Blank-133x176
The Breastfeeding Moth...

Diana West

The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Endorsed by La Leche League--the world's best-known breastfeeding advocates--an essential resource for nursing mothers

Like most mothers, you worry about not making enough milk, especially if you have had trouble breastfeeding or you must be away from your baby. Myths and misinformation abound, but there hasn't been a credible, comprehensive resource--until now. This author...more
Published November 16th 2008 by McGraw-Hill (first published October 25th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk

Gina
I finally sat down with this new release and was very impressed. I had the good fortune of attending a conference where Lisa Marasco was one of the keynote speakers, but this book is going to be an invaluable reference for my practice.

Written for the mother, it is equally useful to the lactation consultant. It's informative but accessible. It was filled with tidbits that were new to me (for example, that studies have shown chiropractic to be an effective intervention for low milk supply).

I would...more
Nicola
I wish this book was a must read for all mothers - those who think they dont have enough milk ( but actually do , they just are not feeding the baby enough) and those who dont . Its excellent particularly the last chapter - making peace with your supply. I have 4 copies - 3 out on loan at moment :)
Diana
After flipping through 3 breastfeeding books for help with my low milk supply, none of them had more than 3 or 4 helpful pages in them and most were along the lines of "are you really sure there's a problem or are you just doing something wrong?." One book, rather than exploring this in detail, recommended getting THIS book if you really wanted to know what was up. I am so glad I did. It presents the milk-making equation and breaks down in a simple yet analytic way how to go through your own pro...more
Angela
This is an invaluable resource both for lactation professionals and for any mother who has ever had a concern about her milk supply. The book (1) helps identify whether there is indeed a problem with supply, (2) discusses possible physical, hormonal, and psychological causes for low milk supply, and (3) offers steps to take to increase milk supply. Even after two years as a breastfeeding counselor I learned a great deal from this book. It's easy to read but packed with valuable information.
Heather
Reading this because Diana West is like a superhero when it comes to writing about breastfeeding and being encouraging and not making moms feel guilty. I have only heard good things about this book and figure it's something I should read.

******

I was happy to find out that this book is great. I wish it had been published years ago. Highly recommended for moms who worry about supply whether from experience with previous children or from just stories that their mom/sister/aunt/next door neighbor di...more
Brittany Seyb
I found this book a little late in the game of breastfeeding my first child. From the beginning I had a rocky time. So many ups and downs. So after 6 months of exhaustive nursing and pumping I was still having a multitude of problems with my milk production. It's so unnerving. My daughter wasn't getting enough milk and she was really suffering growth wise as she went from the 5th percentile to the 3rd. So plague with all this guilt and fear that I wasn't able to give my daughter what she needed...more
Sara Fox
I got this book at the recommendation of my lactation consultant and read it over a weekend. The advice is really good and I learned a lot, which is saying something because I'm a second time parent who breastfed my first kid. Granted, I didn't have breastfeeding issues with my first, so it would seem that I didn't know as much as I thought.

I used the advice on herbal remedies to increase milk supply and how to have the sitter feed my kiddo so as not to demolish my milk supply. I learned about h...more
Erica
Excellent on all counts: in the details, the mechanics, and the emotional support side of things. One small critique: in the Kindle version, the Herb Tables at the back are far too small to read.
Carrie
This book had a wealth of information but was also reasonable and set realistic expectations, not dogmatic like some books. Made me excited to start nursing again.
Melanie
An AMAZING, comprehensive guide to how your body makes milk and how to try to get it to make more. If you haven't given birth yet and you really want to breastfeed, get this book and read chapter 5 "Getting Your Milk Supply off to a Good Start" to help head off problems so you won't need to try to make more milk!

In the midst of trying to make more milk, this book has been a fabulous guide to evaluating all the suggestions given to a new mom struggling with low supply!

And the book concludes with...more
Amy
This was a really good book, especially considering the difficulties I had with breastfeeding. While I can't go back and change what already happened, I can be more confident about future breastfeeding endeavors.

The chapter on emotional reasons for low milk supply and the feelings associated with the entire process were particularly validating. From that standpoint, this book was healing for me.

