The Goblin Gate (Goblin Wood, #2)

The Goblin Gate (Goblin Wood #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Jeriah's brother, Tobin, is in terrible danger.

He's willingly crossed over to the Otherworld with a hedgewitchnamed Makenna and her legion of goblins. What Tobin doesn’t know is that the Otherworld is a perilous dimension thatleeches magic from those who have it—and life from those who don’t. In order to save his brother, Jeriah must find a way to open a mystical gate betw...more
Published October 12th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published September 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Goblin Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goblin Gate

Becca-Rawr
Aug 19, 2011 Becca-Rawr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: High Fantasty Fans
Story time!

Several years ago I used to be in a magical place called Middle School. It sucked. Aside from the book fair that came twice a year. I'd load up my pockets with money, skip lunch to peruse the shelves, and come home loaded with books. One of these books, oh so many years ago, was the first book in this series The Goblin Wood.

I read the book quickly and rather enjoyed it, it having satisfied my pre-teen self, and concluded it wasn't all that bad of a story. It wasn't a favorite, but it...more
Ms. Library
So, I will start off with the negatives here. I think this is obviously aimed at a younger audience, which isn’t necessarily a negative, but it is something I noticed. It is fairly basic prose, which can sometimes get a little tiring. There were also a lot of exclamation marks, and that often made it seem more juvenile. They weren’t really necessary.

However, I still really enjoyed this. Its just a fun story. There’s something about this that just caught my attention, and I really appreciate the...more
Samantha
The sorceress, along with her goblins, have vanished into the Otherworld. The one thing Jeriah wasn’t expecting was for his brother, Tobin, to follow after them. Tobin is hailed a hero, sacrificing his life for the cause. And, as Jeriah learns, sacrificing his life is right, for the Otherworld drains all magic from those who venture there, and for those without magic, such as Tobin, it slowly kills them. But as much as Jeriah wants to rescue his brother, there is nothing anyone is willing to do,...more
Lisette Sanchez
Valerie
My summary:

Jeriah started this terrible mess that led to his brother going to the Otherworld with the hedgewitch, Makenna. He has to fix it. But fixing it is impossible. No one will help him. The Priest who could open the gate is more interesting in relocating the realm and doesn’t care that Jeriah bother Tobin will die in the Otherworld. He watches Jeriah and prevents his every effort to help his brother. Jeriah’s father believes him useless and considers Tobins death to be inevitable. Jeriah’s...more
Orchid
Review taken from my blog, The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia.

First Sentence:

"It will be dawn soon," Jeriah told the priest who rode beside him.

After quickly devouring The Goblin Wood I had to read The Goblin Gate, which meant putting off a couple of review books for a day. I know, bad blogger, but I needed to know what would happen next and couldn't imagine waiting to start it.
Did it live up to my expectations, yes. Was it just as good as the first books, yes. Although I did not love it as much...more
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
I knew I had to read this book after finishing The Goblin Wood, which I read on day 18. I was a bit disappointed that the protagonist of The Goblin Gate was Jeriah. I didn’t really like him in the first book. Though I liked him better in this book, it irritated me that he was always whining about getting his brother back. Whining to people about it isn’t going to convince them to change their minds about helping you. Convince them without whining.

We do get to see more of Makenna and Tobin in the...more
Beth
I love Hilari Bell, and I loved The Goblin Wood - but this book suffered from middle-book syndrome, in that it felt as though it merely existed to set up the last book in the series. It's an enjoyable read because the plot is well paced and the book is cleanly written, but at the end it felt like a bit of a letdown. I will say, though, that Hilari Bell made me like Jeriah, which I'd never thought could happen.

