Start by marking “The Calorie Man” as Want to Read:
The Calorie Man

The Calorie Man (Pump Six and Other Stories)

Short story from the world of the Windup Girl.
Published October 2005

To ask other readers questions about The Calorie Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calorie Man

Ric
Jul 02, 2012 Ric rated it really liked it
Another glimpse at the world that spawned The Windup Girl. The world-building is top-notch. This could have been a longer piece but needed a more sympathetic character than the antiques dealer, like say, a windup girl. Nightshade has this story posted on its site, at this link.
Stuart Aken
Feb 06, 2015 Stuart Aken rated it really liked it
A tale of a dystopian future in a world dominated by the companies who manufacture GM crops. The premise is sound and the characters all too credible in this science fiction story. Pace is good and the created world holds enough detail for the reader to become immersed. As in all good stories of this type, much is left to the imagination of the reader, so some may find this incomprehensible in parts. But I enjoyed the tale and found the inevitable denouement satisfying. It's a good read. Try it.
Vivian
Jul 09, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
A short story, a sort of prequel to the novel "The Windup Girl" by Bacigalupi, and since I'm about halfway through that book, thought some background might be useful. It was, although I'm not sure how much would be understandable without knowing some of the terminology from the novel first; Bacigalupi does seem to throw his readers smack in the midst of strange doings, and leaves it to us to figure things out as we go along. Some like this, others don't, I haven't decided yet...but a good intro ...more
Stephanie Roth
Oct 11, 2016 Stephanie Roth rated it really liked it
Good short story, reminiscent of Wind-Up Girl, looking ahead to a dystopian future. The backdrop is famine -- most likely corporate-created -- and the ensuing corporate stranglehold (monopoly) on food production and supply. Despite the lack of length, the book's characters are decently developed and the plot rich. I would have eagerly read more!
Cristina
Dec 27, 2014 Cristina rated it really liked it
Publicado pela primeira vez na The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, este conto foi nomeado para o prémio Hugo e venceu o Theodore Sturgeon. A história decorre na mesma realidade que The Windup Girl, uma realidade no futuro onde as reservas de petróleo se esgotaram e o aumento da temperatura mundial originou uma catástrofe ecológica – a drástica subida do nível dos mares provocou o desaparecimento da maioria das plantas e animais.

De muitos seres vivos restam apenas os materiais genéticos,
Steven
Oct 22, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
This story, along with "Yellow-Card Man", is attached to the version of The Windup Girl that I purchased. After reading the first chapter of the said novel, and having a rage attack, I decided it might be good to read the foundation story to The Windup Girl.

The overarching message of the story, and what I fear is the message of The Windup Girl, is that big business and GMOs are dangerous if left unchecked. That privatization of the food supply and the reduction of the natural resources will lead
Robbie
Sep 24, 2012 Robbie rated it really liked it
Christina
In a futuristic dystopian world, calories are what run the market, and for some, they are in very low supply. Lalji makes a living out of stealing from the few big corporations who make the genetically engineered calories. He is approached to bring a geneticist down river who is wanted by these corporations because for some reason, he is considered a threat. Lalji soon figures out why...

This is a short story and is the first of two predecessors to Bacigalupi's novel, The Windup Girl. There are s
Eija
Sep 20, 2012 Eija rated it liked it
McKenzie Cottrell
Jan 29, 2015 McKenzie Cottrell rated it really liked it
Bacigalupi created a post-apocalyptic world that I could actually imagine happening, and I really enjoyed the way he used flashbacks and the main character's past to reveal how corporate greed and genetic engineering combined could be devasting. It was also fairly well written and I'd definitely read it again sometime.
Amber
Feb 02, 2017 Amber rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Definitely recommend reading this short story before Bacigalupi's Wind Up Girl as this lays a groundwork for the backdrop and history to Wind Up Girl.
Zaz
Apr 08, 2016 Zaz rated it really liked it
The beginning was difficult with all the patented words. Once I understood they were corporations and monocultures, I followed better. This part didn't feel really scifi as we already have it, but the regulation was interesting, as the cheshire cats.
Warren Long
Mar 26, 2012 Warren Long rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. Could almost see where it was going having already done Windup Girl. Neat to see the world of the Windup Girl (Thailand) transposed back to the US, which had many oblique references to it.
Scribble Orca
Windup as in Clockwork?

AgriGen and Co....Monsanto?

I liked the ideas, the setting. I just had a hard time with the prose - I couldn't sink into it. A reflection on the reader, and not on the writer.
May 13, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: tossed, ebook
Interesting view of an alternative future economy.
Bill
Nov 24, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
A short journey into Paolo's dark envisioning of our future, almost too short, it left me wanting more.

This story is included in Pump Six and other Tales, which definitely gave me more.
Rivkah
Apr 02, 2011 Rivkah marked it as to-read
Shelves: possible-to-read
It seems like this book isn't out yet. Short story from 'the windup girl.' Only 28 pages. I guess I'll check 'the windup girl
Katrice
Feb 13, 2015 Katrice rated it it was amazing
This world that Bacigalupi has made is truly fascinating
Joe
Jul 29, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
good short story that helps flesh out an already great world from windup girl.
Mr. Kitty
Mr. Kitty rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
J
J rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Felix Soto
Felix Soto rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Józef
Józef rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2010
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Arbraxan
Arbraxan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Leonard
Leonard rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2013
Joe Wasson
Joe Wasson rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Mattm_uk
Mattm_uk rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Justin Kirkland
Justin Kirkland rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Zero Point
  • Test
  • The Worlds of Frank Herbert
  • I, Robot (Overclocked #4)
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • Moon Over Buffalo
  • Air
  • Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence
  • Crime Net
  • Big City Littles (Newford Book 12)
  • The Fermi Paradox Is Our Business Model
  • What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante and Other Futile Speculations
Paolo Bacigalupi’s writing has appeared in High Country News, Salon.com, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine. It has been anthologized in various “Year’s Best” collections of short science fiction and fantasy, nominated for three Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for best sf short story of the year.

His debut nov
More about Paolo Bacigalupi...

Pump Six and Other Stories (1 books)
  • Pump Six and Other Stories