Start by marking “Time to Die” as Want to Read:
Time to Die

Time to Die (Courtney #7)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,501 ratings  ·  58 reviews
As the world around him burns with passion and death, professional hunter and guerrilla fighter Sean Courtney is trapped between his worst enemies, an overwhelming love for a woman, and his instincts to survive -- and kill.
Published August 31st 1991 by Fawcett (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Die

MarieAnna
One of the best books I have ever read! It is adventurous yet not unrealistic. It has all the important moments written on the right pages. I just could not put it down and read it at home,
in the train (next to me sat the lady with exactly the same copy!), simply everywhere. I am a native European, but it made me want to explore Africa right away! I wanted to move there, wanted to live there and be an african. What? That is how good the book is!
The Cats Mother
This seemed a bit different to a lot of the other WS books I've read - yet it's set in Africa and involves a Courtenay, but the relentless violence, bloodlust and cruelty was pretty wearying, not to mention the sexism and attitudes to hunting which were probably considered acceptable in 1989 but now felt very distasteful."
Mick
Not a bad book. I started out hating all the main characters but they grew on me by the end.

The Kindle version is full of typos, like they just scanned the actual book and didn't even proof read it. Still readable, but annoying.

I would have given 4 out of 5 with no typos.
Pablos
Jest całkiem możliwe, że doświadczam właśnie książkowego kaca. Konkretnie poświęconego prozie Wilbura Smitha. Od kilku ostatnich książek mówiłem sobie, że teraz czas na przerwę, na coś innego. Mimo to zaraz po ukończeniu lektury sięgam po kolejną pozycję tego twórcy, Wilbur Smith jest bowiem bardzo utalentowany jeśli chodzi o zakończenia swoich powieści. Nawet jeśli całość bywała monotonna, to końcówka zazwyczaj robi sporo zamieszania i czytelnik po prostu odczuwa mus poznania dalszej historii w ...more
Things to expect from a Wilbur Smith book:

1. Constant chaos and adventure
2. A particularly macho main character
3. Death of a father-figure within the first third of the book
4. Deaths of most of the hero's friends, while he miraculously scrapes through every possible situation through sheer awesome man-i-ness
5. Weird female characters.

What struck me as I was reading A Time to Die was that WS seemed to be trying to write a 'strong female character' at the start of the book, but actually she just c
আকাশ আব্দুল্লাহ
বইটার শুরুর প্রায় শতাধিক পৃষ্ঠা পর্যন্ত শিকার কাহিনী। প্রথমে ভেভেছিলাম বইটা স্মিথের আর সব বই থেকে আলাদা,একটা জিম করবেট টাইপ শিকার কাহিনী হতে পারে।তবে শিকার কাহিনী যে খারাপ লাগছিলো তা না।ভালই লাগছিলো কাহিনী।

একশত পৃষ্ঠার পর থেকেই বইয়ের কাহিনী মোড় নিতে থাকে।গল্পের নায়ক শন কোর্টনি যে একজন এক্স কর্নেল, ফ্রেলিমো আর রেনামো;এই দুই বাহিনীর মাঝখানে আফ্রিকার সহিংস যুদ্ধে আটকা পড়ে যায়।তার সাথে অপরূপা ক্লডিয়া মনটেরো আর শনের বন্ধু জোব আর মাতাউ।কাহিনী এগিয়ে যায়। শন বাধ্য হয় রেনামোদের হয়ে গেরিলা অপারেশনে কমান্ড
Queen of Shadows *damon salvatores lover*
so much suspense, sex-appeal and adventure...the story of a simple hunt is turned into so much more
Natasa Tovornik
not one of my favourites by smith.
Serban Georgiana
Ador aceasta serie ,si-mi place nespus de mult felul in care scrie Wilbur Smith.Aceasta serie este fabuloasa.
Inca de la primul volum al seriei pur si simplu nu te poti abtine si te indragostesi iremediabil de Africa.Cred ca nici un alt autor nu a zugravit-o mai bine asa caum a reusit Smith.Felul in care a reusit sa plaseze personajele familiei Courtney si cum a impletit destinul familiei in istoria Africii ,este minunat.
Nu poti ramane pasiv atunci cand citesti aceasta serie,mi-au placut enorm
Eva Hunter
Wow, I just finished reading the book...and am filled with the feeling "I'm glad we made it through".
I read this book, because it got picked at the book club and am not sure if I would have read it on my own account.
Nonetheless, I'm glad I read it...one experience the richer.

I like how the book starts of as a safari trip and turns into this life and death experience. It was an interesting move of the author to even describe the story through the eyes of the animals at times, so the reader gets a
Werehare
1,5/10

Questo libro detiene il record di contenere il punto più basso toccato in tutti i romanzi che finora ho letto di Wilbur Smith - e non è che gli altri mi siano piaciuti: ma quando mi sono trovata a leggere di una fanciulla che, in pieno territorio di guerra razziale, appena fuggita dalla prigionia, aggrappata alle fronde di un albero abbattuto in balia della corrente nel mezzo di un fiume pullulante di coccodrilli affamati, disarmata e inseguita da nemici armati fino ai denti, propone all'u
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction
Smith continues this series focussing on Sean Courtney. He is a safari leader of a rich American and his liberal daughter. Old enemies resurface, action and hunting scenes are very well done. If he would just stop trying to write romantic dialogue!! Would be a good movie with all the action, the blowing up stuff and the larger than life characters.
Canadian reference - Sean's office manager is engaged to a man in Toronto.
Chris
I used to gobble up Wilbur Smith's books, but haven't read one for a LONG time. So chose this older one I hadn't read. I think as I've gotten older, I'm more affected by all the violence in his books and killing of animals, but that said...it was a good action-adventure. There are a few romantic encounters that reek of bad Harlequin romance, thank goodness they are few!!

