Start by marking “Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class” as Want to Read:
Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class

Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Sweat, strain, laugh, and do more for your health, body, and general well-being than you even imagined possible as you take your beginning yoga class from Bikram. For more than twenty years, Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class has been among the preeminent and most beloved of all yoga guides-and now it has been revised and updated by Bikram, with virtually all-new photographs an ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 224 pages
Published August 7th 2000 by Tarcher (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class

Melissa Ann
I loved this book! I just started doing Bikram yoga and bough this book to assist me in understanding the postures. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I liked the chatty style of the book. It is supposed to make you feel like you're right there in class and, for me, it did just that. It is obvious from the similarity in style of my various instructors that Bikram wants his teachers to say certain things in a certain way. (Anyone who has been doing Bikram will probably know what I mean). This bo ...more
Sara
I started doing "Bikram yoga" several times a week a few months ago, and got this book to gain more instruction on how to attempt different poses. This is what it claims to be: a beginner's guide to the unique sequence of yoga postures that Bikram Choudhury has been teaching in Los Angeles since the seventies. I did find many of the tips in this book to be helpful and gained a better understanding of why these particular postures were chosen and put in this particular order. It was also helpful ...more
David
This book explains and instructs students on how to perform the 26 pose in Bikram's Hatha Yoga program. This curriculum of his has become a standard among hot yoga schools in the United States, having the reputation of helping to alleviate all manner of chronic health problems and to promote strength and well being. I found this book to be useful in helping cement my understanding of the sequence and basics of these postures and to augment what I've been hearing in classes about each pose for th ...more
Tine!
3.5 stars. Read over the last couple of months before and after actual Bikram yoga classes at my neighborhood dojo (can I call it a dojo? "Dojo, casino...it's all in the mind" - Chop Chop Master Onion of Parappa the Rapper fame). Extremely helpful to read while doing the practice, especially if you don't have the money/the desire to go visit Bikram himself. Regardless of his human failings, he has an extremely good grasp of anatomy and a, yes, quirky sense of humour that will help you lighten an ...more
Robin
Dug this book out after recently deciding to do some yoga at home to alleviate anxiety. Though the pictures are old and it is corny in places, I did find it to be more thorough regarding each pose than any other book I have seen. I cannot do some of these - scared to even try others - but still a very comprehensive array of poses and good instructions for each. Also, he gives the hope that one day, with practice, most can be achieved.
Maria Jennifer
Its not only my point of view that the Yogiraj,Bikram Choudhury's 26 Yoga posture are some of the good inventions of him.It helped many people to recover from their problems both mentally amd physically.His yoga helped me to remain in healthy from the past 2 years. He is really a good master.
Have a look on this..
Angelina David
Myself Angelina David, one of the followers of Bikram choudhury's Book and obviously him's too.It had been 1 years ago I started to concentrate on the yoga by Bikram Choudhury and I was feeling proud that I am one of the students of him .But When I got transfer in some another branch under the same company where i am working for a long time, I was in a dilemma as there was a chance to pause my classes.So I directly consulted him to sort it out and there he really surprised me by giving his own y ...more
Kathleen
This book is pretty ridiculous. I'm glad that I read it, because I realized that I have been doing the Bikram sit-up wrong for about 6 years now. But other than that...
I don't know why, but the intro to every posture is supposed to be Bikram talking to his students in the class. This is the part that weirded me out. First of all, Bikram alternated from speaking in perfect English to talking in the way a racist might impersonate an Asian person. What is that about? It's perfect English for paragr
Barb
Jun 19, 2007 Barb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in bikram yoga
not only is there good info for all the postures for those of us (especially beginners) who can't catch everything in the dialogue during class, but there are a number of asides from students that are quite revealing and motivational. to do this kind of yoga regularly, it really does take some motivation at times. lots of good pictures of how the poses should look, and how they're more likely to look for your first several weeks/months/years.

also, bikram is hilarious. i laughed out loud a lot wh
Margaret
On the third page Bikram tries to get into the mind of someone attending one of his classes for the first time. This involves noticing how many of the female practitioners aren't wearing panties under their leotards. Also, boners. No thank you.
Kristen
As a newbie to Bikram yoga, this is really helpful. I enjoyed looking at the poses and how they are supposed to look. I also really enjoy the ideal/realistic versions of the postures for a new person. As someone who really, really struggles in certain postures (Fixed Firm Pose and Triangle Pose, I'm looking at you), it's nice to see how I should be making slight modifications until my body is ready to fully go into those poses.

Bikram is pretty funny, as well, although I think I'd be waaaaay too
Chava
The text is all but useless, but the book works very well as a visual reference. I took Bikram classes a few years ago and found that the poses in the book were precisely the ones done in class; even the instructors' guidance and prompts are found here. It is thus in the entire Bikram yoga cartel/factory.

