Start by marking “Delta Girls” as Want to Read:
Delta Girls

Delta Girls

The disparate lives of two women—a single mother working hard to make ends meet and a young figure skater at the top of her game—entwine in an unforgettable novel of warmth, depth, and wisdom.

Izzy and her daughter, Quinn, have been on the move for all of Quinn’s nine years. Izzy works the fields as a fruit picker, following the produce north and south through the growing
Published June 22nd 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Delta Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delta Girls

Laura Often
Aug 03, 2010 Laura Often rated it it was ok
Eh - I liked Izzy's story way more than Karen's story - thought it was a waste of time and didn't enjoy that part of the book at all. I didn want to learn more about Izzy and Quinn and Abcde - felt like a lot of parts were left out.
Paula
Aug 07, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
I would have like to have given this book 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it, it was a good story and quick read.
Sophie
Jan 26, 2017 Sophie rated it liked it
Didn't predict the twist, which was a nice change. Fairly quick read, but not particularly enthralling.
Mary Deal
Jun 15, 2015 Mary Deal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: River Delta devotees
Recommended to Mary by: The Author on FaceBook

Authentic Delta Life and A Single Mom Coping the Best She Can

Delta Girls, A Novel, by Gayle Brandeis, was for me a walk back in time. I grew up in the Sacramento Delta. However, being the daughter of a well respected Foreman of a big farming conglomerate, I was not allowed to mingle with the laborers. Still, stories from among the workers made their way into our home. Brandeis addresses the harsh reality of the laborers and squarely hits it when she develops the part of the story where Izzy’s ch
Rebecca
Apr 19, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
After a bunch of autobios, as well as random novels, I hadn't read a "real" fiction novel in a while and this one was pretty good! It intertwined two peoples lives and for most of the story, you are like, how are these even going to come together, they are so different? It wasn't until like halfway through that I figured it out and of course, it all wrapped up at the end. Since I kind of enjoyed this book, I am not going to mention the "twist", but let me know if you want to know.

Story one is ab
Rosemarie
Apr 20, 2012 Rosemarie rated it liked it
Brandeis provides background and local color that draws in the reader with its rich detail, while her characters are drawn with clean,spare strokes. The contrast between the two adds weight to the actions the characters take. Actions are spare, in contrast to their rich surroundings, yet they are emphasized by the clarity of the presentation. Brandeis switches between scenes in the present set in the Delta country of California that take place on a pear farm where a migrant picker and her nine y ...more
Lisa
Feb 09, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Wonderful wording and beautiful phrasing, but the two main characters just didn't jump off the page for me. (I'll try to phrase this without ruining the ending for anyone.) I like strong female leads, but these two just didn't seem to have the gumption to do what they were doing/did. And I certainly don't think that Karen's "solution" in her final chapter would have fooled anyone, especially not any decent law enforcement officer who would have known to follow the money trail. I did enjoy Abcde, ...more
Carmen
Dec 20, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Delta Girls is told in the alternating voices of Izzy and Karen. Izzy, nomadic seasonal fruit-picker arrives in the California Delta with her daughter in tow while Karen is an up-and-coming pairs figure skater. I picked up the novel for a couple of reasons. I am both familiar with the locale, being not too far from where I went to college and I also know a thing or two about figure skating. Izzy and Karen's stories converge in a twist, but most likely the reader will see it coming. I found the t ...more
Roberta
Aug 08, 2014 Roberta rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Izzy and Quinn are on the run, leading a simple life following the crops, moving from place to place as migrant workers, temporarily settled in the Sacramento Delta picking pears. Karen and Nathan lead public lives, in the national spotlight as champion figure skaters, ever striving to become better and gain more recognition in their sport. The doubled storyline is a little confusing at first,
but eventually it becomes clear that the two stories are intertwined.

The whole time that I was reading
Dominique
Apr 30, 2011 Dominique rated it liked it
First up, it's not the fault of this book that every time I saw the cover, the lyrics of "Delta Dawn" would run through my head. But since that's what happened, I secretly hold it against this book. Plus I figured out what the book was about in about four chapters and then I was not so secretly bored. I mean, it was interesting enough (what's that flower you've got on?), but I'm not the queen of figuring out foreshadowing, so when I can figure it out (could it be a faded rose from days gone by?) ...more
Mel
Nov 11, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok
Each chapter alternates between the story of two women. One is a mother with a 9y/o daughter she homeschools as they live a nomadic life as a farm picker. The other is about a 17/18 y/o ice-skater whose life is controlled by her mother and then her crazy pair partner.
The characters seemed immature to me. The topography was interesting - the Delta in California. I wouldn't say the book was a waste of time, but I admit to skimming over parts to get to more substance and hurry the book along. I wa
Christine
Feb 22, 2011 Christine rated it it was ok
The story of Karen and Nathan started out very good, but once the story reached her 18th birthday, it went down hill from there. Nathan changed, and Karen went along with it, never saying anything. It seemed the author was trying to create a male Tonya Harding, but crazier, and she succeeded. It was a bit too much. The way the plot unfolded was certainly unexpected, but again, it was too far out there. The way their story ends just plain sucked. I wish the story could have ended as well as it ha ...more
Mar 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Sarah
This novel is told in alternating chapters about two different characters - Izzy, a single mom who basically works as a migrant fruit picker, ending up on a pear farm in a river vally in California, and Karen, a teenage ice skater with an overbearing show mom and a pairs partner she swoons for but is a creep. I find Izzy's story much more interesting than Karen's, and I figured out the twist pretty early on. But it was an enjoyable story that kept me reading.
Emma
May 02, 2013 Emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This literally is a tale of two emotions for me... I loved the Izzie storyline, it was evocative, juicy and vivid to me and could have stood alone.

