Start by marking “Wish” as Want to Read:
Wish

Wish

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Bee’s brother, Tommy, knows everything there is to know about sharks. He also knows that his life will be cut short by cystic fibrosis. And so does Bee.

That’s why she wants to make his wish-foundation-sponsored trip to swim with a great white shark an unforgettable memory.

But wishes don’t always come true. At least, not as expected. Only when Bee takes Tommy to meet a famo
Published November 9th 2010 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinImaginary Girls by Nova Ren SumaOn the Fringe by Courtney King WalkerA Blue So Dark by Holly SchindlerThe Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
Swimmers on the Cover
29th out of 185 books — 262 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinWake by Amanda HockingForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsLies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown
Seaweed Hair - Drowning Girls on Covers
21st out of 143 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Likes:
A major character is living with CF. I enjoy books that recognize physical and mental diagnoses with taste and a realistic point of view.
Having lived in the San Francisco area, it was nice to "visit" it by reading.
With the movie "Chasing Mavericks" coming out, I enjoyed reading about Mavericks.
I also went on a whale watching tour while reading the book, and it was amusing to read about a similar tour at the same time.

Dislikes:
The banter between Bee and Tommy is only mildly amusing and soun
Arthur Pengerbil
Reading Level: Grades 6 and up

Bee: 15 years old, class president, good grades, takes care of her little brother Tommy; excited about the family trip to San Francisco’s shark coast.
Tommy: 11 years old, has cystic fibrosis, incredibly smart, obsessed with great white sharks; given the chance to dive with great whites in a cage through a make-a-wish foundation.
Their Mom: constantly flirting, a little distant; ruining their trip to San Francisco by going on a date and not coming back.
Ty Barry: 21 ye
Kimberly
Bee's younger brother, Tommy, has Cystic Fibrosis which makes it a job just to breathe. He gets the opportunity to have a wish granted. Tommy chooses to swim with a great white shark- an subject he is infatuated with and quite an expert too. The wish falls short when conditions and weather turn his life long desire into a hokey boat ride. He still manages a life altering experience with his sister when they look up a friend who takes them surfing. Against his mother's wishes and his sister's bet ...more
Cathy
3 1/2 stars. 15-year-old Bee's brother Tommy, eleven, knows everything there is to know about great white sharks. He also has cystic fibrosis and is often sick. That's why she wants his wish-foundation trip to California to dive in a cage among the sharks to be perfect. But when the dive is cancelled because of rough water and her irresponsible mom stays out all night with a man she met on the plane flying over from New Hampshire, Bee decides to take matters in her own hands. She wants to give T ...more
emily
Ty Barry: 21 years old, survived a shark
Jen Bojkov
Story of Tommy and Bee and there day of adventure on the CA coast. Tommy has cystic fibrosis and has a wish to swim with a great white shark. They do the next best thing and go out with a surfer who has been attacked by a great white and lived to tell about it. The day is not what they expected. Another great read by Monninger. He knows how to spin a tale about ordinary kinds of people.
Handd51
This is a very interesting plot centered around an 11-year-old boy with cystic fibrosis and his older sister. Their mother is a bit of a flake, but she does get them a dream tri[p to "swim with the sharks" through a Make-a-Wish-LIKE organization. The Whale and shark watching day trip is something of a dissappointment to shark-fanatic Tommy, tho they do see a shark. But flaky Mom flakes overnight, so the kids take an adventure on their own to visit an e-friend/surfer dude that results in the exci ...more
Squeaky
Bee, her mother, and her brother who has CF go on a Make-A-Wish kind of trip to San Francisco to see Great White Sharks near the
Farallon Islands. Things don't quite work out as they planned. Good story, read it right through. Now what do I do?
Heidi
Bee, 15, and her 11-year-old brother, Tommy, are on a trip to California to sharks. Tommy has cystic fibrosis and the trip is sponsored by an organization which grants wishes to children with serious medical issues. Their mom is along for the ride, but seems more interested in picking up potential new husbands. After she leaves them overnight while on a date, Bee and Tommy leave their hotel to search for Ty, a surfer who survived a shark attack on his surfboard. Ty and his brother set about maki ...more
Pat
What does Surfing (off California's coast),romance (hot surfer dude with east coast girl), Great White Sharks and an eleven year old boy with CF (Tommy a.k.a Snow Pony) have in common?..."one day, filled all the way up..."-- that's what. Tommy knows that his days are numbered by his cystic fibrosis but that only makes his one "wish" to go down in the cages off the coast of Ca. to swim with the great white sharks with whom he is obsessed that much sweeter. An organization grants his wish and Tomm ...more
Idris
This is a lovely book about an eleven years old boy who has cystic fibrosis and he is passionate about sharks. A wish foundation sends him on a trip to swim with great white sharks. His sister Bee vows to make it an unforgettable memory.

