Start by marking “Holes” as Want to Read:

Holes (Holes #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  615,541 ratings  ·  12,883 reviews
This winner of the Newbery Medal and the National Book Award features Stanley Yelnats, a kid who is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build charact ...more
Published August 14th 2001 by Laurel Leaf (first published August 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Holes, please sign up.

I am very sad that I never read this as a young person, because I think that I would have loved it even more than I do now. I think that it probably would have blown my mind. I have to applaud Louis Sachar for being so courageous in a children’s novel.

Effortlessly weaving together the past, present, and ancient history of these characters, Mr. Sachar examines the impact of our history and the nature of hope and human compassion, all while maintaining a light, humorous quality. This is a book for
Shayantani Das
No wonder this book has got a Newberry Award. Its 200 something pages of pure awesomeness! By beautifully executing such an ingenious concept, Louis Sachar has made me his fan.

Stanley Yelnats is an over sized preteen who is falsely accused of stealing. He is provided with the option to choose between jail and camp green lake. Stanley is not well of, and has never been to camp, so his choice is obvious. Unfortunately though, Camp green lake is not the usual camp. He gets his fair share of adventu
Funny story: I'm trying to shelve this book, and can't remember if it had been banned (but I thought it had - google confirmed). At the same time, my friend Allison and I are chatting on Google Chat, and she starts ranting about how ridiculous book banning is (an opinion with which I agree wholeheartedly). Anyway, the conversation went like this:

me: Is Holes a banned book? I can't remember
allison: dunno... the whole concept of banned books is stupid. I mean, you could find a reason to gripe abo
I knew of a friend who lost everything when her father started digging holes. You see, her dad was a treasure hunter. And to be a treasure hunter, you are supposed to be well equipped and with good manpower. You must also be in possession of a reliable map and a lot of time. You also need a lot of money to be able to acquire all the above things. Unfortunately, my friend's father only acquired a fake map, swindlers for company and equipment worth nothing when you're digging the wrong hole. Littl ...more
I was picking up some books at the resale shop and for some reason found myself browsing in the children’s books. It seemed like the usual fare at first, some Dr. Seuss, a mangy copy of a Clifford book, a few ratty Choose Your Own Adventure paperbacks, Hugh Hefner’s autobiography, some smut called “The Very Virile Viking”, and “Pimp” by Iceberg Slim. Tucked amongst all this tawdry trash was something called “Holes”, which seemed to make sense sandwiched between “Pimp” and Hef’s life saga.

I soon
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it seems I'm no longer absolutely cool in my daughter's eyes. I could understand if her particular issues with me were current fashion or "the" things to do while hanging out with friends, but books? BOOKS?!? Oh, the pain!

I don't say anything about the girly girl preteen drivel she loves to read (after all, I occasionally read girly girl grownup drivel) and I recommend a wide range of books (while keeping in mind she doesn't have the same penchant for s
Mary Taitt
Feb 05, 2008 Mary Taitt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mary by: Erwin
Shelves: young-adult
Holes, by Louis Sachar, 5/5. It was really good; I loved it. It's a young adult novel from which a movie was made. I have not seen the movie, but I hope to. The book is a Newberry Award Winner.

Stanley Yelnats is falsely accused of stealing a pair of sneakers and set to Camp Green Lake, for criminal boys. To build character, the boys get up at 4:30 every morning and dig holes--big holes. If they find anything unusual, they are supposed to report it. But the warden isn't looking for fossils or pre
I thought this author did an especially clever job on the way he set up the story. He flipped back-and-forth between generations, never getting confusing, never giving information too soon, never giving information too late. This was very fun to read.
Thoughtful and studious read. I can't say anything bad about the book, since every chapter made perfect sense. It just didn't bring out any emotion in me. Also, I found myself a bit bored throughout the flashbacks. Mostly, I think the biggest problem is that I'm too old for this book, even though I know it sounds a little pretentious.

Stanley's family was cursed by a gypsy because of his great great great Pig-stealing-Grandpa. His dad tries to make a formula to get rid of the smell of old worn o
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Holes is one of my favorite books of all time. The whole thing is just so clever. The writing style is simple, but not boring. Every character is amazingly developed and believable. I like how the story of the present and the story of the past connect to each other perfectly in the end. And the movie version is really good, too! I highly suggest this book to everyone.
Anna Aguirre
Love, love, love! Kids love it, too. A great novel about inner strength and persistence.
Everybody knows who this man is, right?

