Best Short Stories (Dual-Language, 7 stories)

Best Short Stories (Dual-Language, 7 stories)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In this collection of seven of his most popular stories each tale reflects both the author's intimate familiarity with Paris and the provinces in the Belle Epoque, as well as a nonjudgmental humanism that is one of Guy de Maupassant's most attractive writing qualities.

Boule de suif --
The Tellier establishment --
Mademoiselle Fifi --
Miss Harriet --
The piece of string --
The n...more
Published March 27th 1996 by Dover Publications (first published 1884)

To ask other readers questions about Best Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Short Stories

I finally finished this dual-language collection of short stories from late 19th C France. It started off very slowly, reading a sentence, or even a word, in French, then checking the opposite page for the translation. But, by the last story or two, I could practically read entire pages without translation. If anyone wants to brush up on French, read this out loud too, so you can develop a kind of "aural reference" for various words.

The stories themselves are great - all largely variations on th...more
Teguh Affandi
Membaca ini memang terasa sangat sederhana (dari kisah-kisah di sekitar kita) tetapi dituturkan dengan apik oleh Guy de Maupassant.
Cinta Sejati cerita tentang seorang wanita miskin tukang tambal kursi yang mencintai seorang Chouquet sejak lelaki itu masih kecil. Bermula karena Chouquet kehilangan uang, dan si tukang tambal kursi memberinya uang. Dari sanalah cinta bermula. Hingga Chouquet menjadi dewasa dan menajdi dokter. Si tukang kursi meninggal. Saat diberi tahu bahwa ada seorang miskin yang...more
loïc
I have to admit; it took some time and a couple of stories to draw me in, but once I was 'enthralled' my love for Maupassant's writing only grew.

They way he portraits his characters and observes life and human nature, so "simple" but full of life and spot on... brilliant! good for a lot of smiles and pondering moments.

Actually stumbled on this book by accident in a second hand book shop, and it turned out to be the seed for a strong desire to delve into the classics in literature =)

Bob
worth buying for "the necklass" alone
Earl Jones
The neckless is my fav short story of all time. Probably a close second with, "the tell-tale heart" by Poe or Jackson's "the Lottery." Maupassant would definitely kick ass at words with friends. ;)
Fajar
Membaca cerita-cerita pendek Guy de Maupassant tidak jauh berbeda dengan merenungi sifat-sifat manusia yang bahkan seringkali kita rasakan.

Sangat istimewa karena kesederhaan cerita-cerita pendek dalam buku ini bisa dikatakan tidak biasa : cinta seorang tukang reparasi kursi, janda dari seorang pemuda berusia 13 tahun, pernikahan hanya karena peristiwa salah memasuki kamar, kemunafikan seorang suami, pembalasan dendam seorang ibu, dan lain sebagainya.

Hanya itu saja ?

Beruntung bahwa Guy de Maupass...more
Foxglow
He paints with words.
Pat
What a surprise to get so much pleasure from this book of short stories. For a start short stories are not a great favourite of mine and then I always thought guy de Maupassant would be really difficult to read even in translation. The stories are so lively and the characters are just wonderful.
Lidya
Sempat lama terhenti baca kumpulan cerpen ini di cerpen terakhir sekaligus terpanjang, Boule de Suif. Beberapa cerpen sempat masuk di buku kumpulan cerpen GdM yang lain, Mademoiselle Fifi. Cerpen paling menarik dalam buku ini, yang membuat emosi saya meledak di halaman terakhir adalah Boule de Suif. Awalnya cukup membosankan, namun cerpen ini secara cantik menceritakan orang-orang terpandang, saleh, dan memiliki kehidupan baik memanfaatkan seorang pelacur untuk menyelamatkan mereka sendiri. Gila...more
Jordan Christopher
French prose...----------- I didn't see any order or purpose behind Maupassant's work. It seemed to be a random collection of common stories with no meaning. Perhaps I just didn't understand the meaning, or there were translation errors, etc. So it wasn't really a total waste of time, but not one I'll add to my collection.
Ali
The first short story in the collection, 'Boule de suif', is one of my favourite short stories. Studying it in French at university made for an interesting study unit and also allowed me to really pull apart and understand all aspects of the story. I did not thoroughly enjoy every story in the book, but there were quite a few really good stories in the collection, and also a lot of thought and emotional response provoking stories.
Kealan O'ver
Masterful short stories
Lars
'The master of the short story', they call him. I agree.

I've read few who like Maupassant can describe a person in a few sentences and then you have a clear image of how that person is. But that is just one impressive part of his writing.

I can't say enough good about this collection. Read it.
Lars K Jensen
'The master of the short story', they call him. I agree.

I can't say enough good about this collection. Read it.
Sandra
I read a lot of these short stories as a freshman in high school. They were short and rather interesting, so I reviewed several of them for assignments. I have read his work in English and French.

One of my favorite short story authors.
Rachel
Great stories so far...somewhat dark, but nice use of irony, and the dual-language aspect is great for people trying to increase their reading ability in French while still being able to see the way the text is translated into English.
Jane Mackay
Now I understand why Henry Miller, Simone de Beauvoir, and others of that era thought so highly of de Maupassant. I can see that my copy of this book is the inaugural one in what will become a collection of de Maupassant-authored books.
Geir Ruud
The stories might be a bit out of date, but the brilliant way G d M "paint the pictures" of the characters gives the book a life, 120-130 years later.
I should read the stories Jospeh Conrad made, inspired by Guy de Maupassant.
Carolyn
My late father used to say, "If a book fails you read Maupassant. He will put the love of reading in you again. Never a disappointment." He was so right. I love this master story teller. Especially his twisted tales.
Anna Sinova
Guy de Maupassant's writing is so alive and descriptive that you can't help but feel and live inside the worlds he creates. He draws you completely into a wirl of french passions, emotions, desires and personalities.
Cara
Mar 02, 2011 Cara marked it as to-read
I got 8 pages (which is to say 4 pages) into one of these stories, at which point all the French made my head hurt. I'll have to pick this book back up again when I'm in a french-learnin' mood!
Kv Santosh
A collection of short stories that explores human nature: its foibles, its quirks and its glories. Masterly in craftsmanship, the tales are a delight to read.
Stella_bee
cerpen-cerpen yang menarik dengan kisah cinta dan prilaku manusia yang beragam namun ironis. favoritku: cerpen berjudul Seorang Janda :)
bakanekonomama
Idih... Najong deh para bangsawan sok suci itu... Harusnya mereka semua ditembak sm tentara2 Prusia itu!! -___________-"
Kier
I didn't read this exact collection, but a very one printed by a Chinese press.
Fanda Kutubuku
Amazing stories! Now I have one favorite short stories author: Guy de Maupassant!
Finlay
Elaborate and unresolved. His style kind of grew on me.
Frank
Written in 1880 and they have aged well.
Sarah Lang
Yay for crazy misogynistic Flaubert disciples.
  • Selected Short Stories
  • Pleasures and Days
  • The Masterpiece (Les Rougon-Macquart, #14)
  • Selected Poems
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories
  • Life's Little Ironies
  • Southern Mail
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Red Balloon
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Iron in the Soul
  • The Marquise of O— and Other Stories
  • The Plays of Anton Chekhov
  • The Happy Prince
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)