Start by marking “Living Gluten-Free for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Living Gluten-Free for Dummies

Living Gluten-Free for Dummies

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Practical, delicious ways to manage a gluten-free dietIf you have a wheat allergy, gluten intolerance, celiac disease, or you just want to enjoy the benefits of a diet free of wheat, barley, and rye, then this guide is for you. Trusted author Danna Korn explains the medical problems associated with gluten and shows you step by step how to make the transition to a gluten-fr ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 362 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Wiley Publishing (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Living Gluten-Free for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Gluten-Free for Dummies

Kim
I inhaled this book. some of it was a little bit too rushed, or too much info.. the recipes were dissapointing, im a microwave/cook from a box girl, i don't own a bread machine, haven't the foggiest what rice paper is. I was hoping since it was a dummies book, the recpies would be dummied down.. I'm cooking for myself and a 6 year old, im a single mom, i have no desire to make some gormet meal that all the cook books ive been seeing are telling me to make..bring on the gluten free mac and cheese ...more
Lia
Much of this book is lifted from Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Living. Is it better? Well, depends on what you like. This book is heavily formatted, and if you like the dummies style of formatting, you will probably really like this book. I have a few issues with the dummies style. It's a formula, which means that the information has to fit a certain mold. This results in a couple of problems: hyper-presentation, where the information is presented as quickly as po ...more
Tami
Not so very long ago, the vast majority of people had no idea what gluten was let alone how the mysterious substance affected the body. Those who were put on gluten-free diets for health reasons were pretty much left on their own as even most doctors and dieticians had no clue about which foods actually did or didn't contain gluten. Not only did this cause confusion but likely a lot of unnecessary suffering through the ingestion of gluten from foods that were thought safe, 100% gluten-free, and ...more
Tara
If you're in NEED of going gluten-free then this is the book to read. The author wrote this based on her son having celiac disease. If you are just considering gluten-free as a way to have a healthier diet and possibly help with some minor ailments, but don't feel the need to be strict then you might want to consider reading a different book. The information is all good and backed by research resources, but heavily skewed toward people with celiac disease.
Tanya Simon
If you just found out you have celiac this is the book for you. She boils everything down to a simple explanation for a sometimes devastating diagnosis. She has a delightful sense of humor, which made the book go down easy. I feel prepared to start this new chapter of my life!
Jenn
I must admit I am a fan at the "For Dummies" books. I find that they are well written, easy to read and overall enjoyable while presenting factual information on the topic at hand.

As a new patient of Celiac Disease and therefore the "Gluten Free" life, I found this the best book thus far that I have read or skimmed. It has the nuts-n-bolts about Celiac, from the health problems to the how to fix.

The book offers many suggestions on ways to approach the new diet including menus, recipes, eating o
Lori
Its always good to have multiple references when you are researching topics. This was a very basic introduction to living Gluten-free.
Tracy
An interesting ready, got a few insights into the workings of the gluten
Kristine
I found this to be a good reference with OK recipes. For gluten free recipes the whole family will eat I like Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking more than this book . . . I kept it on the shelf for reference for the last month. I'm being tested tomorrow for Celiac and I imagine based on what the results of the test are whether I go out and buy a plethora of Celiac-themed books.
Karin
Excellent for anyone with celiac or gluten intolerance.
Kristen
This one is is really really for dummies, wow.
Kari Bjordahl
Haven't started this yet. Sadly I have to follow it now.
Cecelia
When I first found out I had a sensitivity to Gluten, I had no idea where to start in order to change my lifestyle and begin healing. A friend of mine with Celiac disease recommended this book to me because she found it very helpful. It's full of easy to understand information about the latest tests and research about the negative health effects gluten has on our immune, neurological, and digestive systems. This book assisted me in implementing the changes I had to make on my journey to health.
Brooke
This was a much appreciated resource for me when I became gluten-free. It gives great encouragement and advice--including recipes--on how to make the transition. It entertained and inspired me. I should be recommending this to more people--and buy it, so I can have it on hand to lend out. I think it'd also be a helpful read for people who would like to know more about the GF diet for a loved one, friend, etc. This book is especially suited for parents who have children who must eat GF.
Gretchen Schmidt
This is the book that made me realize I had been living as a gluten-intolerant in a world of glutenous foods for 6 years. I'm so grateful for this book's helpful, humorous and honest writing, covering topics from the symptoms of a gluten intolerance to how to handle dinner parties with loads of foods you can't eat. I feel very prepared to take on this new lifestyle and confident that I can succeed.
Crystel
This book was amazing. A perfect beginner book for someone interested in a gluten free diet. It talks a bit about the paleolithic diet (which is gluten free) as well. It is educational and entertaining. It is interesting, uplifting and encouraging. The way the book is written, you can read the whole book or just select sections that interest you most. I'd definitely recommend this book.
Katie
A friend gave me this book a few days after I found out that gluten could no longer be a part of my diet. It was a helpful first step in learning about eating a gluten free diet. Since I've been diagnosed there seem to be a ton of cookbooks out there with more challenging and creative dishes but this is a great way to ease into the gluten free lingo and basic dishes.
Catetyson
I am finding this book very helpful while still learning to deal with my wheat allergy. I have other wheat free and gluten free books, but this one breaks it down into an easy to find/reference way.

