Start by marking “Master of Dragons” as Want to Read:
Master of Dragons

Master of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In Mistress of Dragons we were introduced to a world where political deception, greed, and avarice have lead to a violation of the "hands off" policy of the Parliament of Dragons concerning the affairs of men.

In The Dragon's Son twins born out of violence and raised apart discover the secrets of their legacy and the plot to incite a war between dragons and men.

Now as the e
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Master of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of Dragons

Mar 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: furries possibly?
The Dragonvarld Trilogy
I'm sure this is someone's fetish.

Before I get into talking about the story itself, I just want to say that this book has one of the more nonsensical covers I've seen for a fantasy novel. I get that slapping a dragon on a cover is a real marketing technique for this genre (and I have read books based on how cool the dragon looked, like Dragonsbane and Dragon Wing) but it's still really funny to have this large, looming dragon just kind of...stand there and wait while a ti
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Master of Dragons, the final book in Margaret Weis's Dragonvarld trilogy was a tasty but sloppy finale -- like a cheesecake that didn't quite set.

This last book wraps things up, as we knew it would, and everything is finally well in the world, as we knew it would be. There are some fine moments (Draconas showing tenderness to a female dragon, Ven finds a family, Marcus falls in love) and even some hilarious ones (Draconas darning socks, Evelina's
Emily Williams
I was hoping that I would be able to give this book 4 stars instead of 5 so that it wouldn't look like I'm mindlessly fangirling about the series. However, any flaws in this iteration of the series (and indeed, the series as a whole) are largely outweighed by all the parts that shine flawlessly.

One thing I particularly enjoyed in this book is that Weis doesn't hold the hand of her reader- at several points there are cases of mistaken identity, and while it is easy to glean from context clues wh
This book wrapped up the Dragonvarld trilogy quite nicely. I have to agree with the others that the cover doesn't match any of the events in the story. I would say that the guy is Leopold fighting Sorrow and the dragon is Draconas. Nearly all the threads in this story was tied up nicely. I enjoyed most of the characters in this one and it was nice that Ven found a family. The character of Evelina was more likable in this one, but I thought her fate was too harsh. The character must have been the ...more
Dec 09, 2011 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Josh by: 1
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I didn't go in expecting much so I guess I couldn't have been too disappointed. I was glad that most characters were actually able to pull their heads out and start realizing what was going on (view spoiler)
I very much enjoyed the conclusion of Evelinas fate at first but really wish Weis would have done more (view spoiler)
Dragon's sons have found each other and now have to deal with the mess their father as caused. In their own way they work to make their world a safe place to live. This is high adventure to the max, with magic, dragons and mystery. This has more twist and turns then a snakes belly.
Oct 29, 2014 Magister marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Every time it felt like story would end it got a new spin. But the spin was not a good one, it did not felt organic at all.
I was bored. The story went on too long. Nothing amazing was introduced in the third book and conflict resolution wasn't exciting. There was resolution but I see no reason why it needed to be spread out among three books. I would not recommend the trilogy to anyone.

I can't figure out the cover either. Doesn't match the story. I see Draconas & Sorrow I believe. Who is the male & what is Sorrow doing? I don't remember her doing anything like that in the book.
I thought the plot of the entire trilogy was very interesting however, I do not think it should be a trilogy. This would have been much better if it would have just been two books. The third book was extremely slow. It felt like she was dragging it out just to make it a third book. Also, the ending of this book was terrible. I didnt care what happened to the stupid girl. I was more concerned about the actual main characters.
Angelica Taggart
I'm sort of sad to see this series end. What happens to Marcus and Ven as they grow older?

Wies kept my interest through out this whole series. For me it was a new world, and new kinds of characters, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Going to have to some of her other books.
While I greatly enjoyed this book, there were moments in here in which I had to cringe. It seemed all too contrived (particularly with the role Anora played) and it also wrapped up far too quickly.

I feel like this would have worked rather well as part of a larger book or, indeed, continued with another trilogy, because a few things were left undone.

Overall, though, I loved the series.
Bob Wind
This was a really weak ending to the trilogy. *Spoiler* What was with following the girl to the monastery at the end? I would much rather have read about the wedding. The ending was so abrupt that I finished the book and went to the library to get the next book in the series. I love Margaret Weis, and the writing in this book was good, but it really left me wanting.
LeBoldus Librarian
Overall, I found this series to be an entertaining diversion, but I did not find it as engaging as other trilogies that I have read. Although the world is well conceptualized, I found the characters to be quite predictable. Evelina, in particular, did not resonate much with me.
Todd Lake
Great finale to a really good trilogy.
A.B. Shepherd
I read book one of the series, but skipped book two. This is book three. I don't feel like I missed anything by skipping book two. This book has lots of action, a little romance and a satisfying conclusion.
Scott Block
Like her Dragonlance books, I could read them forever! I wish this tale kept going as well. I place it as my number three most favorite trilogy, behind The Lord of the Rings and The IronTower.
Don't think Evelina should have lived. She was such a terrible character, the nuns should not have to live with her. Would have made more sense if her sniveling got her killed.
An exciting conclusion to a dull lead in. The characters were able to finally get a grasp on what was going on and bring this story to glorious ending.
Sasha Strader
Wow, what a stunner. After two good first books, Weis just dropped the ball on this one. It was a dull read up until the last 25 pages or so.
Ben Eiynk
I didn't realize this was the third book in a series... the pages and pages of tiresome exposition to get me caught up is rather off-putting.
This is the last book of the Dragonvard trilogy. The first volume was quite interesting, but the following two volumes have been quite disappointing.
Jade Lauron
Even though we are perfectly aware that this book/trilogy will end with the traditional happy ending, it still manages to be brilliant.
It was OK for what it was--what I call "fluff" reading. I enjoyed the trilogy; I like on-going sagas!
The characters realistically bumble around and try their best. The series is average at best.
CJ Gosling
A satisfying finish to a romping trilogy. I really enjoyed Margaret Weis' take on classic fantasy.
A great ending! I loved this trilogy.
Ronald Marcil
The Dragonvarld Trilogy #3
a good capstone to the series
  • Mystic Quest (The Bronze Canticles, #2)
  • An Armory of Swords
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • The Duke's Ballad
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Volume III
  • Conjuring Destiny (Brides of Prophecy #3)
  • Knighthood of the Dragon (DragonMaster, #2)
  • Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)
  • Korkak ve Canavar (Perg Efsaneleri, #1)
  • The Sea Change (The Chronicles of Josan, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

The Dragonvarld Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)