Start by marking “Elvis Takes a Backseat” as Want to Read:
Elvis Takes a Backseat

Elvis Takes a Backseat

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Memphis or Bust.

Determined to fulfill her husband's last request, Claudia McIntosh is hauling a three-foot bust of Elvis Presley in the back seat of a vintage Cadillac from Dallas to Memphis, hoping to locate the kitschy sculpture's rightful owner. Along for the ride are her eccentric aunt who knew the King of Rock 'n' Roll, and a tempermental teen with a suspicious mind o

Published December 3rd 2009 by B&H Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Elvis Takes a Backseat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis Takes a Backseat

Michele
Elvis Takes a Back Seatby award-winning novelist Leanna Ellis is the endearing story of Claudia, a young widow determined to fulfill her husband’s last request by hauling a three-foot bust of Elvis Presley in the backseat of a vintage Cadillac from Dallas to Memphis to return it to its rightful owner. The road trip—taken with an eccentric aunt who actually knew the “King of Rock ’n’ Roll,” and a temperamental teen with a suspicious mind of her own—hits some royal roadblocks and detours as these ...more
kelley
I downloaded Elvis Takes a Backseat as a free e-book offered from Kindle. I listened to it instead of reading it. The story is a pilgrimage for three women, Claudia, her Aunt Rae, and her friends daughter Ivy. The journey finds them all exploring their personal griefs, sharing common bonds, discovering secrets and coming to terms with what life has given them. This is Christian fiction so faith in God plays a large part in their ability to cope. The story was not light hearted although there wer ...more
fyc
I learned that we all go through periods of doubt. Doubt about whether Christ is in our lives,doubts as to whether He loves us, doubts about whether He hears our prayers. It is also about omitting Him from our lives and the toll life takes on us when we don't lean on Him. This is a great novel for those questioning their faith.
Carolyn
It was a book club book or I would have quit reading after about 25 pages. It didn't improve as I finished it. It is pretty silly, very light reading with not much plot. It's only redeeming feature is the way it deals with relationships between the characters. The plot was very predictible and boring.I won't choose this author again.
Amber Moore
This was a really cute book that ended up being not just about an elvis bust but also i feel about the loss and finding of faith in many different senerios. It is cute little read with undertones of faith. Not overpowering as some books can be. :)
Well, I'm a big Elvis fan so the title drew me in. The book was ok, it kind of drug on with the drama at times and some of the slams on Elvis grated on me. Overall it was a nice story with a message.
Carolyn
There were several things in this book that were predictable but so many of the issues were real life things. I loved how the three women were so different and yet weren't so different.m
Julie
I enjoyed the story and the characters and having been to Graceland and remember the day Elvis died, enjoyed the homage paid to the legend as part of the plot twists!
Caroline Clemmons
This is a terrific book. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't stop reading. Elvis Takes A Back Seat is a delightful journey of discovery.
Cyndee
I picked this book up at the library thinking it would be funny. It was not only not funny, it was predictable and preachy.
Paula
Love the story line and the characters. Will read again!
Diane Ferbrache
At a garage sale to clear out her deceased husband's stuff, Claudia comes across the large bust of Elvis that had been hidden away in the attic. Along with the bust was a note that seems to imply that she should return the bust to its home in Memphis. So Claudia, her aunt Rae, and a friend's teenage daughter head out to Memphis in a classic Cadillac with Elvis in the backseat.

This is a road trip story, but its really a story of love and grief and loss and how family and faith can help in the rec
Judy Iliff
Claudia is searching. She's not exactly sure what she needs or wants, but she knows things aren't as they should be. She lost too many people in her life, the latest being her husband who died in his middle 40s. Claudia is not the only one who is "lost". There's her Aunt Rae who epitomizes the free spirit of the 60's and Ivy who is 15. Claudia's husband loved everything Elvis. As she is getting ready for a yard sale to get rid of the things she's kept that were her husband's and others that were ...more
Julie Graves
Claudia’s husband Stu has passed away. Claudia can’t seem to part with any of Stu’s things, including a huge bust of Elvis Presley.

Claudia relegated Elvis to the attic for the past 20 years. While going through Stu’s things she finds him(Elvis) along with a note from Stu stating that Elvis needs to be returned to Memphis.