It also simplifies those medical explanations! I need a little simplification.
Stefanie
I would recommend this book to anyone that needs to be on the Gluten Free Lifestyle. It is very informative and has some recipes as well. I have read the book and bookmarked several pages.

Very useful book. Read the month of August 2013 and use it as a reference book. :-)
Sofia Malinowski
This book is a must read if you are living on a gluten free diet, thinking about switching over or you know someone living on a gluten free diet.

This is the most informative book I have read about gluten free living, and it is filled with great recipes.
Michele
This book was my go to resource when I began to eat a gluten free diet. A lot of the information was not relevant to my situation but the rest was easy to understand. I was constantly using it as a reference until I knew exactly what I could and couldn't eat.
Rebecca
Good book. Lots of useful information and recipes. Lots of ideas on living gluten-free without having to buy so many specialty items. I'm still trying to get my husband to read it, but I think it'll take a few more pushes for that to happen.
Lisa Hale
Fantastic guide and a must have when starting the Gluten Free lifestyle. The advice is homey and down to Earth. I know I will be referring to this book over and over and over as my family goes down the Gluten Free/Casein Free diet path.
Camille
I enjoyed this book, it's entertaining and upbeat. The author is earthy and no-nonsense and gives helpful informational advice and recipes for living gluten-free. This is a very good basic reference book for this lifestyle.
Grace Jensen
Very informative.

While a lot of the information is redundant, and some of it seemed like extreme advice, it's a wonderful resource and alarmingly accurate. I specifically got this because it is in the For Dummies series.
April
Read cover to cover in a few hours. Some good information and a few moments of " yup, I've done that". Gave me a renewed outlook to following this lifestyle as it is possible, and the resources listed are helpful.
Aj
May 01, 2012 Aj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: non-fic
Great overview: not overwhelming or focusing on the scare factor of cross-contamination. Recommended by my doctor (who is also gluten and dairy free). Appreciate the tie-in between gluten and dairy sensitivities.
Ella
Very educational being new to a GF diet. Discovering that GF flour is not a 1 to 1 substitute for wheat flour will have undoubtedly saved me from baking mishaps in the future. Lists of grains I never knew existed.
Cj Sime
The best part of the book was her easy to understand explanation of how celiacs works verses how intolerance works. Her description was very detailed but not too technical.
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your  Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back & How You Can Too
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide
  • Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap
  • Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic
  • Gardening For Dummies
  • Jump Start Your Gluten-Free Diet! Living with Celiac / Coeliac Disease & Gluten Intolerance (Let's Eat Out with Celiac / Coeliac & Food Allergies!)
  • Feng Shui For Dummies
  • Being Vegetarian for Dummies
  • Vegetable Gardening for Dummies
  • Yoga For Dummies
  • Poetry for Dummies
Gluten-Free Cooking for Dummies Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Living Gluten-Free Kids: Raising Happy, Healthy Children with Celiac Disease, Autism, and Other Conditions Living Gluten-Free for Dummies: 2nd Edition and Gluten-Free Cooking for Dummies Bundle