Start by marking “Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)” as Want to Read:
Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)

Black Order (Sigma Force #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  20,073 ratings  ·  714 reviews
A sinister fire in a Copenhagen bookstore ignites a relentless hunt across four continents. Arson and murder reveal an insidious plot to steal a Bible that once belonged to Charles Darwin. And Commander Gray Pierce dives headlong into a mystery that dates back to Nazi Germany...and to horrific experiments performed in a now-abandoned laboratory in Poland.

A continent away,
Published June 27th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Black Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Order

Stephen
4.0 stars. Having just finished book three of the Sigma Force series, I can certainly say I am a fan. I love the premise which is basically special forces agents with PhDs in multiple sciences working for a secret arm of DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) hunting down rogue technology and terrorists. Great action, smart, slick plots and a bunch of real "good guy" characters. Certainly the literary equivalent of junk food but it really tastes good.
Pam (E.P. Scott)

Black Order is exciting, engaging and educational (don’t let the ‘educational’ scare you – it was beautifully orchestrated and will be unforgettable).

The short:
Black Order takes the reader on a wild adventure from the Himalayas to South Africa, Copenhagen, Germany and Washington. With Nazi Germany, eugenics, evolution, Darwin and God, Rollins tells the tale of mysterious illnesses, dark secrets, the perfect race, a madman’s agenda for a new order and a glimpse into what make us…us.

The Long (bu
Jean
"The truth is too beautiful to die and too monstrous to set free."

It sounded like a melodramatic statement on the part of a doomed Nazi scientist at first, but when I actually got to the ending of the book... I felt that these words, repeated throughout the second half of the book, were truly appropriate for the conclusion of the book.

Black Order felt a little different than Rollins' other books. It seemed a little less frantic, but also a little less coherent; I attribute this to the fact that
Freda Malone

Himalayas - Everest Base Camp

Dr. Lisa Cummings has been requested to accompany a senior monk to a nearby monastery. Painter Crowe, Director of DARPA, has been assigned there to investigate a strange affliction. He is then afflicted himself. Dr. Cummings finds a gruesome scene and death. Among the dead, an elder monk has written rune like writing on the wall with his own blood, behaving quite mad before slashing his own throat. As the bombs erupt around the mountain, Lisa Cummings and Painter Cr
Elii Vela

Datos históricos verídicos:

En los últimos meses de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, con la caída deAlemania; británicos,americanos, rusos y franceses se dedicarona saquear la tecnología de los científicos nazis. Muchos científicos fueronasesinados, otros reclutados por Estados Unidos, laboratorios destruidos, proyectos ocultados con triple chapa ;) todo con tal deevitar que el conocimiento que ellos habían conseguido, fuese robado por otras naciones. Uno de esos proyectos de investigación tenía el

Aaron
Director Painter Crowe and Commander Gray Pierce (along with a few other Sigma Force colleagues) again plunge into action and adventure to save the world from some scary super-science. This time around, the focus is on an intriguing concept which combines quantum mechanics and evolution and the efforts of a secretive dark group with roots in the Nazis - a "Black Order", if you will - to both use it to create a master race and to weaponize it and "devolve" their enemies. Romps through the Himalay ...more
Jacquelyn
Curse you James Rollins! You kept me up until nearly two a.m. on a school night because I had to finish this book.

As with any author, Mr. Rollins has a distinctive style of writing, that leads me to know somewhat how the story will unfold. Because of this, I can only read one of his books every couple of months. Here's what I like about Mr. Rollins's books:
1. They fit directly into their genre
2. No One is precious (if you read him, I think you'll understand this a bit more)
3. The characters are
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I guess I'll never be a Rollins fan. I feel a bit bad about this as I have friends here who really like his work. bear that in mind and realize that my review is subjective...it's how I liked the book.

This one is better (imo) than the other I read by Mr. Rollins (The Judas Strain), but still it lost me. I mean you'd think a book with Nazi scientists, mutant horrors, a chemical/biological threat, daring rescues, harrowing escapes, action...and an/the answer to the ultimate evolutionary ques
Mike French
Kept me up late two nights. That is why I gave it 4 stars.A wild roller coaster ride in Denmark,Nepal and South Africa! Non-stop action from start to finish.
Angela
I picked up James Rollins' Black Order on another impulse buy, half-certain that it was going to suck after I'd gotten burned on my last attempt to impulse-buy a thriller. This time around I didn't get a spectacular read, but it turned out to be not half-bad. I did have the disadvantage of coming in partway into a series, which meant several character relationships had been established before the start of this particular story... but it didn't hinder the telling of this one too much.

