Start by marking “No Apology: The Case for American Greatness” as Want to Read:
No Apology: The Case for American Greatness

No Apology: The Case for American Greatness

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,145 ratings  ·  290 reviews
On his first presidential visit to address the European nations, President Obama felt it necessary to apologize for America’s international power. He repeated that apology when visiting Latin America, and again to Muslims worldwide in an interview broadcast on Al-Arabiya television.

In No Apology, Mitt Romney asserts that American strength is essential—not just for our own
Published March 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No Apology, please sign up.

Nadia Because of his overwhelming disdain for 47% of the country.

Donald
There is no doubt that Mitt Romney is a controversial figure in America today. Democrats attack him, Republicans are divided. Unlike so many other politicians, however, Romney has articulated his positions here in clear English. Politicians tend to be experts on what others think, yet amazingly vague on their own positions. Like him or not, Mitt has the courage to say what he thinks.

Romney applies the title “No Apology” throughout the book. While superficially a critique of Obama's Apology tour
Naomi
Nov 06, 2012 Naomi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely nobody
all right, all right. i give! uncle! i can't read it anymore! make it stop!

i got about halfway through this and i just couldn't force myself to continue. in the very first chapter there's obvious obfuscation about his family. 'they fled to Mexico because of religious persecution.' (i'm paraphrasing.) that's all he said about it. doesn't mention that the persecution was because his great-grandfather was a polygamist, and the persecution they suffered was that completely unreasonable one woman-one
Joshua Steimle
I've written my more in-depth review at http://www.libertyqa.org/people/no-apology-mitt-romney-review.html, but to sum things up, I found the book horrifying. Yes, there are some things I agree with, but I find Romney's views on foreign policy uninformed and dangerous, his attitude toward other countries and peoples condescending, his apparent ignorance of natural law and individual rights frightening, and his trust in smart people being able to wield the power of government effectively....well, ...more
Robert
I am not likely to vote for Romney (assuming he becomes the Republican nominee), but I give him credit for writing a readable, interesting book. Yes, it's self-promoting and not particularly daring, as books of this genre tend to be, but his intelligence and penchant for data-driven problem-solving are apparent throughout. The man understands public policy and argues his side effectively. All in all I liked "No Apology" about as much as "The Audacity of Hope"; in some ways I liked it more.

I disa
John Brown
Political TV ads can be fun. And annoying.

Debates can be fun. And maddening.

You can indeed learn things about the candidates from watching the ads and debates. But fifteen and thirty second snippets of information really don’t give you the full picture. And sometimes they actually hide the facts, producing nothing more than informational smog.

Recently, I decided I wanted to really know what Mitt Romney thought. What he was about. What he hopes to accomplish if he wins the presidency. If Mitt was
Allisonavandenberg
Warning: politics ahead!

I'm trying to read all of the major candidates' books before I vote next year and I started with Romney. I was impressed by the detailed level of his plans to improve the nation on several levels although it was a struggle to get through the first several chapters of the book on national security and defense - I'm more interested in social issues but appreciate his knowledge and detail and could trust him as an international leader. He really believes in America as the wo
Ashley
This is one intelligent guy. I mostly agree with all of his ideas for the direction our country should (must, really) go. I wish he was a little more imaginative as far as fixing the education system goes. I loved Glenn Beck's books, probably because he's not actually running for office and can say whatever he wants. Romney takes a more moderate, practical approach, which makes sense. He says the school voucher program, which Beck and many others tout, is "politically infeasible," for example. T ...more
Bonnie
I wanted to give this book a fair go and read it all the way through but after skipping most of the first few chapters about Foreign Policy and getting irritated with the chapters on Economy, I decided to just stop reading. Politics between the two major parties, I'm convinced, comes down to differing philosophies. It's not that one's right and the other's wrong so much that it's each envisions a different successful society.
Not everyone measures success in dollar signs.
Mitt Romney spends much
Clyn
I found this book very interesting as it educated me on many things in the world of government politics in which I felt my knowledge was lacking. Clearly this book is written from a Republican view, but it is not a democrat bashing work. In the book, Romney criticizes both parties, as well as the media, and other forces at currently work to weaken America and diminish productivity and thus economic growth. Instead of just exaggerating problems and telling his readers who is to blame, Romney prop ...more
Richard
Love him, hate him, or something in between, you can usually count on Mitt Romney giving a straight answer - in interviews, in debates, and in his new book. Mitt is an analytical guy, a competence that serves him well as he describes the vital issues facing America today and how we as a nation should deal with them. In the course of the book, we also learn the highlights of his past and personal life and how his experiences have shaped his beliefs.

