Start by marking “Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen ” as Want to Read:
Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen

Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Why am I still alive? Why was I spared?

One night in 1944, Luba Tryszynska’s questions were answered when she found fifty-four children abandoned behind the concentration camp at Bergen-Belsen. Luba knew if the Nazis caught her she could be executed.

But they are someone’s children. And they are hungry.

Despite the mortal dangers, Luba and the women of her barracks cared for
Published October 1st 2003 by Tricycle Press (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Luba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luba

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
Well-Written Holocaust Books
270th out of 562 books — 2,276 voters
The Cats In Krasinski Square by Karen HesseThe Butterfly by Patricia PolaccoBrothers in Hope by Mary WilliamsBaseball Saved Us by Ken MochizukiPink and Say by Patricia Polacco
Picture Books About Times of War
64th out of 105 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Mar 13, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fourth graders & up studying history, the Holocaust, how one person can make a difference
This book is written by McCann but it says as told to her by Luba Tryszynska-Frederick, the same Luba who is the title character of this book, the heroine. My cynical self put up an alert: the heroine telling her own story?! But, I soon was put to shame because I don’t think Luba was self-aggrandizing, and there is also plenty of corroboration by others, including some by the children who were saved.

I almost added it to my fiction and historical-fiction shelves because there is an author’s note
May 15, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish
This is a biographical story of Luba Trysznska-Frederick, the Angel of Bergen-Belsen. She was a prisoner of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp and one night she thought she heard children calling to her. She went out into the cold and found 54 children left to die. She brought them back to her barracks and convinced the other women to help take care of these children since they reminded her of her own son Isaac, who was taken away from her by the Nazis during the war. The story shares how she mana ...more
Matthew
Jun 21, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
This book is wonderfully done, and I don't think it could be improved on much, but I find stories of the Holocaust to be very difficult to handle, even when they are handled with the upmost in care. The unbearable degree of inhumanity shown to people in the concentration camps churns my stomach. I'm left to wonder how people could treat other people in this way. How could anyone be so convinced of a complete stranger's supposed negative qualities that they feel justified in treating them with su ...more
Rachel
Imagine this: you are a Jew from Poland. You're married to Herschel, and you're a young mother to a little boy named Isaac. Your little family is happy together...until the Nazis strike.
The soldiers take you on a fearful train ride, where rumors spread that you're headed to a death camp. They're right: it's Auschwitz. Once you arrive, you're separated from Herschel and baby Isaac is torn from your arms. You will hear his aching, pleading cries of "Mama! Mama!" in your head for years.
Life in Aus
Lynn Roehm
Jan 20, 2015 Lynn Roehm rated it it was ok
This is a nonfiction picture book about the life of Luba Tryszynska, a Jew held in the same concentration camp as Anne Frank. She rescues over 50 abandoned children and keeps most of them alive until the end of the war. The pictures are beautiful and I thought it might be a good book to help educate older children about the Holocaust. However, I found the book choppy and unimaginative. Perhaps if the author had written the storyline from the point of view of one of the orphans she saved, the boo ...more
Ms.Kim
Jul 16, 2015 Ms.Kim rated it it was amazing
This was an AMAZING book about the Angel of Bergen-Belsen. I wasn't sure how a picture book about the Holocaust was going to work, but this was an inspiring story of a woman who was selfless and so loving even while a prisoner herself. She hid and cared for 54 children at her own peril, and even while wondering if her own husband and child were alive. When questioned as to why she'd take care of other's children, her reasoning was simply, "they are someone's children."

It was an amazing story. T
sarafem
Mar 30, 2008 sarafem rated it it was amazing
Luba was a Jewish woman in a concentration camp who was only kept alive because she was a nurse and could tend to the guards when it was needed; this book tells the true story of her heroic actions to save children from certain death.

Luba discovered a group of 54 children who had escaped death because the guards, assigned to drop them in a forest and kill them, couldn't bring themselves to do it and just abandoned them there. Luba heard their cries and took them into her barracks, where she conv
Thomas
Nov 24, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing
When I was reading this book, I burst into crying. This is the best one that I have ever read. Luba’s brave set up a good example for all of us whom want to be a teacher. We should be brave as much as she is. She had treated and helped children who were in need offered them necessity and food. What else did I have seen in this book? I noticed the pictures in the book. Those of pictures look like the style that Monet was in the habit of drawing his works. I enjoyed this book very much because of ...more
Andrea Sargent
Mar 07, 2015 Andrea Sargent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-selection
This book has left a big impression on my heart. The images are outstanding and this biographical story is truly a miracle. The strength and love that Luba posses is a model that all humans should live by - her courage and love are remarkable.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it
Non-fiction picture book portraying the courage of Luba Tryszynska, an imprisoned Jewish nurse, who saved a group of orphaned children in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
Jaclyn Giuriceo
Mar 30, 2014 Jaclyn Giuriceo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 00-in-class
I really enjoyed this book. I could not imagine living through the holocaust. This woman in the story was a truly wonderful woman.
Anna
Apr 25, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Luba, the main character in this story, lived in Bergen-Belsen, the concentration camp during the Holocaust. She risked her life and the lives of the people around her every day in oder to feed and save the children that she found one night in the cold. If she were to be discovered getting food for them and providing them with a place to live then she and all of the people involve would be put to death. Luba end up saving all of the children but one and therefore earning the name the "Angel of B ...more
Mare
Apr 24, 2013 Mare rated it really liked it
A true story of Luba was nurse at Bergen-Belsen who the guards mistaken for a political prisoner rather than a Jew because she was blonde with blue eyes & spoke German. One night while asleep in her barrack, she hears children crying for their mother; she goes to investigate and discovers a group of children abandoned to die in the cold since their guards, thank goodness, couldn't bring themselves to shot them dead as ordered.
Luba takes them back to her barracks & hides them there till
Lindsey
Jul 31, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
NATIONAL JEWISH BOOK AWARD (2004)
JANE ADDAMS HONOR BOOK (2003)