Claudia, her Aunt Rae and Ivy(Stu’s best friend Ben’s daughter) set out from Dallas to Memphis to try to find out where Stu originally got the Elvis bust. Each woman has a reaso
Jean
The writing was good and the editing better than most I've read in a e-book for a while, but the story is just a little wierd and a bit too conversional for my taste.
This is a story about a woman who has been a widow for a while, maybe a year and a half. She has also lost her mother, not so long before her husband and her father when she was young. The scene begings really at a garage sale of both her husband's and her mother's things, that her aunt and her boss, also her husband's best friend
Michelle
There are so many books out there and so little time to read them all. This is one story I recommend you take the time to enjoy. While there is nothing fluffy about this book, it does have it's humorous moments. There are also some very deep moments and emotional ties that develop between these friends whe secrets come out that challenge their beliefs. I found some of the struggles they dealt with to be very true-to-life. And when it comes to grief and loss, I dare say I don't think I've read an ...more
Donna
This was, for me, an enjoyable story. Using a setting of 3 women, each from a different generation and dealing with emotional pain and loss, on a journey to Memphis to return a large bust of Elvis, Leanna Ellis spins a tale of emotional healing and a return to faith and hope. Song titles from Elvis' hits formed the framework from which she told her story.
Carol Macdonald
I would have given it four stars. The antics Elvis produced for these three women were humorous (talk about all things Elvis, this book had it)and the areas of turmoil each one was struggling with and how they eventually dealt with them was good reading, but the "Elvis ghost" sightings were a turn off to me.
Erin
Claudia takes on the final request of her husband with determination: to return a life-size bust of Elvis to its place of origin in Memphis. Joining her for the ride is 16-year-old Ivy and Claudia's aunt Rae, who lived in Memphis and knew Elvis back in the day. Three generations of women, two with carefully guarded secrets and one who needs to find herself again. This was far from the light-hearted tale it appears at first and I read it at a time when it spoke personally to me in a big way.

On th
Deb
This imaginitive novel is about a woman who is trying to deal with the death of her husband--who loved all things Elvis. She discovers during a garage sale that the 3 foot Elvis bust he left behind contains a cryptic note about returning it to where it belongs. So next thing you know she is on the road with her aunt and her best friends teenage daughter heading to Memphis. These three women have secrets and issues they all need to work through and this pilgrimage becomes a time for them to do th ...more
Judy King
I knew this wasn't a literary great when I began, but I was in the mood for something lighter and this was a cute premise. It was a fun read -- fast paced, good story line, interesting characters I came to care about. I could have done without the small bit of evangelism and a few too many references to belief -- still, Ellis kept that skim-able and palatable -- I prefer to separate church and fiction.
Holli
Enjoyable read - but one you figure out the connection and Rae confirms it the last couple chaters are a slooooooooooooow
Kme_17
I got this one in the first read contest. This book was good. Nothing earth shattering but a decent read. It is about a women after the lost of her husband goes on a road trip to fulfill her husband’s last wish. She goes with her aunt and a teen who has her own issues. Very much a chick lit but a good one. Just a very sweet read.
Mitzi
So far, this is a fun book of a woman looking for direction in her life. She is being given signs from God but isn't "seeing" the signs. It is funny with the Elvis bust she has. I am not a big Elvis fan, but this is a fun book that makes you think about the "signs" in our life!
Patty
Lighthearted tale of three generations of women and how they deal with love, loss and letting go. Too predictable, and while the Elvis references were amusing, there were way too many. It distracted from the story after the first few chapters.
Tricia
Eh. I thought it started out well. Easy to read, light. And then it became forced. The conversations, the story line. It was a good enough read.
Kristal Cooper
All the God stuff was distracting -- I think it would have been a better book without. Otherwise, a decent story that comes to a very satisfying conclusion.
Yvonne
The story line was sweet with a few twists tossed in, such as family secrets. I did not care for the author's overuse of metaphors.
Lisa
Good story...but I don't like how the main character is CONSTANTLY asking questions...the rhetorical kind.
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Calling Home
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • Woman of Sin
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus
  • Healing for a Broken World: Christian Perspectives on Public Policy
  • Sullivan's Evidence (Carolyn Sullivan, #3)
Deep in the heart not only describes where Leanna Ellis lives in Texas but also the way she writes. Her books, whether romance, inspirational, women’s fiction, or paranormal, are infused with heartfelt emotion. Having written twenty published novels, Ellis has won many awards including the National Readers Choice Award and the Maggie Award.

When not chasing vampires through the darkened recesses of
More about Leanna Ellis...
Forsaken (Plain Fear #1) Ruby's Slippers Forbidden (Plain Fear #2) Lookin' Back, Texas Once in a Blue Moon: A Novel