Start by marking “Bearwalker” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
As a member of the Mohawk Bear Clan, Baron has always been fascinated by bears--their gentle strength and untamed power. But the Bearwalker legend, passed down by his ancestors, tells of a different kind of creature--a terrible mix of human and animal that looks like a bear but is really a bloodthirsty monster. The tale never seemed to be more than a scary story. Until now ...more
Published February 17th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2007)

Noel Thompson
Sep 11, 2015 Noel Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book.It was interesting because when they arrived at the camp and baron saw the big man that creeped him out,he turned out to be the bear walker.He had heard about the bearwalker at the camp and thought it was a myth,but when the creepy man blew up the tnt shed and blocked the road out,he started to get suspicious.Then One night he realisez that the bearwalker is real and that most of the camp staff are helping the him,but only to make money.After baron is trapped in the room ...more
Billy
Billy clark
Ms minnier
10-11-10
1st

By: Joseph Bruchac
The story takes place at camp Chuckamuck, a camp that baron and his class go on for a field trip. It’s a mountainous area that’s very secluded. Its on a deep omnious lake with plenty of wildlife. In the story baron who is the main character , is a small little boy who is picked on very much. He is much smaller than all the other kids which makes him the end of everyones jokes. His teacher Mr. wilbur tells baron about how the class fiel
Nono Qiu
Oct 27, 2012 Nono Qiu is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read about BearWalker, it was written by Joseph Bruchac. It is about some people turns half to a bear and attacked people. My favorite part is when one of the teacher in the story read about Jason Jones, he is a monster, half a bear half a person. People make fun of him. So once he get really mad, and kill a lot of people and run away. After he is dead, his ghost attacking people again. That is my favorite part. Author is writing this book is because he want to show people how close is an ind ...more
Dylan Heitkamp
Oct 15, 2015 Dylan Heitkamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a five star rating. I give it this rating because it is suspenceful and you are not sure of what will happen next. I recommend this book to people that like books that make u feel that it could really happen to you. This book is about a boy named Baron. He goes on a field trip and gets stuck there and has to escape while someone chases them.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I enjoyed this novel by Bruchac, partly because I liked the Mohawk protagonist and partly because it was set in the Adirondacks, near where I live. I found the information on bear behavior interesting--it made me want to read more. I read somewhere recently a conversation on a listserv complaining about the lack of modern technological devices being depicted in children's literature (mostly picture books). I'm happy to say this one included cell phones as central to the plot, although one of the ...more
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baron may be the smallest boy in his class, but his strong values and quick wits help him face extreme challenges in this contemporary Adirondack adventure story. Well-paced with a likeable protagonist and just the right amount of suspense.
Logan Braden
Jan 05, 2010 Logan Braden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a member of the Mohawk Bear Clan, Baron has always been fascinated by bears—their gentle strength and untamed power. But the Bearwalker legend, passed down by his ancestors, tells of a different kind of creature—a terrible mix of human and animal that looks like a bear but is really a bloodthirsty monster. The tale never seemed to be more than a scary story. Until now.
During a class camping trip deep in the Adirondacks, Baron comes face-to-face with an evil being that is all too real. Alth
S. Willett
Mar 24, 2014 S. Willett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eighth grader, Baron, is a Mohawk and the shortest kid in class. Some of the bigger guys are knocking him around but he has bigger problems. His dad is missing in action in Afghanistan and mom, also in the service, is being shipped out.
His class is taking a trip to Camp Chuckamuck in the Adirondacks for almost a week. Once there he faces not only his fear of the ancient legend of the bearwalker, part man part bear, but many other fears become reality.
This book is full of action but you will
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: The legend of the bear walker was interesting, and I liked how the whole book was centered on that. I liked the sarcastic humor that Baron had, and there definitely was plenty of action. I would recommend this for readers in their early teens.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Elaine
