Start by marking “Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)” as Want to Read:
Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)

Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington #18)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,958 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
Unabridged CDs, 6 CDs, 7 hours

Read by Tony Roberts

A brand-new page-turning Stone Barrington novel from the perennially entertaining New York Times-bestselling author Stuart Woods.

Audio CD, 1 page
Published April 20th 2010 by Penguin Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lucid Intervals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucid Intervals

Mary Ann
Jan 10, 2011 Mary Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was the worst book ever.I considered not giving any stars. I think Mr. Woods needs to
get back to telling a good story and quit fantazing about a sex life!!
Pure drivel!!
I'm usually considerate of an author's work, but this just struck me as "what was his editor thinking?"
Min
Aug 27, 2010 Min rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me why I'm destashing all of my Stuart Woods books. His plots are find to read, but I swear he's in a constant race with himself to see how fast he can get a sex scene in a book (page 11 in this book - and it was two of them, which should ALSO tell you how not-so-great his sex scenes are).

Since the characters aren't actually ever comparing the size of their penises, they instead engage in similar contests by way of piloting airplanes. "I fly XYZ airplane." "Oh really? Well I f
Sadie
Nov 18, 2010 Sadie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jay Connor
Thank you, Delta. You gave me enough time this past Friday afternoon and evening waiting in ATL or on the tarmac for my canceled-re-booked-weather-delayed flight to read this latest addition to the Stuart Woods oeuvre. You also gave me enough time to play several games of free cell and boggle on my iphone, but that just sounds like sour grapes.

Using "oeuvre" to refer to a Stone Barrington novel is as presumptuous as Stone's continuing to order a Knob Creek instead of whiskey at Elaine's. But hey
Janice Reisman
Stuart Woods has gone steadily downhill. Every recent book has the same formula - meeting Dina at Elaine's every nite, and the rich unattached woman looking for a fling, and he is there to accommodate them. If you've read one, you have read them all. I was very disappointed with this book.
Mardel Fehrenbach
Mar 01, 2011 Mardel Fehrenbach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly cannot say that Stuart Woods is a better writer than James Patterson, but I enjoy his books more. Or perhaps I just enjoy the Stone Barrington novels. They are easy enjoyable reads and Lucid Intervals was no exception. The books are not complex or heavy on plot. There tend to be a lot of dangling ends in the story, but they move quickly and are not particularly violent. I will also admit that I just like the character of Stone Barrington, not because I would necessarily like him in re ...more
Mary Lou
The Stone Barrington books are like potato chips--terrible for you, you can't eat just one, and very salty.

Once again, Stone gets into trouble as he tries to figure a way out of trouble for a client. Dino Bacchetti is back as Stone's sidekick. The fabulous British secret agent, Felicity, makes another appearance here. The mysterious Dolce is lurking in the background, always a danger. (How she is organized enough to get three other ladies dressed just like her to take off for three other distant
Randy
May 11, 2011 Randy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stone has two people from the past pop back into his life. Felicity Devonshire, British, high in their government, and Herbie Fisher, goofball who Stone had once got out of a murder charge.

Felicity wants to hire him to find a British subject that had dropped out of sight twelve years before and Herbie wants to hire him to find someone trying to kill him.

Felicity offers him a good salary and Herbie offers up a better one. He'd won the lottery and his girl friend had a big purse with two million i
William Brown
I've read and generally loved all the previous Stone Barrington books by Stuart Woods, but this one is mis-titled. It should be Occasionally Lucid Intervals. They are always leisurely reads, but as I read this one, I kept asking myself "There's got to be a plot in here somewhere." Between the dinners at Elaine's, learning how to fly a jet, the obligatory sex scenes (even these are very half-hearted and lacking in any detail) and all-too-familiar. warmed-over, visits by Dolce and Herbie, I was re ...more
pam
Oct 06, 2014 pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read Wood's first book "Chiefs" and was so impressed. Think I might have read a few more later, but it has been awhile.
Bought this book for $2.00 at a used book store and thought I'd try again.
What I found was a simple mystery book that Mr. Woods took pleasure in inserting all of the food and wine that was consumed and, of course, the sex involved.
I looked at his photo on the back of the cover with his wine glass and sitting below a picture of Jacqueline Kennedy. Found that an answer to his ba
Skip
Apr 24, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Stone Barrington #18. One of the better ones recently. Herbie Fisher wins the lottery and retains Stone with a large retainer, helping Stone to pay mounting bills -- of course, Herbie manages to get into massive trouble. Meanwhile, in the main story line, Dame Felicity Devonshire (head of MI6) hires Stone to help her find a supposedly rogue agent, but together they manage to uncover the real rogues and their agenda.
Ed
May 21, 2011 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know last time I complained about the gratuitous sex but now we have gratuitous flying. Woods clearly has another hard-on altogether for aviation as it's lovingly described here. These books have gotten more and more rote and I've long viewed them as pallate cleansers. But this one is so hum drum I may be done with old Stone after all. Okay to pass the time but it's time for a real book.
Gail
Jan 06, 2015 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Too many loose ends and discrepancies in Wood's books lately. Getting tired of Stone's one-night stand relationships and how much they wear him out. Also, his willingness to tell women he hardly knows all kinds of classified information is getting old -- of course, he does swear them all to secrecy so I guess it's ok.
Ralph McEwen
As an audio book this was so complex with so many characters is was difficult for the narrator and the listener to keep track of what was going on. The narrator tried to give different characters separate vocal qualities, but there were just too many.
Derk
Jun 11, 2011 Derk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another routine book by Woods. The plot doesn't hold together, the characters are superficial, and the reading is quick. I don't know why I keep reading him. My memory is that his earlier books were better, so maybe I keep reading him by habit.
John Koshak
Sw
Aug 02, 2011 Sw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-gave-up
Read a chapter or so and realized that it was starting out just like a number of his other books. I put it down to find something better.
Kimball
Aug 18, 2015 Kimball rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: losers
What a crappy book. It really was total bullbeep. I think the quote from Billy Madison sums it up for Mr Woods: "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The only reason I got it was because the title was de
Dugger
Oct 11, 2010 Dugger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the last stone Barrington novel. Getting annoyed with his plots. Same thing in the last three books.
Nancy
Richard
Apr 06, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Herbie Fisher has won the New York lottery worth many millions. Stone is trying to fend off Herbie just because he cannot stand the young man. But when Herbie gives Stone's secretary, Joan, a million-dollar retainer, Stone is obligated to look after Herbie's affairs. One of Stone's duties now becomes advising Herbie when his girl friend jumps off the balcony of his new penthouse and he is arrested for murdering her.

