Start by marking “Winter Is Past” as Want to Read:
Winter Is Past

Winter Is Past (Regency #2)

A rising star in Parliament, widower Simon Aguilar needs a reliable woman to care for his gravely ill daughter, Rebecca. He finds an exemplary nurse--and much more--in the indomitable Althea Breton.

Raised amid privilege, Althea renounced wealth and social position to serve God, and is reluctant to work for a man who became a Christian only to further his political career.

Published December 1st 2003 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Is Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Is Past

Lisa
Aug 02, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I purchased this book at a used book store. I had never heard of Ruth Axtell Morren before but it looked like a good Christian Romance. I was not disappointed! I was very impressed by the quality of writing in this book. The story flowed nicely and came across as being very realistic. I enjoyed reading about the comparisons between the Jewish and Christian faiths. The hero's struggle with his faith was realistic and his conversion was not instantaneous like in so many Christian Romance novels.

At
Barbara
Althea, Simon, and Rebecca are very enjoyable characters, and the author really throws you in the midst of life in Regency England. Most of it takes place in London and its surrounding areas, to be specific. This book would be an excellent on to give someone from a Jewish background who is open to investigating Jesus as the Messiah. Methodists were nearly as despised as Jews during that time period, and the comparison between the two religions and how similarly they stem from the Old Testament i ...more
Shannon
3.5 actual stars. The cover threw me off a bit (creepy male model pretending to be an intellectual, lurking behind a girl) but since it was only a couple bucks I took a chance. Decent writing, interesting storyline, definitely was engaging right away. Took a little too long to build up to the climax and then when it did it was almost anticlimactic. Really enjoyed 3/4 of the book but got tired of waiting for romance to blossom and for the guy to get saved. When he did it, it was like "I know, I k ...more
Grace
Apr 14, 2012 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't able to read this book continuously but the next time, I probably would. This book has a good story and it has wonderful ideas that doesn't push the concepts on you but suggests it, or just shows the reader what the writer or the charaters believe in. There are just some questions left unanswered for me, or questions I would've liked to be posed and answered and some situations that should have been writen that maybe could've added more to the book. But all in all, it was a worthy read.
Carolyn Tye
I feel like saying it's not you. It's me. I just couldn't get into this book. I normally enjoy this author, but I kept stopping while reading this book to play solitaire on my phone.

This was the author's debut novel, and I think she's honed her craft in latter books. She did a good job fleshing out her characters; I could easily picture them. However, I felt the book plodded along in places. It was a tad preachy. I prefer more subtlety.
Jessie
Jun 08, 2015 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveydovey
I hesitate to call this a love story because you never really saw the characters be drawn toward each other in a romantic way. I would have really liked to see their personal friendship develop more. I felt it lacked a bit of drama and personality.
Claudia Rosa
Apr 13, 2012 Claudia Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!!!!
Leslie Lamb
Apr 05, 2015 Leslie Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good Christian book and romance. I felt it was a little drawn out. I knew the main characters would get together someday, it was a matter of when.
Leah
Jan 31, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very touching story about a romance between a "converted" English Jew and his dying daughter's Methodist "nurse/governess". Very interesting and gut tingling romance.
horsefeathers9393
So good!!
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was ok
May 20, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Dorothy Hensel
Feb 13, 2012 Dorothy Hensel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a beautiful story
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Mystery Girl
Mystery Girl rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Lara
Lara rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Amanda Scharrer
Amanda Scharrer rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Tams
Tams rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2011
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
(Jen) The Artist Librarian rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Darcy
Darcy rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Lynette
Lynette rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Don't Stop Reading
Don't Stop Reading rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
EHW
EHW rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Alycia
Alycia rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 18, 2015 07:03PM
  • The Courteous Cad (Miss Pickworth Series #3)
  • Hannah Grace (Daughters of Jacob Kane, #1)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Memoir of Johnny Devine
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Lions of the Desert (Egypt Trilogy #2)
  • All the Tea in China
  • The House in Grosvenor Square
  • Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)
  • Lady Sarah's Son (Historical Romance)
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
  • The Blackmailed Bride
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Jewels for a Crown (Victorian Serenade #3)
  • A Suitor for Jenny (A Rocky Creek Romance, #2)
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
Ruth Axtell Morren wrote her first story when she was 12--a spy thriller--and knew she wanted to be a writer.

There were many detours along the way as she pursued more realistic goals. She studied comparative literature at Smith College, where she received a Bachelor's degree; spent her junior year in Paris; taught English and lived as an au pair in the Canary Islands; worked in international devel
More about Ruth Axtell Morren...

Regency (4 books)
  • Dawn in My Heart (Regency #1)
  • The Healing Season (Regency #3)
  • The Rogue's Redemption (Regency Series, #4)