Mar 28, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read for middle school readers; about a sensitive Native American boy.
Rishi D
Sep 26, 2012 Rishi D rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book Bearwalker is a pretty good book overall but i would rate it four stars. The book Bearwalker is about a boy named Baron who is very fond of bears. He likes their gentle strength and untamed power. Baron gets bullied in the book a few times and has a teacher that takes one of his items. Baron really wants a bear claw but he doesn't want to kill a real bear so he finds a solution. There is a legend that got passed down by Barons ancestors about a big bear/human monster. Later Baron comes ...more
Jenna
Apr 02, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for my Literature for Young Readers class. The suspense comes and goes quickly, and there's a huge buildup throughout the entire novel that isn't as intense as I had hoped it would be in the end. That being said, there are a couple good moral lessons for young readers in regard to bullies and coming into your own. It also relates well to Native American oral tradition and presents an interesting struggle for Baron with his native heritage.
Miriam
Nov 26, 2008 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as good as Skeleton Man, but it was a good scary story and I'll definitely recommend it to kids looking for those. One night while I was reading it, I found myself too scared to open the door to my apartment to go outside. Ridiculous though I knew I was, I made Edmundo come stand with me while I opened the door. The Adirondack setting also made me nostalgic for the trips my family took to Friends Lake in the Adirondacks when I was little.
Tweller83
May 20, 2010 Tweller83 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baron, a little 8th grader is picked on by his classmates until they go to Camp Chuckamuck and are trapped by what appears to be a Bearwalker (part Bear part human) who is out to kill them all. Not as scary as Zindel or Shan but still good. Recommend to any middle school student.
Dylan
In the book bear walker the plot is horably predictable he basicly tells you what he is going to do but the characters were defenly better then the plot and it tells you who the bear walker is so ther is no surprise when he is attacked but all and all it was a good book
Meghan Hunt
Pam Heiser
Nov 06, 2012 Pam Heiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruchac came through with his usual adventurous spirit and his ability to put the teenage protagonist in charge. There is also a strong message for students who are bullied. Students who liked Touching Spirit Bear should like this one.
Kj
May 26, 2010 Kj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was an enjoyable read. Will probably appeal to boys in the middle grades. The awkward, semi-outcast boy becomes the hero in this adventure mystery. It reminded me of The White Gates.
I wish there had been more in-depth examination of the relationships amongst the students, but it was a children's book. I did like the story. Saving it for Fisher's eighth grade year.
Jacqueline
Jul 08, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action. Good voice with vivid descriptions. Scary but not too scary. Definitely one to have on the shelf to recommend to reluctant male readers.
Terry
More like a 3.5. Fast moving plot with lots of suspense. Terrible cover in my opinion though. Give to reluctant boy readers.
Heather
Not as scary or as entertaining as Skeleton Man, but still a good horror story based on Mohawk legend.
Sean Kunz
it was really bad.All it talks about is bears bear this bear that.
Eric W
Aug 12, 2009 Eric W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bone-chilling adventure
Harman
Jul 01, 2012 Harman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jasjeet
I thik it waz awsome homme
Donna
Nov 08, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable book, another hit for Joseph Bruchac. Bearwalker is a Georgia Book Award nominee sure to appeal to a wide audience. Bruchac blends Native American culture with modern-day horror story to create a page-turner. This is a good one for the reluctant readers out there.
Phillip
Evan
Apr 10, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gr8 book
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Emily's Fortune
  • The Legend of Bass Reeves
  • Billy Creekmore
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • Wildfire Run
  • Spy Cat
  • The Fox in the Dark
  • Wild Girl
  • Cheyenne Again
  • The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes
  • The Christmas Coat: Memories of My Sioux Childhood
  • The Unbreakable Code
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...

“Like most of those who seek to harm the weak, he’s a coward at heart.” 0 likes
“Perhaps this creature had once been a human, but his lust for power had been so great that he had done the things needed to transform him into a monster bear.” 0 likes