Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)

Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers #3)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Lee's story is the third tale in the Slave Breakers saga. Imagine a modern society parallel to our own where impoverished peasants are legally permitted to sell their children into slavery starting at age 15. The upper class households in this world demonstrate their wealth by buying the best of everything - including people.

Bran returns to his old master but this time it...more
Published October 23rd 2008 by self-published

Evenfall by Santino HassellThe Student Prince by FayJayThe Violet and the Tom by Eve OcotilloLike a Sparrow Through the Heart by Aggy BirdHeart in Hand by salifiable
Favorite Unpublished M/M Stories
13th out of 266 books — 891 voters
Duck! by Kim DareCaptive Prince by S.U. PacatBloodraven by P.L. NunnConcubine by Jill KnowlesGaven by J.C. Owens
Best Gay Slaves
25th out of 179 books — 628 voters

More lists with this book...

Em
I really enjoyed this book, it was a very satisfying conclusion to The Slave Breakers series. This was Lee's story but I was glad that the majority of the book centered around Holden, who did everything he could to keep the people he loved together.

Towards the end I was a bit worried about who would actually be left with Holden but everything worked out really well in the end. I was also really pleased that Jer and Lee realised what they meant to each other and had a good relationship.

♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I dreaded reading this book. Will another foray into this break my heart? Will it make me rage against the inhumanity? Will I still love Holden? Will I still not like Valor? Will I still be confused about Alix and Holden's marriage? Will I still adore Bran? The answer is YES to every question!

Lee is the latest abused slave of Dunaev. Lord Dunaev is a piece of work. His inadequacies are taken out on his slaves. We learn more about this slave world. The injustice of it as well as how it keeps crim...more
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 4.5 stars

Buddy read with Vilda!
Kristie Sanchez
Loved this series. Needs some formatting, a little editing, but I can forgive that since the story is so good. Each book has been centered around a slave, but still kept on with the big overall story. I worried that I'd miss Bran. Not the case. I hope there will be more books. I'd like to see how everyone is doing, what the end results show for everyone. Big changes happen to everyone involved and it would be a shame to not continue on.
leigh
Worthy conclusion to a stellar series. This last installment tackles the ethical quandary which was only glancingly addressed in the two previous books: the social and psychological ramifications of slavery, and its future as a legal institution. The narrative accomplishes this while never straying from its established formula of focusing tightly on emotional, touching and sexy interpersonal relationships among characters we have come to know and care for.

When Holden’s latest rescued slave (Lee)...more
Alex
Overall
Of the three main stories (Bran's, Jesse's and Lee's), I had the most difficulty getting through this one. It had nothing to do with the writing (it was just as strong), or the story (lots going on), or the characters (still love them all), but nonetheless, I struggled about half-way through. Part of me, I think, was afraid that I wasn't going to get a happy ending, but even after I was assured on that front (and I really shouldn't have worried), I had to force myself to finish reading it...more
Danny Tyran
I've read all the books in the series Slave Breakers. I think the author did not like slavery. She does not really believe that it may be good for anyone. One could describe Holden, the main character, as a master who has a velvet hand in a velvet glove.
I understand that the author has created a situation where the retrainers are literally saving the lives of slaves cruelly mistreated by their former masters. We could not bring a broken slave to life by hitting him, even gently. So her context...more
Emy
Lee's Story comes three years after the end of Jesse's Story and five years after the end of Bran's Story. Dunaev, Bran's old master, has ruined another slave, and this time has dubbed him 'irreparable'.

Meet Lee. He's terrified, catatonic, and even worse off than Bran was when Holden and Alix bought him from Dunaev. Reminded horribly of Bran, Holden begins to think seriously about the consequences of slavery and makes a decision that could have repercussions for his whole family.

This book is a h...more
Danielle
This one just didn't do it for me. It's the longest in the series over 500 pages and benefits from the majority of the book switching between Holden's and Lee's POV. Unfortunately for me that's not exactly where I saw this one going, the whole abolition line.

(view spoiler)...more
Don Bradshaw
I have mixed feelings about this book. The previous two Slave Breaker books were great and I reccomend reading Lee's story also to wrap up the trilogy. I personally didn;t like the character Lee so took a long time reading this. I don't care for whiners and Lee was a terrible whined and so insecure that I did not identify with any of his character traits. The end of the book was great and werll worth plodding through the oceans of tears Lee was constant spilling. The characters from the previou...more
Amanda
I'm in the process of re-reading this one. My thanks to Kate for pointing out that I should have hung in there a little longer before I gave up on this book.

*Edited to add*

Okay, I am so glad Kate left a comment on my previous review and urged me to finish reading the book. This was a fantastic ending to the series. I just wish I'd been a little more patient when I read it the first time around.
Carolyn88
I hated for this series to end. It was such a wonderful story. I found myself missing the books as I read them. I wasn't able to do anthing else while I was reading them. It felt like missing a old friend or love one. You just had to pick the book back up to be sure they were still there. I hope the author continues to write stories. There is alot more that could be written about.
Julia
Half of this one about gutted me, the rest just left me with a stupid grin on my face. I fell so in love with the characters (all of them! And that almost never happens to me...) and didn't want it to end.