I mean, I'm looking over the reviews for this book on the front page and I can find no mention. There's not a whisper of the author's previous successes. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the word "Wayside" is not coming up in any of my "control+F" searches. Absolutely nothing.

"Sideways Stories from Wayside School"?! Really?! The absolute greatest story about an elementary school ever told? The one built sideways accidentally, with no 13th floor? Mrs. Gorf?
Holes is the first installment in Louis Sachar's middle grade/young adult series titled: Holes. Again, I'm so happy to say I've found joy in reading along with my 5th grade son. This academic year has been full of fun required reading and that makes me so happy for him. It's hard to be excited about required reading but it helps so much when the content is entertaining.

I watched the film adaptation of Holes prior to reading the book, but I'm happy to say the two are almost exactly the same. Wel
This book really surprised me and surpassed all of my expectations for it. I loved the characters and thought the story itself was clever and nicely laid out. I never got the feeling that the author was talking down to his audience because this is a young adult novel, which is a big pet peeve of mine. Stanley and Zero were a great pair, though Zero was my favorite, and I was kept in constant suspense waiting for the next bad shoe to drop.
Muhammad Galal
خلاصة القصّة : المال الحلال أبدًا لا يضيع !
-- أحيانًا تسوقُك الأقدار لمعاناة تكون سببًا في خلاصك من ذنوبك و سعادتك فيما بعد ،
فاصبر و لا تجزع و دع قطار الحياة يسير بكَ إلى منتهاه .
-- و تخلّص " ستانلي " من إثم جدّ جدّه و كتب بيده نهاية لعنة استمرّت أكثر من مائة عام ، و سينتهون قريبًا من كيل السبُاب لجدّ جدّه السيء القذر المقزّز سارق الخنزير ...!
-- بالرغم أنّ تصنيف القصّة أدب أمريكي للأطفال ، إلّا إنّها أعجبتني جدًا ووجدتها أفضل بكثير من الأدب المكتوب للكبار.
-- " ساشار " تنقّل بخفّة يُحسَد عليْها ب
I read this while working at the bookstore. People kept coming in and saying "Do you have that book - Holes?" and finally I signed out a copy and read it to see what all the fuss was. It was a really good read! I immediatly understood why everyone was making a fuss over the book and why it was going to be made into a movie. (I never did see the movie.)

Mary JL
Aug 25, 2013 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone age 11 on up
Recommended to Mary JL by: Several recommendations on GR
I know this book won the Newberry Medal--and other awards. But I must review my books for me--I rate it a very good, strong 3 stars but no higher. Defintely worth reading for anyone, however. I also freely admit--had I read this at age 12, I WOULD have rated it four stars.

First, tops marks to the author for interlinking two stories--Stanley's incarceration at Camp Green Lake and the earlier tale of Kate Barlow. The matching and interweaving of the two plot lines is well done.

I would have liked a
Rachel Hartman
I didn't think it could be done, but we finally found it: a chapter book my son and I both enjoyed equally. It wasn't too scary for him (at least not once it became clear that Stanley really was going to be able to dig that first hole -- B was super worried about him), and it wasn't too tedious for me. We both looked forward to reading it together, and even made excuses to read longer than usual each evening because we were enjoying it so much.

I enjoyed watching my son piece together past and pr
This book is so much fun! I used to take clippings from magazines with book reviews, found an old clipping about this book cleaning up the house recently and thought...mmm... let's read this one. Timing was impeccable. I went through an explosive challenging period of really hard work and high pressure in the office and this book made me look forward to reading if only a few pages when coming home. A quirky funny story about a boy called Stanley who is sent to 'Green Camp Lake', a boy's detentio ...more
Paulo Flores Chico
If you don't know this, I love young adult novels. This one especially. It might seem like just another book about young boys dealing with pride, losers versus bullies, loyalty and masculinity. But there's actually really cute and romantic story in it all.
I know I never had this in my "currently reading" list, but I had to jump on it for the following reasons:

