Start by marking “Bearwalker” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  25 reviews
As a member of the Mohawk Bear Clan, Baron has always been fascinated by bears--their gentle strength and untamed power. But the Bearwalker legend, passed down by his ancestors, tells of a different kind of creature--a terrible mix of human and animal that looks like a bear but is really a bloodthirsty monster. The tale never seemed to be more than a scary story. Until now ...more
Published February 17th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bearwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bearwalker

Billy
Billy clark
Ms minnier
10-11-10
1st

By: Joseph Bruchac
The story takes place at camp Chuckamuck, a camp that baron and his class go on for a field trip. It’s a mountainous area that’s very secluded. Its on a deep omnious lake with plenty of wildlife. In the story baron who is the main character , is a small little boy who is picked on very much. He is much smaller than all the other kids which makes him the end of everyones jokes. His teacher Mr. wilbur tells baron about how the class fiel
Nono Qiu
Oct 27, 2012 Nono Qiu is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read about BearWalker, it was written by Joseph Bruchac. It is about some people turns half to a bear and attacked people. My favorite part is when one of the teacher in the story read about Jason Jones, he is a monster, half a bear half a person. People make fun of him. So once he get really mad, and kill a lot of people and run away. After he is dead, his ghost attacking people again. That is my favorite part. Author is writing this book is because he want to show people how close is an ind ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I enjoyed this novel by Bruchac, partly because I liked the Mohawk protagonist and partly because it was set in the Adirondacks, near where I live. I found the information on bear behavior interesting--it made me want to read more. I read somewhere recently a conversation on a listserv complaining about the lack of modern technological devices being depicted in children's literature (mostly picture books). I'm happy to say this one included cell phones as central to the plot, although one of the ...more
Logan Braden
As a member of the Mohawk Bear Clan, Baron has always been fascinated by bears—their gentle strength and untamed power. But the Bearwalker legend, passed down by his ancestors, tells of a different kind of creature—a terrible mix of human and animal that looks like a bear but is really a bloodthirsty monster. The tale never seemed to be more than a scary story. Until now.
During a class camping trip deep in the Adirondacks, Baron comes face-to-face with an evil being that is all too real. Alth
S. Willett
Eighth grader, Baron, is a Mohawk and the shortest kid in class. Some of the bigger guys are knocking him around but he has bigger problems. His dad is missing in action in Afghanistan and mom, also in the service, is being shipped out.
His class is taking a trip to Camp Chuckamuck in the Adirondacks for almost a week. Once there he faces not only his fear of the ancient legend of the bearwalker, part man part bear, but many other fears become reality.
This book is full of action but you will
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: The legend of the bear walker was interesting, and I liked how the whole book was centered on that. I liked the sarcastic humor that Baron had, and there definitely was plenty of action. I would recommend this for readers in their early teens.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Elaine
An easy read for middle school readers; about a sensitive Native American boy.
Rishi D
The book Bearwalker is a pretty good book overall but i would rate it four stars. The book Bearwalker is about a boy named Baron who is very fond of bears. He likes their gentle strength and untamed power. Baron gets bullied in the book a few times and has a teacher that takes one of his items. Baron really wants a bear claw but he doesn't want to kill a real bear so he finds a solution. There is a legend that got passed down by Barons ancestors about a big bear/human monster. Later Baron comes ...more
Jenna
I read this book for my Literature for Young Readers class. The suspense comes and goes quickly, and there's a huge buildup throughout the entire novel that isn't as intense as I had hoped it would be in the end. That being said, there are a couple good moral lessons for young readers in regard to bullies and coming into your own. It also relates well to Native American oral tradition and presents an interesting struggle for Baron with his native heritage.
Miriam
This was not as good as Skeleton Man, but it was a good scary story and I'll definitely recommend it to kids looking for those. One night while I was reading it, I found myself too scared to open the door to my apartment to go outside. Ridiculous though I knew I was, I made Edmundo come stand with me while I opened the door. The Adirondack setting also made me nostalgic for the trips my family took to Friends Lake in the Adirondacks when I was little.
Tweller83
Baron, a little 8th grader is picked on by his classmates until they go to Camp Chuckamuck and are trapped by what appears to be a Bearwalker (part Bear part human) who is out to kill them all. Not as scary as Zindel or Shan but still good. Recommend to any middle school student.
Dylan
In the book bear walker the plot is horably predictable he basicly tells you what he is going to do but the characters were defenly better then the plot and it tells you who the bear walker is so ther is no surprise when he is attacked but all and all it was a good book
Meghan Hunt
Pam Heiser
Bruchac came through with his usual adventurous spirit and his ability to put the teenage protagonist in charge. There is also a strong message for students who are bullied. Students who liked Touching Spirit Bear should like this one.
Kj
Thought this was an enjoyable read. Will probably appeal to boys in the middle grades. The awkward, semi-outcast boy becomes the hero in this adventure mystery. It reminded me of The White Gates.
I wish there had been more in-depth examination of the relationships amongst the students, but it was a children's book. I did like the story. Saving it for Fisher's eighth grade year.
Jacqueline
Lots of action. Good voice with vivid descriptions. Scary but not too scary. Definitely one to have on the shelf to recommend to reluctant male readers.
Terry
More like a 3.5. Fast moving plot with lots of suspense. Terrible cover in my opinion though. Give to reluctant boy readers.
Heather
Not as scary or as entertaining as Skeleton Man, but still a good horror story based on Mohawk legend.
Sean Kunz
it was really bad.All it talks about is bears bear this bear that.
Eric W
a bone-chilling adventure
Harman
I thik it waz awsome homme
Donna
This is a very enjoyable book, another hit for Joseph Bruchac. Bearwalker is a Georgia Book Award nominee sure to appeal to a wide audience. Bruchac blends Native American culture with modern-day horror story to create a page-turner. This is a good one for the reluctant readers out there.
PWRL
Mar 14, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Tuan Le
Tuan Le marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Randomgirl
Randomgirl marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • The Dragon's Child
  • Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • The Legend of Bass Reeves
  • The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes
  • Camel Rider
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two Skeleton Man Dragon Castle Wolf Mark Sacajawea