Start by marking “The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash” as Want to Read:
The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash

The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash (Jimmy's Boa #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  14,679 ratings  ·  184 reviews
It starts off as an ordinary class trip to the farm - boring, kind of dull. But before very long, chaos takes over as one zany incident leads to another, even zanier, one. Soon the entire farm is uproariously out of control.
Published October 9th 1992 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
187th out of 1,112 books — 1,371 voters
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanInside the Earth by Joanna ColeMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeOwen by Kevin Henkes
Reading Rainbow Featured Books
16th out of 121 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

“The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash” is a truly hilarious story from the creative mind of Trinka Hakes Noble along with illustrations by Steven Kellogg and it is about a girl’s wild adventures at the field trip to the farm. “The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash” is definitely one of the most memorable books about farm adventures ever written that many children will enjoy for years!

Trinka Hakes Noble has done an excellent job at writing this story as it details a girl’s adventures at the farm. Trinka H
Sara Andrews
“The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash” is definitely an original book. The storyline is told in a backwards progression, as well as a cause and effect. The pictures convey absolute utter chaos. The illustrations make it almost impossible to to turn the page to continue reading because you feel like you might miss something hilarious happening in the scene.

The story is about a little girl telling her mother in a matter-of-fact sort of way about her field trip to the farm that day. It starts out with
Anna Lawrence
Personal Reaction:
I loved this book! There was always something outrageous going on in the story when the little girl was recalling the trip to the farm to her mother. Every event that occurred was even more wild and unbelievable than the previous one. It had me really wanting to keep reading to find out what crazy thing was going to happen next. For me, there was so much happening, like the egg and corn fight, and all of the pigs getting onto the school bus that I forgot about the boa constrict
Carissa Burks
Sep 11, 2014 Carissa Burks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers, young children, teachers
This book is cute and kids will surely get a kick out of it. It's a story about a girl who comes home from her class field trip to the farm and her mom is asking her questions about how it went. In true child fashion she answers with one sentences answers that lead to more questions. The story is told slightly backwards as it tends to happen in real life with kids before stringing the events together.

It is cute and the illustrations are very well done. The book can be used in multiple ways with
This book is great, apart from the wonderful story, because it tells the story backwards, in the form of the daughter recounting what happened to her mother, and because the illustrations are part of the story. I recommend to anyone with children or who, like me, has never lost her love for children's stories.
Kayla Edwards
Just read this book again today for what must surely be the 1,000th time. I'm still as in love with it as I was 20+ years ago! Highly recommended to anyone in need of a smile :)
Jan 20, 2014 MaykenAlanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to MaykenAlanna by: my mom
Great read for my three-year old. She's bilingual, we own the German translation and now she brought the French one home from the school library, so both mom and dad can have a go.
What I like best about the book is that first the chain of events is told backwards, and then forward again as the mother understands what was going on.
And the boa eating the wash is never actually mentioned except in the title - you have to check the pictures! (But your child will be sure to do that for you!)
Only four
While this is an absolutely hilarious book, I think one can get more out of it reading it on their own than from the Reading Rainbow episode. So much is happening in every picture that you miss if you don't go at your own speed.

4/15/10 This was a quick addition when I realized on Tuesday that I needed another book to fill-in. I figured it would be great since it worked so well on Reading Rainbow! And it did. My Thursday group was smaller than Tuesday, but each one enjoyed the story. I know they
A little girl tells her mother that the school field trip to the farm was pretty boring, until the cow started crying, that crying cow unfolds the rest of the story leading to the escape of the boy’s boa snake and the havoc it created. Pigs crawled unto the bus to eat the kids lunches, because they didn’t have any corn, the kids had thrown it in a game, the boy takes his snake into the hen house to introduce it the chickens and while the chickens are scrambling for cover one lays an egg on anoth ...more
"The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash" is an funny and wonderful story that keeps adults and children alike in tune and anticipating the events that will unfold on the next pages. The illustrations tell as story of their own as they hint and establish the hilarity of each and every scene. As the story is told from a child's point of view, there is an added sense of humor as it follows the simple, yet disorganized characteristic of a child's mind!
Emily Anderson
This is a silly story about a class field trip. When a little girl came home from her field trip from the farm her mom asked how it was, little did she know it was a wild experience. Throughout the story the mother had to ask questions to backtrack to the beginning to explain why everything happened. First, the little girl explained that a cow began to cry because the farmer pushed a pile of hay on top of it. The farmer did it on accident because the he was yelling at the pigs to get off the bus ...more
Elines Flores
This book is HILARIOUS! The little girl tells her mom all about the crazy events that happened at her field trip to the farm. Every situation even more unbelievable that the next! The girl was so animated in her storytelling which relates to most young children. Young children are so imaginative and could very well come up with stories like this one.
Michelle McBeth
I read this book again after several years to remember why I like this book so much. The story is rather unrealistic. School kids take a trip to a farm where things get out of control because of Jimmy's pet boa constrictor which somehow ends up on the field trip. But the author tells the story in such a compelling way that you don't care whether it could have really happened, you just want to know what happens next. I like how the story is told backwards until you get to the beginning of where i ...more
I read this out loud to my students and some didn't quite get the joke. However, I often stopped reading as I couldn't stop giggling.