Stone also is involved with Dame Felicity Devonshire from England,
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't really enjoyed the past few Woods offerings in the Stone Barrington or Holly Barker series. Found them low on plot and heavy on fine dining and bedroom antics. Those things are fine but I always enjoyed the novels because of the rapid fire dialogue between Stone and Dino and the mysteries they found themselves in. Lucid Intervals seems to be a return to form of the Barrington series as well as Woods as an entertaining author.

Contracted by ex aquaintance/lover, british intelligence offi
Connie
Jan 28, 2012 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LUCID INTERVALS by Stuart Woods is 355 pages in paperback. This is #18 in The Stone Barrington Novels.

Brief Description:

It seems like just another quiet night at Elaine's. Stone Barrington and his former cop partner, Dino, are enjoying some pasta when in walks former client and all around sad sack Herbie Fisher...with a briefcase containing $14 million in cash.

Herbie claims to have won the money on a lucky lotto ticket, but he also says he needs a lawyer-and after a single gunshot breaks the win
Teri Sears
This was a better story than the previous, but that wasn't hard to accomplish since most of that story involved Stone whining constantly about having too many women to sleep with.

I am getting tired of Stone stumbling into THE luckiest situations, every time he does anything. Nothing Stone does Isn't posh, expensive, or first class. He never has to take a normal car, or wind up staying in a Holiday Inn. Even when hiding from assassins he stayed for days in an expensive hotel suite at no cost to h
Randy
Aug 15, 2014 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Synopsis:

A brand-new page-turning Stone Barrington novel from the perennially entertaining New York Times-bestselling author.

Ed
Dec 31, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, action, nyc
#18 in the Stone Barrington series. This series is a guilty pleasure, like being addicted to a soap opera and being vaguely ashamed of it. All plot arcs have their origin in previous series entries and their continuation in later ones. Dolce Bianci, ex-wife, is the daughter of a Mafia don. Herbie Fisher was a poor slob until he hit the lottery, now he's a rich slob on his way to a reformation. Felicity Devonshire of British Intelligence is a once and future lover. Great fun.

Stone Barrington seri
William
Oct 17, 2014 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took my time with this book because I did not want to leave the wonderful characters. I found this book at our local thrift store where I live for fifty cents. I was told by a woman on another site I used to use that "Stuart Woods is a masterful creator of characters and story lines."
Even though this book is part of a series, I enjoyed it as if it stood alone. I figured out who everyone was and how they played a part. Mr. Woods kept me in the dark very well until the end. I won't spoil anythi
Kshydog
Jul 16, 2015 Kshydog rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was all about reading things Stone does like flying planes, eating with Dino, and having sex. Nothing really happened in the story that was solving any real mystery or murder but just finding a man. The parts with Herbie were OK and nothing developed with Stone's ex-wife acting looney. Really thought the story was going to get interesting and maybe a recurring character with Hackett but even that is not happening.
Gramy
Stone Barrington, ex-NYPD turned attorney, is saddled with a repeat client no one else wants to represent when his secretary accepts a retainer from Herbie Fisher after he claims to have won millions in the lottery. Herbie is questioned in related to another death, this time his fiancee.

Stone is also reunited with an old flame, Dame Felicity, a British agent, to help her with a case. She is his only sexual partner during this book, which is refreshing. Dino Bachetti, his old NYPD partner, usual
Greer Andjanetta
Mar 15, 2014 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still another immensely readable, immensely enjoyable about NYC lawyer/ex-cop Stone Barrington and his merry crew. This time, occasional character , Herbie Fisher returns, very rich, having won the lottery. His fiance jumps off a building, his new fiance flees to Mexico ahead of the cops and SB helps an arms dealer gain exemption for his past misdeeds by cooperating with the FBI. Good story!!
Stuart Woods 3 14 Oct 16, 2012 06:48AM
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • The Judas Gate (Sean Dillon, #18)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14)
  • Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • Treasure Hunt (Wyatt Hunt, #2)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)