Start by marking “Tuhannen planeetan valtakunta (Avaruusagentti Valerianin seikkailuja, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tuhannen planeetan valtakunta (Avaruusagentti Valerianin seikkailuja, #2)

Tuhannen planeetan valtakunta (Valérian #2)

Erään kaukaisen galaksin suuressa aurinkokunnassa on suuremmoinen Syrte, Tuhannan planeetan valtakunnan keskus. Syrtellä ei ole koskaan keksitty aikamatkustamisen taitoa ja vasta nyt Maa on ensimmäistä kertaa ottamassa yhteyttä. Kehitys on kuitenkin Syrtellä pysähtynyt ja ennen niin loistelias pääkaupunki on rappeutumassa, sillä tiede on korvattu uskonnolla, jonka salaperä ...more
Published 1994 by Kustannus Oy Jalava (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Tuhannen planeetan valtakunta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuhannen planeetan valtakunta

Jokoloyo
Despite the title, this book is more like planetary romance than space opera. Time travel capability on protagonist's ship is just a gimmick. I still don't understand the limitation of the time travel ships of Space-Time Agency, and if the limitation has been explained, maybe I missed them (maybe it is explained in another book of the series).

The one strong point of this book is the planetary romance theme through the adventure plot. Oh boy, how I spent hours of my life just watching the art of
Elijah Kinch Spector
First of all, everyone can stop giving their fiction titles that they think will appeal to me, because someone already released a comic called The Empire of a Thousand Planets and it doesn't get much better than that. For me.

Now, truth be told, I just read The Empire of a Thousand Planets, but I don't remember it well enough to get real in-depth here. This is because I read it in a night, really in about an hour, while my fiancée played Quantum Conundrum . I was still plugging away at Defeat
Jim
Mar 30, 2016 Jim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
D.j.
Nov 13, 2016 D.j. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Re read this when I found out they were making the movie , and A trailer was to come. I have since seen said trailer and cannot wait for the movie ... Graphic novels were once thought of as " Kids trash" in the early days... labeled as comic books and never considered as serious matter to most. I have never thought of them that way. Sure they arent all 1000 page pieces of literature, but they dont have to be, some can take you places with the imagery and the prose that some writers could never ...more
Bailee Walsh
Dec 06, 2016 Bailee Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I like this adventure better than the first and I like the color palette better than the first. while reading this comic, I was looking at the illustrations so much. Especially since at the back of the book there is a page that compares images from the comic to stills from Star Wars, it was sort of odd reading this knowing it was an inspiration for it! During merchant scenes, I was particularly thinking of Star Wars. Overall, this series is fun. It's not great in terms of plot, at least so far, ...more
Katie
Valerian & Laureline adventure to a new world where they find the inhabitants oppressed by mysterious usurpers who have been slowly choking commerce to what had previously been a thriving city. They find friends among the merchant's guild and work together to overthrow the domineering "Enlighteneds."

This one came out in 1969. The stories are fine, but I think a portion of the fascination for me will see how (and if) the writer's change their approach to women & social issues. Right now,
Andy
Nov 18, 2016 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aiming to read through the series before the movie comes out, and enjoyed this.

Excellent artwork by Mézières that goes hand in hand with a quick but entertaining story by Christin. I liked the banter between Valerian and Laureline, and hope that's replicated in the upcoming movie too.

A good Sci-Fi read. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
iarXiv
Dec 13, 2016 iarXiv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-english
Slightly more interesting and imaginative than #1.
The_Mad_Swede
This is my second encounter with Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières' two time-space agents from Galaxity, capital of the Terran Empire in the 28th century, and the album is also the second album in the series about Valerian and Laureline (here published by excellent UK euro-comics publisher Cinebook).