Sometimes the book isn't real exciting, as a num
Scott
I rate half of this book at two stars and half at four. The worst half is the half where I got the sense that Mitt was writing what he wanted the reader to read. The politician in him was on display, and the rhetoric abounded. He seemed to dumb himself down, reciting silly slogans with which no one can disagree ("pursue the difficult" and "the case for American greatness" come to mine).

The other half, however, was quite good. What seems to be the real Mitt surfaced as he used his intellectual ab
Jessica
I picked this up because I felt that I needed to understand Mitt Romney better. His character is outstanding, but I wasn't familiar with his ideas.

The vision he has for America is amazing. He loves this country and will make no apologies for stating that it is the greatest nation on earth. The reason for this book, he shares, is that during the debates, candidates are only given sixty seconds to solve an extremely complex issue. Because he didn't feel that was enough time, he wanted to explain h
Ashley
I LOVED this book. It isn't a thrilling page turner but a really educational read. I laughed and cried and more importantly, did lots of thinking during this book. Romney does a terrific job of providing and explaining data and translating that into proposed action. I really liked that he spent his time explaining the issues and then giving detailed information about his position rather than just attacking others. A very informative and powerful book.
Kim

I had to hand off the book to the next book club person to read, it made me wish I had bought it so I could write down all of my favorite quotes out of it. I really liked this book!

I like it for a number of reasons: one, main stream media and fox news just don't report what is going on and what the best options are to fix it. I wish political leaders weren't made heroes and villains all the time, it make us as a whole over look what is going on and how many opinions there are on how to fix it.
Monica
If anyone ever has a doubt as to Mitt Romney's presidential qualifications, experience, knowledge, intentions, and principles, s/he should read this book. I have never read such an insightful and inspiring book about America and the issues we face today. I wish it was required reading for every high schooler in America.

We've become jaded as a nation regarding America and politics in this country. Politicians who promise the world but fail to deliver has become the status quo. We accept that as
Emily
Mitt Romney makes his case for the direction he feels America should be going and how to get us there, highlighting "three pillars that sustain a free and strong America." These pillars are a strong economy, a strong military, and a free and strong people (in the book, mostly manifested through culture and education). This is American exceptionalism with no holds barred and Mr. Romney makes a compelling case for it.

Not surprisingly with his background, Mr. Romney's strength is in his grasp of ec
David
Any book about political issues written by a politician will have a hard time pulling above two stars, whatever their party affiliation. If nothing else, this book proves that Romney is a skillful politician, equal in demagoguery and equivocation to anyone, Republican or Democrat. He starts off wasting no time and gets right in to showering American readers with praise for how great and noble they are, what he refers to as ‘American Exceptionalism,” and then goes on to call out what’s wrong with ...more
Jimmie
I did it. I finished the book without setting it on fire. It’s a good thing my new apartment doesn’t have a garbage disposal because it would’ve been put to good use.

One of the things that bugged me most about this book was that there was no appendix at the back listing his sources. I mean, how do you write a book about politics and policy, making all sorts of claims and references to other writers, scholars, scientists, and policy wonks and not cite your sources!? That’s high school composition
Renee
Slow read. Full of statistics and history, but not much emotion. I actually think I liked Romney more before I read this (as opposed to Sarah or Meghan, whom I liked better after reading their books).

Some quotes:

"Obama sends a signal that he is eager to negotiate at any time, any place, without conditions; the effect of this is to cede all of the power and leverage to our enemies." [Overdramatic...c'mon.]

