Start by marking “Time to Die” as Want to Read:
Time to Die

Time to Die (Courtney #7)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  3,337 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
As the world around him burns with passion and death, professional hunter and guerrilla fighter Sean Courtney is trapped between his worst enemies, an overwhelming love for a woman, and his instincts to survive -- and kill.
Published August 31st 1991 by Fawcett (first published 1989)

May 27, 2013 MarieAnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books I have ever read! It is adventurous yet not unrealistic. It has all the important moments written on the right pages. I just could not put it down and read it at home,
in the train (next to me sat the lady with exactly the same copy!), simply everywhere. I am a native European, but it made me want to explore Africa right away! I wanted to move there, wanted to live there and be an african. What? That is how good the book is!
The Cats Mother
This seemed a bit different to a lot of the other WS books I've read - yet it's set in Africa and involves a Courtenay, but the relentless violence, bloodlust and cruelty was pretty wearying, not to mention the sexism and attitudes to hunting which were probably considered acceptable in 1989 but now felt very distasteful."
Jakob Masic
I made it to page 150 but that's enough for me.
The story certainly was interesting but I felt as if the author was going into such unnessary details for prolonged periods of time. It just felt as if he was being paid by the page. Did not rate it for I feel I did not read enough to draw a true opinion.
Oct 24, 2012 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. I started out hating all the main characters but they grew on me by the end.

The Kindle version is full of typos, like they just scanned the actual book and didn't even proof read it. Still readable, but annoying.

I would have given 4 out of 5 with no typos.
আকাশ আব্দুল্লাহ
বইটার শুরুর পরায় শতাধিক পৃষঠা পরযনত শিকার কাহিনী। পরথমে ভেভেছিলাম বইটা সমিথের আর সব বই থেকে আলাদা,একটা জিম করবেট টাইপ শিকার কাহিনী হতে পারে।তবে শিকার কাহিনী যে খারাপ লাগছিলো তা না।ভালই লাগছিলো কাহিনী।

একশত পৃষঠার পর থেকেই বইয়ের কাহিনী মোড় নিতে থাকে।গলপের নায়ক শন কোরটনি যে একজন একস করনেল, ফরেলিমো আর রেনামো;এই দুই বাহিনীর মাঝখানে আফরিকার সহিংস যুদধে আটকা পড়ে যায়।তার সাথে অপরূপা কলডিয়া মনটেরো আর শনের বনধু জোব আর মাতাউ।কাহিনী এগিয়ে যায়। শন বাধয হয় রেনামোদের হয়ে গেরিলা অপারেশনে কমানড দিতে।নইলে কলডিয়াক
Mar 10, 2014 Pablos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Jest całkiem możliwe, że doświadczam właśnie książkowego kaca. Konkretnie poświęconego prozie Wilbura Smitha. Od kilku ostatnich książek mówiłem sobie, że teraz czas na przerwę, na coś innego. Mimo to zaraz po ukończeniu lektury sięgam po kolejną pozycję tego twórcy, Wilbur Smith jest bowiem bardzo utalentowany jeśli chodzi o zakończenia swoich powieści. Nawet jeśli całość bywała monotonna, to końcówka zazwyczaj robi sporo zamieszania i czytelnik po prostu odczuwa mus poznania dalszej historii w ...more
Oct 22, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things to expect from a Wilbur Smith book:

1. Constant chaos and adventure
2. A particularly macho main character
3. Death of a father-figure within the first third of the book
4. Deaths of most of the hero's friends, while he miraculously scrapes through every possible situation through sheer awesome man-i-ness
5. Weird female characters.

What struck me as I was reading A Time to Die was that WS seemed to be trying to write a 'strong female character' at the start of the book, but actually she just c
Diana Oliveira
Feb 09, 2016 Diana Oliveira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What i like most about Wilbur Smith as a writer is the power he possesses to bring to life Africa: its air, animals, mountains people. Not only that, but Wilbur is able to bring both the beauty and the brutality of Africa in such an engaging way that the reader feels like part of the war and death going on.

This book in particular i thought really really good, a little bit corny in the love scenes for my taste, but humanity tends to be corny so there's that ;).

I consider this both above the other
Biggy Marshall
Oct 05, 2016 Biggy Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilbur Smith, the masculine version of Barbara Cartland! Intelligent and beautiful female, and strong and handsome male meet; detest each other and fight all the time; then start to respect each other; end up in the sack together; and live happily ever after. So far my intro line is true, right?
But it is no quite true.
Ms Cartland sets her stories in a fluffy-pink fairy tale environment. Wilbur Smith weaves the story into the wild and beautiful African landscape and its exotic flora and fauna,
Queen of Shadows *damon salvatores lover*
so much suspense, sex-appeal and adventure...the story of a simple hunt is turned into so much more
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 Natasa Tovornik rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
not one of my favourites by smith.
Feb 03, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In what has been labelled the seventh Courtney novel, but which sits more accurately as eighth in the chronological progress of the series, Smith depicts a tale that offers the reader an in-depth glance into the life of Sean Courtney, son of Shasa and Tara. Set around 1987, Sean is a veteran of the Rhodesian Bush Wars and has become a full-time hunter with his safari company in Zimbabwe. Coaxed by his clients to follow a legendary elephant across the border into Mozambique, Sean leads them on a ...more
Feb 15, 2015 Exiled_Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if you aren’t an adventure genre fan (and I’m not), Wilbur Smith can always be counted on to generate fast-paced action-packed contextually-accurate adventure romps. He writes knowledgeably and candidly about Africa for whom he’s a champion advocate, weaving his fabricated plots around appreciably well-researched fact.

