Start by marking “After the Funeral” as Want to Read:
After the Funeral

After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot #29)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  11,932 ratings  ·  503 reviews
When Cora is murdered, the remark she made the previous day at her brother's funeral suddenly takes on a chilling significance. She had been heard questioning if he was murdered. In desperation, the solicitor turns to Poirot to solve the mystery.
Hardcover, Facsimile of first edition, 192 pages
Published April 2nd 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1920)

Carol.
Apr 30, 2015 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christie, spare writing, Poirot
Shelves: mystery

from my blog, where it is much easier to give links, pictures and half-stars at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

Goodness, but I’m a reading disaster when it comes to Christie books. At one point in After the Funeral, I felt I knew who the murderer was, and when I flipped to check if I was right (oh, the horror!)–yes, I did that—I was. But I got no pleasure out of my powers of deduction, as I’m almost positive I’ve read this at least once before. Possibly twice. So that’s a sad statement
Andy
Ah Poirot, how I enjoy you with your funny egg shaped head, your sleek moustaches and your willingness to embrace the rampant racism present in the average Englishman all in the pursuit of a tricksy murderer. This lovely hardcover facsimile edition has been sitting on my shelf for a while waiting to be read and it's really a very enjoyable Poirot whodunnit.

We have a stately home reaching the end of it's life along with the owner, a death swiftly followed by a second and a small cast of eccentric
Cheryl Kennedy
Wealthy Richard Abernethie, master of Enderby Hall, a vast Victorian house built in the Gothic style, has died in his sleep after a long illness. With no heir to the family fortune, descendants gather AFTER THE FUNERAL to hear Barrister Entwhistle read the will. The deceased was one of his oldest clients and a personal friend.

Distant is an appropriate descriptive of the Abernethie family members. Spouses were pronounced inferior in class, ambition, and material success, Richard's brothers died
Durdles
Absolute classic and ingenious Christie. A country house, a will, a dysfunctional family, some deaths and near misses. Plenty of red herrings and a real sense that you should be able to guess the perpetrator if only you could go back and make notes; but you are too busy turning the pages to recap conversations in detail. Yet again I got it wrong but that's the most satisfying outcome in a whodunnit. I was reading recently why it is that we find detective stories so satisfying and apparently it i ...more
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

I figured this book out and as I was patting myself on the back and high-fiving myself (because my husband and daughter could care less), I figured out at the end I read it before. I guess I'm not as intelligent as I thought.
Meave
It was a good story with a clever twist, but I had to dock it a star because of the icky, icky racism. I mean there was only one expression, but she uses it so many times and this was published in 1953, and I don't know about the history of civil rights in the U.K., and British racism is different from racism in the U.S., BUT STILL. It's so gross! I can't stand it.

Similarly, Poirot plays the "all the British are suspicious of and hostile toward foreigners" card in basically every novel, and it r
Miguel

(...)
É necessário ser-se um bom escritor de policiais para esmiuçar as acções e pensamentos de cada personagem e imbuir a cada um, um motivo (credível) que o leve a cometer um crime; afinal, a complexidade da mente humana é infinita. O Caso do Funeral Fatal flui de página em página, terminando com uma surpreendente revelação.
(...)
Mary Ellis
I've probably read and reread every mystery Christie ever wrote. No other writer is so good at showing her readers all the clues they need to solve a mystery while making it darn near impossible for them to figure it out. She doesn't always carry this off perfectly--sometimes the murderer's motive is a bit far-fetched or the plot relies on one too many coincidences. But in Funerals are Fatal, I think she gets it just right.

The story starts like a million other mysteries. An elderly, wealthy man
Greyer
VaultOfBooks
By Agatha Christie. Grade: A. #11 of Hercule Poirot Series.
I’m trying to read all the books written by Ms Christie and I’m first finishing off all the Hercule Poirot books. After The Funeral is the 11th Poirot book that I recently finished reading.
When Cora is savagely murdered with a hatchet, the extraordinary remark she made the previous day at her brother Richard’s funeral, suddenly takes on a chilling significance. At the reading of Richard’s will, Cora was clearly heard to say : It’s been
Kasia S.
Agatha Christie had true talent when it came to spinning masterpieces. Her legendary Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot used his shrewd logic to defeat many criminals when microscopes and labs were used in other mysteries, taking the reader on a rid of their life as he tracked clues and interviewed the suspects.

