Start by marking “Desire” as Want to Read:
Desire

Desire

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  4,227 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Upon her father's death, beautiful, headstrong Lady Clare knew that she must wed, for the protection of the Isle of Desire now fell to her. Yet when her guardian's choice of prospective husband rode through her castle gates, she felt utterly betrayed. All sinewy muscle and savage steel, Sir Gareth of Wyckmere was not the poet she'd requested but a fearsome knight whose onl ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published December 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desire

Pamela(AllHoney)
Lady Clare's father died and her guardian is Thurston of Landry. She knows she must marry and so requests a man with certain qualities. Instead she is sent Sir Gareth of Wyckmere also known as Hellhound of Wyckmere. Sir Gareth is the bastard son of Thurston of Landry and the opportunity to have his own land appeals to him. He isn't going to let a few paltry qualities keep him from it.

Fun and clever at times. I started reading this and realized I had already read it and for whatever reason my rat
Ivianis R. I.
So… by the end of the book I was absolutely sure that St. Hermione was going crazy with the desire to put a bullet through the heroine’s head just so that she would stop swearing by her entire anatomy. I wanted the same thing.

I enjoyed reading this book, there were a few things that bothered me but not many. I liked the way Quick described the language. I liked how she described the hero: strong, big, intelligent and confident. I liked how he just took command as soon as he arrived because he wa
Maria
4/23/2009: My second favorite Jayne-Ann-Krentz-writing-as-Amanda-Quick book, I enjoy reading it each year. When I got up this morning to find it snowing on Easter in St. Louis, I grabbed Desire and spent the day cozily visiting with Clare and Sir Gareth. Note that both Desire and Mystique (my two favorites) are set in earlier times than the remaining Amanda Quicks. I'm not sure why I like these better. Usually I don't care for this period in history because it is so violent and there is no appre ...more
Jessi
Lady Clare knows that after her father's death, she's going to be married off. She also knows that she doesn't want to marry some lunkhead knight. She wants a gentle poet. But her liege lord only sends two men. One who kidnapped and tried to rape her to force her into marriage and the other is his bastard son, Sir Gareth of Wyckmore, also known as the Hellhound. She knows that the latter is not a good guy and at least the Hellhound can read. Plus, he seems more intelligent than the knights she's ...more
Adrianna
Feb 03, 2010 Adrianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Adrianna by: Saw on a bookshelf in the library
This is my favorite novel written by Amanda Quick. Clare, the heroine, creates perfume. She marries Gareth, the Hellhound of Wyckmere, and the two get caught up in an evil plot to steal an alchemist's book. One aspect that brings this tale to life is the setting, the isle of desire. It's a beautiful place and the descriptions leave me wondering if Clare and Gareth live in the garden of Eden. My favorite part of the book, though, is Clare's strong, independent nature. Quick is able to create a he ...more
ms bookjunkie
*huge happy sigh* Old favorite comfort read. Love. Love love love. It hasn't lost its magic for me, over all these years. *warm fuzzies*
Daniella
As an avid fan of the author, I was extremely tempted to giving this book 4 stars purely out of loyalty. But alas, I couldn't find it in my heart to overlook its flaws. Clare was simply too annoying for me, especially with all her "By Saint Hermione's (insert body part here)." GOD. When I reached half of the book, I've read so much about Saint Hermione's body parts that I simply wanted to bang my head on the wall.

Another thing was the pacing. Unlike her other novels (e.g. Ravished, Dangerous et
Margarks
A familiar historical romance formula in which the female character is forced to marry to save her lands. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. It had a bit of a taming of the shrew feel to it, one of my favorite shakespeare stories (along with much ado about nothing).

All in all an enjoyable read.
Annette
Clare has written to her liege Lord to tell him her father is dead and that she realizes she must marry. She lives on an island that grows flowers and herbs and provides a very good income for her, everyone who lives on the island and of course her liege Lord. Clare has been managing things for quite some time and she considers herself the Boss. She does not really want to marry, but in order to protect the island, she knows she will have to accept a husband.