A Time to Die follows Sean, commercial big game hunter and tough ex-army beefcake who agrees to take his wealthy client and proud activist daughter beyond the game park and a
Serban Georgiana
Mar 18, 2014 Serban Georgiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Ador aceasta serie ,si-mi place nespus de mult felul in care scrie Wilbur Smith.Aceasta serie este fabuloasa.
Inca de la primul volum al seriei pur si simplu nu te poti abtine si te indragostesi iremediabil de Africa.Cred ca nici un alt autor nu a zugravit-o mai bine asa caum a reusit Smith.Felul in care a reusit sa plaseze personajele familiei Courtney si cum a impletit destinul familiei in istoria Africii ,este minunat.
Nu poti ramane pasiv atunci cand citesti aceasta serie,mi-au placut enorm
Eva Hunter
Wow, I just finished reading the book...and am filled with the feeling "I'm glad we made it through".
I read this book, because it got picked at the book club and am not sure if I would have read it on my own account.
Nonetheless, I'm glad I read experience the richer.

I like how the book starts of as a safari trip and turns into this life and death experience. It was an interesting move of the author to even describe the story through the eyes of the animals at times, so the reader gets a
Dec 17, 2012 Werehare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Questo libro detiene il record di contenere il punto più basso toccato in tutti i romanzi che finora ho letto di Wilbur Smith - e non è che gli altri mi siano piaciuti: ma quando mi sono trovata a leggere di una fanciulla che, in pieno territorio di guerra razziale, appena fuggita dalla prigionia, aggrappata alle fronde di un albero abbattuto in balia della corrente nel mezzo di un fiume pullulante di coccodrilli affamati, disarmata e inseguita da nemici armati fino ai denti, propone all'u
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction
Smith continues this series focussing on Sean Courtney. He is a safari leader of a rich American and his liberal daughter. Old enemies resurface, action and hunting scenes are very well done. If he would just stop trying to write romantic dialogue!! Would be a good movie with all the action, the blowing up stuff and the larger than life characters.
Canadian reference - Sean's office manager is engaged to a man in Toronto.
I used to gobble up Wilbur Smith's books, but haven't read one for a LONG time. So chose this older one I hadn't read. I think as I've gotten older, I'm more affected by all the violence in his books and killing of animals, but that was a good action-adventure. There are a few romantic encounters that reek of bad Harlequin romance, thank goodness they are few!!

A father & adult daughter are on a hunting safari (1980's) led by Sean Courtney and close African friends from their days
Aug 22, 2012 Eoghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This is quite a departure from the rest of the 'Courtneys of Africa' series with its focus being primarily on Sean Courtney. So instead of continent-hopping intrigue and family vendettas it's a plain and simple adventure confined to the jungles of Zimbabwe and Mozambique in the late 1980s.

While it starts off at an interminably slow pace it's worth sticking with it and the pace picks up dramatically about 100 pages in. After that it's a white-knuckle ride all the way as Sean Courtney almost singl
Nov 17, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Smith does not disappoint, although, on caveat, this one seemed to be a little more "heroish" than his other books. By that, I mean, to keep the main characters alive, the plot stretched credulity.
But, Smith's stories are so captivating that I'll forgive him anything he wants to write.

Love this series.
Tracey Kefford
Mar 19, 2016 Tracey Kefford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting not to like this and thought it would not hold my attention, but again I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Found this story totally different to his other books in the series as they span a few decades and have quite s few characters but this is about one event and a handful of people. Still gripping right to the last page.
Rick Parker
Mar 14, 2016 Rick Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author used the fictional story of a safari and a local war as the vehicle for describing culture and conflict in the southern part of Africa in the late 20th century. An excellent read that was both credible and interesting. The pace never flagged.
Aug 03, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean Courtney, a member of the fabulously wealthy Courtney family of South Africa is a professional hunter and veteran guerrilla fighter. His client for the hunt is Colonel Riccardo Monterro and his daughter, Claudia. Monterro is after the biggest elephant left in Africa and his daughter has come along to be with her father but hates the hunting of animals. The hunt becomes extremely dangerous and leads to armed conflict in a country ravaged by war. This is the last in the chronological series o ...more
Aug 15, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just the kind of adventure novel I've been looking for some time. Africa is a mysterious and divided continent and native Smith offers a vivid description of her political and social turmoil.
Jul 06, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Wilbur Smith book, really enjoyed it, will have to read some more if his books now!
Jan 03, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An absorbing adventure story, but not always a comfortable read. A romance set against the background of Zimbabwe and Mocambique populated by some vile psychopathic characters.

This is not the Mocambique of Michener's "The Drifters", but a country torn apart by civil war. Interesting observations regarding the Nkomati accord and South Africa's support for the rebel movements.

Smith doesn't spare his readers the gory detail, which makes his writing difficult to like, but I certainly found this a w
Feb 04, 2016 Homer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventure story, Sean is caught up in the Civil War of Angola.
Kwartas Krause
Nov 02, 2014 Kwartas Krause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the most epic journeys I've taken in a book...
Sherrida McKnight
The ending is quite predictable, but there is lots of excitement along the way!
May 24, 2014 Nix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aparentemente para volar un Hercules solo hace falta mirar un rato como se manejan los controles.
  • Whitethorn
  • Tales of the North
  • The Sheltering Desert
  • Moerbeibos
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Imaginings of Sand
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • The Zero Hour
  • Fortunate
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #1-5)
  • Maralinga
  • Black Heart
  • The Freedom Trap
  • A Durable Fire
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

Courtney (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1)
  • Sound of Thunder (Courtney #2)
  • A Sparrow Falls (Courtney #3)
  • The Burning Shore (Courtney #4)
  • Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)
  • Rage (Courtney #6)
  • Golden Fox
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • Monsoon (Courtney #10)
  • Blue Horizon  (Courtney #11)