Start by marking “Wild Justice” as Want to Read:
Wild Justice

Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,344 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Special Feature: This PerfectBound e-book contains: An Interview With Phillip Margolin. Seven years ago, Phillip Margolin seized the imagination of thriller readers everywhere with his chilling breakout bestseller, Gone, but Not Forgotten. After five subsequent New York Times bestsellers, Margolin now returns to the haunting terrain of Gone, but Not Forgotten with a mesmer ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2000)

Jan 11, 2009 Robbie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone in need of a brain vacation
How can you combine doctors, lawyers, local mafia, serial killers, abusive spouses, and harvested organs on the black market, into a psychological thriller set in the beautiful pacific northwest, and not succeed? I'll tell you how! Read Wild Justice.

Phillip Margolin lazily wrote Wild Justice, both in character development and from a plot standpoint. For example, we learn on page 160 that local mafia hitman Ed Gordon is an ex-marine who had been dishonorably discharged for assaulting an officer.
Ceren Ünlü

Phillip Margolin / Vahşi Adalet
Vahşi Adalet kitabı okundu bitti. Bitmese olacaktı, biraz daha okusaydım keşke. :) Ama işte kitap güzel olunca anında, soluksuz okunuyor.
Kitabı çok beğendim ! Tam benim tarzımdı ve çok zekice kurgulanmıştı. Cinayetler tüylerimi ürpertir, ağzım açık okurken vay be dedim ne canavarlar var. Bir de okurken etraf karanlık falan işte tek gece lambası açık, gaipten sesler duymaya da başladım. Sonra aman sen kenidini öldürülenlerin yerine değil öldürenin yerine koy dedim.
Tara Hall
I LOVED this book. It held my interest from the first few pages, and I was riveted to the end. I identified with all the characters. I rooted for the tender-footed attorney, Amanda, and liked her transition over the years into a strong willed woman and capable attorney. I enjoyed the various other doctors implicated in the brutal crimes (I am not going into detail so I won’t spoil the plot), and each one was a complete character that was well fleshed out. I even liked the various bit players, li ...more
Patrice Hoffman
Finished this book in one day. It was an entertaining read. The first half was pretty boring but I stuck with it to get to the real heart of the story. It was pretty obvious who the real killer was the whole time but it was still fun getting to the end.
Pr Latta
[eAudio] First in the Amanda Jaffe series and first Phillip Margolin that I've read. Reminded me of a faster paced, less pedantic, more grisly, less depressed Barbara Holloway (Kate Wilhelm) tale but that probably was influenced by the fact that Anna Fields was the narrator and the lawyer father is also called "Frank." I enjoyed listening to the book but the rating was brought down by the lack of credibility in "procedure" -- too many professionals going to dangerous places by themselves, fantas ...more
Burcu Akpınar
Ana karakteri ceza avukatı değilde dünyadan bihaber saf, masum normal yurdum insanı tipinde bişey yapsalardı her şey 10 numara olucakmış. Bu kadar saf kahraman olmaz. Resmen delirip bir ara sesli söylenirken yakaladım kendimi:) Gene de kurgu, akıcılık vs. sıkmadan okutuyor kendini...
This is the fifth Margolin book I've read and while I can't say his novels are "literary masterpieces" or are outstanding excellent books, I CAN say they are very very very good. Wild Justice keeps up that tradition.

Everyone has their own opinion--on plots and an author's writing style. To me, this book has all the things that I personally enjoy: There are good plot twists and turns, unexpected surprises, characters I felt connected to and related to. The book moves along quickly and is a fairly
Catherine Nelson
Martin Baggs
I hadn’t read a Phillip Margolin book in a while and wanted to read a defense lawyer novel, so on a whim I picked up Wild Justice. As a bonus, it’s set in Portland.

This is the first in the Amanda Joffe series and introduces her from her first court case. The story follows a doctor who is accused of torturing and murdering several people in rural Oregon. Amanda and her father defend him but the case is left in limbo when he disappears presumed murdered. It picks up again four years later when a
Amanda Jaffe book #2 was the Nook deal of the day at Barnes & and it looks like a good book so of course if the price was reasonable I had to get book #1 to read first. Wild Justice looked like a decent read and was reasonably priced so I bought book #1 and the $2 special book #2.

I knew who the killer in this book was by page 30. By page 60, I knew I was wrong because I knew somebody else was. I was sure I was right this time until about 20 pages later and I realized I was right to
Greg Lang
This book is about 15 years old and was given to me second hand by a close friend about 12 years ago. It sat on a shelf in my home office all these years being overlooked time and again. While searching through my collection with my daughter about a month ago, I finally discovered it and what a hidden treasure it has turned out to be! This is simply one of the best works of fiction I have ever read and definitely cracks my all time favorite list!

To kick things off, a highly illegal, black market
This 2000 novel is authored by a writer whose initial profession was that of criminal defense lawyer. He peppers this crime thriller with prootocols, evidentiary issues, and forensics. The protagonist is the junior associate of a seasoned criminal defense lawyer, and the book spans a 5 year time period, during which her professional coming of age is done the hard way, on the front lines with difficult clients at risk of losing everything. Things were just a tad contrived for 100% believability, ...more
Jason May
We're immediately introduced into a highly unethical situation involving two surgeons who made a deal with a local mafia man for a human heart. However, the deal is interrupted by police and the one surgeon, Clifford Grant, takes off with both the money and the heart and returns to his partner in crime, Vincent Cardoni.

Cue our first encounter with defense attorney lawyer Amanda Jaffe. Working along side her father, Amanda is getting her feet wet in the business through her father's firm. Vincent
Wild Justice by Phillip Margolin.