1) My friend Mitchell read it recently and reminded me of it,

2) I remembered we actually have a copy of this handy,

3) It wouldn't be hard to complete before the end of the year, and

4) It fits with a running theme of "books that have been made into movies", of which I've read more than a dozen this year (Tuck Everlasting, The Time Machine, I Robot, I am Number Four, Stardust, Gulliver's Trave
Summary- Holes was a book about a family that was cursed by a gypsy because of Stanley's great great great Pig stealing Grandpa. Stanley's dad is trying to make a formula that will get rid of the smell of very old worn out sneakers. Stanley's family curse is making them unsuccessful in what he trying to do. Stanley is sent to Camp Green Lake because he was accused of stealing from an orphanage. He met Zero at the Camp. Zero ran away fro the camp Stanley went after him. Stanley didn't know Zero ...more
I finally went back and read this, and... stupendous. The fashion in which Louis Sachar unfolds his three stories -- four, if you count Zero's separately -- is pure wonder, 100% not from concentrate straight from the spring of genius. This is probably the only classic in elementary schools that I fully support. <3

While Stanley is the protagonist (and good thing too -- he's the one who the reader will feel closest, too), the novel really belongs to a cast of characters spanning countries and g
Spencer Johnston
Holes by Louis Sachar is a mystery/adventure novel about a boy named Stanley Yelnats. Stanley was from an economically disadvantaged family. He was accused of a theft that he did not commit. At his trial, Stanley is found guilty and has a choice of going to jail or a juvenile work prison called Camp Green Lake. He thinks carefully and decides on giving Camp Green Lake a chance.

The majority of the book is about Stanley's hard labor at Green Lake, the mystery surrounding Green Lake and Stanley's
Beth F.
Great little book! If my future children are readers, this is definitely one I'd like to set in front of them.

The main character, Stanley Yelnats, is wrongly accused of stealing a pair of sneakers. And when it comes right down to it, he's not all that surprised that something like that would have happened to him thanks to a generational curse that has affected his family going all the way back to a promise broken by his great-great grandfather. Through an unusual set of circumstances (call it d
Leila T.
I just started Holes by Louis Sachar and the book is about a boy named Stanley who goes to sort of like a delinquent camp where as a punishment he has to dig a hole in the hot, grueling sun every single day that he is at the camp. At first it took me a little while to get interested in the book, but when I got interested the book just basically sucked me in. One thing that made the book so great was how descriptive Sachar was. For example, when he gets his shovel for the first time he describes ...more
Rachel Lightwood
I have been meaning to pick this book up ever since I watched the movie as I kid, and I am glad that I finally picked it up. It was an easy read that I flew through in only an hour or so. The characters were realistic, though a little dull. I loved the flashbacks to Kate Barlow's story, seeing how the "curse" came to be and the history of Green Lake. The ending was terrible, but kind of hilarious at the same time.

Overall, a funny, easy read that I would certainly recommend.
Dana Kenedy
This is the book that got me obsessed with reading.

It was 2000, I was 11-years-old and never before had I stayed up late into the night so I could finish reading a book.
The yellow-spotted lizards... eat small animals, insects, certain cactus thorns, and the shells of sunflower seeds.

This, casually mentioned just after someone spat shells into freshly dug holes. Because he'd taken up sunflower seeds after quitting smoking. Which the Warden did not appreciate.

It's the structure of Holes that's always stood out to me. The way the details are revealed - and then tied into seemingly unrelated, already-mentioned details - and the way it builds on itself - it's nothin
This is a book that I really really liked. Before I did not like any of the newberry honor or medal awarded books. Because I thought they were boring and full of themes and knowledges. This book is also a Newberry medal winner.This book is different. This could be a complicated book for low reading level readers, but it really gets interesting if you understand the story.
There was a boy called Stanley who was getting teased by bullies every day in his life. One day a pair of shoes fell out of
Flat and Round characters 3 6 20 hours, 49 min ago
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • Missing May
  • The View from Saturday
  • Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1)
  • Al Capone Does My Shirts (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #1)
  • Frindle
  • Bloomability
  • Kira-Kira
  • The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963
  • Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2)
  • Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1)
  • Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
  • Maniac Magee
  • A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
  • The Bronze Bow
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2)
  • The Slave Dancer
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Holes (2 books)
  • Small Steps (Holes, #2)

57 trivia questions
26 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“If only, if only," the woodpecker sighs,
"The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies."
While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
Crying to the moo-oo-oon,
"If only, If only.”
“It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather!” 119 likes