better way. For example, a lot of the information was not in chronological order, making it confusing for the reader. Also, many historic ...more
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
While this book is a definitive basic history of the Sand Creek Massacre, it is very dry and leaves out details I know are part of the full story of this event, verifiable details that made it into other accounts but not into this book. I appreciated that this author tried to give Chivington a fair understanding, as any unbiased history ought to attempt, but this account seemed almost too 'fair', watering down the evil that Chivington and other men with him did, while on the surface telling enou ...more
Marly
May 26, 2016 Marly rated it really liked it
Very informative book on The Sandcreek Massacre that took place in southeast Colorado, 1864. Gold had been discovered on Pikes Peak and pioneers were heading west. The book is nonfiction and rarely, if at all, inserts the authors owns opinions. The narratives in the appendix were vivid. I read the appendix then reread the first chapter of the the book.

Grab a map of Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Wyoming. It is nice to look up the location of events on present day maps. I enjoy visi
Jefferson Coombs
Apr 04, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is a very poignant account of one of the most tragic episodes of Colorado history. There are portions of this book that are very difficult to read because of the atrocities committed. The perfect storm created by the Civil War in the east and blatant racism in Denver led to this horrible event.
Ryan Louis
Nov 16, 2014 Ryan Louis rated it liked it
This month (Nov 2014) marks the 150th year since the Sand Creek Massacre. I read this book, in part, to understand the tragedy. But, moreover, as events begin commemorating the sesquicentennial, I need to understand the ways in which "why" affects the "how" of memorialization. Whatever we do, I hope we remember to remember.
Rae
May 26, 2008 Rae rated it really liked it
A scholarly examination of the Sand Creek Massacre in Colorado led by Colonel Chivington against Black Kettle's tribe. I was quite disgusted by the actions of our military against the Indian peoples, but I realize that I can't completely judge them by my own times. I was able to go to the site of the massacre and found it to be a most sobering and spiritual experience.
Dana
Oct 31, 2011 Dana rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I try to use the full range of 0 to 5 stars for the books I read. The fact that I gave this 2 stars means that it ranks low among books I've read (they can't all be above average) not that I hated it or didn't think it worthwhile.
Fredrick Danysh
A story repeated by several military commanders in frontier America. A sleeping peaceful Indian village attacked by an ambitious commander who can not find the hostiles.
Barbra Bishop
Barbra Bishop rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2010
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Dennis Gardner
Dec 13, 2015 Dennis Gardner rated it liked it
Well worth reading if you're not familiar with the topic.
Raina Evink
Raina Evink rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Rita Cordova
Rita Cordova rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
LindaK
LindaK rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Wendy Shipley
Wendy Shipley rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Gurney Steele
Gurney Steele rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2009
Willy
Willy rated it really liked it
May 06, 2008
Carolyn Kochek
Carolyn Kochek rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Andrea Rose
Andrea Rose rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Jesse Kula
Jesse Kula rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
May 14, 2008
paul kumiega
paul kumiega rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015