Also, I'm always saying I'm not a fan of m/m/f scenes and I usually avoid them, but, good Lord. Not the case with this one. Excellent series all the way around and this was a great closing.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This story, like the others in this series, was excellent. In fact, I liked this one even more than the others. The characters exhibited so much growth and maturity in this one and the way the story played out to the conclusion was just right. It's hard to believe these books are free, they are just so good. Don't hestitate to read them.
Adara
Wow, these were such excellent stories. The characters are real, as are their reactions and their concerns. They're flawed, but not unintelligent or idiotic (mostly not idiotic). The situations and thought processes make sense. They learn and grow over the course of the series. Just wow.
Tami
I think I just fell in love with Jer!

Finally finished this one. It's much longer than the first 2 in the series. So glad I did. I LOVE these books now. All the characters have grown and evolved throughout the books in wonderful ways. If you're gonna read one. read them all!
Girlgeorge
The final story of this trilogy...damn, I'm sorry it had to end! This author roped me in from Chapter 1 of Bran's story and refused to let go. Very emotional ride and something I would have happily paid for. I hope this gets published soon!
Rhianon
This one includes some menage as well as the D/s themes.
Melanie
This review is for all of the "slave breakers" series. I enjoyed them all about the same, except maybe the prequel which is my least favorite, but still very good.

I was not sure what to think of this story before I started reading it. I saw where one of my friends here on Goodreads rated it very well. Then I saw that it was posted on LiveJournal and that there are writer's note within the story. I was worried then that the story would not be well written because of this, but based on the the rat...more
Lirajean
In an Art class many moons ago we were asked to analyze the composition of paintings. I remember spending a lot of time looking at and dissecting one of Cezanne's paintings of oranges on a table. Given the parameters inherent in painting, it was truly a masterpiece. A painting of fruit is perhaps not the most exciting thing to look at, on the surface, but the craft and spirit of the painter shone VERY brightly.

I had a similar experience with this book, and the series as a whole.

I woke up this m...more
Lora
Feb 16, 2012 Lora rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
What a fantastic ride this has been. Meeting Holden, Bran, Yves, Jer, Alix, Greta, and yes, even Valor, has been a fabulous experience of which I never expected. I truly can't decide which book in this series is my favorite; to me, they each have their own vibe and special moments that make them just as appealing and enjoyable as the other books in the series. Of course, Lee's book has the benefit of being over 500 pages, where as the previous books are less than 200. And
then there's Lee! I just...more
Emily
This was more than twice as long as the other two, and it deserved the length. As I've said in the reviews of the other books in the series, I don't do romance. I hate it. Which makes it all the more shocking that I really, really enjoyed this book and this series. This is one of those rare series where not only are the sequels as good as the original, but they keep getting better the more we find out about all the characters!

These stories are character driven with some smut. That's the best wa...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
This is now my favorite of the series! It had the length I was looking for to round out the story and prominently featured Holden with Brandon and Yves. I know this was Lee’s story, but I was secretly happy to have as much if not more of my favorite characters in the mix! And wow, Jer – he finally broke through my heart and I fell in love with him here. :)

The way that Lee’s transformation took place under the care of the Slave Breakers was quite different than expected. I felt really disappointe...more
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Ugh… Dunaev returns. *lip curl* He's brutalized yet another sweetling only this time he's beaten him bloody, has him chained in a dark basement cell lying in a pool of his own urine & catatonic when Holden et al. arrive. Needless to say Lee requires a more intense level of care from the slave breakers than either Bran or Jesse.

Lee is skittish & scared of his own shadow not to mention malnourished & severely underweight so much so that he has to be hospitalized immediately after purc...more
Star
Diane
What can I say? I know this was the story of Lee and I really liked his story. He was very sweet. But somehow, I felt this was really a story about Holden. I just loved him in this particular book. I loved his kindness and caring and how he protected everyone he loved and was responsible for. I also thought he was written as a pretty sexy guy. I thought this book give quite a bit of insight into Holden's character. I also loved the parts that Bran and Yves and Jer played in this story. It had a...more
 Brina Brady
I cried when the book finished. I know it was Lee's story but I will miss my Bran and Holden together. Lee made me cry too but my first love was my Bran. This was the longer of the 4 books to the Slave Breakers. I can't give it away but good things do happen near the end. I am totally lost without Bran. Oh, but I found the author's website who writes short chapters that go nowhere I can tell with the characters. Here is the link:

I love the series and was s...more
EvaS
I really enjoyed this story. It was much longer than any of the others in this series and I loved that. The style of the writing was a bit choppy and at times the dialogue did not flow – it’s not a good sign when I need to re-read sentences or try to determine who is actually speaking during the dialogue between characters. That aside, I really like it. It was H.O.T. and really emotional at times. I actually got teary a couple of times. I love Holden and his ‘boys’ and I’m totally jealous of Ali...more
where can you get these series 2 6 Feb 17, 2014 08:40AM
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • The Violet and the Tom
  • Under Contract
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
  • The Story of Tol
  • Games & Players (The Administration, #3)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Indulgence
  • Undesirable
  • Discipline (Deviations, #3)
  • Chronic Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #2)
  • The Rise of Alec Caldwell: Volume One (The Rise of Alec Caldwell, #1)
  • Simon and Sir
  • Falls Chance Ranch (Falls Chance Ranch #1)
  • It's Like This (It's Like This, #1)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Close Protection
Bran's Story (The Slave Breakers, #1) Jesse's Story (The Slave Breakers, #2) Holden and Yves – The Early Years (The Slave Breakers, mini-prequel)

“ 'Oh, gods,' said Holden, halfway into his tunic. 'I can't believe it's taken me five years to realize your one tragic flaw. You're a morning person. Stop being so chipper right now. At least until I've had my coffee.' ” 0 likes