Start by marking “Bus” as Want to Read:
Bus

Bus

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  29 reviews
He was one of pro football's most beloved and respected stars, admired not only by NFL fans and his own teammates, but by his opponents as well. Super Bowl champion; six time Pro Bowler; NFL ComebackPlayer of the Year; NFL Man of the Year; fifth all-time leading rusher in the NFL; future Hall of Famer; now NBC Sports commentator.
You may think you know Jerome Bettis, but y
Published September 4th 2007 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bus

Scott Holstad
I really enjoyed reading Jerome Bettis's account of his life, and not just because I'm a Steelers fan. The book was interesting and was a fun read. It starts with his childhood in Detroit, where he could have gotten himself into trouble (he was stealing things, selling them for a profit, and eventually selling drugs) if not for finding football in high school. There, he became a great linebacker and fullback with college scholarships from tons of places. Tennessee was on his short list, which wa ...more
George K.
The Bus: My Life in and out of a Helmet by Jerome Bettis
215 Pages
Autobiography

Jerome Bettis is one of football's best running backs He is a Super Bowl Champion, NFL Man of the Year, and an NBC Sports commentator. He is from Detroit and lived in the "Hood". He always wanted to be a pro bowler until he went to high school. He started to play football in high school and loved it ever since. He went to college at Notre Dame and was a running back with the number 6. When he went to the draft the Rams
hamptonenglish10
David Huber
Ms. Emmett
Academic English 10
April 5, 2013

Jerome Bettis is the ultimate NFL hero of both children and adults. Bettis is best known by his nickname, “The Bus”. Opponents respected him, teammates admired him and fans adored him. For the city of Pittsburgh, he was the heart and soul of their much-loved football team, The Pittsburgh Steelers. When he finished his career in Pittsburgh, he went out in glory, winning Super Bowl XL. But Bettis’ life wasn’t all success and trophies. In The Bu
Anthony
Jerome Bettis A.K.A. “The Bus” is well known for his exploits on the field as a running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is admired around the league and by fans around the world not only for his football accomplishments but also for his charitable work. In this book we get to see the man behind the helmet. Jerome Bettis gives the reader a brief history of his life from his days growing up in a tough Detroit neighborhood down through his career in the NFL with the Steelers.

