Start by marking “Bastard's Grace” as Want to Read:
Bastard's Grace
read excerpt

Bastard's Grace

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A virus spreads across Aspermonde, transforming women into beautiful creatures called Mosaics and stealing their minds, souls, and voices. Mosaics are alien, eerie...and collectable. Simon collects Mosaics for the king but his latest acquisition, Augusta, hasn't yet lost her mind and willpower. Maybe it's a miracle. Or maybe it's just a sackful of trouble for Simon and his...more
Published February 22nd 2010 by Winterbourne Publishing (first published January 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bastard's Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bastard's Grace

Francine
I am excitedly waiting for this book as I have been one of the lucky few to win a copy from GoodReads and Wendy Palmer!!!
This was a fairly quick read and quite a lot of fun if you take it that way. Or you could be a FEMINIST and take it as a book that represents the oppression of women by men in a future society or parallel universe. I, however, just thought it was a fun read.
Ms. Palmer has amusingly changed regular English words into a different language that quickly becomes understandable but...more
Sandra
This was a free read graciously forwarded by the author/publisher.

Bastard's Grace is set in an imaginery, well thought out, post apocalyptic world. A weird virus spreads across the world infecting some women into what are called Mosaics, cause they are transformed into swirling weird colours. They eventually lose their minds, souls and voices.

The King likes to collect the best of them and to that end troops search throughout his kingdom for them.

The leader of his best troop of soldiers is Lieute...more
Jane
The worldbuilding is this debut novel is amazing. Wendy Palmer creates an original and believable world for her romantic fantasy tale that is nothing short of stunning. I have re-read this many times and just wish she had another novel available! I like a bit of romance with my speculative fiction, and Palmer keeps a lovely balance of story, flashback and romance.
Adele
First I want to thank Wendy for this oppertunity to read this book as a first reads.
Now to my review. I found i had developed a love hate relationship with the characters it this book. Fist you have Augusta, who deliberately infects herself with the virus that creates these mindless creatures/ former human women. this as infection in augusta didn't really stick and she gained mosaic like qualities she kept alot of her human ones as well but to go into the that further i'd have to put a spoiler a...more
Anneque Malchien
Bastard's Grace strongest point is its moral: that we can never really know how others see us, no matter how well we know them, and how we see ourselves is totally different to what's seen by others.

The story is described as "noir" fantasy, and it certainly fits the bill. It is perhaps even closer to noir than fantasy. Aspermonde could be Victorian Ireland, with its many valley towns and farmers aspiring to the cliff-side corniche, which in turn look up to Skysend on its high plateau. The Mosaic...more
Lakaisha Williams
i was one of the lucky ones to win a free copy of the book from the author through Goodreads First Reads and i couldnt wait to read it when i first got it.

I liked the plot of the story and must admit that it is not like the ones i usually read.

The use of mosaics in the story and how they can be sold and a sign of how wealthy a family is to own one and how the whole story line is happening during a time of war.

i hope that Wendy will write another book just as good this one.
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Courtbey
Courtbey is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2014
Chanelle
Chanelle is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2014
Mark Overton
Mark Overton is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2014
Shar
Shar added it
Dec 18, 2013
Bev Dammann-hofmeister
Bev Dammann-hofmeister is currently reading it
May 01, 2013
Gonsalves
Gonsalves marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Ss
Ss marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Sharon Shamini
Sharon Shamini is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2013
Carole Balkcom
Carole Balkcom is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2013
Masha
Masha marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Joyce Nievera
Joyce Nievera marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Emokid
Emokid is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2012
Sunshineamthauer
Sunshineamthauer is currently reading it
Dec 06, 2012
Eve Peets
Eve Peets is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2012
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Ennaira
Ennaira marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Brenda Lowrie
Brenda Lowrie is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2012
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wendy Palmer was born in Perth, Western Australia, but currently lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She’s patted tigers, ridden elephants, dog-sledded across glaciers, faced down lions in the Serengeti, swum with whale sharks, and camped in the Sahara, but she secretly prefers curling up with a good book.

Her first novel, After the Dragon, features thieves, kings, and elves, though the dragon of the...more
More about Wendy Palmer...
The Frog Prince's Daughters Leadership Embodiment: How the Way We Sit and Stand Can Change the Way We Think and Speak After the Dragon The Practice of Freedom: Aikido Principles as a Spiritual Guide The Intuitive Body: Discovering the Wisdom of Conscious Embodiment and Aikido