Celtic Fairy Tales

Celtic Fairy Tales (Του Κόσμου τα Παραμύθια #16)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  860 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Embodying the charming humour and wit of the Celtic folk-tales, Jacobs has rendered his own particular style to the collection. This anthology of charming tales is captivating and one of the most amusing for children.
Published July 13th 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1893)

Johnny
In the United States, classic fairy tales have been bowdlerized. The dark symbols of ogres, giants, witches, and curses of the Brothers Grimm have been transformed into two-dimensional versions of themselves with curses often being more pranks than devastating supernatural spells and witches becoming more like stepmothers than old crones. Children are no longer eaten and killed with regularity as in the didactic tales of the ancient world where disobedient children quickly met their ends.
Favori...more
Michael
I simply love reading these old collections of "fairy tales," especially Celtic ones. About the time of this publication (1892) there was a most interesting effort by many literary authorities to collect original fairy tales handed down by word of mouth in the British Isles, especially in the rural areas and in the original Irish, Gaedlig or Welsh, before they were entirely lost. How I am grateful to them!

Jacobs Celtic Fairy Tales (1892) is one of those delightful collections which attempt to re

Tabitha
So this is a strange complaint BUT
While I liked the stories chosen for the collection, there was something off-putting about the way the book was set up. this edition has a strange page format and font that hurt to read a bit.
That silly complaint aside, it was a well-chosen set of tales and I was really thrilled with the content (if not the look) of the book.

Ok. I'm a doofus. After noticing the original publish date was in the 1800s I think I know why the format seemed off. Oops
Aredhel
I like reading fairy tales, first of all, because my inner child can't live without wonders and miracles and, second of all, because through these tales the essence of different cultures is transferred.
Book Wormy
A collection of original celtic fairytales which contain the seeds of some well known fairytales before they were sanitised for children.

Snow white ends up living with her prince and his new wife and dont ask how the ugly sisters try to fit into Cinderellas slippers.

Alot of the stories feature giants, kings, queens, princes and princesses as you would expect along with characters of dubious morality who appear as the heroes.

The stories do tend to be a bit repetitive.

Should any one decide to read this book from 1892 I recommend reading the notes either before or concurrently, instead of after like I did. It's interesting how many other fairy tales from across Europe and Asia are mixed in, and it was helpful to see whether they thought the story was originally from the British Celts or an import. "Fair, Brown, and Trembling" is a Cinderella story, and "Jack and His Comrades" is a variation on "The Bremen Town Musicians". I had seen "The Horned Women" done as...more
Louise

I actually read these stories in two different editions. I started with the Collector’s Library edition of Jacobs’ Celtic Fairy Tales before realising that they had cut all Jacob’s original annotations and end-notes. Purely by chance I then I discovered this rather dusty copy hiding in the spare bedroom, spotted that it had all those end-notes and also contained Jacob’s follow-up More Celtic Fairy Tales, and did a bit of a book swap. The Collector’s Library edition is undoubtedly the more attrac...more
Jen
A surprising collection, Celtic Fairy Tales was written with the intent to interest English schoolchildren in Celtic lore -- a humbling bit of information, since I was often confused when the author threw in Gealic vocabulary and unfamiliar sentence structure, no doubt in an attempt to remain true in his translation. (For example, apparently a "hoodie" refers to some kind of crow, which can talk and cause no end of trouble in a fairy tale.) I was also fascinated to learn that the Celtic bards we...more
Evan Hays
What an interesting and fun read. In addition to giving me lots of insight into Celtic life through the stories of the people, this book is very interesting for the notes on each story that the author provides. What you end up seeing is truly how diverse and interspersed are European (and really even Indo-European stories). Many are so old and in so many different versions, that it is impossible to tell where they started. It is quite likely though, that many Celtic ones spread east not west due...more
Paul Gallear
The stories are often repetitive, rambling and inconclusive; some of the dialogue contains enough Mediaeval archaisms (thy, thine, thee, thou etc) to make Edmund Spencer wince, and I'm sure libraries could be filled with essays and books upon the treatment and representation of women in this book.

