Start by marking “The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull” as Want to Read:
The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull

The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Few figures in American history have been so little understood as Sitting Bull. This first authoritative study of any Native American leader considers the legendary warrior in terms of his people's cultural values, exposes many ironies of Indian-white relations, and more. Photos. Maps.
Published July 19th 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Lance and the Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lance and the Shield

Fascinating insight into the fight of the Sioux, led by Sitting Bull, to keep their culture and lands against the theft by white settlers.

The actions of the U.S. government can be summed up by this quote from the book: "They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land and they took it."

The author describes Sitting Bull as the embodiment of the Hunkpapa tribe of Lakota Sioux: a fierce warrior, wise leader, generous, and a holy man.
The most comprehensive and thoroughly researched book about Sitting Bull out there. If you want to know the real story about this great leader, read this book!
Thomas Isern
Re-reading a classic, impressed once again with the judgment and authority Utley brings to his subject. It is interesting to note how Utley re-threshes the Walter Stanley Camp material at OU and comes to his own conclusions with it. There are usages and sometimes positions expressed in the book that are a bit dated, and in some cases, I simply disagree, on the basis of alternative evidence, with positions taken by Utley, but what a landmark this work is! This is how a white guy should write Indi ...more
If you love stories of the Indian experience this is excellent. Sad and informative read. I have a hard copy that is destined for a library. Any one want it?
Debbie Crossland
I work for the Fort Buford historical site in ND. I wanted to read more on Sitting Bull. This book tries to portray the indian way of thinking and part of their culture both from the Indian point of view and the whites point of view. What I have learned is a white nation that would lie and steal for greed. As sitting Bull vision revealed. The eagel would rule all. The eagle is on the American dollar. Money rules. And we are a nation that wants and wants and gets.
Samuel Valentino
One of the things I liked about this book was the use of primary sources, especially the interviews with people who had actually known Sitting Bull. There were also the army accounts, interviews with Sitting Bull himself, contemporary news accounts, etc., that really made this a valuable resource.

One other thing that I liked, or rather, learned to my dismay, was how bad the Native Americans really had it. All my life I've known that the whites had treated them badly, but it was usually framed in
Best biography of Sitting Bull I have read. Exhaustively researched and well written.
Todd Myers
Overall good book about the life and times of Sitting Bull. Utley relies on many sources to build the story of Sitting Bull, and puts together a pretty good account of his life in order. Though not all the facts are clear it tells so much about this legendary Native American. It's a bit of a slower read, as there is a lot of information packed in to the book, it shows as a 432 page book, but actually is 314 pages of actual story, the other 118 pages is source information and notes. I'd recommend ...more
This book is comprehensive, well researched, and highly documented. This book is an easy and fun read but took me a long time because I read each reference he cited. As a result I came away feeling that this book is probably one of the best written about Sitting Bull and the Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux Indians.

If you're interested in the Sioux Tribes I'd say this is one of the books you must read. It is loaded with historical and cultural information that I found highly creditable.

I have work extens
A book that I received as a junior in HS, The Lance and the Shield has followed me to Kenyon College and then Houston and then Philly and then Houston again, and I finally read it. It was an informative read about Sitting Bull's life, though I did not feel a great sense of insight beyond the historical. The challenges of writing about him must have been immense, and Utley's prose is very capable and captures it as best he can. I'm glad I finally read it.
A compelling and compassionate history of an extraordinary man.
Ruth Ellen
It is a very interesiting a riveting story of Sitting Bull. It is loaded with information and quotes from his relatives.
Purchased this excellent book at the Fort Buford historical site book shop. Meticulously researched and footnoted, there is little doubt Utley has a passion for his subject. It is a sad story that fills the reader with regret at what happened to a mighty and proud nation of Sioux, but it made me glad to see the details told with respect and admiration for this man who embodied the free spirit of the Plains Indians.
Borrowed this book from my father who served a mission to the Suiox indian reservations. This is a great read and lets you look into the kindness and wisdom that Sitting Bull had.
Fredrick Danysh
An interesting biography of the Sioux medicine man who engineered Custer's defeat and led his tribe to Canada.
A very human portrait of Sitting Bull. I have always admired him as a leader and this supports that belief.
Very interesting character and history - but a bit slow and stale in writing by Utley, had hoped for better.
Nov 04, 2009 Kylie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kylie by: HIST 3090
Super long. Super detailed. Super boring.
Rob Royalty
Rob Royalty marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Ricky Deese
Ricky Deese marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Alberta & dad
Alberta & dad marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Patricia Tacuri
Patricia Tacuri marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Mikey marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Samer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
michael d smith
michael d smith marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
  • Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce: The Untold Story of an American Tragedy
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • The Killing of Crazy Horse
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
  • Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the Americas
  • In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
Robert Marshall Utley is an author and historian who has written sixteen books on the history of the American West. He was a former chief historian of the National Park Service. Fellow historians commend Utley as the finest historian of the American frontier in the 19th century.

The Western History Association annually gives out the Robert M. Utley Book Award for the best book published on the mili
More about Robert M. Utley...