Turns out th
Skies
Guess it just wasnt my style. The dialog was predictable, trite, and read like a script to a mediocre summer action movie. It didnt give enough credit to the readers, since instead of developing plot and story through understandable events and reactions, the characters stated obvious or unasked-for details to each other. Couldnt get into it.
On the plus side, it talked a little about some ideas about evolution and intelligent design in a somewhat creative way, but even this was washed out by laz
Nazmus Sakib

aryan mithology
logic and thrill
1st sing of life to perfection of life
love & reality

all this facts give this book a solid ground. the science behind this novel is fascinating. but his characters always explain it nicely.

i am a great fan of sigma force novel. i started with Map of Bones. i wont say this book is the best but i can definitely say this is a very thrilling novel and worth a shot.

"The truth is too beautiful to die and
Meika
I generally compare all secret-society/illuminati/techno-conspiracy novels against Foucault's Pendulum, and against Da Vinci Code. DVC is a 1, FP is a 5.
The characters started out like the usual stock characters... black ops guy, hawt female doc doing research, German engineers with Nazi allegiances... etc ad yawn. But then there was some actual character development! I mean, more than I hoped for from a mass market techno-thriller. They're developed along fairly predictable dimensions (the cha
Chris
The best Sigma Force novel by far (I've also read no. 5). I always learn so much about Science, Technology and History whenever I read a a Rollins that my head spins! However, the science behind this novel is fascinating, for some they may find it a little hard to grasp, but his characters always explain it so well. The evolutionary bits were amazing, and I find evolution so boring at school - not any more thanks to Physics!

As for the history - there was clearly more to the Nazis than I thought.
Siv30
הוצאת מודן, 2009, 464 עמ`

בימי חלדי התעניינתי מאוד במדעים אבל במיוחד בביולוגיה. עד כדי כך שבהכרעה בין מגמת אמנות למגמת ביולוגיה בחרתי בזו האחרונה. במיוחד ריתקו אותי נושאים שקשורים לאבולוציה וגנטיקה.

לכן, כשגיליתי שאין כל כך פרנסה בהתמחות כביולוגית, אך טבעי זה היה להמשיך במסלול שיכלול היבטים פילוסופים ועיוניים של הנושאים המדעיים ושוב במיוחד ביולוגיה.

מאלה אתם יכולים להבין שכשתגל הציעה לי ספר מתח שעוסק בהיבטים של ביולוגיה, אבולוציה וגנטיקה, קפצתי על המציאה כמוצאת שלל רב.

הספר, שמשלב אמיתות היסטוריות ו
Magiccats
Absolutely loved this book. One of the best mystery, action adventure novels I have read. The author pulled me in with his mystery of the Bell and the quantum theory behind the experiments. The characters were genuine with all their strengths and weaknesses. Just a thoroughly enjoyable book.
Jupiter9 Schmitz
A basic potboiler.

The kind where every sentence is a new paragraph.

Because it fills up the pages. And sounds emphatic.

But it's supposed to involve Nazis, science and "quantum mechanics." I can't wait to see how they do it.

