Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws

Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In this incisive and insightful book, Judge Andrew P. Napolitano peels back the legal veneer and shows how politicians, judges, prosecutors, and bureaucrats are trampling the U.S. Constitution in the name of law and order and fighting terrorism. Napolitano reveals how they:

silence the First Amendment shoot holes in the Second break some laws to enforce others entrap citize...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Nelson Current (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Constitutional Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constitutional Chaos

Matthew
Excellent book. Napolitano covers dozens of cases in which the local or federal government has broken its own laws including the case at Ruby Ridge, Waco and the Branch Davidians, the case of Elien Gonzalez, and the many unconstitutional practices since 9/11 and the so-called war on terror.

The founding fathers fought hard to escape the tyranny of King George III. Ironically, over two hundred years later another George has come along and with the PATRIOT act has given the government powers even...more
Glen
Many people would be pleasantly surprised by this book. Judge Napolitano is a Fox News contributor... contrary to what many would think because of this affiliation, he is not a one sided conservative commentator. He really takes the George Bush and John Ashcroft to task here on their terrible legal handling of "enemy combatants" at Guantanimo Bay.

The courts are not supposed to act in political interests and the Judge demonstrates this here in his book by presenting critical looks at the behavior...more
Victoria
I felt like I was reading an essay written by a college student, but the information was really interesting.
Blyden
The book, about Government violations of the US Constitution, is divided into four parts: Rights and Liberties, Wake-Up Call (a personal statement), The War on Terror, and his solutions in "What Can We Do?" of which the first and third part are the main substance. It is a damning critique of our corrupt judicial system and government generally.

Chapter one addresses instances of the feds engaging in illegal abduction, cops routinely lying in court, home invasions and illegal seizures, etc. Chapte...more
BJ Rose
Apr 29, 2010 BJ Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BJ Rose by: spring challenge
"Unless you work for it, sell to it, or receive financial assistance from it, the government is not your friend.

This statement from Constitutional Chaos highlights one of the points that Napolitano makes in this book: when it is not outright breaking the law to achieve a goal it desires, it subverts the law to take what it wants. He discusses the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment, which has evolved into the 'right' of the government to take property for non-public purposes as long as they can...more
Naftoli
The issues brought forth by Judge Andrew Napolitano are not new to me (though the details and some court cases definitely are) since I regularly read liberty-themed books. That said, it was a great read. Napolitano's arguments are clear and logical and, most importantly, he does not ramble like some authors do: he stays on point. I love that he brings every issue back to the Constitution. At the back of the book he lists the Constitutional definitions of the Presidency,the legislature, the judic...more
John
Napolitano, a former judge, demonstrates that the government is not in the business of justice, but of power. Our government has lost all restraint and exercises raw power as much as it can, in order to control the lives of those that it is meant to protect. We must be careful to return the authority to the people, and hold the government accountable, lest we too get caught in the machinery of the state.

Contrary to popular belief, the government is most certainly not your friend. We must recogni...more
Paul Robinson
This provides a traditional Law perspective by Napolitano. His perspective he gives truly made me rethink and look again at the laws that are passed by the government, the manner that they are enforced through the Dept of Justice, and the Constitution of the United States. The only issue I have with the book is the sourcing. He does mention certain events by personal experience, but controversial topics (such as the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents during the 1990s) doesn't have a footnote or any m...more
Don Murphy
Great, amazing! For a high school student. Oh, this is a complete book written by a judge? Oh. Sorry. My mistake.
Had this been written tighter, the subject matter would have been that much more weightier. But, he seems to take time to (a) point out how great he is and (b) jumps to conclusions not fully developed within his argument.
Sally
Extremely eye-opening and thought-provoking. The Judge has definitely got me questioning a few things, thanks to this book.

This was written in 2004, just a few short years after 9/11. I would be very interested in reading a revised and updated version of it. I'm sure Judge Napolitano would have a lot more fodder for us to consider.
Lewis Fiecke
Saddening reality of today's judicial practices, the abandonment of the citizens having rule over themselves and the right to privacy and freedoms. Current trends have us giving up freedom at an alarming rate, and by the time we notice it may be too late.
David Robins
Although his first book, I read it last; definitely beginning (!) to sense a theme here. The government breaks its own laws; the government violates the constitution and infringes on rights all the time. Such a monster must not be allowed to exist.
Sean Rosenthal
Interesting Quote:

"While a disarmed population doesn't necessarily lead to a genocidal government, not a single incident of genocide in the twentieth century was inflicted on an armed population."

-Judge Andrew Napolitano, Constitutional Chaos
Dr. Thomas Wasser
Excellent yet frustrating book. I'm sure as a judge he is 100% right but if you read constitutional law books and others you just can't see him being correct. I recommend this book, it isn't sexy but it is well done and Napolitano does a good job.
Bob Ladwig
I found this book to be very helpful to understanding the application of Libertarian political philosophy to law. The simple principle of: If I can't do "X" as an individual why is it suddenly ok when the government does "X" is priceless.
Voracious_reader
Easy read. Legal analysis for the non- lawyer. Nothing special in a good way or a bad way.

Overall: scary how many and how much of our constitutional protections are worn away by the judicial branch that once protected them.
John
Scary possibilities but the book shows how terrorism has changed the rules of the democratic game. ..and this during a republican presidency so it has nothing to do with Pres. Obama. I wonder what he will think of......
Pat
Very interesting book about how the judicial and executive branches of government are denying Constitutional rights to citizens. We need to be aware of what the president and the Supreme Court are doing.
goddess
Interesting read about the breakdown of our Constitution happening all over the country. Some things had me scratching my head a little but others totally resonated. Gotta love the Judge, though!
Todd
This book will make you ANGRY, and that is a very good thing. The Judge tells all about the behind the scenes of our judicial system and the lawlessness that encompasses it.
Pamela
The Judge is awesome. Great book. Learned about supreme court and helped me understand why some of those on the left get uptight about their consititutonal rights.
Steve
This excellent book shows how politicians, judges, prosecutors, and bureaucrats are trampling the U.S. Constitution in the name of law and order and fighting terrorism.
Andrew Nicely
Sep 07, 2008 Andrew Nicely rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to see the government in action
This book opened my eyes to see how the judicial branch of the government really does not follow the constitution at all and how they get away with it.
Laurie Benoit
Read for a political science class I took a couple of years back and thought it was a good read. Pretty interesting stuff actually.
Brian Blum
Jul 14, 2012 Brian Blum rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supporters of Big Government
Recommended to Brian by: Congressman Ron Paul
Fantastic ... and scary. Terrific book - well written and especially pertinent considering the upcoming election season.
Tamura
Yet another journey into what ails this nations I have come to love.

We should listen, and then act
Jonathan Deaux
It's Judge Nap...enough said!
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War
  • Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
  • The Myth of the Robber Barons: A New Look at the Rise of Big Business in America
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century
  • Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America
  • Libertarianism: A Primer
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The New American Militarism: How Americans are Seduced by War
  • The God of the Machine
  • What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for the 100 Percent Gold Dollar
  • Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression
  • Imperial Hubris: Why the West Is Losing the War on Terror
  • Migrations And Cultures: A World View
Andrew Paolo Napolitano is a former New Jersey Superior Court Judge. He is a political and senior judicial analyst for Fox News Channel, commenting on legal news and trials. Napolitano started on the channel in 1998. He is a Libertarian and a strong advocate of the Constitution, viewing it as a contract that must, according to rule of law, be interpreted the way its authors intended or else be inv...more
More about Andrew P. Napolitano...
Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History A Nation of Sheep Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong: The Case for Personal Freedom