"[Obama] replied, 'I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect the Brits belie
Chris
I read the book not knowing what to expect, given some conservative rhetoric is sometimes just about bashing the liberals (although sometimes deservedly so but it doesn’t solve any problems). This book actually backed up some views with data and studies instead of just being a “feel good” book with meaningless chants or special slogans to disillusion the reader or tricking them into thinking that they are accomplishing something meaningful or positive. He has some real answers that would work fo ...more
Kristen Wampner
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney begins his book with a review of the role played by the United States in world affairs. Of the four current contenders for superpower status--America, Russia, China and extreme fundamentalist Islam--only America takes a respectful stance toward other nations and peoples. The American approach is based on harmonious principles of political and economic freedom. Considering the aid we have given, the wars we have fought, and the territory we have returned ...more
Darby
Governor Romney uses this book to make clear his concern that steps must be taken to prevent America's decline. He states at the outset he has always been interested in what has caused previous great cultures to decline and it shows: he uses History books and scholars, think tank studies and his own opinions. He points out not only the obvious reasons (resting on laurels, failing to innovate, etc.) but many other, interesting beliefs.

He then turns to what to do to keep America from precipitating
Jenny-Marie
If you plan to vote in this election than you ought to read this book. This book is an insightful look into who Mitt Romney really is as an American leader and shows how his life experiences have influenced his views. He's well read, thoughtful, an experienced leader/role model and strategic thinker. Mitt brings new ideas and solutions to the table for readers to think about.
Anna
Mar 12, 2010 Anna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I will edit this as I finish. He was not my first choice, but so far, I am enjoying this book with its old-fashioned patriotism. I definitely think we could stand to be "proud to be an American" again. And I like that he thinks we can defend America and become the great nation that we use to be.
Lisa
I was impressed with how well he explained the issues and his position on them. I learned so much and better understand why Romney should have the chance to serve as president. I gave 4 instead of 5 stars mostly because political books are hard for me to get through and get excited about.
Brenda Gail
I learned so much about Mitt Romney that I didn't know. He is not only a very compassionate person but he is also very smart about many things. I now know that he would definitely make a creat president who would actually be a LEADER!
Ben Coes
Great book by a fantastic guy. He calls it as he sees it, very straightforward.
David
I'm only about 1/10 of the way through this book and I find myself fundamentally in disagreement with almost everything he says. His comparison of governments to businesses is such a bad analogy that its hard to read. Often, I find Romney to be a puppet of Limbaugh, whose phrases and buzz words Romney borrows without apology. No apology indeed . . .

Almost 1/3 done now. Romney is fear-mongering now. Mostly riffing on George W Bush's War on Terror rhetoric, he talks about Islam in a way that is co
Jeff Stockett
It's hard to review a book like this. It's not like something like this will keep you on the edge of your seat. But, I gave it a good rating because I feel it accomplished its purpose.

I read this book to help me decide if I could support Mitt Romney for president. I have a few concerns about some things in his past, but this book convinced me that, yes, I could support him for President of the United States. That doesn't mean I've definitely decided I'll vote for him but he did convince me that
Drew
Favorite quote from the book:
“…Critics at home and abroad claimed that we entered Kuwait and then Iraq to secure oil for ourselves, yet we left after the first Gulf War and we still buy oil like every other country, even after we were obliged to return and topple Saddam for good. For the trillions of dollars those conflicts cost, we could have bought a lot more oil than either country will ever send us.
The critics may bellow, but “facts are stubborn things.” During my lifetime, America has paid
  • A Mormon in the White House?: 10 Things Every Conservative Should Know About Mitt Romney
  • Rebooting the American Dream: 11 Ways to Rebuild Our Country
  • Conservative Victory: Defeating Obama's Radical Agenda
  • Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
  • The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
  • Overhaul: An Insider's Account of the Obama Administration's Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry
  • Were You Born on the Wrong Continent?: How the European Model Can Help You Get a Life
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • The Real Romney
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine
  • The Obama Diaries
  • Defined By Christ
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
Mitt Romney is an American businessman and Republican party politician, who served as the 70th Governor of Massachusetts from 2003-2007. He is also the son of George W Romney (former Governor of Michigan) and Lenore Romney.

Romney earned an undergraduate degree at Stanford University and BYU where he was Valedictorian. He then earned a joint MBA/J.D. from Harvard Business School and Harvard Law Sch
More about Mitt Romney...
Believe in America: Mitt Romney's Plan for Jobs and Economic Growth Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership,and the Olympic Games Mitt Romney: In His Own Words Whatever You Choose to Be: Eight Tips for the Road Ahead

“In order to become a success, a business doesn't just have to do well, it has to to better than its competitors. Being number one isn't just about bragging rights. Often it means the difference between prospering and merely hanging on.” 14 likes