The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob (Oxford World's Classics)
Open Preview read book

The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob (Oxford World's Classics)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  21 reviews
First published in Blackwood's Magazine in 1859, "The Lifted Veil" is now one of George Eliot's most widely read and critically discussed short stories. A dark fantasy drawing on contemporary scientific interest in the physiology of the brain, mesmerism, phrenology, and experiments in revification, it is Eliot's anatomy of her own moral philosophy. Narrated by an egocentri...more
Published November 11th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob

Paul Blakemore
This book didn't feel like George Eliot when I read it. It has almost a sci-fi feel to it - and a sullen protagonist who narrates a claustrophobic and grim tale of a man cursed with a vision into the hidden thoughts of those around him.

It's interesting to view this as a slightly gothic-feeling counterpoint to Middlemarch, a book concerned with understanding the inner workings of ordinary people and their often painful actions, whereas here we have a slightly macabre thought experiment into what...more
Victoria
The power relation between Latimer and Bertha in George Eliot’s The Lifted Veil is not presented as stagnant, but as a changing entity. Latimer, a character of profound interiority, and Bertha, a character rooted in exteriority, are the fixtures between which the shifting power relation festers. Latimer, the narrator of The Lifted Veil, possesses the supernatural abilities of clairvoyance and telepathy, and forms an inextricable bond with Bertha. He recognizes and attributes an attractive power...more
Pamela
After years of re- and rereading George Eliot's major books--Middlemarch, Daniel Deronda, etc.--I wanted to experience some of her more minor works. The two novellas in this volume are engrossing and and enjoyable examples of Eliot working in somewhat different veins than I previously seen. In "The Lifted Veil," it's the supernatural: a young man is tormented by his ability to hear the thoughts of those around him. The narrative amounts to a persuasive argument that our pleasure and sense of mea...more
Kris
A rather odd pairing of two tales. The first had a romantic Frankenstein-esque feel to it, a kind of prose I like reading, entertaining a suspension of disbelief. It was a nice short little story, gothic and tragic, with a great ending.
I felt The Lifted Veil was better than Brother Jacob, but both are very prose heavy, with only rare spurts of dialogue. Brother Jacob is much more humorous and derisive than The Lifted Veil. The first and second chapters at first seem irreconcilable, appearing to...more
Melike
It was quite interesting to read something like this from the realist writer of the Victorian period.
Nov 21, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Victorian Gothic
Recommended to Laura by: professor
I love Eliot's gritty realism in such works as Mill on the Floss, not to mention her acute perceptions into country life as in Scenes of Clerical Life. Well, I lover her penchant for the mysterious and Gothic even better! The Lifted Veil reads like Mary Shelley and R.L. Stevenson rolled into one; there is so much packed into this short story that I sense several potential term papers stemming from it. Haven't had this much fun with educational reading in a long while!

Hopefully, Brother Jacob wi...more
Micha
George Eliot does it again. This is wonderfully creepy and of course brilliantly written. Reading it for class I used two colours of tabs as markers, one for things relevant to the seminar, another just for the bits I particularly liked. The blood transfusion scene is so clear in my mind and so creepy that the pseudo-science of it doesn't even matter.
K' Lati
Latimer is the weak main charecter of the book and can see into his future. He ends up with his brothers fiance after his death and after years of unhappy marrige he finds her plotting his death.

It seems like the moral of the story is that it's not always good to know what's going to happen to you but it can also save your life.
Sue Thornquist
A nice change from the heavy reading of ROMOLA, though Eliot is never a completely easy read and I enjoyed the literary challenge. I really liked the humor and irony of "Brother Jacob" and "Lifted Veil" reminded me of a Victorian E. A. Poe. Thoroughly worth it though I'm not sure I understand what it all means!
Wildbanana.kimli
The illusion of Prague is one of the most beautiful descriptions of a city I have ever read. Incredibly beautiful and sensitive. Even though there are bad things happen in the book, Eliot managed to throw a rosy tone in the narration. Very poetic.
Alyson Bowers
Eliot's short stories are just as great and poignant. Even harder to forget is the way how she depicts Jacob (as trite, and old-fashioned as her deipction of a mentally handicapped person should be) and his central role in the story.
Pedram
A short story about a man who, despite supposedly able to see his future, cannot avoid it. Explores the limits of realistic fiction with touches if Gothic spookiness.
Rebecca
Tis about a person doomed to hear other's thoughts. Seemed a metaphor for George Eliot's relentless psychological clairvoyance.
Katharine
The Lifted Veil is the more gothic and emo than I thought George Eliot could ever be. Interesting, but slight.
Willow
The Lifted Veil was very good but Brother Jacob was a little dull and lacked the build-up that Eliot's work normally has.
Dsbkirkland
Short, fun and spooky. Reluctantly published in its day due to the paranormal subject matter.
Excellent! Eliot's excursions into science are frightening in their intensity.
Carly
for book club. kind of hilariously ineffective second sight.
Brenda
Weird. Paranormal stories creep me out.
Lauren
cynical story, but really interesting.
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Firas Al-Eshoush
Firas Al-Eshoush marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Rob Gleich
Rob Gleich marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Zuzana
Zuzana marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lauren Riney
Lauren Riney marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Vicar Of Bullhampton
  • Tales of Angria
  • Life's Little Ironies
  • Aurora Floyd
  • Miss Marjoribanks
  • The Dead Secret
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes & Misfortunes, His Friends & His Greatest Enemy
  • Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters
  • Gothic Tales
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe...more
More about George Eliot...
Middlemarch Silas Marner The Mill on the Floss Adam Bede Daniel Deronda