Start by marking “Getting Over Jack Wagner” as Want to Read:
Getting Over Jack Wagner

Getting Over Jack Wagner

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Where are all the real rock stars?
Eliza is looking to date a rock star -- though she uses the term loosely. None of her boyfriends have been famous. Most have unbearable habits and overbearing mothers. A few only played show tunes. Still, they're intense. Pierced. Tragically stubbled. With a predilection for dressing in black. Eliza finds them deep -- in theory, anyway
Published April 1st 2003 by Gallery Books (first published March 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Over Jack Wagner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Over Jack Wagner

The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberMini Skirts and Laughter Lines by Carol E. WyerThe Meaning of Purple Tulips by Bláithín O' Reilly MurphyOne Pink Line by Dina SilverFourteen Days Later by Sibel Hodge
Best Debut Chick Lit
59th out of 197 books — 839 voters
Someone Like You by Sarah DessenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerSalvaged by Stefne MillerForever... by Judy BlumeAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Feet!
128th out of 437 books — 308 voters

More lists with this book...

Jadine
I liked this book just fine. Another chick-lit about a girl you're sure you know and friends you are sure would like. Alot of it was reminiscing about the 80's and I liked those parts the best.
Howard
MaryAnn
This was a disappointing book about a twenty something who gives twenty somethings a bad name. Self absorbed, rather grim and nasty Eliza has a penchant for dating rock stars or potential rock stars then dumping them when their humanity is revealed. i.e. one takes her home to meet mom who "grooms him" picking lint off of his person and his beard while he does nothing about it. This is a major offense. What?

I am tired of books that think it is clever to picture various characters as types, vague
Bonnie
Fluffy chick lit, nothing amazing, but enjoyable. Eliza is a 20-something single woman intent on dating rock stars and only rock stars. The title is what grabbed me since I was a Jack Wagner fan in high school (went to see him in concert not once but twice!). The first person story is "semi-autobiographical" the author says, "Like many things in fiction, they have their roots in real life and are then exaggerated, intensified, taken to the extreme." With her polar opposite best friends (Hannah, ...more
Betty Time
I really liked this book! It's a light/funny read about a woman who only dates rockstars. The cool thing about it is in the book, the main character Eliza is writing a book about dating rockstars and her idea is to have a mixtape/playlist at the beginning of each chapter that goes along with what's happening in that chapter and the author, Elise Juska, does that in "getting over Jack Wagner".
Michele Bolay
Because this came out in the 90s and has a contemporary, urban, single female protagonist it got lumped in with "chick lit." It is that, but it also more than that. Juska writes really well and deserves to be considered on her own merit.
Alexis
Eliza likes to date, but when it comes to choosing who she dates, there's only one criteria: that he be a rock star. When it comes down to it, Eliza finally realizes that maybe that's her problem.

Notes: While reading, I thought this was going to be an excellent book. I was slightly disappointed by the end, but nonetheless, it was still an interesting book. Elise, unlike most Chick Lit writers, didn't do the usual cop out ending by hooking the lead character with her best guy friend in the end. I
Stephanie
The main character was a bit pathetic, self absorbed and mundane. Great title - unfortunately the story does not live up to the title. Poor Jack Wagner!
Cj
Ok. Not quite YA fiction but definitely young. Girl finds herself when she examines past relationships. Not Juska's best.
Suzanne
Mar 30, 2007 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: single ladies
chic lit for the independent smart single girl

I probably should have saved this for "summer" reading, but it was good enough that I couldn't put it down. I don't think I expanded my brain, per se- but she totally hits the "why do I keep dating the same kind of guy over and over" theme squarely on the head. Juska is a witty writer, and her book is as often touching as it is funny. I especially love her childhood memories complete with 80s pop culture references.