That's the best part of this book, and it's something that's equally well done in The G...more
Teresa
This book was monotonous and boring a complete let down compared to the first book The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1) by Hilari Bell. If it weren't for Cogswhallop and Daroo showing up I would have stopped reading. The book was setup with the chapters being about Jeriah trying to find Master Lazur's spell notes on opening the gate to the Otherworld and "Interludes" at the end only a few pages long about Makenna and Tobin in the Otherworld. The Otherworld was so much more interesting, the book should have been more about the Goblins adventures...more
Karin
Sequel to the Goblin Wood, which I read so long ago that I'd forgotten most of it. Jeriah tries to rescue his brother Tobin from the Otherworld (where he escaped to with Makenna the hedgewitch and a bunch of goblins at the end of the previous book). He feels responsible for some family disgrace and is one of the few people that know his brother will die if not brought back quickly. Lots of court politics make this a little confusing, but the goblin characters are great. Not fully resolved - hope...more
Definitely not as good as the first book. Actually, the whole premise of this book seems forced - Makenna and Tobin are stuck in a land that's going to kill them, and now Jeriah has to save them, but first he has to contend with the evil Master Lazur. Ok, once you get past the premise, Jeriah's adventures do seem interesting. I think the magic of the first book was in the ending that was resolved, but not quite resolved - this one just ends with an obvious cliff hanger. Ugh, now I have to wait t...more
Dawn
I didn't know if I'd like this second book as well, since the main character changed to Tobin's younger brother, Jeriah. But I may have even liked it better! There is a lot of court intrigue and political manuevering in the book, and Jeriah must survive long enough to figure out what is really going on and how to save his brother. Hilari Bell is very good at character development and she weaves a compelling story. And I must say, the goblins are delightful.
Phyllis Colucci
Liked it well enough but I am a fantasy freak ready to move on to Outlander just got it from digital library
Conrad Andersen
A very interesting, engaging, and hard to put down book, I read it each night starting at 10:00, I only planned to read for an hour a night but found myself staying up until the early hours of the morning engrossed in what was going to happen next. The pace of the book was fast, just the way I like it, and kept it interesting the entire way through. Not many bad things I can say about this book, it's a solid read
Erin
Though it's Tobin's little brother narrating this one, not Tobin, I surprisingly didn't mind (and may like Jeriah more than Tobin, just cuz he's a little less stick-up-his...nose.). I loved seeing characters from book one in a different light, and one new character that stood out amazingly (Koryn, I think, is how she spelled it...).

**The Goblin Gate, rated 12+, rated 4.3/5 stars.
Samantha Jacobus
Reads more like a second part in a three part book. Lovely read to pass the time, entertaining, mostly well crafted; a suitable coming of age story seeded with goblins, magic, daring heroes, practical heroines and brothers, politics, and danger. It didn't leave me perched on the edge of my seat or pledging undying love for the characters or author, but it made me happy anyway.
Fred Dickson
The first in the series is so great I wasn't terribly surprised when this wasn't as good. However, it was still a very entertaining read and I'm excited for the conclusion. I was so glad Cogswhallop was in this book as well, my favorite character. I didn't like Jeriah as much as I did Makenna as a storyteller, but don't let it keep you from reading the whole series.
Hasan awawdeh
I think the book was really good. The story and the description of the characters, make the book so good! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes books with supernatural creatures. The way the author is speaking in the story lets you know how everyone feels in this story. Which makes the outcome way better.
It was okay. I really like her ideas. It's amazing that she's tackling such a large problem with the series, but she's only taking it step by step, book by book. She has really great surprise endings, too. I want to see where she takes it in the next book, but I still think she uses too many exclamation points!
Intisar Khanani
The second book in the Goblin Wood trilogy. There's less innocence than the first book, and it moves a little slow, but as with all of Bell's books I've read, there are some deep themes and great character development. I'm looking forward to cracking open Book 3.
Tina
Eh. It was, as Zack would say, a book two. Longer than it needed to be, plot-light way of connecting the first and third books. Most of my favorite characters had very small roles.

Third book (which I'm already 100 pages into) is much better so far.
Cat
I think I would have liked this a lot more had I read the first book. Didn't realize it was a sequel when I got it. I just couldn't relate to the characters enough. Of course that being said, I rather want to find out what happens in the next book!
Wendy
At first I was disappointed not to see as much of Makenna & Tobin in this book, but Jeriah quickly won me over. Both the political intrigue and the characters caught & sustained my interest well.
Paul-Baptiste
A very good sequel to the Goblin Wood. Nice plot twists that keep the story interesting - though still obviously aimed at a young-adult audience. A good, easy fantasy read.
Craig
A very bad case of middle-book-of-a-trilogy syndrome. Slow, with much of the activity seemingly fairly pointless as it sets up the concluding title.
Jamie
More like 4 1/2 stars - I thought it was much stronger than the first one and want the third one now.
Brittney Bower
looks like the world kingdon? whatever is, i sgoing to rethink there assestment of goblins retty soon.
Bri
I enjoyed it. Though I really hate having to wait several years for the next one to come out.
Amanda Lee
Interesting to read, but definitely suffers from middle book syndrome.
Christina Super
I had read this so long ago that I forgot that there was a second one.
  • My Life with the Lincolns
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Stealing Air
  • The Ruby Notebook (Notebook, #2)
  • Second Impact
  • The War within These Walls
  • Chasing Tail Lights
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • The Mist-Torn Witches (The Mist-Torn Witches #1)
  • Runner
  • Freshman
  • Avengers Arena, Vol. 2: Game On
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #3)
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the pict...more
More about Hilari Bell...
Fall of a Kingdom (The Farsala Trilogy, #1) Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2) Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3) The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1) The Last Knight (Knight and Rogue, #1)