Start by marking “Vanished” as Want to Read:
Vanished

Vanished (Nick Heller #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  3,849 ratings  ·  423 reviews
The only one with any chance of finding Roger is his brother, Nick. A private spy trained in the Special Forces, Nick Heller specializes in digging up secrets that those of influence would rather keep hidden. He and Roger have been estranged for years, ever since a bitter scandal tore their family apart. But Nick will do anything to protect Lauren and his nephew—even if it ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Sue
Joseph Finder has done it again...written another amazing action packed thriller.The first chapter has lots of drama and suspense and sets the tone for the rest of the book. It starts out with Lauren and her husband Roger Heller going out to dinner. As they are walking out of the restaurant, Roger forgets his wallet. He turns to head back into the restaurant, when he hears Lauren call his name. The last thing Lauren remembers before she awakens in a hospital bed is Roger saying “Why her”? Now Ro ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Last Sunday, I shared with you a series of novels I thought would make you laugh and cringe at the same time. This week I have a novel for you that have recently been released in paperback, Joseph Finder’s Vanished. To say I am a fan is an understatement. I have read all his novels and always look forward to the next. So, if you wish, click off here, thinking I am a homer, see you tomorrow, maybe. Me being the Yankees fan I was raised to be, always can find something wrong with things in Boston, ...more
Stuart
Vanished by Joseph Finder: I was unimpressed with this book. It was OK, but, for me, somewhat formulaic. I read a review that encouraged me to read it; a new series by a thriller master. The new series features a Jack Bauer / Jack Ryan type of superhero, called Nick Heller. The story revolves around the brother of the hero who is the “vanished” of the title. At first the brother’s disappearance seems like a kidnapping, but it spirals into something much more complicated, which is a nice plot. Th ...more
gert
(same review for both books in the series, copied and pasted. because i'm lazy).

i read mostly romance, but am finding myself completely bored with most. so i sought out my other favourite books - suspense-ish. i came upon the nick heller series by accident, and am seriously resenting there being only TWO books! so damn good!

here's what you need to know:

- similar to jack reacher, but better. nick heller has a great sense of humour and is far more self-aware then dear jack.
- way smart - the story
Arapahoe Library District
One of my favorite corporate intrigue thrillers has long been Paranoia, and I'm terribly excited to tell you that this best selling author has done it again! In his new book, Mr. Finder introduces Nick Heller, an elite corporate intelligence specialist and former Special Services extraordinaire!

In California, Nick receives a frantic phone call from his fourteen year old nephew begging him to come to Washington D. C. immediately as his father has vanished without a trace, and his mother is in a c
Bernie Charbonneau

This was a very good thriller novel. Mr. Finder introduces us for the first time to Nick Heller, former American Special Forces soldier. Unlike some of the other novels that I have read with these type of special training characters, Mr. Finder, for me, has made his character more realistic. By this I mean that Heller is not portraid as this super hero, larger-than-life fighting machine.
The plot was well developed with enough twists in which, when you thought you had it figured out, nope, wrong
William Ramsay
Another thriller. I keep saying I don't generally read this sort of book and now I know why. I bought Vanished because I liked Finder's earlier book, Paranoid. Paranoid was original and fast moving with a hero I could relate to. Vanished is contrived and conceived, I think on a white board like so many TV shows. The main characters are super heroes or arch villains. This whole mess was a vast disappointment. This is why I generally avoid vest selling thrillers. I have to move on to something mor ...more
Jane Stewart
Really well done mystery. I was engaged all the way. But the audiobook narrator was annoying.

I loved the way Nick and the reader learn things and clues along the way. No tell-all at the end. There were many interesting things, like the way Nick repeatedly set off window alarms to get in a building. I liked what he did with a FedEx envelope. I liked what he did to a key card. I liked how Nick learned something about Roger by what the father accidentally said.

Someone compared Nick Heller to Jack R
Ron Hummer
In the beginning, Lauren and Roger Heller are out for dinner when they are attacked by several men. Lauren wakes up in the hospital and finds out that her husband has vanished.
This is the first novel in a series by Joseph Finder featuring Nick Heller, a private spy who has experience in the special forces. Lauren will ask Nick to track down her husband. With some clues, Nick will make every effort to find his brother and unravel the mystery of his disappearance.
The story is more intriguing
James
This is the beginning of a new series, featuring Nick Heller. Nick was trained in the Special Forces and took those skills into the rough and tumble world of the private intelligence investigator. He is tough, smart, and stubborn. He needs those traits as he exposes secrets that powerful people would rather keep hidden. He is a guy that you want on your side in any problem.