Format: Picture book
Age level: Upper elementary
Protagonist: Luba

Brief Summary: This book tells the inspirational tale of a Polish, Jewish woman imprisoned at Bergen-Belsen. After discovering 54 Dutch orphans left in the woods, Luba brings them into the camp and cares for them with the help of other women prisoners.
The pictures are very cool. They're a bit darker, which reflects the mood of the camp, yet there are splashes of color tha
Mckinley
Oct 06, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
I'm often torn about books like this. The story is fine but it's so watered down for children that I wonder what's the point?
Cami
This was such a beautiful book and a very close to the heart concentration camp story.
It is a true story of a prisoner who wanders into the woods in the middle of the night because she keeps hearing voices crying "Mama, Mama." There she finds fifty-four children, some just babies in pillowcases, shivering and starving. She brings them back to the barracks and with the help of others feeds and cares and loves them.
All but two chilren survived the terrible ordeal of Bergen-Belsen.

This is a wonderf
Marni
Beautiful story. Miracle after miracle to keep Luba's children alive!
Amy schelkopf
an absolutely amazing story about how one woman "luba" chose to hear children crying outside her concentration camp barracks(her very first night there). Luba discovered 54 children abandoned in a cold field. Nazi drivers were to take the children and shoot them in the woods, but could not do it, so they left them to freeze to death, luba heard them and she as the leader & other women hid the children and provided for them (risking their lives) until the liberation-at least an entire year-pr ...more
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it really liked it
A biography of the Jewish heroine, Luba Tryszynska, who saved the lives of more than fifty Jewish children in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp during the winter of 1944-45.
Elizabeth
May 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-fiction
Luba is living in a concentration camp. She is questioning why she is still living when she hears children call for her, mama. Only it is 54 children who were dumped and left to die in the cold. Luba brings them into her barracks and gets the other women to agree to help care for the children. Luba does lots of things in order to get all the children fed. Because of her every child makes it to the liberation of the concentration camp.
Jackie
Suzan
Nov 09, 2010 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Inspiring story of a Jewish woman imprisoned at Bergen-Belsen who found 54 children abandoned behind the concentration camp. She knew she might be executed by the Nazis if they caughter her, but despite the danger, she and the other women in her barracks hid and cared for these children. "Their courage is a light for humanity even now, showing that strength, dignity, and hope can take root in even the darkest places."
mlb
This biography is the story of a brave woman who, after losing her own son and husband in the concentration camps, risked her life to save 54 children she found left to die in a field. After the was ended the children attempted to regain contact with Luba and many years later a reunion was arranged. A very hopeful and inspiring story from the Holocaust.
Wendy
Jul 07, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Another Holocaust hero, but one who is not as well-known as Schindler. This story, too, would make a good movie if the producers were to start soon and contact some of the many "children" that Luba saved. A little dark for a picture book, so I wouldn't put it in the Easy section, but a good addition for a jr/sr high study of the Holocaust.
Bekka
Excellent book on a very difficult subject. One of the better treatments I've seen for children. It gives enough explanation without overwhelming with too much. The illustrations are also really nice - a combination of collage and drawing. The epilogue information was very touching as well. Highly recommended.
Haim
Apr 25, 2012 Haim rated it it was amazing
It is hard to find a good book about the Holocaust for children. This book is an exception. A wonderful picture book about a Holocaust survivor who helped over 50 children to survive Bergen-Belsen. Ann Marshall's soft oil and collage illustrations and warmth and accompany the text very well.
Brett
Nov 15, 2010 Brett rated it it was amazing
Well it is very intresting it is about a girl name Luba who was in a concentration camp name Bergen Belsen. It talks about how she saved around 50 children during this time from certain death . It is a very strong book and is an easy read it took me approximetly 5 mins to read.
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it it was amazing
I love this story of bravery and courage, and how the writer tells children about some of the horrible things of World War II so delicatly, and the fact that it's a true story really seals it!
amazing true story of how one woman who lost her child in the concentration camp saved other children.
Feb 24, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
The story is absolutely extraordinary (and true!) and the illustrations are exquisite.
  • The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • The Cats In Krasinski Square
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • Erika's Story
  • Birmingham Sunday (Orbis Pictus Honor for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children (Awards))
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • Irena's Jars of Secrets
  • One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II
  • Star of Fear, Star of Hope
  • Fireflies In The Dark: The Story Of Friedl Dicker Brandeis And The Children Of Terezin
  • The Harmonica
  • Rose Blanche
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street