In this book Jerom
Jloschinskey
Brad Lucak
Ccarrollpomp
The Bus was a very good book. There were parts of it that went a little bit slow. Especially in the beginning when the main character, future hall of famer Jerome Bettis is growing up. I liked how he started with part of the end. "Here's the give to Jerome. He has it and-oh no! he fumbled the football." This hints at the end when Bettis wins the super bowl in his hometown of of Detroit. I like how he doesn't give away what happens in the end by cutting the story short. The end of this book was ...more
Malin Craig
The Bus:My life in and out of a Helmet, by Jerome Bettis, is a tremendous autobiography. It has very interesting stories from Jeromes early life. His candy selling racket at school, and his transformers shop lifting obsession. I learned many interesting things about Jerome, who i had thought to be a very upstanding citizen. He grew up in hardcore Detroit, where he sold crack and lead a double life from the goody two shoes life he lead at his home. Jerome, one of the top NFL running backs of all ...more
Matt
It was a very interesting book about Jerome Bettis life.
chris
If you are a Bettis fan or a Steeler fan or just a football fan then you will enjoy reading this. Bettis gives you a look into his life and a little insight into the Steeler organization and college football. Sometimes it is a little self serving but Bettis is genuinely sincere as he talks about some rather questionable decisions in his quest for a super bowl ring. He is most sincere when he talks about his charity work.
India Celeste
I checked this book out of the library when I came across it. Already had respect for Jerome Bettis but hearing his story of how he pushed himself and came about to make strong decisions via mentorship really made it evident that having the right people around you can take you places. I learned a lot of behind-the-scenes of the Steelers and NFL, as well as how the mind can push the body to pass it's "limitations". Great read!
Amanda
This was a great read, and provided more detail than the Bus's last SuperBowl memoir. This book was awesome, because it described the Bus's whole career, and not just one season. Since Bettis is my all-time favorite Running Back, and he played for the Steelers, this was one book that I couldn't put down. I also loved reading what Hines Ward, Ben Roethlisberger, and Willie Parker had to say about him.
Dean
I enjoyed this book because I am a Bettis fan and a Steelers fan and it was fun to relive some of the memories of his career and the road to winning Super Bowl XL. The writing quality was so-so. Jerome is not the best author in the world. At the end of the day, the book was OK.
Holly
i read this book w/my 11 year old son who is a steelers fan. he had to read a biography for a school book report. i found it very enjoyable and inspirational and my son, who doesn't like to read at all, enjoyed it also. it is a very inspirational book and i wish all kids would have as much drive as jerome did!
Tiffany
I'm not really into football but being from Pittsburgh, how can I not read this book? Reading the book i felt that it was more narrative than anything else, which is a good thing for a sports bio. Bettis comes across as the selfless man we all know him to be and is honest to fault about his life and his career.
Brigid
Feb 23, 2008 Brigid rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brigid by: Steerlers fans
Shelves: memoirs
This book was pretty much as I expected. It is a chronological story of a jock's life, and inner city kid making it in the NFL. Non the less, and enjoyable easy read, and interesting for Steelers fans to relive the Superbowl victory. I also liked hearing the story from the players perspective.
Renay
If you are a Pittsburgh Steelers fan this is a great book for you. Bettis shows the other side of football and many of us do not see. The struggle to "survive", the constant injuries, and the mind games. Fast read, good excitement and a great way to relive super bowl XL
Barbara
Has some fun inside details about my favorite football team. Presents the reality of the cultural divide between life in a poor neighborhood and life in the rest of our society. Illustrates the value of "paying it forward" when you are the recipient of an act of kindness.
Kirrilee
Nov 29, 2007 Kirrilee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steelers Fans/Young Men
I like Jerome even more after reading his book. He is honest, funny and very down to earth.
The football talk it a bit confusing but the lessons and messages were clear. What a great human being Jerome is.
Andrew Eberle
It was very refreshing to read a sports bio so short but still insightful. Great look at a humble (at least for an athlete) man who rumbled his way into the hearts of millions.
Allen Steele
If your a Steeler, Notre Dame, or just like a feel good story where our hero makes it to the promised land(Super Bowl) you"ll love this book. the history of "the Bus"
Connie
Great insight into what it takes to become a NFL player... not just being able to play football!

FTC disclosure: I received this book from www.paperbackswap.com.
Melissa
Great story about football and his success. Learned a lot about things that happen during and before and after games that you never hear about.
Curtis
It was a good book and taught some important family values that there is more to life then money. Also never stop trying to reach your goal.
Mariana
Jerome Bettis was a star in the NFL. After a prodigious career, he won the Super Bowl with his team, the Steelers, in 2006.
Terri
I love my Steelers. He is my favorite player. Great book. Could be biased though.
Ojas
a pretty good read about the life of jerome bettis. nice rags to riches story.
Josh Liller
Simple and decently written sports autobiography.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
  • Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • Redneck Woman:  Stories from My Life
  • Life Is Not a Fairy Tale
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Newton's Football: The Science Behind America's Game
  • Permission Slips: Every Woman's Guide to Giving Herself a Break
  • Alek: From Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel
  • The Last Headbangers: NFL Football in the Rowdy, Reckless '70s: The Era That Created Modern Sports
  • The Only Road North: 9,000 Miles of Dirt and Dreams
  • Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, Then and Now
  • The Real All Americans: The Team That Changed a Game, a People, a Nation
  • When the Game Stands Tall, Special Movie Edition: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak
  • Please Excuse My Daughter: A Memoir
  • The Vixen Diaries
Driving Home: My Unforgettable Super Bowl Run The Code: Football's Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-At-Your-Own-Risk Code of Honor The Bus The Football Code: Football's Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-at-Your-Own-Risk Code of Honor