Start by marking “Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization” as Want to Read:
Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization

Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization

Flesh and Stone is the story of the deepest parts of life—how women and men moved in public and private spaces, what they saw and heard, the smells that assailed them, where they ate, how they dressed, the mores of bathing and of making love—all in the architecture of stone and space from ancient Athens to modern New York.

Early in Flesh and Stone, Richard Sennett probes th
Published March 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Flesh and Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flesh and Stone

Beste Bal
Sep 12, 2015 Beste Bal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kitabın hazırlıklarına Sennett ve Foucault birlikte girişmişler. eğer tamamlayabilselerdi elbette bambaşka bir kitap çıkardı ve ne muhteşem olurdu, fakat bu haliyle de oldukça zihin açıcı bir olmuş. elbette Sennett, ağırlığı 'şehir' üzerine çekmiş ama dilini bilenler için bu anlatısı oldukça farklı, kışkırtıcı, yeni bir görme biçimi. kent ve kentli ile derdi olanlar için kaçırılmaması gereken bir kitap. görsel açıdan da oldukça zengin olduğunu ekleyeyim.
Pablo Aguirre
Jun 01, 2016 Pablo Aguirre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excelente libro para aquellos interesados en saber como nacen las ciudades y sus componentes. Es interesante como muestra el cuerpo y la ciudad mezclados, en el nacimiento de distintos hábitos que iremos construyendo en las ciudades. Es llamativo también el origen de ejemplos como la ciudad de París y sus cambios. Es entretenido observar el avance del paisajismo y el nacimiento de las grandes ciudades.
Rodrigo Vidal
La metodología del autor es brillante. Nada más que decir, capaz de realizar vinculaciones entre la concepción de ser humano y el uso del espacio desde un punto de vista sexual. ¿Qué más esperar si trabajó con Foucault en "Sexuality and soolitude"?
Anna
Oct 27, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
A book that will stay with you for life. Superb!
Sara
Richard Sennett deftly tackles a topic of considerable breadth in "Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization". Using primary and secondary sources, fiction and art, Sennett examines six cities at various historical moments in order to explore the development of the relationship between cities and the bodies of their residents. He identifies attitudes toward the self and the Other, towards comfort and pain, that manifest themselves in western urban culture and spaces and, in ...more
Héctor
Apr 06, 2007 Héctor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUERTE ILUSTRADA

Al igual que las crucifixiones romanas, las ejecuciones cristianas pretendían dramatizar el poder del Estado para causar dolor. Las máquinas de matar como la rueda o el potro retrasaban la muerte todo lo posible para que el público pudiera ver cómo se desgarraban los músculos de la víctima y escuchar sus alaridos. A diferencia de las crucifixiones, prolongando el dolor las autoridades cristianas pretendían forzar a la víctima a confesar la enormidad de sus pecados antes de verse
Rj
Jan 27, 2015 Rj rated it it was amazing
Started reading Richard Sennett's Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization (New York: Norton, 1994) last week and realized quickly that the book is one of those monographs that I need to have in my own personal library. I have tried over the past few years to minimize my belongings. To reduce what I have, my material possessions to only those things that I use over and over again. Regarding books I have limited space, which forces me to decide about each monograph, its cont ...more
Blair
Aug 30, 2013 Blair rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK CHANGED THE WAY I LOOK AT CITIES. I was introduced to Sennett's book by my "mentor", when he would quote this book in lectures on political and moral philosophy. It's so true - consider how structuring the city in the mindset of the contemporary view of the body; think about how living without clothes in public altered not just the political interaction, but urban design. Read this and you will never see big cities the same again.
Swastee
Jul 30, 2013 Swastee rated it it was amazing
This book,by a friend of Foucault's is almost a god send. I love the introduction - the temporality of the body and the space of the city is a conversation that we need to understand constantly. Without doubt Sennett makes you flip pages, even somewhich are tedious. Love it.
David
Apr 27, 2011 David rated it liked it
Sennett makes a good case for seeing architecture as a social medium. His stories justify his theory. i heard an interview with Sennett on the CBC's Ideas program and he comes across as a writer truly interested in the human condition - we are who we are but what we build. Good read.
David Bird
Apr 21, 2013 David Bird rated it it was ok
I found this book a grave disappointment, with little substance, and much theory and self-satisfaction.
Frank Ashe
One of the books I'll have to reread when I write my magnum opus on the human condition. How do we connect the body and the city?
Rock
Feb 03, 2013 Rock rated it really liked it
Although not every section is convincingly tied to the thesis, they are all well told and intriguing stories in their own right. Richard Sennett is the best.
Adrian Iulita
Adrian Iulita rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Vagelis
Vagelis rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Marcos Dornelles
Marcos Dornelles rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Pedro Daher
Pedro Daher rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Günsu
Günsu rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Paulo A.
Paulo A. rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Neslihan
Neslihan rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Aki
Aki rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Emelie
Emelie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Pia Montealegre
Pia Montealegre rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Cat On ahottinroof
Cat On ahottinroof rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Alejandro Huerta
Alejandro Huerta rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Berna Labourdette
Berna Labourdette rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Lewis Dijkstra
Lewis Dijkstra rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
mert
mert rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo
  • Writings on Cities
  • The City Shaped: Urban Patterns and Meanings Through History
  • The Tourist Gaze: Leisure And Travel In Contemporary Societies
  • Cities of Tomorrow: An Intellectual History of Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century
  • Space, Place, and Gender
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • The Work of the Dead: A Cultural History of Mortal Remains
  • The Hour of Our Death
  • The Cultural Studies Reader
  • Essential Works of Foucault (1954-84), Vol 2: Aesthetics, Method & Epistemology
  • Charles Baudelaire: A Lyric Poet In The Era Of High Capitalism (The Verso Classics Series)
  • The City in History: Its Origins, Its Transformations, and Its Prospects
  • Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800 (Abridged, no footnotes)
  • The Ancient Greek Hero in 24 Hours
  • The Urban Experience
  • Birth, Marriage, and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England
  • Postmodern Geographies: The Reassertion of Space in Critical Social Theory
52077
Richard Sennett has explored how individuals and groups make social and cultural sense of material facts -- about the cities in which they live and about the labour they do. He focuses on how people can become competent interpreters of their own experience, despite the obstacles society may put in their way. His research entails ethnography, history, and social theory. As a social analyst, Mr. Sen ...more
More about Richard Sennett...