Start by marking “Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization” as Want to Read:
Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization

Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Flesh and Stone is the story of the deepest parts of life—how women and men moved in public and private spaces, what they saw and heard, the smells that assailed them, where they ate, how they dressed, the mores of bathing and of making love—all in the architecture of stone and space from ancient Athens to modern New York.

Early in Flesh and Stone, Richard Sennett probes th
Published March 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Flesh and Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flesh and Stone

Beste Bal
kitabın hazırlıklarına Sennett ve Foucault birlikte girişmişler. eğer tamamlayabilselerdi elbette bambaşka bir kitap çıkardı ve ne muhteşem olurdu, fakat bu haliyle de oldukça zihin açıcı bir olmuş. elbette Sennett, ağırlığı 'şehir' üzerine çekmiş ama dilini bilenler için bu anlatısı oldukça farklı, kışkırtıcı, yeni bir görme biçimi. kent ve kentli ile derdi olanlar için kaçırılmaması gereken bir kitap. görsel açıdan da oldukça zengin olduğunu ekleyeyim.
Started reading Richard Sennett's Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization (New York: Norton, 1994) last week and realized quickly that the book is one of those monographs that I need to have in my own personal library. I have tried over the past few years to minimize my belongings. To reduce what I have, my material possessions to only those things that I use over and over again. Regarding books I have limited space, which forces me to decide about each monograph, its cont ...more
Rodrigo Vidal
La metodología del autor es brillante. Nada más que decir, capaz de realizar vinculaciones entre la concepción de ser humano y el uso del espacio desde un punto de vista sexual. ¿Qué más esperar si trabajó con Foucault en "Sexuality and soolitude"?
A book that will stay with you for life. Superb!
Richard Sennett deftly tackles a topic of considerable breadth in "Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization". Using primary and secondary sources, fiction and art, Sennett examines six cities at various historical moments in order to explore the development of the relationship between cities and the bodies of their residents. He identifies attitudes toward the self and the Other, towards comfort and pain, that manifest themselves in western urban culture and spaces and, in ...more

Al igual que las crucifixiones romanas, las ejecuciones cristianas pretendían dramatizar el poder del Estado para causar dolor. Las máquinas de matar como la rueda o el potro retrasaban la muerte todo lo posible para que el público pudiera ver cómo se desgarraban los músculos de la víctima y escuchar sus alaridos. A diferencia de las crucifixiones, prolongando el dolor las autoridades cristianas pretendían forzar a la víctima a confesar la enormidad de sus pecados antes de verse
Hakan Gülerce
perfect book on sociology of city
THIS BOOK CHANGED THE WAY I LOOK AT CITIES. I was introduced to Sennett's book by my "mentor", when he would quote this book in lectures on political and moral philosophy. It's so true - consider how structuring the city in the mindset of the contemporary view of the body; think about how living without clothes in public altered not just the political interaction, but urban design. Read this and you will never see big cities the same again.
Sennett makes a good case for seeing architecture as a social medium. His stories justify his theory. i heard an interview with Sennett on the CBC's Ideas program and he comes across as a writer truly interested in the human condition - we are who we are but what we build. Good read.
This book,by a friend of Foucault's is almost a god send. I love the introduction - the temporality of the body and the space of the city is a conversation that we need to understand constantly. Without doubt Sennett makes you flip pages, even somewhich are tedious. Love it.
Although not every section is convincingly tied to the thesis, they are all well told and intriguing stories in their own right. Richard Sennett is the best.
David Bird
I found this book a grave disappointment, with little substance, and much theory and self-satisfaction.
Ricardo Conte
Feb 09, 2011 Ricardo Conte is currently reading it
Still reading
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Gizem Ersöz
Gizem Ersöz is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Ceylan is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
Rachel Persad
Rachel Persad marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Olik0 is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
Rambutanhead marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Tanja Braun
Tanja Braun marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Rodrigo Lacy
Rodrigo Lacy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Matthew Tszen
Matthew Tszen marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Ultrared marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
  • The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo
  • Writings on Cities
  • The City Shaped: Urban Patterns and Meanings Through History
  • Space, Place, and Gender
  • Cities of Tomorrow: An Intellectual History of Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • The Hour of Our Death
  • The Cultural Studies Reader
  • Essential Works of Foucault (1954-84), Vol 2: Aesthetics, Method & Epistemology
  • The Ancient Greek Hero in 24 Hours
  • Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics
  • Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800 (Abridged, no footnotes)
  • Inventing the Individual: The Origins of Western Liberalism
  • The City in History: Its Origins, Its Transformations, and Its Prospects
  • The Arcades Project
  • Das Ornament Der Masse: Essays: Weimar Essays
  • Hegel in 90 Minutes
  • Tourist: A New Theory of the Leisure Class
Richard Sennett has explored how individuals and groups make social and cultural sense of material facts -- about the cities in which they live and about the labour they do. He focuses on how people can become competent interpreters of their own experience, despite the obstacles society may put in their way. His research entails ethnography, history, and social theory. As a social analyst, Mr. Sen ...more
More about Richard Sennett...