I picked up this book because I fe
Leah Madsen
I loved it, especially the end. Eliza just felt so real and I totally connected to her.
Natalie
Not what I expected but still a nice story.
Aileen
I read this book that Karen passed on to me last Tuesday when I was being a shut-in. It's a damn riot. I always watched Jack Wagner as Frisco on General Hospital when I was a kid. In the book I love the main gal's obsession since childhood with Jack Wagner and his song "All I Need." She takes an intro college music class and notices everyone is madly scribbling in their notebooks. She assumes they're composing and so she starts writing down all the words to "All I Need" in her notebook. Too funn ...more
Michael
Amusing novel with solid, clear prose.
Lynnea
I love this book, even just the title gets me. I grew up from a very young age loving Jack Wagner as Frisco on General Hospital. My mom watched the show. I was in awe of the character of Frisco, as was Liza in the story. The emotions of the story seem so real to me because of the personal connection. I didn't fall in love with wanna be Rock Stars, but I love the ideas portrayed in the book. It is a funny, almost Bridget Jones like, story telling.
Liz Crowley
Sep 26, 2007 Liz Crowley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Chic
I really liked this book- in fact I really liked her latest two books. Elisa Juska has to be around 30 b/c her main charachter in this book is very relatable to girls in their mid twenties- around the time I read this. Her main charachter struggles with her best friend getting married while she still considers herself still growing up. Really good read- would reccomend her other two books as well.
Marnie
I loved this book! Eliza was realistic & really funny, parts made me laugh out loud. I especially liked all the 80s memories. There were a couple things that the author got wrong ("Full House" took place in San Francisco, not Seattle, & "The Search is Over" is by Survivor, not Foreigner) but it was a really good story. It didnt have much of an ending, so maybe there will be a sequel?
♥ Marlene♥
On January 27th 2006 I wrote:

I have tried twice to get into this book but I failed.Yesterday I read the first 120 pages and yes I did like some parts, the stuff where she talks about her youth) other parts just bored me. So I gave up. I have so many other TBR's, and 120 pages is a good try at least.Thank you for sharing Michelle. sorry about this. Hope alsgally likes it more :-)
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A bit more thoughtful than
your average chick lit.
Eliza finds herself falling
for rock stars over and over
as her friend announces her
engagement and her sister
announces her pregnancy.
Suzanne
This was a cute get-ready-for-summer read. And a chick lit rarity: a non-predictable ending (I really thought I had it pegged!). The pop culture references will definitely hook any reader in the 28-38 demographic, but without this quirky nostalgia the book would not have fared that well. Gimmicky but fun!
Peggy
This book received good reviews, but I personally could take it or leave it. It is the story of a twenty-something copywriter who, since adolescence, has dated one rock musician after another. Parts are funny; parts are reminiscent of my own youth, but it wasn't a book I'd recommend.
Kate
May 16, 2007 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: single ladies
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Again, another "chick lit" book, but a great read. I liked the non-linear story-telling as well as the usage of songs/music.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Unlike many pieces of "chick lit," this book did not end "happily" in the traditional way. I thought the ending was realistic and fitting.
Christy
Just another depressing book to add to all the others I seem to be getting hold of...some woman trying to figure out why she can't find "the one" and why she is fine just the way she is...blah blah blah. This book just depressed me.
Tara
I found the main character very childish and dark. Although she grew up slightly in the end, it did not ring true for me. Of course, I will admit that partly is because I would never have dated any of the men that she did.
Jess
Total girl fluff chick lit. Super enjoyable and a nice reward for thinking too hard lately. Totally made me think back to that first real celebrity crush that has probably influenced dating choices to this day.
Jenn
I thought this would be s nice contemporary romance. Instead, it was drivel and whining. Not a great combination. I had read other reviews but never pay much heed to them. In this case I probably should have.
Amy
Loved, loved, loved it. I think this book is loosely based on my life. If you grew up in the 80s, it's a must read. The only fault I could find with it is that Full House was shot in S.F. not Seattle.
Stephanie
Slight. I skimmed the last third of the book; all the characters and stories were the same, as even the narrator/author acknowledged. Made me realize just how small a world most people live in.
This book was okay. Another chick-lit about a girl you're sure you know and friends you are sure would like. A lot of it was reminiscing about the 80's and I liked those parts the best.
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • The Golden Leopard
  • Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken
  • What A Girl Wants
  • Swept Away
  • On the Couch
  • An Invitation to Seduction (Daughters of Fortune, #4)
  • Don't Sleep With Your Drummer
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
  • Tempo Change
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
  • The Dewey Decimal System of Love
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • The Exes
  • Too Much, Too Late
  • Girls' Poker Night
  • Easy
  • So You Want to Be a Rock Star
The Blessings The Hazards of Sleeping Alone One for Sorrow, Two for Joy The Blessings - Free Preview (The First Three Chapters) The Blessings - Free Preview (the First Three Chapters)