When Richard Abernethie dies and his family meets at the funeral, one person is certain that he was murdered. But when Cora, the one who knew something falls to the same fate as her brothe
Ann
I read this on the strength of a friend's review (thanks, Jenne!) and loved it! Classic English murder mystery with a whole slew of suspects, plenty of tension-building and misdirection, and then Poirot revealing all with everyone gathered in the drawing room. Right up to the end I could not figure this one out. The answer was a surprise, but not one of those literary surprises where you feel cheated - no, the clues are there, but Christie was a master at keeping the mystery in her mysteries.
Ishita
It's 3.5 stars, first of all !

Christie was a genius ! How she created the circumstances and opportunities ! She must most definitely be congratulated on the invention of her character ! Hercule Pirot was a genius ! Almost always too ingenious ! Just like herself.

U keep guessing and guessing till the end but could never have guessed it to be so ! Ah, how she tingles ur senses and intrigues ur curiosity !
A Christie, specially a Pirot series book, is always entertaining ! She never fails to stand j
Brooklyn Tayla
Emily
At this point I basically assume that I've read every Agatha Christie novel in their various incarnations - sometimes I pick up a new "title" and find out that I've read the edition with the British title or something like that - so I don't know if this is a new one for me or if I simply forgot the plot (the real effective way to have an endless supply of Christie novels!).

I read the latest Kindle edition, which features a foreword by Sophie Hannah. She was recently commissioned by the Agatha C
Ainur
As usual, Agatha Christie never fails to amaze me. Her writing style is amazing. The plot is well structured, and sequential.

I had problem following at first because there are lots of characters involved. (I'm not really good with names). Some are easy to differentiate but others are pretty plain.

Overall, I like the story. Once again, I failed to predict who is the criminal. I kind of suspect everyone when I started reading this. Lol. That's pretty much how I read crime novel.

And Hercule Poiro
Neena
This is a typical Christie that I really enjoyed. A slow start but very consuming once it picked the pace. I kind of missed Poiret's early entry but Christie did justice to the story by building suspense and the surprising end. I had no suspicion about the identity of the killer. I was surprised when killer's name was announced. This is a very nice read for all Christie’s fans.
Lydia Atkins
I like Agatha Christie!
This is the first of her novels I've read and I found it hard to place at first as I was imagining everything in Pride and Prejudice era when suddenly they were talking about cars and telephones! Oops! I had to Google when Christie was writing and found my knowledge of literary genii was seriously lacking!!
But no matter, on with the novel. The plot line was intriguing but completely typical in a sort of comforting way. Christie's writing is engaging and stimulating, if a l
Bookworm1858
After the Funeral by Agatha Christie
Black Dog & Leventhal, 1953
303 pages
Mystery; Poirot
4/5 stars
British Book Challenge

Source: Library

Summary: After the funeral of Richard Abernethie, his sister Cora posits the theory that he had been murdered, causing a ripple of shock throughout the gathered family. The next day Cora is found, having definitely been murdered with a hatchet. Presumably the same person did it but who can solve the mystery? Well the famous Hercule Poirot can!

Thoughts: What a p
Kathleen Hagen
After the Funeral, by Agatha Christie, A. Narrated by Hugh Fraser, Produced by BBC-WW Audio Books America, Downloaded from Audible.com.