As the plot opens, Nick is on a routine(?) assignment looking for a stolen air transent shipment. What he discovers is a pa
Tony
Joseph Finder- Vanished (St. Martin’s Press 2010) 4.25 Stars

Nick Heller’s brother was grabbed outside of a downtown restaurant and Nick’s nephew, Gabe, has asked for his help in finding his dad. Special Forces training and a job as a spy for hire has prepared him for a moment just like this. He intends to locate his brother no matter what secrets he must uncover and what scandals he will unearth. He will find out just how little he really knows about his brother and that he may not be so innocen
Kristin
Please allow me to emphasize, I read this as an audiobook. Much of my impressions may have been influenced by the narrator - audiobooks are like that. A mediocre book can become stellar by a voice, and stellar book can be tedious.

This was a interesting book with a narrator who's voice bugged me, the result of which more often than not I was left sniggering and snickering at the book or banging my fists against the steering wheel in frustration. My main contention was with the female character -
Jerome
Boring, easy to put down, but less easy to finish.

Heller works alone until he needs help. Then he picks up his cell-phone, and much like reaching into a tool-box to find what he needs, dials a number - demolitions expert, computer genius, security expert - they're all one phone call away.

Heller can also become a one man army when necessary. Up against a Blackwater-like security/military firm, Heller decides to go right to the top and break into the CEO's isolated secure compound, for a one-on-on
Julie Davis
Where did I first hear of this? I'd have thought Brandywine Books which keeps my mystery/thriller "to read" list filled. But I don't see it there in my extremely casual search. Perhaps it was via The Curt Jester.

Wherever I found it, I am enjoying it a lot so far in these first few chapters. Here's some of the description.
Nick Heller is tough, smart, and stubborn. And in his line of work, it's essential. Trained in the Special Forces, Nick is a high-powered intelligence investigator--exposing sec
Michael
Lauren Heller is attacked after she and her husband Roger were out to dinner. When she wakes up in the hospital she finds that Roger has disappeared.

Nick Heller is Roger's brother and although he and Roger haven't spoken in years, he is fond of Lauren and her son, Gabe.

When they ask for Nick's help, he agrees and finds that Roger works as the CFO of a corporation and investigates corruption. He's found something, according to Lauren and she thinks he may have been kidnapped.

When Nick investigate
Donna
This was my first Joseph Finder book, so I did not know what to expect from this author. I would have to say that Vanished was an average read, neither good nor bad storytelling. I liked the main character, Nick Heller, though it would have been nice to see a bit of his personal life and to know what he was feeling at times. His sister-in-law Lauren was fairly one dimensional and annoying with all the secrets she was keeping that seemed necessary to drag the story out. His nephew, Gabe, was on t ...more
SueEllen
My first Joseph Finder novel and I was not impressed. The intrigue started out quickly but became easy to put down. I liked the protagonist, Nick Heller. His character’s background and sarcastic tone are what kept me going through the beginning of the book. However, I was distrustful of the victims from the beginning especially the female character. I do not enjoy reading about women who seemed to do everything possible to make their situation worse…well, except Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum ...more
Daniel Rudge
I know that Joseph Finder has won awards for some of his previous books. However, this book was just so frustrating to read I couldn't give it a very good rating. On the one hand, the books opening ensures that this will be a pulse pounding thriller. A man, Roger Heller and his wife Lauren have just finished dinner at a Georgetown restaurant. Roger has forgotten his keys at the restaurant and goes to retrieve them. His wife is brutally attacked and just before she passes out Roger is heard to sa ...more
Joe
After eight stand-alone books, and at least to this reader, a steady decline with each subsequent release, this author has started a series with Vanished and has hit rock bottom. The protagonist, Nick Heller, is ex-Army Special Services now working in the private sector. Nick is a very obvious and unfortunately, a very poor caricature of Lee Child’s protagonist Jack Reacher.