A father & adult daughter are on a hunting safari (1980's) led by Sean Courtney and close African friends from their days
Eoghan
This is quite a departure from the rest of the 'Courtneys of Africa' series with its focus being primarily on Sean Courtney. So instead of continent-hopping intrigue and family vendettas it's a plain and simple adventure confined to the jungles of Zimbabwe and Mozambique in the late 1980s.

While it starts off at an interminably slow pace it's worth sticking with it and the pace picks up dramatically about 100 pages in. After that it's a white-knuckle ride all the way as Sean Courtney almost singl
Naomi
Sean Courtney, a member of the fabulously wealthy Courtney family of South Africa is a professional hunter and veteran guerrilla fighter. His client for the hunt is Colonel Riccardo Monterro and his daughter, Claudia. Monterro is after the biggest elephant left in Africa and his daughter has come along to be with her father but hates the hunting of animals. The hunt becomes extremely dangerous and leads to armed conflict in a country ravaged by war. This is the last in the chronological series o ...more
Andy
An absorbing adventure story, but not always a comfortable read. A romance set against the background of Zimbabwe and Mocambique populated by some vile psychopathic characters.

This is not the Mocambique of Michener's "The Drifters", but a country torn apart by civil war. Interesting observations regarding the Nkomati accord and South Africa's support for the rebel movements.

Smith doesn't spare his readers the gory detail, which makes his writing difficult to like, but I certainly found this a w
Kwartas
one of the most epic journeys I've taken in a book...
Nix
Aparentemente para volar un Hercules solo hace falta mirar un rato como se manejan los controles.
Adam
love a wilbur smith from time to time. be warned, the man can paint africa as a savage and racist land mind.
Robert Colquhoun
Mike
Another rollicking good adventure tale set in Africa. I do enjoy his books as a palate cleanser. I have always loved how he mixed fiction with facts and stories of Africa. Many of his truths are not ones that the general population want to hear however the truth is in the state of the many ex colonies of Africa. I am not saying they were right, things needed to change however the current situation in many of them are worse than ever before.
Manuela
Anche se originale per trama ed intreccio, secondo me in questo romanzo Smith cade un po' per quanto riguarda il personaggio di Sean Courteney:per chi lo aveva conosciuto nei precedenti romanzi, quello delineato in questo romanzo non sembra Sean, è evidentemente troppo diverso dal punto di vista caratteriale per corrispondere allo Sean che ho conosciuto, anche se in questo caso il personaggio è migliorato.
Nandhini Sundararajan
A good read infact. I started reading Wilbur Smith on suggestion by a friend. But I found myself liking it a lot once I started with it. The plot and the characterization are interesting. Any Nature-Lover would appreciate Wilbur Smith. And specially the character Sean Courtney. If you like the woods, safaris and stuff like that, then this is definitely the book for you.
Angus Mcfarlane
An interesting portrait of Africa in the 1980s (I wonder how much has changed since) and the iconic South African (white) male. Having read reviews recently discussing how aid to Africa is detrimental to the countries it is targeted to help, it would be interesting to know how much of the perspective given in this book were around at the time.
Mic
A truly awful book. So badly written that Dan Brown would be proud of it. Not that his others were deathless prose, but this is atrocious pap.

Clearly in his dotage, Smith is living out his sadomasochistic fantasies in print. This is much like Robert Heinlein when he was losing his marbles yet still writing.

Avoid at all costs.
Dark-Draco
Like all Smith's books, this took me a while to get into, but once I read past all the hunting stuff, I was hooked. All these books are really good adventure stories and this was no exception - helicopter battles, forest fires, death and destruction - what could be better for curling up with?
Sandra
This is the second time I have read this book. I was happy to find it in the lending library at Bayu Cottages in Bali. A very good read, and it also was fairly accurate with a lot of African history. While just now treking thru the forests in Bali I kept myself going by pretending I was Claudia.
Liz Proulx
Now, I love all Wilbur Smith books...but this was not up to par with the over 5 Courtney books. I enjoyed learning more about Sean jr ...he was a violent kid who turned his life around as a safari guide. It sure took a strange twist half way through the book. I would recommend this book!!!
Jenna Mills
Haha! Basically agree with the review below. Always find Wilbur Smith books a little jarring to read since I don't subscribe to a lot of his beliefs, but some of the points he seems to imply (benefits of apartheid, hunting big game, colonialism etc) at least make me stop and think.
  • Tommo and Hawk (The Potato Factory, #2)
  • Tales of the North
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Kringe in 'n bos
  • High Citadel
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Empires of Sand
  • The Flaming Sword (Queen of Freedom, #3)
  • Pale Horse Coming (Earl Swagger, #2)
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Zero
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)