Nevertheless, I can only do asanas at home that I have actually done in a class setting and therefore am glad to have the book. (The impossibly overheated room makes little sense to me so I igno
Kellee
I read this book the first week into my yoga practice. While it does help yogis to understand the postures better than just the dialogue they hear in class, the photos could definitely use some updating. The book is supposed to read like you are standing in a class with other students who give their two cents here and there, with ridiculous comments and broken English. While I find it the book overall amusing, I do wish there were better quality photos to help guide those without any former yoga ...more
Azlin Bloor
I discovered this book in 1995 and have been hooked on Bikram's Yoga since then. While I have a few of his other books, this is the one I find the most indispensable. Its details in how to perform each pose are amazing! Not only does he provide you with step by step (and half steps!), he also gives you a "reality" version, i.e., as a beginner what you are probably going to be doing! This is extremely helpful as he then advises you on what you need to do to progress.
Couldn't recommend it more!
Lisa Stefanik
Given my new obsession with hot yoga, this book was worth having from the library for two weeks. I enjoyed the old-school leotard pictures for entertainment value, and did find some other value in seeing pictures of poses that I still can not do (aka I better understand what to strive for eventually). However, I found the text much less valuable, as Bikram and I definitely approach life/yoga/fitness using different philosophies. I expected to find more open-mindedness between these covers.
Kelly
the suggestive yoga pose photos in this book are hilarious but the message behind them is extremely useful. Spurred on by several dedicated bikram students, I started my foray into bikram yoga through this book. Its very good at describing each pose in both the ideal form and the expected beginner form and how to get into each position, what to concentrate on etc. Id recommend this book to anyone interested in starting yoga outside of a class, or those doing research on 1970s leotards.
Bridget
Bikram seems like a bit of a nutter and this book is filled with A LOT of extra stuff about the people in the class and their personal lives that I could have done without. But, I wanted to read the book to see if I was doing the poses correctly and to try to understand how the poses would help me in the long run. In this, the book succeeded. I think it will be a good reference guide for me in the future if I ever forget or want to check proper posture.
Lisa Houlihan
The bad photographs show an "ideal" and a "realistic" approximation of each pose -- but not for all, and not for the various stages of many, and most often not at all for "realistic." The poses in the "ideal" photographs didn't match the textual descriptions. Also I am really glad I never had him as an instructor, because if this depicts sense of humor accurately, I might almost prefer to listen to Car Talk. Well, no. Never. But the monomania is similar.
Bryan
May 29, 2011 Bryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
This book is probably only worth reading if you are a yoga nerd or want to know what you are getting yourself into if your friend convinces you that you "got to do this Bikram Yoga.” I found it funny and refreshing to hear yoga discussed in such a sarcastic tone. A word of caution regarding some of the pose suggestions, they seemed very dangerous, and you should never do a pose that hurts you, it is OK to feel discomfort but not pain.
Christian
There is not much to say about this book because if you know Bikram and Bikram Yoga, you know what to expect. This book is written exactly as Bikram holds his own classes. I really enjoyed reading it because you can actually hear him talk as you read some of the paragraphs.

What I was missing was a little bit more of the science and medicine behind it, but I guess it adds to the fascination if it is not analyzed to the last asana :-)
Alexis
I've been doing Bikram Yoga four times a week for about a month and a half. I'm really enjoying the class. The teachers provide great instruction and motivation, but the book provided a level of humor and detail about the poses that have improved my practice and given me insight into the philosophy and perspective of the man behind the class. Highly recommended for anyone practicing and for anyone curious about practicing!
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is learning yoga postures
Recommended to Heather by: Gruffie
This book has helped me more with my yoga practice than any other I've used. It shows the "ideal" pose next to pictures of real people working out the beginning stages and explains in great detail how to do them. The book also has very humorous exerpts from class members as well as helpful(?) comments from Bikram. I feel as though I'm in the class being exhorted to work just a little harder.
Kris
I went home and only got through 2 of the poses in this book last night! Ach! I have along way to go before I will take it out into public.
20 breaths!

2nd posting:
I love how this book is written, easy for the "lay" person to read. I have been practising the poses and although most of them are beyond my ability, I hope someday to have enough confidence to enter a hot room session.
Colleen
I would've given this book a full five stars for the wonderful information it contains but having the stories in between each posture really detracts from the book overall. Even in those sections, there is valuable information but the presentation is a little annoying. With better editing and less story-telling this could be an even greater book.
Kate
An interesting version of a Bikram yoga class. It's written exactly, as I'd imagine, Bikram himself actually talks thru a class, which makes for more interesting reading than most instructional yoga books. Lots of great tips that make you think about correct form and maintaining your poses correctly.
Grace Dadoyan
Explains all 26 postures and discusses the benefits of each one. Also testimonials from class members and a few pics of some of his students doing the same pose 25 years later. Those pics alone show what a regular practice can do. Good book for anyone taking Bikram yoga or considering taking it.
Kandice
Doesn't provide much more information than the standard dialogue, but it is helpful to be able to read and process the information outside of the hot room. The pictures are certainly useful, and I appreciated being able to use the index to find postures based on their benefits.
Desiree
Worst yoga book ever. It was written terribly, and the delivery felt forced and insincere. I am sure there are plenty of other books that better describe Bikram's theory. This one was just a massage to his ego, and made me hate him. Even though I really do enjoy hot yoga.
Lisa
For those who are interested in taking a Bikram Yoga class or who have and wanted more direction, this is the book for you. Bikram provides a humorous and engaging means of explaining each posture (both how the posture should be performed and identifies common errors).
Elizabeth
This book has helped me so much with me yoga practice. Not only are the picture awesome ( and from the 70s) but it has a "reality" section for each asana, telling how most people do each pose at first and how to correct mistakes commonly made.
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation
  • Science of Breath
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga
  • The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment Bikram Yoga Bikram-Yoga: Der Weg zu Gesundheit und innerer Zufriedenheit