While Reacher is a loner, Heller works alone until he needs help. Then he picks up his cell-phone, and much like reaching i
Patricia
This first entry in Finder’s Nick Heller series is as impressive in what it is not as in what it is. To begin with, this mystery is not a romantic suspense. There is no female counterpart to our male protagonist, no girlfriend or male partner in the background, not a single sex scene, not even a kiss. Next, while the setting for most of the action is Washington, DC and its Maryland suburbs, the story is about corporate espionage, not political intrigue. And finally, our protagonist has a lot of ...more
Judi
Really enjoyed this one..

First in a series featuring Nick Heller. Nick was in the Special Forces and is working with a security firm..I love his interaction with others..He is a character much like Jack Reacher..always love his "come backs"

Nick receives a call from his nephew, Gabe, that his father (Nicks' brother) is missing and his mother is in the hospital in a coma..
Lauren and Roger were returning to their car after a night out, Roger left the keys in the restaurant and turns to go, someone
Darren
I love thrillers. I have usually shied away from “Corporate Thrillers” but thanks to Joseph Finder, my views have changed.
This is the first book in the Nick Heller series. He is called by his nephew to look into the attack on his mother and the disappearance of his father. Nick in an investigator for Stoddard Associates and he is the best at what he does. Sometimes the problem is he is too good at what he does. He looks for answers even after the job is done. He is going to need every bit of hi
Jason
Joseph Finder gets better and better, as I consider "Vanished" his best work yet. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to reading more Finder novels for quite some time. I'm glad to have picked up "Vanished" recently. This book debuts the Nick Heller series.

Heller works as an investigator for the company Stoddard Associates. The second son of a formerly wealthy finance guru-turned-jailbird, Heller accumulated quite a background, including time with the Special Forces. Heller, while possessing
Sharon
Well this was a pretty good book. I've wanted to read this book since it came out and I finally got a copy. It's about a guy who's looking for his brother who apparently "vanished" after him and his wife were attacked in a parking lot after eating dinner out one night but things aren't always as they appear and Joseph Finder delivers all the twists you can imagine in one intense plot.

Yes, I recommend!
JoAnn/QuAppelle
A quick and compelling read from first page to last. Some of the business talk left me glassy-eyed (i wonder if all the detail was really necessary) and there were a few mistakes (a woman whose body was totally wrapped up in duct tape had defensive wounds on her hands -- no way!). But otherwise, it was a good thriller that kept me guessing.
Raymond
This novel is too much involved with an intricately clandestine mergers and acquisitions plot for my taste! There is an incident near the ending where some of the characters are drinking that special Dr Pepper that was bottled in Dublin, Texas - they would be disappointed now that Snapple supposedly has that contract.
Chrismpadgett Padgett
I did like this book. Looking forward to reading more about Nick Heller!! My only complaint was that I felt like the end was a little predictable for me, but that may be simply because I've read a lot of thriller/ books. Finder's style is easy and really enjoyable.
D
Unfortunately I didn't write a review of this book back when I finished it on 10/9/2011. But I recall it was a real page turner and got me hooked on Nick Heller's character and author Joseph Finder.

Nick Heller's sister in law is attacked and put in the hospital and his brother disappears. Nick tries to help her and his teenage nephew, but as he starts to look into the matter, he realizes there's something very fishy going on.

Turns out his brother is in way over his head with some scary defense c
Ryan Rauber
Another exciting Joseph Finder thriller, at least for the first half anyway. Roger Heller and his wife are attacked after a night out in Georgetown, where Roger is apparently kidnapped and his wife is in a coma in the hospital. Her son Gabe calls Roger's brother Nick, who is an intelligence investigator. In true Joseph Finder fashion, as Nick's investigation into the crime goes deeper, the more he discovers that this is no simple kidnapping case.

As I stated before, I really enjoyed the first ha
Wow!! Great!! 8 38 Dec 17, 2011 06:59AM
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • Inside Out (Ben Treven, #2)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • The First Rule (Joe Pike, #2)
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Silence (Jack Till, #1)
  • The First Billion
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...
Paranoia Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2) Company Man Power Play Killer Instinct

“parks in space 36, right? That’s” 0 likes
“You know what I always say—never let an asshole rent space in your head.” 0 likes