Moses, Man of the Mountain

Moses, Man of the Mountain

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  657 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this 1939 novel based on the familiar story of the Exodus, Zora Neale Hurston blends the Moses of the Old Testament with the Moses of black folklore and song to create a compelling allegory of power, redemption, and faith.
Narrated in a mixture of biblical rhetoric, black dialect, and colloquial English, Hurston traces Moses' life from the day he is launched into the Ni...more
Published January 28th 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Moses, Man of the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moses, Man of the Mountain

Ty Melgren
Lots of sentences in here that I loved, and some that startled me because they sounded like sentences I would have written if I was talking about the same thing, which I think means that Their Eyes Were Watching God was a bigger influence on me than I realized and that I should probably read it again. I wanna read Hurston's essays now too.

The main thing I didn't like about this here book was how it shifted all the cool things that Aaron, Miriam, and even God did in the Exodus version and attribu...more
E Wilson

This book blew hot and cold with me. At times, I thought it deserved 5 stars and sometimes only 2 stars. It did remove my
stereotyped image of Moses as the old man in the robe with the tablets
under his arm.

The forward said that the author was drawing a parallel between
the Israelites in Egypt and the slaves in America. I could definitely
see those likenesses. It said she was also drawing a parallel between
the Israelites in Egypt with the Jews in Hitler's Germany. I didn't
see this so much.

Part...more
Jacq Francois
The book stayed pretty true to the actual book of Exodus, except parts where you had to actually revisit the Bible to reference if it was fact or fiction. I'm a big fan of Hurston, with this book being no exception. I especially love how she created a familiar Souther dialect for these people who reigned in the times of Ancient Egypt. Extremely create stuff that'll inspire many more creators in generations to come.
Becky Hirtzel
My favorite Zora Neale Hurston book so far. The Moses story told from a Harlem Renaissance 1939 Africa American perspective. Very interesting insights. I would have liked it better if it had been more faithful to the Biblical Moses account, but very good none the less.
marcus miller
An intriguing retelling of the story of Moses and the Exodus story. Along the way, Hurston reflects on the meaning of freedom and what it means to be a people bound by oppression finding their way, leadership and sacrifice.
Julie
I have wanted to read this book since I was a divinity student at Howard University. I was not disappointed. Hurston takes the biblical events and makes them her own - not a minor task. She brings forward the characters, the situations in an incredibly detailed and fascinating way. I know the story, but it was a could not put down read to see how it happened. I am not African American, so I cannot know how Hurston brought the African American experience to the story. I can say that I found both...more
Cindy Robins
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Just re-read it for at least the third time. I'm almost through with "The Warmth of Other Suns" and was compelled to re-read .. Ms. Hurston is one of my favorite authors; her forays into the South during the time of Jim Crow and her interpretation of the Exodus in light of what I am reading in Isabel Wikerson's brilliant history of the Great MIgration add another layer to her Hurston's telling of the bondage, exodus, and attempted unification as a people at a time of di...more
Karl K
This book was selected for a book club I belong to. It's not my type of book. I had a hard time getting into the flow of the book - primarily because it was the biblical story of Moses. The hep black Harlem style of "talking" took some getting used reading.

In the end, I have to say I enjoyed the book. I was impressed how Hurston was able to fictionalize the story without loosing the basic Moses/Exodus story line. I realized that the biblical Moses story was probably somewhat fictionalized too....more
Melissa
The old familiar story of Exodus and the life of Moses as seen through the eyes of one of Florida's greatest writers is a treat. The themes of religion and slavery are inherent to any Moses story but what struck me was the undercurrent theme about the purpose of man. Hurston is bold in her humanization of such a well known story from the Bible.
John
A book about making your own emancipation. Hurston attempt to bridge the gap between the freedom of the individual and the freedom of a society. Also looks at how oppression can come from both within as well as outside a culture. Biblical stories told in southern dialect (with a well-played game of the dozens thrown in as well.)
Michele
Zora Neale Hurston is a beautiful writer and storyteller - with that said there were parts of this story that I breezed through and/or savored, but I wouldn't say that was my overall experience with this book. Not sad to be finished with it.
Zoe
May 27, 2007 Zoe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ZNH fans, readers of Their Eyes Were Watching God
Shelves: 2006books
Hurston's fanciful retelling of the Biblical story of Moses is puzzling to many readers but I really enjoyed it. If you like anything else she's written, you'll enjoy this as well.
kasia
Not one of her best. It's interesting to see what she does with the story, and some of the prose is gorgeous, but a lot of it is kind of clumsy and grating.
Jan
A prose-gospel reselling of the story of Moses, a hymn of a novel sung to celebrate African American culture as well as the Old Testament story.
Camille
Very interesting retelling of the Exodus story from the Bible. I really enjoyed reading it.
Shandra
I've read this many years ago, and nothing has changed. What a great book to read.
Freddy
How could we have lost track of this wonderful author? She has such a strong voice.
Anne
I enjoyed the mysticism and the writing, but was surprised by the misogyny.
Justin
Started off great; kind of fizzled out towards the end.
Enoch
If Moses had a black wife, maybe Moses himself was black.
E
I loved this book, Zora is my favorite story teller!
Julia
Excellent. She was such a powerful storyteller.
Alix Penney
This is my favorite Hurston book I love it
Dj
it's interesting
500 Great Books B...: Moses, Man of the Mountain - Zora Neale Hurston 1 1 Jul 18, 2014 04:22PM
  • The Best of Simple
  • The Outsider
  • Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo
  • The Street
  • Iola Leroy: Shadows Uplifted
Zora Neale Hurston was an American folklorist and author. In 1925, shortly before entering Barnard College, Hurston became one of the leaders of the literary renaissance happening in Harlem, producing the short-lived literary magazine Fire!! along with Langston Hughes and Wallace Thurman. This literary movement became the center of the Harlem Renaissance.
Hurston applied her Barnard ethnographic tr...more
More about Zora Neale Hurston...
Their Eyes Were Watching God Mules and Men Dust Tracks on a Road I Love Myself When I Am Laughing... And Then Again: A Zora Neale Hurston Reader Jonah's Gourd Vine

“Night came walking through Egypt swishing her black dress.” 12 likes
“Every morning the world flung itself over and exposed the town to the sun.” 8 likes