But, for all that, I did quite enjoy it. Celtic Fairy Tales offers a look into a world of stories and storytelling which has all but vanished
Jamie Ander
I thought the fairy tales were very interesting and weird.
Lucy
I can understand the importance of fairy tales and it's a Good Thing that they were collected and preserved. That doesn't make them always a Good Read, though. This is a mixed collection - some stories flow well while others are incomprehensibly complex. This maybe reflects the late nineteenth century atmosphere in which they were recorded. Time methinks for someone to revisit the original sources and revive these in a less turgid manner.
Murphious
Some of the tales are entertaining and some are head scratchers. Maybe I lose something because I can only trace my Irish heritage to an 1870's stowaway to America. I still liked these fables from the "old country". 150 pages of actual stories and the rest are the author's discussion about each tale and some background history. Some of the histories are as entertaining as the fable they describe.
Louise

3 stars

A beautiful, pocket sized edition of Jacobs' Celtic Fairytales with the wonderful original illustrations by John D. Batten. Unfortunately fails to include Jacobs' accademic notes on the provenence and sources for each story. But if you're not interested in that side of it and just want to read the fairy tales themselves then it is an absolutely lovely little version.
Magdalena Bartnik
Tą książkę czytałam właściwie zawodowo, ale lubię ją nie tylko ze względu na zróżnicowane historie pochodzące z ustnych przekazów, ale także, albo przede wszystkim, ilustracje i to, że jest świetnym punktem wyjścia do zaawansowanego odkrywania podań (i mitów) celtyckich dzięki bardzo wartościowym przypisom do "baśni".
Patrick
This is a pretty varied selection of tales from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall. The stories are ok, but Jacobs was not a translator, and he appears to have edited translations made by other authors, adding and removing passages as he saw fit, without improving the literary quality.
Jacqueline Bartelmo
This book was pretty much perfect for me since I've have always had a love for fairy tales and all things celtic. The stories in this book were at times funny and disturbing, not in a bad way though. With its adventures and silly characters almost any child would love reading this book.
Michael
Ah, folklore. Simple, entertaining, timeless. I truly think tales are timeless because they were dreamed in eras during which the core of human experiences could be expressed without all the trappings and insanities and distractions of modern life and media.
Rhiannon Conley-Pierson
All of the tales were written really poorly (dryly) until the last three: "The Llanfabon Changeling," "Beth Gellert," and "The Sea-Maiden." I will keep looking for a better collection of Celtic fairy tales.
Faye Bryrdan Morgan
It was nice to know that some Greek stories are similar to Celtic ones.
Celtic myths are strange to me and hauntingly beautiful.
Also, it's much more romantic than Greek mythology.
Anna
Very good book with celtic fairy tales which are mostly unknown in Poland. The book also contains pictures to each of stories. Maybe someday such book will be published in Polish.
Treva Fitzgerald
I missed the part it was a Sample. I really enjoyed what I read. I plan on downloading the rest. Can't give it a fair review since I didn't read the entire piece.
Courtney
4.5 stars.
I enjoyed reading all of these stories, despite the fact that some of them were a little hard to read or far fetching. Just a fun and easy read.
Jim
Scientific, thorough, and well-documented for the stories it presents. A surgical look at some fairly literal translations with good historical insight.
Melea
Very interesting. There were some stories that I knew, and some that had parallels to other more familiar tales.
Lizzi Crystal
A collection of original fairy tales of old Ireland and Wales - entertaining for a light, quick read.
Raúl Aníbal
Compilación del Siglo XIX, un poco Naive. Otra más de mis caoticas lecturas.
Snicketts
Lovely re-telling of traditional stories, keeping the authentic feel.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
Yea I'm reading fairy tales. What of it?
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Irish Folk & Fairy Tales Omnibus
  • Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
English Fairy Tales Irish Fairy Tales Indian Fairy Tales The Fables of Aesop King of the Cats: A Ghost Story by Joseph Jacobs