Karen's story was to my mind hackneyed, and whilst the comparison was necessary for the narrative, I found that stylistically the book did not flow and Karen was less sympathetic due to this.. to truly succeed both characters needed to be equally likeable!
Kristi
Aug 22, 2011 Kristi rated it it was ok
There are two alternating stories in the book- I liked Izzy's much more than Karen's. Karen's felt like someone told the author to add as much sex or sexual references as possible because 'that's what sells'. And it wasnt even good sex! :) The best part of the book was its setting- I love Northern California and loved knowing where they were.
Heather
Sep 02, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: sold
This was a nice story, but occasionally some of the writing felt a touch too much like a romance novel. The tie between the two women was easy to figure out, which was fine, because I really enjoyed that part of the story. Overall, it was good, but it didn't quite meet it's potential for me.
Laura K
Sep 16, 2010 Laura K rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The chapters alternate between two characters in this book, like two separate stories-- IZZY and KAREN. Once I had the "aha" moment, I started to enjoy the story even more. I loved the descriptions of the Delta, probably more so since I am a native Californian. Good read.
Camille H
May 13, 2010 Camille H rated it it was ok
Shelves: california
I enjoyed the Sac Delta (Locke, Isleton, etc) references in the book but wasn't that enthused about anything else. This might be more interesting for young adult readers (although there are some sexy parts) - especially those who live in Northern California.
Sydney
Jul 05, 2014 Sydney rated it liked it
Shelves: reread
This is the first novel I have read by Gayle Brandeis. I would rate the first two-thirds of the book as three stars and the last third as four stars. I enjoyed the plot twist as it unfolded in the last 75 pages.
Jaxmarie
Jan 20, 2011 Jaxmarie rated it liked it
I liked this book. Easy read. I knew the twist going into it though as I read the book club discussion questions first. So be warned - if you don't want to know the twist going into it, don't read the discussion questions first!
Mariah
Apr 07, 2014 Mariah rated it it was ok
Quick read - short chapters that are nice when trying to just get a little reading in before falling asleep. Interesting story and characters and setting, but something about it was just a bit boring.
Brandy
Apr 04, 2013 Brandy rated it really liked it
This book was really good - I liked it a lot. It took until almost to halfway to figure out what was going on. It was a really original way to write a book and I liked the setting a lot.
Vicki Jaeger
Jul 24, 2012 Vicki Jaeger rated it liked it
It was a good read, nice story. I struggled a little with the end, as there seemed to be some unfinished business with the old boyfriend.
Stacy
I loved this book. I loved the different definitions of Delta-the way the characters are revealed, the back-story. I will be looking for other books by this author!
Becky
Oct 16, 2015 Becky marked it as to-read
great story, lovely characters.....nice way of flipping back and forth characters- a now popular style of presenting a story....
will look at pears differently now....
Brenda
Jul 17, 2010 Brenda rated it liked it
A lot of places mentioned in this book are from my childhood, so it was quite endearing. To my knowledge, the main town mentioned (starts with a "c"... can't recall right now) doesn't exist.

Perkimom
May 25, 2011 Perkimom rated it really liked it
Delicious...the writing was ripe and juicy in its descriptions. I really enjoyed the plot but especially the Delta and the farm images.
Jul 13, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Great book. Quick read. Would have given 5 stars, but I figured out the twist early on, so took a star away for that.
Jenny
Jun 15, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Loved the two stories and how they were connected, loved the characters Izzy, Quinn and Abcde the most
Cindy
  • Commuters
  • Getting In
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Dagmars Daughter
  • Day By Day (Steeple Hill Home Ties, #2)
  • Bone Fire
  • Perfect Reader
  • Good Things I Wish You
  • The Favorites
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • SAHM I Am
  • 86'd
  • You Lost Me There
  • Bill Warrington's Last Chance
  • Do They Know I'm Running?
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
Gayle Brandeis is the author of Fruitflesh: Seeds of Inspiration for Women Who Write (HarperOne) and the novels The Book of Dead Birds (HarperCollins), which won the Bellwether Prize for Fiction of Social Engagement (judged by Toni Morrison, Maxine Hong Kingston, and contest founder Barbara Kingsolver), Self Storage (Ballantine), Delta Girls (Ballantine), and My Life with the Lincolns (Henry Holt) ...more
More about Gayle Brandeis...