Start by marking “Louder Than Words: Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence” as Want to Read:

Louder Than Words takes us from an understanding of nonverbal behavior to an understanding of something far more valuable for success—nonverbal intelligence.” — Robert B. Cialdini, author of Influence: Science and Practice

“Joe Navarro brings together the art and science of nonverbal communications for the business sector with the edge of a former FBI agent and the insight
Published February 16th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Louder Than Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louder Than Words

Aug 13, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
If you've read the author's other book "What Every BODY Is Saying," you'll find some repetition in the beginning of this book. This book is exactly what its title purport it to be - take your career from average to exceptional. Many of the observations that the author makes about businesses and individuals are obvious, like customers get upset when there's only one cashier to handle a long line and when another worker is called, the worker strolls to his station. Managers should be training thei ...more
Harry Roger Williams III
Dec 18, 2010 Harry Roger Williams III rated it really liked it
On page 200 in a section that begins on page 199, “Address Emotions, But Don’t Indulge Them,” Navarro writes “Misery really does love company: excessive emoters distract others, focusing attention on themselves, as coworkers feel they must demonstrate empathy and solidarity. Work is disrupted, and others may even act on the beleaguered employee’s behalf to try to fix things. Not surprisingly, this further entrenches the behavior.” This kind of insight and wise counsel elevates this book far abov ...more
Oct 04, 2011 Gary rated it it was amazing
This book is a great follow-up to "What Every Body is Saying", but don't read this one until you've read the first one. "Louder" builds on the ideas presented in the first book and applies them to a business setting (it's still very interesting, even if you're not reading it for business). I got the enhanced media version for the iBook reader, which included several videos from the author, which was well worth the extra cost.
Apr 30, 2015 Khadija rated it liked it
لقد اضاء هذا الكتاب علي قوة نمتلكها جميعا ولكن معظمنا يجهلها وسماها المؤلف (قوة الاشارات الغير لفظية ) وهي عبارة عن اشارات دقيقة وغير مركز عليها يقوم بها الجسد بصورة غير ارادية تعبيرا عن احاسيسنا الداخلية فتعتبر هذة الاشارات الاكثر صدقا من كلماتنا وتساعدنا علي التواصل المثمر والفهم الصحيح للطرف الاخر الذي نتحاور معه او نتواصله معه .ورغم ان الكتاب كان مركز اكثر شيء علي اصحاب الاعمال ورؤساء الشركات والاداريين الا نه يمكن له انه يفيد اي شخص سواء في العالم الاقتصادي واو خارج منه فهو يظهر التعامل الف ...more
Zerafina Zara
A must-read for anyone who wants to improve their business skills, client and personal relationships. This book seamlessly integrates what is missing from a lot of the literature on nonverbal communication. That is how your 'curb-side appeal' communicates something about your business. Everything from how the garden on the entrance of your business is tended, to the waiting room experience. Joe Navarro's earlier book, 'What Every Body is Saying' is great for the individual details of decoding no ...more
Loy Machedo
Mar 25, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Louder than Words by Joe Navarro (with Toni Sciarra Poynter)

Joe Navarro, born 1953 is an author, public speaker and ex-FBI agent. He specializes in the area of nonverbal communication or body language and has authored the following books
• Advanced Interviewing Techniques; Proven Strategies for Law Enforcement, Military, and Security Personnel.
• Hunting Terrorists: A Look at The Psychopathology of Terror.
• Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Pok
Very well written book on non-verbal communication in the workplace; although I possibly didn't enjoy it quite as much as Mr Navarro's first book, What Every Body is Saying. He definitely knows his stuff when it comes to behavioural analysis (as well he should, given his background), and I like the balance he brings to his interpretations and the way he focusses on the body language of comfort/discomfort, as compared to that of truth and deception.

My one criticism would be that he makes some pre
Jun 29, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, language
While this book is intended to teach business audiences about how to control your own nonverbal communication and be sensitive to what others are communicating to ensure business success, the book has lots to offer the general reader. I found it really interesting and look forward to taking the insights it offers into the real world.
I'd also recommend it to writers, as it's a great source for characterization.
Clark Hays
Nov 10, 2011 Clark Hays rated it really liked it
Like a decoder ring for people

The author, Joe Navarro, was an FBI profiler with a tremendous track record of spotting the various nonverbal cues that indicate someone is lying or concealing their true motives. He turns his talents to providing insights and strategies that can be used in day to day life. Specifically, the information he presents is useful for navigating the corporate world and making the most of interactions with co-workers and bosses. I learned a lot from it and, at least for th
Basma Alrasheed
Jun 02, 2016 Basma Alrasheed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع جداً وخفيف
يتكلم في الكاتب عن التواصل غير الفظي مع الآخرين
وكيف التواصل مع الآخرين بفعالية أكبر وذلك من خلال التأثير فيهم إبتداءً بالملبس الصحيح والمظهر المناسب، وإنتهاءً بلغة الجسد
وهنا يجب علينا التفريق بين لغة الجسد والتواصل غير اللفظي، إذ أن التواصل غير اللفظي أعم وأشمل من لغة الجسد ، فالكثير يعتقد بأن لغة الجسد هي ذاتها التواصل غير اللفظي
ولكن هذا مفهم خاطئ ، فالتواصل غير اللفظي يشمل المظهر والجو العام المحيط بالشخص، وحتى الأخلاق ولغة الجسد وغيرها ..

