Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship

Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Where do you go when the water rises?

For more than twenty years, John Kasich has sought the answer to this question and many of life’s most fundamental challenges in an unlikely place: his twice-a-month lunches with an irreverent, thoughtful, and spirited circle of guys who are members of a Bible study group. Every other Monday over lunch at an Italian restaurant in Colum...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Atria Books

Christy
Had great potential but could've been much more applicable to others rather than just being a memoir.
Paul Dubuc
I found the audio book edition at the public library when one of the books I had reserved for a car trip did not come in time. I had never heard of this book but decided to give it a listen since Kasich is now governor of Ohio, where I've lived most of my life, and since I have also been part of a men's Bible study group of the same size (call ours, "Almost Every Friday"). I was interested in how Kasich's experience compared with mine. I'm a little leery of politicians. I didn't want to read a s...more
Adam
Didnt quite understand the book at first. The trials and tribulations of trying to build a group that meets consistently. Busy schedules, different opinions, people dropping off etc etc etc...the problems you always have with a group whether Bible study or anything else. Aside from two maybe three pages that include a good discussion on faith in God and free will, about 2/3's of the book is just the mechanics and play by play of the Bible study group. It didn't do much for me. I think around pag...more
Suzie
If you're looking for a book on how bible study groups work, this is the book for you!

I'm not sure what I was expecting out of this book. Whatever it was, I didn't get it. I read about 100 pages and it wasn't getting anymore exciting. Maybe the second half of it is better, but I'm not taking any chances by reading it.

It's not terribly written, it just wasn't very compelling. As a memoir it fell short as it focused only on his life events as they affected his bible study group. I'm rather religi...more
Kiley
so i wanted to read this book solely because i occasionally taught swim lessons for kasich's daughters... and because they were at the pool all the time when i was lifeguarding. so i was interested to see if there were any anecdotes about westerville (since that's where they live and where i'm from).

i read probably 1/3 of the book and skimmed the rest. there weren't that many stories about westerville, and i don't agree with some of kasich's theology, so i ended up putting it down before i finis...more
Rosemary Biggio
Let me preface my comment by saying I like John Kasich and that prompted me to read the book. Every Other Monday is an account of the author's Bible Study Group. There is little to harvest here. I found the book more substantial near the end when the author grappled with human vices. Don't expect the insight of Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life or the poetic spirituality of Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain. What you will find is the pilgrimage of an ordinary man to Jesus.
Lillie
I was fascinated by the story of a group of men who have come together for regular Bible study for twenty years. The interesting thing is that these men aren't part of a church or other organization. They come from different denominations and different churches; some knew each other and others didn't when individual members joined. They don't always agree theologically, but they have developed a strong bond through the years and they benefit from studying God's Word.
Ellie Revert
This is a wonderful book, and we will give some as gifts. John Kasich describes the genesis of his Bible study group, and the ensuing 20 years of the gatherings. Lots of food for thought, and some very helpful suggestions on how to view an issue--and to examine it from each and every side.
Patrick
God's Hand....Man's Free Will...and everything in between...Is there a GOD discussed thru FAITH, FREINDSHIP, and FELLOWSHIP...Dark Nights of the Soul was very enlightening and provides that answer when one demands "Why ME...How could God let this happen"...GOOD READ!!!!
Gigi
I kept hearing about this book and how good it was..... maybe it was all the hype but it didn't seem as fabulous to me as everyone said. It is refreshing to hear this Public Servant discuss issues of faith and how he incorporated this into his life.
Sharon Maerten-Moore
I picked this up because I am in a women's group at church. The relationships were interesting, but too much time was spent on them and not enough information about their discussions. Some enjoyable and memorable parts, though.
Barbara
A book written by the now Governor of Ohio. It is about a group of men (Kasich included) who meet every other Monday for a bible study and have done so for 20 years.
Susan Criddle
GREAT book - loved this book and good gift to give.....
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Mallory Hall
Mallory Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Peyton Mcclure
Peyton Mcclure marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Vicki Thompson
Vicki Thompson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jane Burklund
Jane Burklund marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
E. Willson baker
E. Willson baker marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Joshua de Gastyne
Joshua de Gastyne marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stand For Something: The Battle for America's Soul Courage Is Contagious: Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things To Change The Face Of America Stand for Something: The Battle for America's Soul Why the Balanced Budget Amendment Is Good for Americans