She has a recipe for a husband just
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Desire was a well-written romance novel. Desire is Amanda Quick at her best! Desire is a great example of an author allowing the characters to write their stories. What I appreciated was Quick making the female character strong and independent, which is rarely seen in romance novels.

With mother, father and brother dead and no other relatives, Lady Clare was left to run her father’s kingdom the Isle of Desire. Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, aka the Hellhound of Wyckmere, born a bastard but raised in hi
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is one of my first books of Amanda Quick’s I’ve read. It involves an elder bastard son and a strong willed heiress. Garath has had to become a knight because his lordly father expected it. He becomes known as the Hellhound by all. Clare, on the other hand, has always had control of the Isle of Desire and the perfumes she made. When she sees that she must marry for her own protection, her guardian is Garath’s father. Garath is sent as a candidate for the marriage. It was funny to see them am ...more
Jamie
I liked this book so much when I rented it from the library about 8 years ago, I was thrilled to find a paperback version for 50 cents.

I guess I've changed. The story is still cute. Lady Johanna has recently lost her father and brother. She lives on the Isle of Desire, and it needs protection, she must marry. Enter Gareth. He comes in, and is clever and sexy and this once independent young woman suddenly does whatever he wants.

Another thing that sort of annoyed me was her use of "Saint Hermione
Jess
Sometimes you just want to read an old school, historical romance, and Amanda Quick has you covered. Not my favorite couple ever, but a satisfying read nonetheless.
Sandra
A very smooth Medieval romance.

Lady Clare, 23, officially mistress of the Isle of Desire since her father passed away, but in actuality since she was 12, needs to get married. It is the only way to take care of her people and the island.

Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, the Hellhound, a landless knight, bastard son of Lord Thurston, is sent by his father to marry her.

Two people used to being in control of themselves and all their retainers are going to clash, and they do. Then there is the murder of the r
Cristina
«En muchos aspectos, ella había conseguido exactamente lo que quería en un marido, incuso tenía más de lo que había especificado.
Pero no era suficiente. Quería amor.
Y según Gareth, el amor era para poetas y locos.»

La isla del deseo no me parece una gran novela. Pero ha sabido mantenerme en vilo y pegada a sus páginas una noche y una mañana entera. Y yo no soy de leerme un libro en menos de una semana. Pero la verdad es que de vez en cuando no está mal poder hacerlo.

Es una historia de románti
Zoe
Ahhhh good old Amanda Quick!

Sometimes you read a few pretty bad books, trying to get to know a few new writers, get used to their styles, and you realize: man I am tired. I want a good old-fashioned romance story where the heros, while dark nad brooding, know their responsibilities and the heroins, while strong-willed and sometimes foolishly romantic, are gentle and loving. I don't know whether it is a trend in romance novels, but nowadays readers seem to love a hellcat or a heroin, warrior pri
Aarann
Summary
The back of the book pretty much covers it. After the death of her father and an attempted kidnapping by a neighbor attempting to force marriage, Clare decides to surrender to the inevitable and write her guardian (at least I think that's who Thurston was supposed to be to her - he had some sort of control over her island even though it was largely considered to be hers and I'm not familiar enough with medieval hierarchies to remember) that she is ready to take a husband. Her guardian com
Ladysatel
Desire by Amanda Quick

Lady Clare is mistress of the Island of Desire. Here she grows her flowers and herbs to make lotions and unguents for sale at the local fair. Since her father’s and brother’s death she has been urged to marry by the Lord of the District. Lord Thurston.

Clare is reluctant to marry, especially not to her closest neighbor on the mainland, Nicholas Seaburn. Lord Thurston knows Clare needs a protector for the Island as well as a husband. Since Clare will not decide on a husband L
Rema
One of the worst novels I've come across. I was surprised, Amanda Quick novels have always been a huge favorite of mine but with Desire I'm disappointed.