I liked this story, it was interesting and moved along quickly, only taking 7 CDs. Amanda Jaffe is not long out of law school and has decided to work in her father's criminal defense law firm. The book starts with Amanda's first trial case out of school and I'm sure it will bring laughs and cringes to any former junior attorneys.

Dr. Vincent Cardoni, a jerk of a surgeon is a cocaine addict and is suspected of at least 9 horrific murders and possibly stiffing the l
Blood Rose Books
Phillip Margolin, a former criminal justice attorney, brings his readers Wild Justice, where justice is never straight forward in and outside of the courtroom.

A haunting massacre awaits investigators near a cabin in the woods, the "works" of a mad man, a serial killer that has taken meticulous care to make sure that each of the victims suffered. Caught on scene and arrested is a brilliant but violent and drug abusing surgeon Dr. Vincent Cardoni. Cardoni hires the top lawyer in Frank Jaffe and hi
Anna Stewart McCall
Wild Justice is the first appearance of Amanda Jaffe, a criminal defense attorney in Portland trying to emerge from the shadow of her father. The two are hired to defend Vincent Cardoni, a surgeon accused of torturing and murdering nine people in the woods of Oregon. He claims his wife framed him, and on a technicality, he is released. Soon after, he mysteriously disappears. Fast forward four years, and Amanda is wiser and more experienced but still trying to develop her own identity as a crimin ...more
I like detective novels better than lawyer novels, but this is more serial killer mystery than trial and involves an interesting tale of a divorce gone horribly wrong.

(view spoiler)
Downloaded from

Narrator: Anna Fields
Publisher: Harper Audio, 2001
Length: 8 hours 30 min.

Publisher's Summary
In a mountain cabin, a detective opens a Pandora's box of horror that will haunt him to his dying day. Within hours, Vincent Cardoni - a brilliant surgeon with a history of violence and drug abuse - is arrested for the heinous crime. Facing a seemingly insurmountable wall of evidence, he turns to top criminal defense attorney Frank Jaffe and his daughter Amanda. Her first taste
It is a good plot that keeps you on your toes and makes you try to figure out the out come for quite a while. The plot is viewed through the eyes on the young lawyer which is a good angle. But the plot is so far fetched that the book loses its credibility: the srial killer you got high on torturing his victims while leading a perfectly normal life is a bit hard to swallow
I really wanted to like this book as I loved Gone, but not Forgotten.
This was sloppy and the author seemed to not have put much effort into the writing. I knew who the killer was before I hit 100 pages and that's usually not the case. The last 80 pages are great, unfortunately the 300 pages proceeding them aren't. I wouldn't recommend this one.
This was a very good high thriller book. I had trouble sleeping after reading this book because of some of the gruesome things that were a part of the plot. It was almost on the horror side of the scale for me. Very fast paced and some of the things that happened were unexpected. I did figure out who the real killer was just a little ways into the book, but that didn't detract from the plot or the final resolution.

This was not really a forensic book, because that part was just not explained. You
4 Stars for its genre - decent twists, although they were obviously coming. End was neatly wrapped up. Thought the character of Justine was a bit underdeveloped... two very different sides to her, but not sure which was the correct view. A little heavy on the idea of good intentions gone bad... but overall a good, quick read.
Diamond Cowboy
(Wild Justice) is a novel about the Portland OR police department tracking down a cereal killer, when their chief suspect disappears. The suspect reappears four years later and the killings begin again. Their are lots of twists and turns and it is a page turner throughout. To find out how it ends; You must read it!
Amanda Jaffee joins her father's law firm and finds herself helping her father defend a doctor who may be a serial killer. The Jaffees get the doctor freed on a technicality and the doctor disappears. A severed hand belonging to the doctor is later found and many assume he is dead. Is he? Four years later, the killings begin again and Amanda finds herself possibly in the path of the killer. Many readers will figure it out early on, but still fun to see how it unwinds and resolves.
Finally, Margolin is back on his game!

I've read Margolin's books since I came across The Burning Man but I've been sorely disappointed by many one of them since because they have never approached the power or the storytelling of that book.

While Wild Justice is very much different than The Burning Man , it is a great page turner. I found the story to be inventive, if not twisted. Although, I figured out who the killer was with about 100 pages to go, there were so many plot twists that I dou
I've not read a ton of horror or suspense books so I might not be an "expert" or anything like that. This book was an amazing read the choppy short chapters gave you time to rest when you couldn't read any longer. And the time I spent not reading I was trying to figure it all out. The story takes some major twist and the villain seems so obvious that it makes you think the author has something else in store with the rest of the book...and boy does he. I kept running through suspects in my head a ...more
This is apparently the first of more books about to appear about Amanda Jaffe, who is a young lawyer who is working for her father. It is somewhat confusing, as it is hard to tell who is the villain, and who killed whom. Still, it is interesting to read.
r. r.
This book premise has much promise, yet reaches too far. The characters aren't as well crafted as I'd prefer, there are some holes in the story, and the villain is too obvious about halfway thru the novel. This is the first Phillip Margolin I've read, and I'm not sold yet. Perhaps next time...
Michael Harrington
Theis is the third book by Margolin I have read. I really liked the first two, but this one is very similar to an earlier book--similar plot, copycat plot twists--just a rehash of another plot from an earlier book. I will still try another. He can be quite good.
This was a good court room thriller that kept me guessing as to who the serial killer was. Lots of twists and characters that keep you riveted. A bit graphic at times so if you get queasy with descriptions of killings hold on! This was the first book in the Amanda Jaffe series. I'm definitely going to read #2.
  • Unfit to Practice
  • The Hunt Club (Wyatt Hunt, #1)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Sly Fox: A Dani Fox Novel
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • Justice (Jessica Ford, #2)
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes

Amanda Jaffe (5 books)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)