The master of Enderby Hall, Richard Abernethie, has passed away, leaving his massive fortune divided up between family members. The family is not close, and they are fairly uncomfortable dining together in Abernathy’s house after the funeral and waiting for the solicitor to read the will. Cora, who generally said exactly what she thought without consideration for
Akerumi
Oct 03, 2007 Akerumi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: detective minded ^_^
One word : "EXCELLENT"

My POV of this book....:

I've never read this kind of plot-twisted story before. Just brilliant!! From the very first time Agatha introduced the characters, and the way she described their attitude and behaviors, it seemed like she didn't wanna lose the readers' attention. She made great alibis for everyone involved, and kept it till the end. She also made everyone to be worth suspected. Even till the last two pages she still kept the "truth" of the story. She directed the r
Katherine Clark
I love Agatha Christie, and it is fun to read these books that I never go to before. This is another Hercule Poirot book, and I find as I get older that I like them better. I'm not sure why--I guess they don't seem as gimmicky to me as they once did. I appreciate how Christie treats her female characters, and I continue to find her depiction of England after the war so interesting. I have several more Christie's to read and will do so no doubt in the next few months.
Nour Sharif
Definitely something that hooks the reader up from page one. I did not, and would have not guessed the murderer. It was definitely a shock. And the intelligence put in this book was quite remarkable. I was astonished. It was honestly better than I expected
The writing style is extraordinary as well. I definitely want to read more of Agatha Christie's work.
According to what I have written earlier, the book seems perfect, doesn't it? And so, one might wonder why I rated it 4 stars and not
Kelly Hager
This is the third (of four) books in Harper Collins' readalong of Agatha Christie's novels. (The next and last one is The Monogram Murders, a new Hercule Poirot novel written by Sophie Hannah.)

This is easily my favorite of the ones we've read so far. I loved the concept and the fact that pretty much every single person was a suspect for one reason or another. (No, I did not guess the killer---I've not guessed the killer in any of the three so far, which makes me cranky.)

These books are so fun a
Carol
A classic whodunit. What not to love? A interesting quirky characters, quaint English village, numerous suspects, a dysfunctional family, a clever plot and a Belgian detective. I read this out of sequence, but that was fine... Even though I'm a huge fan of the mystery genre I have not read an Agatha Christie and I'll be making my way through the nearly 40 Poirot mysteries.
Jenne
God, she is the MASTER of misdirection.
I've actually even read this one before, and I still couldn't figure out who did it! I looked at all the least likely suspects, even the butler, but it turned out it was someone I didn't even think about, someone in plain sight, someone obvious...but someone I never. even. considered.
Hats off.
Blakely
First of all - what a great title!

Another enjoyable but not earth-shattering book by Christie. Again easy to get into, stays interesting throughout, and the ending was unexpected.

The thing I actually liked the most about this book is that it gives an interesting perspective into the lives of rich, older/middle-aged people living shortly after World War II. It was very amusing to hear the complaints about the high cost of hiring servants, the unwillingness of house help to completely drop all o
Bárbara
3.5 estrellas
'Después del funeral' tenía todos los elementos para ser una lectura épica, pero no ha alcanzado el nivel de 'Diez negritos' o 'Asesinato en el Orient Express'. Por supuesto, la autora juega con nosotros de una manera impresionante, y llega a un resultado imprevisto y casi descabellado. Sin embargo, la fórmula de la familia me pareció repetitiva (considerando que hace un tiempo leí 'Inocencia trágica') así que no logró convencerme tanto como esperaba.
De cualquier modo, la intriga es
Kavita
I absolutely love this book! I remembered this story, but it was a delight to read it again because I had forgotten the important details. A rich old man is killed off in a stately manor and all his hard-up relatives are suspects. Then his sister is murdered. Who did it? I love the Poirot stories where he keeps to the background and lets the characters develop. It is hard to find out the murderer in this one. Though there are clues, it's the last person one would think of! I rather liked that be ...more
Agatha Christie L...: May 2015 - After the Funeral 22 43 Jun 11, 2015 11:58AM
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • The Documents in the Case
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery #7)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“For in the long run, either through a lie, or through truth, people were bound to give themselves away …” 21 likes
“Yes, yes-you will give him the earth-because you love him. Love him too much for safety or for happiness. But you cannot give to people what they are incapable of receiving.” 8 likes