I was reluctant to read this from the start, with good reason. From the first time we meet Clare, she appears to be quite immature and young, hardly the sensible, logical feminine lead she was described as by various characters throughout the book. Her logical manner (if she even has one) and her immature, rash impulses clash and that is the on
Annalisa
One of my favorite books of Jayne Ann Krentz's pseudonym when she writes historical. Lady Clare meets Sir Gareth of Wyckmere, aptly named the Hellhound.
Stephanie Bolen
Was the danger element really needed? I would have liked there to be more contest between her suitors. And a better look at his relationship with his parents.
Carina Nina
It was ok .. I really was dissapointed even thought the love story was ok ..there where too many characters ! Or is it just me who thinks that ? I don.t know , I concentrated more on the scenes between Gareth and Clare , really . What surprised me was that when they found Beatrice dead I knew Dalian had something to do with it , or at list was involved in one of the killer's plans..I was really happy that I figured that out ! I injoyed like... half of the book , because the rest was sooo boring ...more
Chumchum_88
I'm sorry to say that I have read better books by Amanda Quick than this one. My complains are based dolely upon the characters nothing else, the writing, the mystery and the thrill of the events were as expected of Amanda Quick.

For one I really didn't like Lady Clarre, she kept on rejecting Gareth since the beginning, and she didn't even have a sound reason for that. Plus she kept on saying she hates over-bearing brutes , but to me she was the one who seemed over-bearing, opinionated, fast-temp
Liz
This book was a breath of fresh air. I really liked the place where Clare and Gareth meet. Isle of Desire sounds like a magical place. Clare is a perfume maker and Gareth also likes to experiment as well. When Lord Thurston tells Clare she needs to marry, Clare has a few requirements of her own regarding a suitor. This is Clare's recipe for the perfect candidate:

"First, as regards to his physical qualities, the future lord of Desire must be a man of moderate proportions and stature. It has been
Mareena
Feb 21, 2012 Mareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical romance
Recommended to Mareena by: Library Book Sale
For my #8 Challenge (author with a pseudonym), I read Desire by Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Ann Krentz). Upon her father's death while he was traveling in Spain, Lady Clare of Desire reluctantly writes to her guardian, Lord Thurston of Landry, to find her a husband. Enclosed in her missive is a "husband recipe" with four qualities which she requires her future husband to have.

Thurston sends only two candidates for Lady Clare's hand, one man who kidnapped her for four days and the other - Sir Gareth
Cruth
"By Saint Hermione's elbow, my lord. You call this kissing?"

Plot:
Gareth was ready to give up the fighting and put down roots. Clare wasn't sure he was the one for her. But was willing to do her duty. Eventually.

Comments:
- Historical Romance - set in the time of Henry II (1133-89)
- 392 pages, 5492 kindle locations.
- m/f - reasonably frequent, reasonably explicit.
- Includes references to an anchorite, Beatrice. Anchorites were a type of religious hermit who tended to live in an anchorhold, a small
✦⟣Kelly⟢✦
Amanda Quick is a favorite author of mine. I believe I have read this book years ago. Claire is a self possessed young woman who is not only the heir to the Isle of Desire, she is the reason for its profits. Gareth is a bastard knight. He has been chosen for Claire to be her husband. The story is about the relationship of their marriage. Both trying to find a middle ground. Very enjoyable read. Funny parts, a bit of mystery, a bit of harrowing parts. All in all an absorbing read.
Emily
Lady Clare has always been independent, now that her father has passed and an unfortunate event of kidnapping from her neighbor who tried to force her into marriage, she has decided to seek help by requesting four suitors of marriage from the lord that owns her lands. Much to her disappointment she ends up with one suitor, who has no intention of leaving.

Sir Gareth of Wyckmere also known as the Hellhound of Wyckmere, has a reputation for bieng brutal when it comes to war. Upon meeting Lady Clare
namericanwordcat
Desire is one of Amanda Quick's less talked about romances. Its set in the medieval period which is very much unlike most of her other books. I so wish she would set more books in this period.

Now, this is not a overly serious medieval romance where you are going to feel steep in the history of the era and comfortable discussing nuances of history at dinner parties but it is a great book for the every day live of the the period.

I love the unusual setting of a little British Isle where flowers a
Western and Medie...: July 2014 - BOM: Desire, by Amanda Quick 16 21 Jul 18, 2014 11:43AM
Best scene! 12 57 Jan 22, 2013 02:08PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Desire (1993) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:57AM
  • Trust Me
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) Dangerous The Paid Companion Mistress