كتاب جميل جداً، بالرغم من أنه في
William Murray
Sep 19, 2014 William Murray rated it it was amazing
I have Asperger's Syndrome and this book has pointed me in directions that for many might be commonsense, but isn't for me. Already some of the ideas presented have yielded positive results as I implement them. Topics are covered in detail and broken down by chapters. Highly recommended for others with Asperger's.
Mar 08, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Body language - whether we know it or not, we're sending our peers a message without even saying a word. That's what former federal agent Joe Navarro explains in this guide to nonverbal cues. The position of your feet, how you sit in your chair, and the small details in your choice of clothing speak volumes about you.

While reading this book, I would go to work the next day and see if I could pick out any of the nonverbals Navarro writes about. And I am also conscious if I am displaying one of th
Nisrina Azizah
Aug 06, 2015 Nisrina Azizah rated it liked it
I finished reading this book like months ago but did not have time to go on goodreads and write a review.
I randomly found this book when walking around bookshelves in my university's library, the word FBI agent caught me and I then decided to borrow the book and read ( I am a sucker for spy stuffs, don't blame me)
It turned out that I really enjoyed the book and had fun trying to practice what I read here in daily life.
What really captivated me was when the writer told his one particular experien
Nice follow up book to the author's previous two titles.

Some excellent pointers around base lining between comfort and discomfort parameters in those you are speaking with. I particularly enjoyed the discussion of "happy feet" telling us where others intentions are truly pointed.

One other interesting piece is the positioning of the thumbs outside the pocket with the palm inserted into the pocket. Per Mr. Navarro this is usually indicative of someone who feels superior to you. I work in a hospit
Talbert Houle
Feb 15, 2016 Talbert Houle rated it really liked it
This book had one overall principal that kept coming back up over and over again and that was to pay attention to the comfort level of the person you are interacting with. Recognize when something makes them uncomfortable.
Faith Wood
Jul 06, 2015 Faith Wood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This Vook explores the concept of non verbal communication both between human and their environments. Written by a former FBI agent – it is well written and a fabulous read.
Sep 01, 2016 Abram rated it it was ok
The ideas in this book are not very novel. I would suggest it possibly as an intro to body language.
All about nonverbal intelligence and communication
Tai Tai
Mar 09, 2015 Tai Tai rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011 CS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book, although the first part is repeating the content of another book "What everybody is saying", which is about observing body language and micro expression, the second part is about how to put it to good use in work life. This is not about detecting deception, but rather be more sensitive to discovering discomfort among co-workers, business partners and customers. Nowing others' nonverbal language will give us a competitive edge when dealing with people.
Feb 24, 2011 Efi added it
This is my first VOOK that I bought from iTunes. I watched the videos (one for each chapter) but I must say that it was not what I expected. It was about non verbal communication and mostly decoding body language.
I was not happy for the money I spent. And since I don't have an iPad, I am not going to read the text on my iPhone hoping that it has more juice to it.
So I won't rate this one
Jan 15, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy-life
Decent overview of nonverbal communication, with clear markers and the rationales behind them.
Dec 05, 2010 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid, usable information with a nice twist on the usual "get an edge over everybody" message common in this genre. This is reflected in the author's parting words: "It is my hope that you will have a greater appreciation for nonverbal intelligence and use it as intended: to read, understand, assist and positively influence others."
Robert B
“Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence.” Covers not just how to read nonverbal signals but also includes a good bit about being successful – dressing well, etc. His approach to nonverbal communication is rather sensible – focus on signs of comfort and discomfort.
Jan 23, 2011 Cheska rated it liked it
Quick read, but contains very basic concepts. Author often refers to another book, "What Every Body Is Saying", which I think defeats the purpose of reading *this* book. Other than that, I did pick up some interesting tips and found myself enjoying observing other people!
Jul 10, 2013 Semiophrenic rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, in this book Navarro does not repeat himself from his previous books. He talks about nonverbal intelligence and praises the gladwellian thin slice assessment. There are some dubious topics (verbal mirroring, oxytocin, etc.), but otherwise it's a pretty good read.
May 05, 2010 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few pointers I could use. Overall not special. Fairly basic observations. The author's picture on the back jacket cover is a lot of what he tells you not to do. Sneering type look I think was supposed to be tough and respectful came over to me as condescending.
Cindy Reilly
Mar 10, 2012 Cindy Reilly rated it liked it
Great parlor game for the office! All kidding aside, this is an interesting and quick read. Good refresher course in interpreting people's body language, which tells you volumes, even when they aren't speaking. Great reminder that your body is doing the same!
Mar 07, 2011 Ron rated it liked it
I read this during the summer to better prepare for interviews and increase my ability to read non-verbal cues. It was a great suggestion by a close friend but it is very much geared towards business settings, but a very practical tool.
Keith Brooks
Dec 26, 2013 Keith Brooks rated it really liked it
Rehash of his other work or just parallel ideas. Still great for people who do not see or hear these things.
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • Concise Art of Seduction
  • Theory & Practice of Gamesmanship
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics
  • How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less
  • Zero-Resistance Selling: Achieve Extraordinary Sales Results Using World Renowned techqs Psycho Cyberneti
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • Small Message, Big Impact: The Elevator Speech Effect
  • Flying Without a Net: Turn Fear of Change into Fuel for Success
  • Winning Decisions: Getting It Right the First Time
  • How Successful People Win: Turn Every Setback into a Step Forward
  • Toyota Production System: An Integrated Approach to Just-In-Time
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
Joe Navarro is an author, public speaker and ex-FBI agent. Navarro specializes in the area of nonverbal communication or body language and has authored numerous books.
More about Joe Navarro...