Start by marking “Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship” as Want to Read:
Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship

Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Where do you go when the water rises?

For more than twenty years, John Kasich has sought the answer to this question and many of life’s most fundamental challenges in an unlikely place: his twice-a-month lunches with an irreverent, thoughtful, and spirited circle of guys who are members of a Bible study group. Every other Monday over lunch at an Italian restaurant in Colum
Published June 15th 2010 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Other Monday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Other Monday

Adam
Sep 11, 2010 Adam rated it it was ok
Didnt quite understand the book at first. The trials and tribulations of trying to build a group that meets consistently. Busy schedules, different opinions, people dropping off etc etc etc...the problems you always have with a group whether Bible study or anything else. Aside from two maybe three pages that include a good discussion on faith in God and free will, about 2/3's of the book is just the mechanics and play by play of the Bible study group. It didn't do much for me. I think around pag ...more
Kiley
so i wanted to read this book solely because i occasionally taught swim lessons for kasich's daughters... and because they were at the pool all the time when i was lifeguarding. so i was interested to see if there were any anecdotes about westerville (since that's where they live and where i'm from).

i read probably 1/3 of the book and skimmed the rest. there weren't that many stories about westerville, and i don't agree with some of kasich's theology, so i ended up putting it down before i finis
Marilyn
Mar 22, 2016 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, memoir
Further in our book club's reading of books by presidential candidates. He starts by describing growing up Catholic, drifting, then getting back to religious reflection when his parents were killed by a drunk driver. It was the classic question of why does God let bad things happen to people, and it led to him exploring with others what Bible stories mean, what it meant in biblical times to lead a life of faith, and what it means today.

The book is easy to read, like a folksy conversation for ave
Lillie
I was fascinated by the story of a group of men who have come together for regular Bible study for twenty years. The interesting thing is that these men aren't part of a church or other organization. They come from different denominations and different churches; some knew each other and others didn't when individual members joined. They don't always agree theologically, but they have developed a strong bond through the years and they benefit from studying God's Word.
Drtaxsacto
Mar 21, 2016 Drtaxsacto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very personal book about a bible study group that Kasich formed more than 20 years ago. Generally I prefer political figures who have a deep set of personal values. Thus, I could accept a politician like Joe Lieberman quicker than I could many more conservative figures because although I may not support some of the programs he would I believe I understand how he would make decisions.

The story begins with the death of his parents in an auto accident (both were killed by a drunk driver)
Christy
Aug 02, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
Had great potential but could've been much more applicable to others rather than just being a memoir.
Paul
May 24, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the audio book edition at the public library when one of the books I had reserved for a car trip did not come in time. I had never heard of this book but decided to give it a listen since Kasich is now governor of Ohio, where I've lived most of my life, and since I have also been part of a men's Bible study group of the same size (call ours, "Almost Every Friday"). I was interested in how Kasich's experience compared with mine. I'm a little leery of politicians. I didn't want to read a s ...more
Deb
Apr 02, 2016 Deb rated it really liked it
John and his friends meet every other Monday for lunch and a group Bible Study. they aren't fire and brimstone, just a group of guys, that have become like family trying to make sense of this crazy ride we are on called life, while searching for answers from the Bible. A lot of times more than answers, they continue to find questions. But this group has become a rock to stand on when times are hard. I would love to sit in on one of these lunches!
Suzie
If you're looking for a book on how bible study groups work, this is the book for you!

I'm not sure what I was expecting out of this book. Whatever it was, I didn't get it. I read about 100 pages and it wasn't getting anymore exciting. Maybe the second half of it is better, but I'm not taking any chances by reading it.

It's not terribly written, it just wasn't very compelling. As a memoir it fell short as it focused only on his life events as they affected his bible study group. I'm rather religi
Rosemary Biggio
Let me preface my comment by saying I like John Kasich and that prompted me to read the book. Every Other Monday is an account of the author's Bible Study Group. There is little to harvest here. I found the book more substantial near the end when the author grappled with human vices. Don't expect the insight of Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life or the poetic spirituality of Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain. What you will find is the pilgrimage of an ordinary man to Jesus.
Ellie Revert
Aug 23, 2010 Ellie Revert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book, and we will give some as gifts. John Kasich describes the genesis of his Bible study group, and the ensuing 20 years of the gatherings. Lots of food for thought, and some very helpful suggestions on how to view an issue--and to examine it from each and every side.
Patrick
Jun 29, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
God's Hand....Man's Free Will...and everything in between...Is there a GOD discussed thru FAITH, FREINDSHIP, and FELLOWSHIP...Dark Nights of the Soul was very enlightening and provides that answer when one demands "Why ME...How could God let this happen"...GOOD READ!!!!
Gigi
Sep 04, 2010 Gigi rated it liked it
I kept hearing about this book and how good it was..... maybe it was all the hype but it didn't seem as fabulous to me as everyone said. It is refreshing to hear this Public Servant discuss issues of faith and how he incorporated this into his life.
Sharon Maerten-Moore
Mar 08, 2013 Sharon Maerten-Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I picked this up because I am in a women's group at church. The relationships were interesting, but too much time was spent on them and not enough information about their discussions. Some enjoyable and memorable parts, though.
Barbara
Jun 07, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
A book written by the now Governor of Ohio. It is about a group of men (Kasich included) who meet every other Monday for a bible study and have done so for 20 years.
Susan Criddle
Jun 16, 2013 Susan Criddle rated it it was amazing
GREAT book - loved this book and good gift to give.....
Deanna
Deanna rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Rick
Rick is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2016
Janewin
Janewin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Nancy Oyula
Nancy Oyula marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kathryn B. Groth
Kathryn B. Groth rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Chanely
Chanely marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Joe Oaster
Joe Oaster rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Roger Smitter
Roger Smitter marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Linda Pilkerton
Linda Pilkerton rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
  • An American Son: A Memoir
  • Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully
  • My Life Without God
  • This Is Herman Cain!: My Journey to the White House
  • Crazy Love
  • A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • On Earth as It Is in Heaven
  • Abortion: A Rational Look At An Emotional Issue
  • Behind the Veils of Yemen: How an American Woman Risked Her Life, Family, and Faith to Bring Jesus to Muslim Women
  • The Last Great Strike: Little Steel, the CIO, and the Struggle for Labor Rights in New Deal America
  • Undemocratic: How Unelected, Unaccountable Bureaucrats Are Stealing Your Liberty and Freedom
  • Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation
  • A Time for Truth : Reigniting the Promise of America
  • Mightier Than the Sword: Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Battle for America

“In addition to an open heart and open mind, I also brought (to the small group Bible study) an open mouth.” 2 likes
“Faith enables you to hold on loosely without letting go.” 2 likes