Start by marking “On a Windy Night” as Want to Read:
On a Windy Night

On a Windy Night

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

On a windy Halloween night, as a little boy makes his way home after trick-or-treating, he hears a voice: "Cracklety-clack, bones in a sack. They could be yours if you look back." As his heart flip-flops with fear, the boy dashes through woods and fields that seem full of haunting shapes owls, ghosts, skeletons, and more. The detailed illustrations are packed with visua

Published October 1st 2010 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about On a Windy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Windy Night

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
45th out of 74 books — 143 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
131st out of 343 books — 353 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
3.5 STARS A little boy walks home alone on a dark, windy, spooky night; he believes he sees many things that threaten him and keeps hearing creaky, scary sounds and someone say, "Bag of Bones! You'll be next if you turn to look!" Oooh, so spooky! Really, it was a tad creepy for me (granted, I'm a wimp when it comes to spooky stuff, haha!) and I think it will be too scary for some children; but it will also be wonderful for others, those who like the delicious chills and thrills of being a little ...more
Katie Krimmel
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Krimmel rated it it was amazing
The book On a Windy Night by Nancy Raines Day is a perfect read out loud kind of book. The story is about a little boy who is walking home alone through a dark wooded area. He starts to hear noises behind him and his imagination wonders off on him and he gets scared and starts to run home. Even though the story may sound scary the illustrations by George Bates show otherwise. The illustrations look like wood block prints, giving each image lots of lines and detail which helps give each scene a s ...more
Heidi
A good suspense story--very much like the old scary stories we'd tell when a repeated phrase gets louder and louder. Not really sure what the all-ages would think in my storytime. I could see them being scared, but I don't want them to get too scared before we get to the not-scary ending. Still it's something different and I feel like I keep doing the same thing each Halloween.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 15, 2013 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
On a Windy Night by Nancy Raines Day is a Halloween book about a boy walking home at dusk. The wind beats up all sorts of different things, made worse by his imagination.

In the wind the boy here's a voice, "Cracklety-clack, bones in a sack. They could be yours — if you look back." Imagining that he's being pursued, he runs on, stopping to examine each possible threat.

The artwork done by George Bates shows in rich saturated colors, and strong lines the things the boy thinks he sees. Then with a f
michella
Nov 07, 2015 michella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, for-ews
a fun and just a little scary halloween story. we can read it over and over again.
Miri
Jan 10, 2015 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
A fun Halloween story about a little boy on his way home in the dark and how his imagination can turn harmless stalks of corn into frightening skeletons dancing in the night. The little boy encounters scary shadows and mysterious shapes on his way home, only to learn that everything was harmless and it was his fear that created the spooky monsters that he saw.

This story may be frightening to some children.
meg
i cannot WAIT to share this in a storytime this fall. the text is mesmerizing and perfect for a dramatic read aloud and the art is so inventive and appealingly eerie. this is just the right blend of spooky and reassuring, and though it's clearly a halloween title, i think it's also a terrific book about dealing with fear year round.
Stephanie Watson
Jul 14, 2013 Stephanie Watson rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book to read out loud to children around Halloween. This is a book about a little boy who is walking through the forest by himself. He hears different noises that scare him. I think that is can stress the importance of being safe and not walking around at night alone. It's a great book to read to K-3 grade.
Clacie
Oct 03, 2013 Clacie rated it really liked it
It's Halloween book reading time! As you may have read in my previous reviews of children's books, my son Jesse, (age 5) loves books that rhyme. This one certainly got him from page one. He's been walking around all night saying, "cracklety crack, bones in a sack". The illustrations were really neat too.
Stefani
Jan 11, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
There's a wonderful rhythm to this story that just begs to be read aloud. The costume and candy make this a Halloween book, but it can fit any fall spooky storytime. While I loved finding the images within the pictures, the sheer fullness of the picture could prove difficult for an audience to see.
Donalyn
Walking home from trick-or-treating, a boy hears scary noises in the woods and jumps at shadows. The pen and ink drawings, spooky refrain, and pacing of the text build suspense and draw readers into the story. A fantastic read aloud for Halloween!
Michael
A little too scary for my taste, with the boy running and screaming for a lot of the book. The funny ending comes too late in my opinion, and the art is a little hard to make out with all of the dark colors. The last line was funny, though.
Leah
Fabulous illustrations! A boy walking through the forest late at night hears and eerie voice and is scared. Turns out to be a mouse in his pack eating his Halloween candy. Preschoolers might not get the joke.
Maggi Rohde
May 11, 2015 Maggi Rohde rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2010, scary
Scary picture books are always at a premium. This one will no doubt fly off the shelves during October. It's scary without being too threatening, and the children drive the story.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Nov 02, 2013 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
This is a fun little rhyming Halloween book. My son liked it, but it was just good. Not great. I think this would be a great one to read aloud for Halloween though!
Jenna Friebel
Oct 16, 2011 Jenna Friebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Cute Halloween tale with just the right amount of spookiness. Really neat illustrations. I read this to a group of K-5 kids, and they all really enjoyed it.
Mariah Christensen
Aug 26, 2013 Mariah Christensen rated it liked it
The illustrations were the best part. The story is predictable and very similar to a dozen other children's Halloween books I have read.
Kristin
Oct 02, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The balance of illustration which provoked great discussion with my child took away from the potential creepiness of the verbal text.
Ary Nilandari
Sep 03, 2012 Ary Nilandari rated it really liked it
Another style of illustration...
Capturing the dark and scary situation in the story
Melissa
Good for the "scary picture book" kids.
Susan
Oct 19, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love spooky kids books!
Morgan
Oct 10, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Spooky
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Pierrepaolo Nofies
Pierrepaolo Nofies rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
  • Spork
  • In the Wild
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Blizzy, the Worrywart Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #2)
  • Snook Alone
  • A Very Brave Witch
  • Humbug Witch
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • Dancing Feet!
  • 10 Trick-or-Treaters
  • Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow: a Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix
Nancy Raines Day is the author of nine picture books. Her most recent are What in the World? Numbers in Nature, Way Down Below Deep,A is for Alliguitar: Musical Alphabeasts, and On a Windy Night. Her first children's book, The Lion's Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale, was a New York Times notable book of the year. She earned a BA in journalism from the University of Michigan and an MA in literacy jo ...more
More about Nancy Raines Day...