The story is told in flashback by a young girl who telling her mother about their field trip to the farm. For some reason, Jimmy felt the need to bring his boa constrictor. This "little" event leads to a chain reaction that results in Jimmy leaving behind his snake and bringing home a pig.

My older students cracked up, my younger students seemed puzzled and wiggled
Erma Talamante
Cute story, written as a conversation between a girl and her mother about the things that transpired during a school field trip. The colorful illustrations leave you laughing out loud, while the child's matter-of-fact descriptions give the story an authentic feel. Easily a favorite!
Katarina Miller
I think this book is funny because of how nonchalant the narrator acts towards all the incidents of the day. This book could be a great tool to explain cause and effect to younger kids. I think this book is affective in being humorous because of how crazy all the incidents are.
Samantha Ferrari
I enjoyed The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash, I thought it was hilarious and outlandish. The little girl tells her mother that the trip to the farm was boring, until the cow started crying and from then on it was chaos. The funny part to me about this whole book is that the little girl telling the story is so nonshalant the whole book! This story has lots of imagination and I would recommend telling it to your class.

Learning Experience: Lets think about cause and effect, what would most likely hap
Written By: Trinka Hakes Nobel
Illustrated By: Steven Kellogg
Book Type: Fables

The story “The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate The Wash” is about a girl. She tells her mother about a class trip to a farm she had been to earlier that day. She told her mother about a series of events that occured during the trip. As the mother questions her daughter about the trip, the daughter she said that without the teacher’s knowledge, Jimmy brought his pet boa constrictor along on the class trip. The events get sillier a
I read this a long time ago and I still remember how much I liked it. I am not sure if I should be adding all of the books I remember reading as a child, I think I will just add the ones that I can remember fondly.
Nina Levine
May 01, 2015 Nina Levine added it
Shelves: humor
I love this collaboration of author and illustrator that has brought so much joy to my life and my son's. I am listening to Steven Kellogg right now... with such pleasure and awe.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Fun story told backwards... the way a parent has to keep asking their child for more and more info to understand the entire story. I always love Steven Kellogg's brilliant illustrations.
This book was an ordinary trip, but a young girls tells her mama what happen on the field trip. The mother was totally totally surprised what all happen in the field trip to a farm. A fantastic, funny, engaging book. It helps that preschool children to alert to what will happen next. The children had a fights, brought a long and huge snake to the farm. The children throw corn a cob to each other. She brought a snake in the farm, but the girl brought a home a pet pig.

Learning Experience: The tea
S. J.
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I must have read this thing a million times. Even in middle and high school, I'd pull it off the shelf and quickly read through it. I haven't been able to find my copy as some of my books have been packed away, but I still think fondly of this often. I was first introduced to this book through Reading Rainbow, and quickly checked it out of the library. The characters, the unbelievable situations, the quirky illustrations; they all combine to create a humorous little story that ...more
This is a pretty fun book. And, you should buy and enjoy any book illustrated by Steven Kellogg! Really! He is a genius, and very funny to boot.
Review: The dialogue is between a girl and her mother. This helps children see the story through a third person point of view. This is a hilarious book in which the little girl shares her adventure at the farm in a cause and effect, where each event leads to another. The illustrations in this book make the story even better. Children have to use their imagination for this book.

Learning Experience: This is a good book to teach children about cause and effect. For this book we will do a cause and
OK. If I was really being consistent with labeling, I would put this under "Noble" because she is the author. But I really want it to go on the Kellogg shelf because that's how I think of it. Then again, the story is much better than the other books I have reviewed of his so Trinka (what a name, huh?) should get credit for that. The story, about a disastrous field trip to a farm, is told in backwards order by a little girl. The story is hilarious and the pictures are perfect especially because y ...more
May 28, 2015 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Peggy Auvil, teacher extraordinaire
I love, love, love this book! I can not say enough good about it. It's perfect for second graders - so engaging, so funny. I am sure it would be that way for lots of grades, but I happen to teach second. I used it to teach predicting with my kids. You know, good readers predict all the time. And, when they find out their prediction wasn't correct, they take what they've learned and make a new prediction. This book is PERFECT for that, especially the second mini-lesson. No one, and I do mean, no ...more
  • Paul Bunyan, a Tall Tale
  • Happy Birthday, Moon
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
  • The Hat
  • Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • Doctor De Soto
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • I Wanna Iguana
  • The Legend of the Bluebonnet

Jimmy's Boa (4 books)
  • Jimmy's Boa Bounces Back
  • Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash
  • Jimmy's Boa and the Bungee Jump Slam Dunk
Meanwhile Back at the Ranch Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash Jimmy's Boa Bounces Back The Orange Shoes Apple Tree Christmas