It’s a short story, which tells us a bit more about the lives of children with this disease,(their families) and interesting facts about sharks. The characters were lovely and real. The story was sometimes a little bit predictable but I have a good time reading
Heather
Bee loves her little brother more than anything. She knows his time is limited. He suffers from Cystic Fibrosis and she is determined to make his wish come true. He wants to swim with the great white sharks. But when their trip to California to swim with the sharks turns into a big disappointment, Bee is more determined than ever to see his wish come true. Even if this means ditching their mother to go and find Tommy's idol - a surfer who had survived a shark attack. But Bee soon finds out that ...more
Liza Wiemer
A touching story about a young boy (Tommy) with cystic fibrosis and his obsession with sharks. Tender characters, really liked the interactions between Tommy and his sister. Lots of great shark facts. The mother was an interesting character, definitely struggling with raising her children and trying to have her own life. I'd love to see teachers encourage their students to read this book - will help MG have an appreciation for the struggles some kids face when they have health issues. There's a ...more
Neha
I love this.
Mary Ann
Good book. It's the story of a girl whose younger brother has cystic fibrosis. She's very dedicated to him, and he's practically a saint but even given that standard setup, you can't help but be captivated by them both. She is determined that he have this Wish (granted by a foundation) and makes sure he does everything he has wanted to do. But does she risk too much? Lots of information about sharks all along the way. Touching and highly readable.
Ms. Patterson
I was a bit disappointed. I thought the set up took too long at the beginning and I really just wanted the story to get going. But, I really loved the concept of this story and I realize it would be difficult to tell without setting up the story. I didn't fully understand the relationship between Bee and her mom. I guess one of those love/hate ones. Not a terrible story. It I just wish the beginning moved faster.
Julie
This book was pretty good. I was sad at the end, but I'm not exactly sure why. It was a good read, definitely not a favorite, or one that I would say is my type exactly, but it was a book that made me think and so I recommend it to anyone, especially someone that's not particularly familiar with sharks-great white to be specific.
-J
StorySnoops
Wish is a wonderful and dramatic read about the relationship between Bee and Tommy. Bee's deep understanding of Tommy's emotional needs leads her to take a large risk in order to fulfill a dream for her brother. Tommy knows more than most adults about...(click here for full review: http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Nicole Dreibelbeis
I really liked this book...the main character Bea had a great relationship with her little brother, Tommy. I enjoyed the romance between Bea and Little Brew, the friendship between Ty and Tommy, and how 3 dimensional the characters seemed. I thought it was very well done and different from anything I've read recently.
Janet
This book really held my interest. The main character was typical of a lot of boys I see in my school library -- really into sharks (or snakes, or dinosaurs, or cars, etc.) His older sister was loving, yet impulsive and the situation in which they found themselves can happen all too soon to young kids.
Cinda
This was a beautiful story of love and sacrifice between siblings and friends and strangers. Since I'm vacationing in Huntington Beach, the subjects of sharks and surfing are particularly close right now.

[Will Bee's brother's disease prevent him from his dream of swimming with sharks?]
Dana
I like the premise of the story and the relationship between the siblings Bee and Tommy. I also very much enjoyed the shark facts added throughout the story. I found the writing style annoying at times, but overall this was a sweet, quick read.
Anna
Another great little book -- one that's incredibly sweet, but not syrupy so. And, for those interested in learning more about sharks, I highly I = pairing it with The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey. Animal lover's unite!
Nikki
This is the first non-fantasy novel I've read in a while. Let's just say, I'm glad this was the first. The novel will literally make you want to cry and laugh all at the same time. Wish is a novel I won't forget any time soon.
Selena Knight
This was a good book. I like the bond between the brother and the sister. It was an interesting story and had lots of interesting facts about sharks that I appreciated. The love story was sweet too.
Dawn

Great story about an 11 year old boy's wish to swim with sharks. Tommy has CF & his sister and mom will do anything to make his dreams come true. Fans of Freak the Mighty will love this book.
StoryStereo
Finished not too long ago. Just forgot to mark it. And I don't know where to begin on a review, but I can say that a) I think you should read it if you haven't yet, & b) I really, really enjoyed it. :)
Kirsten
Lovely story of sibling love, coming of age, and adventure. Not as annoyingly I'm-from-NH as Finding Somewhere was, this was easier to read.
georgia:]!!!!!
right now im reading wish, its REALLY REALLY GOOD and i cant wait to see whats going to happen in the end
My Strange Book A...: This topic has been closed to new comments. November 2012 17 4 Jan 02, 2013 06:05PM
  • Paintings from the Cave: Three Novellas
  • The Fourth Stall
  • Solving Zoe
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Belly Up
  • Caddy's World (Casson Family, #0)
  • Invisible Girl
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Kiss It
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Jump
Joseph Monninger has published eleven novels and three non-fiction books. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, Sports Illustrated and Ellery Queen, among other publications. He has twice received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and has also received a fellowship from the New Hampshi ...more
More about Joseph Monninger...
Eternal on the Water The World As We Know It Margaret from Maine: A Novel Finding Somewhere Hippie Chick