Updated to say I don't even remember if I finished the book.
Janey
Really enjoyed this book and the 3 different story arcs set in South Africa, Denmark and the Himalayas and how it all came together at the end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Bob
James Rollins' Sigma Force has 2 foes in this one, a secret group buried in the Himalayas trying to resurrect a secret Nazi power source/weapon has a accident and has caused sickness and deaths in the surrounding country side. Painter Crowe in the area is caught as well and ends up a prisoner of the secret group along with a Dr. who had been there investigation the sickness. Meanwhile another Sigma operative Commander Grayson Pierce is in Europe looking into why someone has been searching for an ...more
Sharon
What would you expect from James Rollins, but another exiting thrill-ride. It was great to revisit Painter Crowe, Gray Pierce, Monk and Kat - and none of these characters disappointed. As usual, there was nonstop adventure all over the world, as well as a few surprises toward the end. My only complaint is that it's quite a feat juggling all the scenarios and the ample major/minor characters. A little harder than usual this time (hence the four stars) but I managed, and by the book's end, was roo ...more
Steve Opperman
James Rollins again delivers a terrific story spanning the full range of excitement, suspense, emotion,and all the other elements that go together to make a great novel. This story, however, takes some giant leaps in the realm of believable story lines. In his previous novels, Rollins made a point of sticking to the realm of the possible. This story leaps right out of the starting gate from the very first chapter, delving into the atrocities of the Nazi regime from World War II and brings it rig ...more
Michelle♥
Dlora
Black Order is the third in the Sigma Force novels and I liked this one better than the last one. Again it is a blend of historical fact and science wrapped up in fast adventure and action. In this case the history follows the Nazis' technological race for discoveries to advance the war and to develop the perfect master race. After World War II, the Allies madly scrambled to possess Nazi research while the Nazis sought to destroy or hide it. Our fictional characters race from the Himalayas to So ...more
Melody
Jul 30, 2008 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature audience wanting non-stop action combined with quantum physics
Recommended to Melody by: my sister
I have for several years been interested in quantum physics and the double slit experiment. But I've never heard it put across the way James Rollins did in this book, Black Order.

This the second Sigma Force novel I have read. I think I am working backwards through the series, and I appreciate that he wrote them in such a way that I am able to do that.

I loved how he can draw you into sympathy with the characters in the story and how the people you think are the "bad guys" have hidden depths. The
Abigail
This book was good, a bit weird and far-fetched, but good.

My favourite thing about the book was that when a character spoke in German or Dutch, the author wrote out the German and the Dutch (with a translation or a paraphrase afterwards). It was a comforting sign that I understood all of the German and it was fun testing my Dutch skills (they're weak, in case you're wondering).

I was originally a bit annoyed that the book was about Germans and about the Nazis because the only reason Germans eve
Radostina
This is by far the best James Rollins book I've read so far. Demonstrating his impressive scope of vision and imagintion, he pulls together science, history and the occult into a plot that grabs you and holds you tight until the last page.

While I found some other books by this author quite readable but still sadly shallow and lacking feasibility, "Black Order" has no such flaw. The opening of the book takes place in post World War II Germany, which I think will hook many European readers as myse
N Mursidi
Mengungkap Warisan Terakhir Adolf hitler
Jurnal Nasional, Minggu 20 april 2008

Judul buku : Black Mission
Pengarang : James Rollins
Penerbit : Dastanbook, Jakarta
Cetakan : Pertama, Nov 2007
Tebal buku : 668 halaman

KEKALAHAN Jerman pada Perang Dunia II, ternyata tak menjadikan sekutu menyia-nyiakan warisan berharga Nazi seperti tanah, sumber daya, riset bahkan telnologi Jerman untuk dijarah. Tak salah, jika Inggris, Amerika, Prancis dan Rusia bersaing memperebutkan "warisan" tersebut. Meski sejumlah p
Kevin Rubin
Sort of a James Bond meets Angels and Demons thing here... But faster paced than either of them.

Some of this is straight from James Bond... We have the bad guys in their mountain fortress, including its own internal railway system. We have the hero at an auction for a rare item, although in this case it's his companion who, with nimble fingers, swaps the real item for a fake and tells the hero that if he'd won it "I would've said it was a fake".

Another scene right out of Star Wars. Our captured
Dipanjan
See the problem with a James Rollins novel is that you CANNOT slow read it. You cannot savor them over a longer period of time. And that is because, HE DOESN’T LET the pace drop!! He insists on racing you through his stories. With James Rollins, speed is the only stability.

It was so GODDAMN hard to slow read this book. It’s helter-skelter in every word, every sentence, every page. Himalayas to Copenhagen to Washington to South Africa. Jesus Christ. SLOW DOWN Mr. Rollins. For God’s sake!!

I can’t
What order? 2 30 Aug 17, 2013 05:31PM
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • Sign Of The Cross (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #2)
  • The Codex
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
James Rollins is the New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins has a knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality that has been hailed by critics and embraced by millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...

Sigma Force (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
  • The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Eye of God (Sigma Force #9)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
  • The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, #11)
Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2) Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1) The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5) The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4) The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)

“Often-times it's madness, not genius that moves the world forward. Who else but the mad would reach so far, stretching for the impossible and, in so doing, prove the impossible possible!” 47 likes
“Wringin' your hands only stops you from rollin' up your sleeves.” 18 likes