Whereas the first album set up the time travelling parameters of this fictional universe, this second outing instead delves into outer space, as our heroes travel to the Empire of a Thousand P
Gabriel Wallis
Sep 08, 2016 Gabriel Wallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Empire of a Thousand Planets. The upcoming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets movie got me interested in reading the Valerian and Laureline graphic novels. Definitely looking forward to reading the next in the series, The Land Without Stars.
Chris
Aug 28, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-comics
Excellent, as always. This is some real quality high adventure-Space Opera stuff. The most intriguing thing about Valerian and Laureline to me is the blatant similarities to Star Wars. Especially in this volume... some of the panels are identical to scenes... curious... very curious. Overall though, this was my favorite volume that I've read. The art is top notch, and the story (though wacky) is great.
Dbgirl
Sep 06, 2014 Dbgirl rated it liked it
I have now read few Valerian books, I've enjoyed all of them more or less. This is so far the best: it has interesting story overall, it looks amazing, it has memorable characters, it's full of imagination, it's playful and it's not as clumsy as previous ones I've read. I would give this 3,5 if I could but goodreads system doesn't allow it. 4 stars would still be too much even I liked it very much. I wish I would have found this as a child.
Peter
Jul 26, 2016 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A decade before Star Wars this graphic novel captures the swashbuckling wonder of space opera in a very satisfying story. You can see the elements that were borrowed by George Lucas for his epic. Valerian and Laureline is one of the greatest inspirational works for the genre. This volume narrates the adventures of the space time agents in the Syrtian empire. I have personally enjoyed the style full of twentieth century future concepts and designs.
Sean Kottke
May 08, 2016 Sean Kottke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2016
I've enjoyed this the most of the Valerian and Laureline albums thus far. The overarching story structure is more cohesive than the previous albums and less obviously serial. I read somewhere that this is the album upon which the upcoming movie will be most directly based. The political content of the story - government by science-informed leaders or theocracy - remains relevant four decades after it publication.
Markku Kesti
Aug 25, 2014 Markku Kesti rated it it was amazing
Avaruusagentti Valerianin ja Laurelinen seikkailut ympäri galakseja ja aikaa ovat humaaneja, ihmisarvoa ja kaikenlaista tasa-arvoa puolustava, visuaalisesti tyrmäävä taribakokonaisuus. Lisäksi sarja sisältää poikkeuksellusen hienoja tarinan kuljetuksia, kuvakulmia ja kaikkea tätä jo puolen vuosisadan ajalta. Lähes kaikki hyvät sf leffat ovat benchmarkanneetValerianin. Ehkä olisi sinunkin jo aika?
Tom Loock
Sep 12, 2016 Tom Loock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, graphic-novel
Hat mir beim ersten Mal lesen besser gefallen, aber wenn man sieht, daß es vor über 40 Jahren entstanden ist, hat es den vierten Stern doch verdient. Im Vergleich zu heutigen SF-Comics ist die Story natürlich recht simpel.
5greenway
Jan 02, 2016 5greenway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems a bit of a cheat logging this on here, but read a couple of similar things in 2015. Good fun.
Frans Karlsson
Aug 17, 2014 Frans Karlsson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-sci-fi
The heroes travel to a distant area of space to discover if there is a threat against earth and find themselves swept up in a battle against the evil masked men.
Lionel
Je préfère la version voyage dans l'espace que voyage dans le temps, mais ça reste assez classique comme histoire.
Rita
To my great surprise this series is being re-released in English! Buying them and re-reading them as they are coming along. They are as awesome as ever! :-)
Janika Puolitaival
Janika Puolitaival rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Christophe
Christophe rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Krishna Padilha
Krishna Padilha rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Antaeus
Antaeus rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Tero Kaukonen
Tero Kaukonen rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Pedro
Pedro rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
René Beaulieu
René Beaulieu rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2010
Kendall
Kendall rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
  • Z comme Zorglub (Spirou et Fantasio, #15)
  • Le Trio de l'étrange (Yoko Tsuno, #1)
  • Scars (Orbital #1)
  • Corto, toujours un peu plus loin (Corto Maltese # 4)
  • Wake: Gearing Up (Sillage, #3)
  • La Fille sous la dunette
  • 32 décembre (Le Sommeil du monstre #2)
  • La conque de Ramor (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, #1)
  • The Day of the Black Sun (XIII, #1)

Valérian (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The City of Shifting Waters (Valérian, #1)
  • Le Pays sans étoile (Valérian, #3)
  • Bienvenue sur Alflolol (Valérian, #4)
  • Les Oiseaux du Maître (Valérian, #5)
  • L'Ambassadeur des Ombres (Valérian, #6)
  • Sur les terres truquées (Valérian, #7)
  • Les Héros de l'équinoxe (Valérian, #8)
  • Métro Châtelet direction Cassiopée (Valérian #9)
  • Brooklyn station terminus cosmos (Valérian, #10)
  • Les Spectres d'Inverloch (Valérian, #11)