If you had trouble breastfeeding but plan to try again with a new baby, or if you've never breastfed...more
Carrie
This book gave excellent advice! I found it very reassuring and helpful.
Stevie
This is easily the best book I read on breastfeeding; I picked it up on a friend's recommendation when my daughter was about 7 months old and I was struggling to pump enough milk for her during the workday. I wish I'd read this before I had my baby because I think it would have managed my expectations better. I did get some helpful tips and some understanding of why some things worked and some things didn't. It also helped me feel better about my decision to start supplementing during the day af...more
Katsim Simons
This is one that is mostly more helpful after you start than before. It was a little overwhelming for someone who has never had a baby or breastfed, but it was highly recommended by the lactation consultant and I think if you know you're going back to work, some of the information on getting your supply started strong (so you can pump enough to keep things going once the baby goes into childcare) is good. Most of the rest deals with identifying problems with your supply, so it isn't really appli...more
Rachel
A great resource for the mom desiring more milk. I'm glad I'm reading this a couple weeks before giving birth, but will definitely keep it around to use it as a reference in case any nursing problems arise after the baby is born. The intended audience is for those with specific problems as opposed to simply nursing in general, that said since nursing in general seems to have enough problems, this is a great book to at least flip through for those expecting to breastfeed.
Kara
This little book is helpful! I own it, and still find myself referring to it. There’s a lot of knowledge out there that isn’t shared these days concerning breastfeeding and breastmilk supply. As a working Mom, it is very difficult to keep your supply levels up, especially if you are trying for a year or more! Lots of little tidbits of helpful information, plus the low down on supplements.
Brandy
I cannot recommend this book enough. I truly wish I had had this book with my first child; I can't help but think that I would have had fewer supply issues with this book on hand. I didn't have nearly the feeding/milk supply issues with my second but it was a comfort in those first few months. Excellent resource for pregnant or breastfeeding moms to have on hand!
Andrea Paterson
A really informative and supportive book for people struggling to breastfeed. It's very non-judgemental and has some excellent ideas and resources. It helps you make the most of what you have if you can't breastfeed exclusively and I was particularly impressed with the information on available herbal remedies.
Rebekah
Jan 18, 2011 Rebekah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers with milk supply issues
Shelves: breast-feeding
This book contains a lot of excellent information and solutions. It covers food and herbal galactogues - both of which have given me the very best results when building up milk supply. Definitely worth reading if you suffer from milk supply problems. I also recommend the amazing book, "Mother Food" by Hilary Jacobson.
Heidi
I learned a lot from this book and it had a lot of good information. It covers a very wide range of topics. The thing I didn't like is that multiple times throughout the book it would give you an overview of a topic and then refer you to their website for more detail.
Tonya
This was the most informative book I have ever read concerning low milk supply specificly. With the informaition I learned, I am well on my way to being able to successfully breastfeed my baby to be after many struggles and frustrations with previous attempts at nursing.
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2010 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pregnant women, breastfeeding women
Recommended to Rebecca by: lactation consultant
An awesome resource that can help nursing mothers avoid supply problems, or figure out the cause of a supply problem and what to do about it. It covers the complexity of the issues but stays easy to read. Really helpful for me - I only wish I'd read it sooner!
Amelia
This is probably hands down the best book for mothers who struggle with low milk supply. It covers physiological, emotional, and hormonal issues that can effect milk supply in breastfeeding women. I wish that I had this book when I was nursing my third baby.
Valerie
Great stuff. Lots of info as to causes and solutions for low milk, and good advice as well for handling it emotionally. As I read, I marked things I thought were pertinent to me, and I'm going to go back over those things now, and get this all figured out.
Andrea
Awesome book! I've read and reread this book . . . making it my breastfeeding bible. I need as much help as I can get to produce enough milk for my 7 week old, and I attribute most of my success so far with the knowledge I've gained in this book.
Paula Coleman
An excellent read for the nursing Mother who has or thinks she has milk supply issues. Non judgemental and covers numerous approaches to building milk supply. I recommend it to my mothers who are really struggling with milk supply.
Nicole Greer
Great reference for understanding breastfeeding and what you can do to help you supply. I didn't read the whole thing, but will certainly be referring back when I have more children.
Kit Fry
I liked seeing a breastfeeding resource focus completely on my issue. Though, I tried everything I could in here and it didn't help at all. Not even a small increase.
Alexis
so far, SO helpful! armed with more knowledge (and what i learned last time) i feel much more confident about establishing nursing and maintaining a good supply
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Defining your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery American Betrayal: How We Lost America's Core Beliefs, Who Stole Them, and How We Can Get Them Back The Death of the Grown-Up: How America's Arrested Development Is Bringing Down Western Civilization The Rebuttal: Defending 'American Betrayal' from the Book-Burners Breastfeeding After Breast and Nipple Procedures: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals